How I feel about: Raids lockouts & caps

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: latinkuro.7304

latinkuro.7304

You know every other game out there that has a weekly lockout on raiding rewards does so for one very simple and justifiable reason:

They provide worthwhile rewards for killing Raid Bosses

You have a weekly lockout on raid boss rewards as well, difference is:

Rewards for killing raid bosses are only marginally better than your overall bad RNG based drop rates, increasing those rates by 0.0000000000000000001%

DOES NOT JUSTIFY HAVING A WEEKLY LOCKOUT

And to add insult to injury, if I ignore your kitten RNG based drops and focus on shards so I can get what I want.

NOPE, THERE IS A LOW CAP ON THOSE AS WELL

Are you freaking kidding me.

LOVE: Raids & Fractals.
HATE: Jumping puzzles.
DESPISE: TIME GATES, RNG & THE TRINITY !

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Its fine – the open world PVE has > rewards than the RAIDS…

Yet again ANET Fail to put any real rewards into the PVE High-End end-game content.
SW / AB / TD – go from meta to meta event (end events) – and you’ve got > rewards than any raid.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Posted by: Raizen.7981

Raizen.7981

I did VG yesterday. I got 4g, a named exotic with force sigil that I’ve sold at 11g, a pair of ascended boots, a rare chest piece, and a mini blue VG. Since it was a pug and it took us 2 attempts to kill it(this meaning organized guilds clear it in 4 minutes at most) I’m pretty sure the rewards are very well done. And about the shard cap. You get like 3-5 shards per failed attempt(getting to phase 5 takes 4 minutes to an average pug). Say, you can farm it 12 times/ hour, you’re getting around 40 shards. Now, if you’re dedicated, in 2 days you can get 1000 shards. That means a 550g infusion, an almost full ascended set, or a lot of other rewards, and for what? For you and your group being trash players that can’t even kill the first boss. That’s why there’s a weekly cap.

Posted by: latinkuro.7304

latinkuro.7304

@ Raizen you got lucky on so many counts, as anyone here will tell you, your once in a blue moon lucky draw is exactly what has been wrong with this game since launch.

for example, some people me included used to drop upwards of 3k gold into the mystic toilet and get kitten for it.

Some other dude that just bought the game and knows kitten about it gets a precursor drop.

Thank God, for pre crafting the main reason I got the Xpack to begin with.

LOVE: Raids & Fractals.
HATE: Jumping puzzles.
DESPISE: TIME GATES, RNG & THE TRINITY !

Raizen.7981

@ Raizen you got lucky on so many counts, as anyone here will tell you, your once in a blue moon lucky draw is exactly what has been wrong with this game since launch.

for example, some people me included used to drop upwards of 3k gold into the mystic toilet and get kitten for it.

Some other dude that just bought the game and knows kitten about it gets a precursor drop.

Thank God, for pre crafting the main reason I got the Xpack to begin with.

I was a top tier hardcore raider in RIFT. I quit before the latest raid wing. Why? Because in 7 months of weekly raiding, I got 1 piece of equipment(Rift had 17 total gear slots). Everybody and their grandmother we’re gearing up 2nd and 3rd alts, and I had one kittening drop in 7 months. Raid bosses, just as here, gave currencies, that were weekly capped. A kittenload of currencies were used to purchase raid gear, for the unlucky people like me. The difference was, that there you needed 5 weeks of 40 hours/week currency grind in order to purchase the chest(best piece) , while here you need, for an ascended chestpiece, 4 weeks of…either clearing the raid twice in 1 hour, if you’re an organized group, or failing VG for 3 hours with a crap pug. GW2 is so much more forgiving and helpful when it comes to raid rewards, there’s no room for complaint.

Posted by: perry.9645

perry.9645

(edited by perry.9645)

Posted by: Aesa.4819

Aesa.4819

The raid rewards are really terrible considering both the effort, but also the lockout. After 33 insights from killing all bosses for 10 weeks I have only looted 3 different minis and 1 light asc boots. They should really increase the chances for loot, especially for the unique items the bosses drop.

They said the currency were only for extremely unlucky people, but it seems it is more reasonable to save up and buy the stuff than actually getting it as loot, which seems completely backwards from what they said when the raid opened.
The currency was supposed to be a backup, not a primary means of getting any meaningful loot at all.

TPMN.1483

Raizen.7981 – there is a shard cap of 100 / week?

So your calculation of 2 days – rofl.

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

there’s no room for complaint.

Why is that exactly? Because in some grindy game you had to grind more than here? Please. The fact of the matter is that overall an hour in open world or even the extremely casual fractal dailies will net you better reward than an hour of raiding. That ratio rly isn’t right imo.

Posted by: LegACy.1296

LegACy.1296

Well, if you think open world or fractal gives you better reward, then feel free to those content instead of raiding =p

Personally I think the reward for raiding is okay-ish currently. Sure, it’s not the best in the game, but it’s enough, and “fun” should be the biggest motivation for doing something. Look what happens to a content that people did solely for the reward like Dungeon. Anet nerfed the reward and people no longer do it, I don’t want the same thing happens to raid.

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

Well, if you think open world or fractal gives you better reward, then feel free to those content instead of raiding =p

Personally I think the reward for raiding is okay-ish currently. Sure, it’s not the best in the game, but it’s enough, and “fun” should be the biggest motivation for doing something. Look what happens to a content that people did solely for the reward like Dungeon. Anet nerfed the reward and people no longer do it, I don’t want the same thing happens to raid.

It’s only fun for the first 10th times. Currently its just boring and most raiders get literally nothing out of it. I was lucky enough to have 1 ghostly infusion and a mini gorseval but that doesn’t make it fun. Dungeons were fun because they were challenging (1 person messed up=wipe) and rewarding at the same time while current raid wing is more about doing it once or twice a week and then having to spend the next 5~6 days waiting for the weekly reward.

For players who want difficult content, it is very infatuating to see myself and the group not logging on after the first and second raid clear because there is no challenge. Fractals are joke, dungeons have become jokes due to powercreep introduced in HoT with gutted rewards, and HoT map metas are both mindless and frustrating due to people still not being able to perform a simple mechanic such as CCing when the boss has blue breakbar. Furthermore dedicated raiders can’t even practice at will after completion of raid due to weekly lockout that also prevents bosses from respawning.

There are no contents that correctly rewards players based on their skill. It is about whoever grinds more and spends more time in HoT maps/silverwaste instead of practicing new strategies or improving personal skills. This is why the playerbase is so divided up into many segments with little room for mobility between the segments. The dedicated raiders would only want the best players, the upcoming players/raiders would like to join the dedicated raiders but there are little to no support for them to improve their skill, and so on and so on. At least with reward it makes people improve to an extent since they themselves would like to receive their reward in timely manner.

Just look at the current state of fractal where people join a LFG without AR or actual skills to complete fractals by themselves. After a wipe or two they leave and join LFG since fractals are easy enough to be carried, and they will never learn the mechanics since joining lFGs are much easier than actually trying the content.

Tour

Raizen.7981

Raizen.7981 – there is a shard cap of 100 / week?

So your calculation of 2 days – rofl.

Yes, there’s a cap of 100/week, and that calculation of 2 days was exactly what would happen if the cap were removed. Please read the post before you kittenpost

Posted by: Keksmuffin.1450

Keksmuffin.1450

I got spark from sabetha. 10/10 rewards imo. c:

Bullet Punch

LegACy.1296

snip

It’s only fun for the first 10th times. Currently its just boring and most raiders get literally nothing out of it. I was lucky enough to have 1 ghostly infusion and a mini gorseval but that doesn’t make it fun. Dungeons were fun because they were challenging (1 person messed up=wipe) and rewarding at the same time while current raid wing is more about doing it once or twice a week and then having to spend the next 5~6 days waiting for the weekly reward.

For players who want difficult content, it is very infatuating to see myself and the group not logging on after the first and second raid clear because there is no challenge. Fractals are joke, dungeons have become jokes due to powercreep introduced in HoT with gutted rewards, and HoT map metas are both mindless and frustrating due to people still not being able to perform a simple mechanic such as CCing when the boss has blue breakbar. Furthermore dedicated raiders can’t even practice at will after completion of raid due to weekly lockout that also prevents bosses from respawning.

As I’ve said, if you don’t find it fun, then don’t do it.
I only did enough Fractals to get my first ascended accessory, then I buy the rest with laurels Why? Because I don’t like doing Fractals, I don’t find it fun. I tried to do Tequatl (or Gerent nowadays) daily, why? Because I find it fun.

Also, since when is Dungeon " … were challenging (1 person messed up=wipe) …"? If you’re talking about Arah or Aetherpath, sure, but most people are running the easy dungeon like CoF or AC. And unless you count skipping mobs and stacking is a challenge, they definitely do not give any kind of challenge.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Famster sums it up nicely, pretty much feel the same way here. This week raided for ~1.5h, capped, got nothing to show for it and everyone’s done for the week.

Nothing else in game for them to do since fractals are boring/easy/annoying and open world is faceroll grind fest.

A lot of people played GW2 for instanced group content such as dungeons, pre HoT fractals and those got destroyed so there’s literally nothing else in GW2 for them to do.

ps. I saw you gathering platinum ore the other day famster, SO MUCH FUN AMIRITE MATE.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

(edited by fishball.7204)

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Well tbh I find the reward ok ish. The gold per hour without shards is not that great with what around 10-15 gold per hour with a weekly limit in a decent group. Shard kind of salvage that because if you buy the Infusion after 10 weeks it boost your gold per hour to around 20-25 gold per hour, which is more in line with the rest of the game. It’s hard to feel that way, because for that it’s a item that you only get each 10 weeks at minimum. And that limit you from buying other rewards like skins.

The main problem I see with the raid reward is doubles. I got 3-4 Gorseval Minis and i’m not the only one. You can’t do kitten about those and it’s kind of sad as it cut a big hole in your reward. They should allow you do sold back reward you don’t want or already have to the vendor for like 50-75% of their price in shard and gold.

But the total reward itself have some problem. Like I said, if you are lucky enough to get a Infusion, that you buy an infusion each 10 weeks to sell and you keep the double reward (until the new wing start) then yes it’s a good reward. But it won’t stay the same forever. The double reward will end in 1 or 2 months, you won’t always drop an infusion and you will want to buy something else with your shard at some point. All of that will drop the reward per hour to very low amount.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

cranos.5913

That happens to any content without proper rewards and will happen to these raids fairly quickly compared to dungeons once a few more wings are out. Your idea of “make rewards suck in the first place so ppl don’t leave” is not rly logical.

Fun is never the biggest motivator in the game.

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

snip

As I’ve said, if you don’t find it fun, then don’t do it.
I only did enough Fractals to get my first ascended accessory, then I buy the rest with laurels Why? Because I don’t like doing Fractals, I don’t find it fun. I tried to do Tequatl (or Gerent nowadays) daily, why? Because I find it fun.

Also, since when is Dungeon " … were challenging (1 person messed up=wipe) …"? If you’re talking about Arah or Aetherpath, sure, but most people are running the easy dungeon like CoF or AC. And unless you count skipping mobs and stacking is a challenge, they definitely do not give any kind of challenge.

Telling people to leave if they don’t like content is not the best way to approach things Mr. Trump. Some people like challenging and repeatable contents, and if you only did AC and CoF you would never understand what that was. Hell even fractal 50 and 49 were challenging compare to what we have right now. So basically when all the veterans leave, and raid/fotm eventually follow the same fate is current state of dungeon where no one runs and new players struggle to LFG, people like you will be the one that have to take the responsibility but probably won’t.

A lot of constructive feedback on HoT design and content are made, and those should be implemented to satisfy veteran players because the new players who buy the expansion will eventually become veteran players and find the same issue we already face. Also it is pretty obvious that you are not familiar with skill expectation of dungeon community. You say skipping the mob was easy, but those were made seem easy by everyone in the group contributing to blasting smoke field on short notice, giving swiftness in between by switching weapons, and knowing the blast areas to ensure safety of the group.

Stacking has been dead since September 2014 with FGS nerf. Sure icebow took its place but organized groups have stopped stacking for a while, and its those same people who are clearing the raid smoothly and giving constructive feedback that will ultimately benefit the community. People don’t want gold reward at heart, they want reward that properly reflects individual/group’s skill. Those can be accountbounded skins or titles for all people care, as long as they are challenging and fun people would repeat the content. Why are you against the idea of repeatable and skill based content in general? From your post its blatantly obvious that you have never been in a dungeon/fotm community, or if you were, not a very good player no offense.

MMORPG can never be healthy when it is bleeding players left and out, and that is the current state of Guild Wars 2. I get that your Utopian view of GW2 is forcing every veteran to leave and stop every guide on every content to be published so that every content seem new, but in reality its not. Instead of living in denial about how GW2 is the perfect MMORPG you should really reflect on current state of GW2 and try to give constructive criticism

PS. I’m pretty sure you’ll defend current scribing cost and collection items gated behind failing events

Tour

LegACy.1296

Telling people to leave if they don’t like content is not the best way to approach things Mr. Trump. Some people like challenging and repeatable contents, and if you only did AC and CoF you would never understand what that was. Hell even fractal 50 and 49 were challenging compare to what we have right now. So basically when all the veterans leave, and raid/fotm eventually follow the same fate is current state of dungeon where no one runs and new players struggle to LFG, people like you will be the one that have to take the responsibility but probably won’t.

A lot of constructive feedback on HoT design and content are made, and those should be implemented to satisfy veteran players because the new players who buy the expansion will eventually become veteran players and find the same issue we already face. Also it is pretty obvious that you are not familiar with skill expectation of dungeon community. You say skipping the mob was easy, but those were made seem easy by everyone in the group contributing to blasting smoke field on short notice, giving swiftness in between by switching weapons, and knowing the blast areas to ensure safety of the group.

Stacking has been dead since September 2014 with FGS nerf. Sure icebow took its place but organized groups have stopped stacking for a while, and its those same people who are clearing the raid smoothly and giving constructive feedback that will ultimately benefit the community. People don’t want gold reward at heart, they want reward that properly reflects individual/group’s skill. Those can be accountbounded skins or titles for all people care, as long as they are challenging and fun people would repeat the content. Why are you against the idea of repeatable and skill based content in general? From your post its blatantly obvious that you have never been in a dungeon/fotm community, or if you were, not a very good player no offense.

MMORPG can never be healthy when it is bleeding players left and out, and that is the current state of Guild Wars 2. I get that your Utopian view of GW2 is forcing every veteran to leave and stop every guide on every content to be published so that every content seem new, but in reality its not. Instead of living in denial about how GW2 is the perfect MMORPG you should really reflect on current state of GW2 and try to give constructive criticism

PS. I’m pretty sure you’ll defend current scribing cost and collection items gated behind failing events

…wait, are we talking about raid reward, or something else entirely? =/
Because you seems to be talking about the hardcore dungeon runners, and I don’t think GW2 ever have good rewards that reflect their skills as well? I mean, yeah, I’ve said that I barely do any fractals, I dislike them. So of course I’m in no dungeon community, and I’m not going to comment further about that.

Again, my argument about the raid reward is that “it’s enough for me”. And I’m not sure I’d still be playing GW2 if it has no raid (well, maybe I’d be farming some hot map). So no, I don’t have any other constructive feedback other than “Please bring the next wing sooner”.

P.S. I’m doing neither the guild scribing stuff nor the precursor crafting either, so no comment on them

Posted by: Oh Snapalope.1378

Oh Snapalope.1378

Killed something every week, started doing full clears after like week 9. Not a single ascended box or unique drop. Got tons of duplicate minipets though.

Also not to mention a lot of people are buying eternal titles and think they are hot stuff because they bought kills. They then try to pug and ruin other people’s runs because they actually have no idea how the fights work since they bought the kills. It’s like they don’t want people to play their content.

(edited by Oh Snapalope.1378)

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

If the rewards for any single part of the game outshine all others by too large a margin, then that part of the game becomes the focus of the entire game for many people.

Like it or not (and some of us do like it), the whole point is that rewards should be balanced across all activities in order to encourage people to play the aspects of the game they most want to play (which can include raids, but doesn’t have to). In other words, you should want to raid because you enjoy raiding rather than because of the pixelated reward (just as you should be able to do any part of the game for the same reason).

At the same time, each part of the game can have some unique rewards – which raids definitely do in the form of unique ascended weapons and, eventually, legendary armor.

Anet has to be careful to walk a fine line, however, and not let raid rewards outshine the rest of the game – or they risk not having anything in the end game other than raiding (which has happened with many other MMOs).

cranos.5913

If the rewards for any single part of the game outshine all others by too large a margin, then that part of the game becomes the focus of the entire game for many people.

Like it or not (and some of us do like it), the whole point is that rewards should be balanced across all activities in order to encourage people to play the aspects of the game they most want to play (which can include raids, but doesn’t have to). In other words, you should want to raid because you enjoy raiding rather than because of the pixelated reward (just as you should be able to do any part of the game for the same reason).

At the same time, each part of the game can have some unique rewards – which raids definitely do in the form of unique ascended weapons and, eventually, legendary armor.

Anet has to be careful to walk a fine line, however, and not let raid rewards outshine the rest of the game – or they risk not having anything in the end game other than raiding (which has happened with many other MMOs).

Kinda hard to focus only on raids when it’s 1h per week content…

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

I agree… and one way to fix that would be… you know? RELEASE A NEW WING.

4 months since the release of the expansion and we still have only 1 wing with 3 bosses. I know making a raid takes time but couldn’t they up the speed a bit? With only 3 bosses you are done with raiding in ~2 hours with a decent group right now.

If we had let’s say 2 raids with 3 wings and 3 bosses each we would have 18 bosses per week for potential loot. Anet should try to get to such a point faster.

Oh btw one thing we shouldn’t forget is that only the newest wing will grant 4 gold per boss. That’s right each boss from the first wing will give you only 2 gold (once per week) once the next wing is released.

TPMN.1483

The hardest content in the game should reward the players who can complete it the highest rewards / hr.

It’s that simple as in real life…
The top 1% of any chosen field (sport, science, business) are rewarded in the top 1% in that area.

It’s embarrassing when face roll content such as Silverfeces or Auric Basin (sounds like a toilet tbh) – rewards a higher gold/hr ratio.

Right now the raid rewards may be doubled (pure gold) – wait a few weeks it’ll be netted to hell. The barrier and costs to entry to the raids are high – the ticket price is > 300-400Gold for s single toon (if you have to craft stuff without a box or 30). You can forget about ghostly infusions – it’s a fad and the price will come down fast as more people do the raid and get shards… Lowering the gold/hr even further.

Most of the top end players couldn’t give a monkeys about ghostly infusions (esp when they can’t be a +7 agony – fail there ANET : raid team didn’t talk to Fotm team) another ascended weapons as we already have so many for all our toons already.

We still have the same problems we were complaint about .. The reward for challenging face roll open world content is higher than any organised content.

It’s simple the buying power of swapping raid rewards for open world rewards just isn’t working…and I tell you what gets funnier…

The gold/hr return from raids is getting less each week….. The infusion is now about 400g – wait another 4 weeks it will be 100g and at some point hit 10g.

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

The hardest content in the game should reward the players who can complete it the highest rewards / hr.

Keep on dreaming!

We still have the same problems we were complaint about .. The reward for challenging face roll open world content is higher than any organised content.

That is what they want. GW2 is a “special” MMO. It’s for casuals not the 1% gaining better stuff than others.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Ya like raid is only done by the 1% lol.

Raid should get one of the best reward per hour. Not necessarily the best, but one of the good ones. Not only because it’s one of the hardest content, it’s also the one that take the most time to master. Before you start to do like 15 gold per hour, you practice for hours and hours costing you gold more of the time. And on top of that, it’s a one thing per week content, compare to other content which are either daily or don’t have a cap at all on them.

Personally, i’m ok with the reward for now. I think that it probably need a little bump, but not by much. My problem is that as time pass, the reward will drop. We already start to get double mini that are useless, the XP is becoming useless for more and more people, the gold reward will be nerfed 50% in 1 or 2 months when the next wing get in-game, and the most expansive item to sell (ghostly infusion) just keep dropping in price slowly, but surely. If the reward is ok ish right now, it will be pretty bad in 1-2 months.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

The game itself is in a terrible state atm and it’s getting worse.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: Agyaggalamb.4796

Agyaggalamb.4796

I agree completely regarding the slowly decaying rewards in the long term that will need to be addressed in the near future. However, shards should not have a weekly cap at all. Better raiders are basically done with the raid and easily hit the cap by Wednesday.

In our guild, the veteran team clears the raid on Monday, and then helps the not so veteran players to get their kill. It’s okay, as they consider it a shard farm, but after that it gets a bit bitter, as the cap hits and they are doing the raids for nothing. Good luck forming a party during the weekends.

This game has so many gates, mostly for account bound rewards, I can’t even comprehend… If the weekly cap is so important to prolong the value of stuff that could be sold (infusions in this case) then make said stuff only obtainable once per week or once per account. That way one who is unlucky with drops but wants that stuff can have it, while the one who would just farm shards and sell it off multiple times making profit and then the price plummet would somewhat be prevented in doing so. Of course the said stuff could still drop normally making the price slowly decreasing over time, but they can add a mystic forge recipe, or a collection if that needs to be prevented and they want that stuff in a certain price range.

All the frameworks are there but their utilization is somewhat lacking at this point.

(edited by Agyaggalamb.4796)