HotW Path 1 Aldus Stormbringer

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: DownPour.5903

DownPour.5903

I’m pretty sure many are aware of this boss, and i kinda want to bring up the issues with him again.

It spawns mobs that despawn randomly and spawn again. They are not normal mobs but veterans.
Some say that he didn’t spawn any mobs at all before, and all of a sudden he does. Made a player in party quit because of it.

This boss is in current state way too hard and needs too much time to finish. You will just end up dying and running back hoping he didn’t reset alike.

Not to mention it’s not the only dungeon having hard pulls/bosses. It should be doable for people with not full exotic and lesser skilled players.
Currently it seems you have to have super solid tactics with awesome mega skills to do a dungeon at certain times.

So yea, boss too hard. Mostly bosses are ok in dungeons but some pulls time craving.

Desolation

Posted by: Kira.2903

Kira.2903

Dungeons are not supposed to be easy to clear. A-net has stated that dungeons are for those that like a challenge. Some dungeons are easy and some are harder but all can be done, even without full exotic. But its not always you can make it using the same setup as you used in other dungeons/areas and you might need to think of a special strategy for each dungeon boss and maybe even re-trait/change equipment.

S P E L L B O U N D —~--Mesmer —~--Human lvl 80
S P E L L B O R N —~--Necro —~--Sylvari lvl 80
I Kira I —~--Ele —~--Sylvari lvl 80

Posted by: DownPour.5903

DownPour.5903

Understandable.

And yea, I change accordingly to dungeon, also I am used to bosses having tactics and being hard. But some of these are just ridiculous.

But point of this post is mostly about this boss bugging. And also that it is kinda weird pulls are harder than some bosses.

Desolation

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

“Dungeons are not supposed to be easy to clear. A-net has stated that dungeons are for those that like a challenge.”

That really isn’t the point. Path 1 is so insanely easy I have no clue what your talking about. Probably bout 100X easier than SM atm. That boss is actually acting buggy.

It has been stated before the veterans are a bug as of now. They ARE intended but spawn completely random. They have rumors that different things will spawn them, but no concrete evidence atm. We were told he would be patched in coming week(s?).

Posted by: Kira.2903

Kira.2903

Have not done the dungeon myself so cant say if its bugged or not, did not get the understanding it was bugged from the op.

I just commented “This boss is in current state way too hard and needs too much time to finish. You will just end up dying and running back hoping he didn’t reset alike.”, “So yea, boss too hard. Mostly bosses are ok in dungeons but some pulls time craving.”

For me a dungeon being hard and bugged are two different things.

S P E L L B O U N D —~--Mesmer —~--Human lvl 80
S P E L L B O R N —~--Necro —~--Sylvari lvl 80
I Kira I —~--Ele —~--Sylvari lvl 80

Posted by: Ebrech.3148

Ebrech.3148

Did it today and no adds spawned at all. And last boss was acting funny too, he attacked his own crystal for about 5 min. And later got stuck in the ground.

~Isle of Janthir~
www.Spectre-guild.com

Posted by: Lindetiel.4602

Lindetiel.4602

Okay some up-to-date input: I tried this boss Today. He spawned the veteran adds randomly and the adds disappeared randomly too, making it impossible to finish.

Posted by: Shamrocky.5036

Shamrocky.5036

I’m a bit confused on this. This is the last boss of path 1 right? I’ve cleared this path a ton of times and have never had any adds appear in the fight. Are you trying to skip trash and its coming back to get you?

Also, this path is really easy and my group usually has to take a break before we start clearing and let the clock start so we don’t hit DR.

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

@Shamrocky

Aldus is the boss that stands on the lower end of a staircase in a large room. The encounter is seemingly random. Sometimes he spawns adds non stop, sometimes he spawns them occasionally, sometimes he doesn’t spawn any at all. I read that if any party member dies along the way, he will summon adds, but I’m not sure the truth of that statement.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Posted by: Shamrocky.5036

Shamrocky.5036

Interesting… I’ve never had any extra adds in that fight either. Weird that you are getting extra add spawns.

Posted by: setilight.8713

setilight.8713

I saw this a few days ago. Veteran mobs kept spawning every 15 seconds, give or take, and they despawned randomly. My group’s best try got the boss to around 30% by killing the berserkers and ignoring other mobs. We tried killing all the mobs, but they spawned faster than que could kill and we tried ignoring them, which got out squishier Party members dead really fast. The mobs would not despawn on a wipe, making the encounter even harder after each failure.
On other runs through this path no mobs spawned and Aldus was pretty much a faceroll encounter.

Posted by: Brutality.9631

Brutality.9631

Anyone notice that as of the wintersday patch these elite patterns ALWAYS spawn on Aldus? Now I think it’s time for some official strategy cuz this is hard as HELL now. Well, if your team is a bunch of nukes.

Seriously, before when the OP came out, it’s safe to say these patterns were only partially implemented, buggy occurences at best. Now they are permanent and have happened to all parties today. Time to make some proper ways to own the adds or something cuz they’re damn annoying. And they’ll run anywhere you can attack the boss from.

(edited by Brutality.9631)

Posted by: Lmnotz.2057

Lmnotz.2057

From what I’ve seen (We do this path frequently), the veterans will only spawn if one of your party members DIES. When they do, one spawns, and then I believe when they respawn another will spawn as well…take close eye to not die…strategy my friends, strategy…we never have to deal with the veterans…melee stands on the stairs behind him and range attacks him from the top rafters

Posted by: Pirate.4631

Pirate.4631

Just did this path, boss did spawn alot of adds through the fight. And no one died, just went down several times. So I don’t think Lmnotz theory is correct. First time I had done that path in awhile, nice to see it was atleast someone challenging.

(edited by Pirate.4631)

Brutality.9631

Thanks for the replies guys, Lmnotz, when you say DIES do you mean DOWNED during any point in the speech, or during Aldus himself? We didn’t have any deaths but we got three elites right out the gate in two seperate runs, and we always rush the speech because letting that finish has always upgraded his mobs.

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

LISTEN.

READ CAREFULLY.

He is NOT supposed to spawn these infinite Silver adds. It doesn’t matter if you think it is easy or not, it is NOT supposed to happen. It is a BUG. The behavior of these mobs make it obvious, with the way they seeming spawn (and despawn) at random.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Pirate.4631

Pirate.4631

When I did it they didn’t randomly despawn, and he seemed to spawn then at every 25% HP or so.

Posted by: GODLIKEDEVIL.6479

GODLIKEDEVIL.6479

I have done HotW for the past 2 weeks just to get the armor set, and until today, I have never encountered Aldus spawning anything in all the times I have fought him.

Then we run path 1 today, and we hit a wall with Aldus because the mobs suddenly spawn, then we run around, they despawn/disappear, rush Aldus, they appear again at full health, or a different set of mobs appear, same thing, all of them have a ton of HP, it was ridiculous.

I am not sure what’s going on, because we ran the path yesterday, AFTER the Winter’s Day patch build went up, and he didn’t spawn anything. Is this bugged or what?

Posted by: evo.8640

evo.8640

Ultimately Anet tried to do their best with fixing the 3in1 trick that people were doing and they routinely ended up breaking something else.

Posted by: Yeroc.7516

Yeroc.7516

I have been running HotW a lot recently. Path one is definitely harder post-wintersday patch. During my last run, we found getting on the balcony during the Aldus fight seems to bottleneck the adds. This makes it doable. Two people focus on the boss and three on the adds. I don’t mind a more challenging fight but this is certainly buggy behavior.

Brutality.9631

Oglaf. Read more carefully.

You didn’t make this game. Those mobs spawn there for SOME reason, programmed! And you don’t know it. There’s ice on the ground and elites come from it. This CAN NOT BE AN ACCIDENT! Get over it and learn to fight them, we’ve breezed it three times since I posted this. The only real thing you gotta do is step up your battle. If you can’t hang, CoF is still easy.

Thanks for everyone with intelligent data to contribute, it has been very helpful. Pretty safe to assume since this has ALWAYS potentially happened, even months ago with a much lower % chance, that they’ve been trying to implement the difficult stuff they removed due to closed beta complaints. Good luck to all and looking forward to hearing your methods for completion.

We just go 2war 2guard 1whatev and stand on the stairs, nothing even gets downed with all the heals flying.

(edited by Brutality.9631)

Posted by: Satakal.6971

Satakal.6971

@Brutality

Just because something is intended to be by the devs does not mean it’s not bad, or that it could not be bugged. And even if it isn’t bugged, if a feature is indistinguishable from a bug, it needs to be reworked. Needing 2 war and 2 guard goes against the philosophy that any group make up is viable (a philosophy which should outrank their philosophy about difficulty).

I did it lots of times with absolutely no spawns. I kept looking at those icy portals with dread regardless. Today, they just kept respawning. Aldus has a huge health pool, for a straightforward fight with a stationary boss, that’s okay. Not for a boss that keeps respawning tough adds who summon their own adds in turn (the elementals).

Oglaf.1074

I have done HotW for the past 2 weeks just to get the armor set, and until today, I have never encountered Aldus spawning anything in all the times I have fought him.

Then we run path 1 today, and we hit a wall with Aldus because the mobs suddenly spawn, then we run around, they despawn/disappear, rush Aldus, they appear again at full health, or a different set of mobs appear, same thing, all of them have a ton of HP, it was ridiculous.

I am not sure what’s going on, because we ran the path yesterday, AFTER the Winter’s Day patch build went up, and he didn’t spawn anything. Is this bugged or what?

It is a bug, ableit a very, very rare bug (thankfully).

I am not sure what triggers it.

Oglaf. Read more carefully.

You didn’t make this game. Those mobs spawn there for SOME reason, programmed! And you don’t know it. There’s ice on the ground and elites come from it. This CAN NOT BE AN ACCIDENT! Get over it and learn to fight them, we’ve breezed it three times since I posted this. The only real thing you gotta do is step up your battle. If you can’t hang, CoF is still easy.

Thanks for everyone with intelligent data to contribute, it has been very helpful. Pretty safe to assume since this has ALWAYS potentially happened, even months ago with a much lower % chance, that they’ve been trying to implement the difficult stuff they removed due to closed beta complaints. Good luck to all and looking forward to hearing your methods for completion.

We just go 2war 2guard 1whatev and stand on the stairs, nothing even gets downed with all the heals flying.

You’re wrong. Incredibly wrong. If you can’t see the buggyness of this behavior, you’re stupid.

1. It only happens rarely. Very rarely. If it was intended it would happen EVERY encounter.
2. The mobs behave like no other enemies in the game; teleport around, randomly spawn/despawn.

And for the record, I’ve never had a group giving up when it happens. Stop assuming that you’re all superior to everyone else. It is doable, but it still is a bug.

Do you even lift, bro?

(edited by Oglaf.1074)

Posted by: timecookie.8570

timecookie.8570

“Aldus Stormbringer in Honor of the Waves explorable path one now spawns Veteran Icebrood repeatedly during his boss fight. "

Seems like they are silver rather than veteran…

Oglaf.1074

What do we call silver mobs anyway?

Bronze mobs are Veterans, Gold mobs are Champions.

But Silver…? Who knows.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Chibii.3698

Chibii.3698

What do we call silver mobs anyway?

Bronze mobs are Veterans, Gold mobs are Champions.

But Silver…? Who knows.

I have always called them “elite” mobs.

Veteran > Elite > Champion > Legendary

Posted by: Karew.2169

Karew.2169

My group was also affected by the silver mobs spawning and despawning rapidly. It makes it pointless to try to kill them, so you have to work around 5x silver mobs beating you down the entire fight.

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

Elite works for me. anyways.. haven’t run this path in a while. earlier was going for the pants, boots and some runes.. and now after the staff. and i like this dungeon. : )) ran this path once since the patch and for the first time did the adds spawn. we also were not able to clear the mobs before he finished his speech (which i heard caused mobs to spawn, even before this patch).

we would just focus the mobs down. and while doing so, Aldus himself didn’t seem to attack us much. whenever i DID catch him in view while focusing on the adds, i just saw him standing there. need to confirm again as the fights were dragged quite far from the staircase. i wouldn’t say it’s not doable though. though i WILL say, when i did it, i didn’t notice any buggy behaviour (random despawning, goign back to full health, etc). just made the fight longer. will try to notice to see if Aldus does / says anything when the mobs do spawn. so far, just seem like it was sth we never experienced before. the groups i used to run with take things out pretty fast, so really unsure if not being able to finish the mobs before hand (speech end) caused them to spawn.

we had to deal with two full silver mobs and then took Aldus down.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Bartho.7896

Bartho.7896

My group was also affected by the silver mobs spawning and despawning rapidly. It makes it pointless to try to kill them, so you have to work around 5x silver mobs beating you down the entire fight.

Thats not completely true, if you do it smartly you can keep them near boss and AoE them down pretty effectively.
However yes, the main target should be boss not adds.
At least its fun now tho, alot dodging etc, before it was just a “5min afking boss-fight”.

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

wow this boss is so unfun now, I used to enjoy tanking him. Now you to stand up on the balcony to avoid the mobs and shoot through 50 stacks of reflect. Alcohol and programming do not mix!

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

Posted by: GODLIKEDEVIL.6479

GODLIKEDEVIL.6479

Well having recently finished Path 1, I will say that getting to the balcony behind the boss helps, in that it makes the adds chase you in more manageable manners (we had 3, then 6 spawn during the fight) that you could focus down. We also found that if you run around the balcony long enough, they will despawn, but we don’t know what triggers their disappearance/reappearance.

I agree it’s not impossible, but the difficulty feels padded and buggy because of the erratic spawning behavior. What took before about 7-10 minutes can reach 3 times that length.

If it’s supposed to be a mechanic, it’s still poorly implemented.

Posted by: Nonlinear.9823

Nonlinear.9823

as a cond ele i just kite them around the columns in front of the stairs and throw conditions on the boss as I run by. I wouldn’t really call it kiting I just run in circles and spam condition on the boss when it’s in LOS. pretty silly but it works.

Oglaf.1074

Except that when attacked with projectiles he puts up a 50+ hit invunerability shield that also reflects projectiles.

Oh joy.

Do you even lift, bro?

Seren.6850

I did this again last night, I used to enjoy this dungeon. The butcher had a few to many hit points otherwise it was a fun path that I would happily do every day or so.

Aldus was fine, some people use to have trouble on him, but he was a good boss.

I’d really like to hear a dev post about why they did this and what they intend to do about it. I don’t think this boss needed a change but if the adds must stay at least cap them to 3 or make them veterans. Ima sad polar bear

Oglaf.1074

I’d really like to hear a dev post about why they did this and what they intend to do about it.

You and me both. Not only is it too hard for your average group, but it is also sooo buggy that you can’t but ask if it is really intended to work the way it does…

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Lionera.7908

Lionera.7908

Can you guys test something out? I am yet to test it since I’ll be on a crappy wifi for 4 days. So I hear if you come close to him and melee him amd basically just being near him gets adds to spawn like crazy. I can’t remember much but we either ran past him without attacking or we got AoE stealthed by a thief. Hope I help.

Posted by: DrScottyD.5083

DrScottyD.5083

Just tossing my assent in here. For anyone stating this is a “rare” bug, I encounter it literally every time I go through this path. The mobs spawn and despawn randomly and often respawn back full health seconds after you see them disappear. With how hard the boss himself hits, this does make it extremely difficult. Not just “doable” difficult, but buggy difficult.

Anet, please check this fight out!

-Scotty D

Oglaf.1074

It used to be rare. Very rare. When I farmed for my entire HoTW set+a couple of weapons I only had it happen 2-3 times. Recently though its been happening more often than not, to the point were people (myself included) suspect Anet deliberately made it so.

Do you even lift, bro?

Seren.6850

Seems like not many people care about HOTW, bump for the love of polar bears

Posted by: katubug.6378

katubug.6378

I’ve loved hotw for a long time now, but I haven’t played in a few weeks because of finals and winters day. So, having wave after wave of ice brood spawn when my poor party got to Aldus was a really unpleasant surprise. We were for the most part talented and well geared players, but we wiped multiple times before finally giving up. I don’t see that this is a feasible alteration to his boss mechanic. I preferred it before, but I’d accept ONE vet spawning at a time periodically if Anet felt it was absolutely necessary.