How can group forming be so hard?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: FreshToDeath.4512

FreshToDeath.4512

Hi,

I’ve been playing the game for a few weeks now and 2 of my RL friends and I have lvl 80 characters. We are good at teamwork and have all done extensive raiding in the big mmo. When getting into the game I thought about the lack of the LFG system but assumed that with a little work it would be decently easy to form groups for lvl 80 explore mode dungeons.

This has not been my experience. This game is so beautiful and I enjoy the dungeons and have been successful in all the ones I’ve been able to find/form groups for. But it takes more work to form a group than any video game I’ve played. I use the LFG site, I use map chat in Lion’s arch, my friends and I even transferred to SoS in hopes that a higher population would aid us. We spent time talking with different guilds who all claimed that they did lots of PvE. I just can’t understand how even tapping all these resources it is still this hard to get grouped up for something. If after literally 30 minutes of asking in guild chats, asking in map chats, and trying to contact randoms from gw2lfg and I still don’t have a group together I start to give up. Tonight I tried to find people for 45 minutes for ANY explorable dungeon and still couldn’t find any takers. I just don’t understand how an in game automated lfg system isn’t in place, or how there aren’t more people that want to do dungeons. It just seems ridiculous to me.

GW2 is the best looking, most fun combat mmo I’ve played. But if I can’t find people to play with then what good is it?

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

This is mostly a problem with PuG groups at the moment. When I started, I did dungeons with a few friends myself, and we built our team through inviting friends of friends. Now, getting a group is nearly effortless because we just easily invite the people we know. My advice is to either join a good guild that facilitates your playstyle (perhaps create your own since most just want to fill their guilds with numbers) or create a team from reliable people you meet. If you’re caught in a PuG cycle of inviting new faces every day, you’re not really progressing and will always have to find new people over and over again. Hopefully, one day, GW2 will have a decent group finder tool like they did in GW1.

Posted by: DungeonDaughter.7391

DungeonDaughter.7391

I see groups for AC, TA, COF, HOTW, CM, ARAH right this second on gw2lfg, so get back on play?

edit – Now I see one for COE too.

“We just don’t want players…in Guild Wars 2.
No one enjoys [it]. No one finds it fun.” —Colin J.

Posted by: TheAngryLuddite.1834

TheAngryLuddite.1834

A group finder channel or tool would be really helpful.

Map chat is the only place to look for PUGs, and then getting ‘message suppressed’ after being unable to find a group for half an hour is just a slap in the face.

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

I see groups for AC, TA, COF, HOTW, CM, ARAH right this second on gw2lfg, so get back on play?

That doesn’t mean much. Often people are unresponsive or the group has already been formed – they just haven’t taken down the post. I have yet to find a full group using the LFG site.

Posted by: Stridix.4260

Stridix.4260

I tried finding lvl 38 frats for 2 days, and we can’t form a full group.
But guessing it was not prime time when I lfm itso that could be the reason.

Posted by: DungeonDaughter.7391

DungeonDaughter.7391

That doesn’t mean much. Often people are unresponsive or the group has already been formed – they just haven’t taken down the post. I have yet to find a full group using the LFG site.

You’ve had some bad luck then. I’ve found over a hundred groups in the last month solely using the LFG site. I had one problem and one problem only finding a group, and that was for fractals 39, which is to be expected.

Anyway, feel free to add me to your friends. I’ll run dungeons with anyone. And I hope your experience with the site gets better cause it’s more lively than LA chat these days.

“We just don’t want players…in Guild Wars 2.
No one enjoys [it]. No one finds it fun.” —Colin J.

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

Personally I’d like to see a dungeon queing system in place. Just click on the dungeon and enter a que, when 5 people que the DGN is ready and youare asked if you’d like to go into the dgn. The sstem is already inplimented in other MMOs so you’d think it would already be a part of GW2.

Posted by: Wartna.8671

Wartna.8671

^
So because other MMO’s have it, GW2 should have it to? I disagree.
I’d like to choose with whom i team up with, people need to learn to have some patience. I agree that it takes to long somtime’s to get a group, but you can do other things in the meantime. Btw, 45 minutes? Really? Or you’re completely bullkittenting us, or you’re doing something wrong.

Far Shiverpeaks
Kalevala [KALE]

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

^
I’d like to choose with whom i team up with, people need to learn to have some patience. I agree that it takes to long somtime’s to get a group, but you can do other things in the meantime. Btw, 45 minutes? Really? Or you’re completely bullkittenting us, or you’re doing something wrong.

In other MMOs the existence of a dungeon queue doesn’t preclude the ability to group up with people you already know. I’m not sure what reason you have to think that a possible GW2 system might mean otherwise. And no, often times there really isn’t much to do in the meantime – you’re either spamming LFG in the relevant zones or scanning the lfg site. And finding a group for certain dungeons at certain times of day is often a 45+ minute experience. It’s super irritating to see so many people calling out BS about lfg times – how are you in any position to comment on someone else’s experience? Ask questions about under what conditions it’s so difficult to find a group, but suggesting it might be BS is premature and, frankly, stupid.

The experience of one person is not the experience of all, and it’s tiresome to see so many people suggest that the current system of spamming lfg or scanning a third party site is adequate to address the needs of the entire player population. When someone only has 2 hours or so to play a night the suggestion that people should just have “patience” is callous and uninformed.

Posted by: Konfuzfanten.6503

Konfuzfanten.6503

1) Join a guild that is older then 4 months. A lot of guilds will advertise with guild events, WvW, dungeons runs or whatever, look for guilds that have survived the test of time/moved game. If a guild can survive moving game then it will properly have a solid core of players.
2) stand in LA and wait for ppl to spam “LFxM for XX dungeon”, and yes it happens a lot. In the past 30 mins, out of primetime(1 am english time), on aurora glade there was 5 LF1M for non fractal dungeon.
3) Build a friend list with ppl you meet doing dungeons.

Commander of Blade and Quill[BaQ]
Aurora Glade <3

Posted by: Wartna.8671

Wartna.8671

I agree with you that you somitime’s need to wait 45 minutes or more for a particular dungeon, i even experience that myself if I’m looking for a group for FotM scale 40+. The OP said that he waited 45 minutes to find a group for ANY dungeon, I think that’s clearly over exaggerating, therefore I call it to be BS. Second thing you burned me down for no apperent reason was that I said I’d like to know with whom I party with. Nowhere did I say I meant friends, I also meant people I don’t like. For example: i’ve been stuck on scale 41 for ages, i’ve been in some party’s where i got in some heated arguments, i don’t like to team up with those people again. I agree with you that something should be done about the LFG in this game, though I am sick of seeing all this post about it. In my opinion Anet has other more important things to attend to.

Far Shiverpeaks
Kalevala [KALE]

Posted by: AzK.8415

AzK.8415

^

In other MMOs the existence of a dungeon queue doesn’t preclude the ability to group up with people you already know. I’m not sure what reason you have to think that a possible GW2 system might mean otherwise. And no, often times there really isn’t much to do in the meantime – you’re either spamming LFG in the relevant zones or scanning the lfg site. And finding a group for certain dungeons at certain times of day is often a 45+ minute experience.

Spot on reply, i for example, stopped playing the game entirely shortly after release after getting a char to 80, i just couldn’t be bothered at all without dungeon tool.

Now i’m just checking here every couple months or so, waiting for the day anet will finally implement the kitten thing, but i see they’ve made 0 progress so far.

It’s just stupid to not have such a mandatory feature in a modern mmo that features instanced pve.

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

Well I did a few runs with the OP and his friends today, good people. I think like others have said you just got to find like minded people and when you find players you like add them to your friends list and keep in touch with them and you’ll soon always have people you enjoy being around to do dungeons with.

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I tried finding lvl 38 frats for 2 days, and we can’t form a full group.
But guessing it was not prime time when I lfm itso that could be the reason.

How can you seriously expect to form a fractal group that high within a reasonable amount of time? You’d think by then you’d get some allies or guild members to run with you all the time.

Posted by: RaymondFung.2805

RaymondFung.2805

Here may be the answer for FotM
1. Fotm need overflow for player from different server
2. U may be suppressed because you LFM too much
3. U need switch between GW2LFG.com and GW2 ( for send invitation )
4. U need to press F5 to refresh gw2lfg.com until u job is done
5. Fotm need special requirement ( u need to have gold and luck to upgrade items ) to go for higher level
6. Some player got frustrated and left with the group after waiting 30mins