How do you interpret the term "exp" from LFG?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: adam.8692

adam.8692

What the title says. I do not wish for a discussion. I only would like to understand how different people interpret this. So give me your interpretation and don’t address other people who will give theirs. Cheers.

Edit: Just to clarify: by "exp" I already mean experienced. But the question is at what point do you consider yourself meeting the requirement? Is it after completing dungeon once? Twice? Hundred times? Maybe after your 1st successful solo attempt?

(edited by adam.8692)

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Experienced.

If there’s P1, P2, P3, P4 or any path at all in the description, it is more than obvious that Exp means that they want experienced players. (Unfortunately, newer players might not know what P1, P2, P3 or P4 mean, and oftentimes will believe that it means Explorable).

Back then when I played and also started my own groups, I would add “XP”, as it was used to abbreviate experience in other games.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Kicking is extremely common in this game, “experienced” is basically an easy way to say “we’ll kick you if you don’t know what you’re doing” so, as soon as a player is confident he won’t get kicked is probably the best way to define the term “experienced”.

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Experienced in pugland means knowing the encounters and adapt/know the strats. You have to know both optimized strats and pug ways, though.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Posted by: Veckna.9621

Veckna.9621

I interpret “exp” in LFG posts as a joke. Chances are nobody in that group will be close to what I’d consider an experienced dungeoneer.

Posted by: Acotje.5689

Acotje.5689

When I put Exp in my LFG it means I wont explain kitten to you.
I probably wont kick you, but dont expect any help. You should have read the LFG.

Hello darkness, my old friend.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

It means “there are good players here so feel free to join with your minimum lvl, well-spamming staff Necro and we’ll carry you” right?

Acotje.5689

It means “there are good players here so feel free to join with your minimum lvl, well-spamming staff Necro and we’ll carry you” right?

Also, owww there are good players so i can come on my lvl 66 guard to cm and get carried. Fun part is, he left 30s before the end boss died.
He ofc didnt know that cause he never got past the big house. It is, after all, a big and confusing house for new players

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

“exp”
I have more than 70% of the Dungeoneer X collector title in token worth (> 7203 tokens) by playing the dungeon (no PvP reward unlocks and no buying paths).

This would equal to over 100 runs of the dungeon.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

When I see pugs advertising an “exp” group I pretty much assume it’s noobs looking for a carry.

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

Acotje.5689

Fun Fact: P1 Exp Zerk Meta Build will give you the same pugs as P1 PO-TA-TO

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

It means the group is running an exp-lorable path.

Duh.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

exp.

“At least, I did one path of this dungeon once.”

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: petrocksteve.8653

petrocksteve.8653

To me, it means “I know how this is done in a PUG.” This is basic strategy and knowing how/where the boss is usually fought (in a PUG context).

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Exp- I got a letter in the mail about this dungeon once. I think.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

To me it means: know your profession and know what you must do in each bit of this path.
Because to me it’s pretty pointless to know the path and be unable to do your job with a specific profession.

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Posted by: Depths.4051

Depths.4051

Exp = Experienced

Typically advertised by groups that aren’t welcome to ppl that are new to dungeons. If you join one, they don’t want to explain the path and will likely kick you since they want to do the run quickly.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

To me, it’s “you’ve done the dungeon at least once before and know what’s coming”. I’m actually perfectly happy to take newbies; the only difference is that with newbies I just have to explain what we’re doing (and sometimes why) before the different sections of a dungeon. If the newbies are actually halfway competent with decent gear, it actually doesn’t take much longer than the typical experienced PUG run.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I’ve always wanted to put my ads as:

“Scale 8, swamp rolled, experience preferred but adaptability accepted, reading and responding to party chat is required, attempting to take leadership of the group not allowed, toxic perfectionism not welcome, exotic+ gear only (stats must compliment your build), can learn how to kill mobs if running not possible, can jump, can live with a few mistakes, can learn from own mistakes, does not drop 50 IQ points as soon as something breaks the standard run/stack methods, all classes welcome”

but that’s just a wee bit out of the message limit now is it not?

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

“exp”
I have more than 70% of the Dungeoneer X collector title in token worth (> 7203 tokens) by playing the dungeon (no PvP reward unlocks and no buying paths).

Thanks for the definition … at least now I know I won’t be able to count myself as experienced for another year or so .

Posted by: GrimmR.3541

GrimmR.3541

Wait, what ?
Doesn’t “experienced“ mean that I can join on any class I want, don’t switch traits and weapons for different situations and if we wipe I blame the others from the group!

kitten , that’s how I got it out of PuG-runs.

toxic since 2012

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

To me, it means “I know how this is done in a PUG.” This is basic strategy and knowing how/where the boss is usually fought (in a PUG context).

Yes, this is how I think of it too. So I don’t join groups with exp for paths that I don’t actually know well, like cm p2 and cof p3. I’ve done them (cm p2 at least a dozen times), but if expected to take the lead I’d be clueless.

(edited by Lalocat.6793)

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

“exp”

Thanks for the definition … at least now I know I won’t be able to count myself as experienced for another year or so .

Everyone has its own definition, that’s mine and that’s why I don’t pug.
After 2 years you most likely ran it hundreds of time (hundreds of paths, not whole runs)

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Exp: A flytrap to catch people that want to be carried.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: FerrenoNL.7928

FerrenoNL.7928

I used to put my runs up as ‘p# exp’, but last time I did that I ended up with a little snod and his XP booster.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

“exp”

Everyone has its own definition, that’s mine and that’s why I don’t pug.
After 2 years you most likely ran it hundreds of time (hundreds of paths, not whole runs)

Actually, even though I’ve played this game for close to two years, I’ve only started running dungeons “seriously” a few months ago, and am still far from 7k tokens per dungeon (even if you add tokens earned on both accounts that I play on). Still I’m probably much more experienced in most dungeon paths that many of my casual guildies who have a ton more skins and tokens, but still think “speedrunning” is skipping a mob or two with a group of staff guardians, shout-heal warriors, bearbows, and gs mesmers .

“Experienced” is really a subjectiv criteria. As you can see in this thread, there are not many people who put up the same definition for the term. The problem is that there really is no fool-proof way to measure experience. Amount of tokens earned, paths run, hours spent in dungeons vary as much as the kinds of groups and strategies used by groups all over the game. Depending on mood and path, I would or would not join a group looking for “exp(erienced)” players, although I am confident enough in my abilities to feel that I would match the expectations included. Contrary to the poster above me (who I very much value as one of my favourite dungeon companions ) I’d never ask for exp (or even lvl 80) in an lfg though, because I feel it’s just too unspecific a criteria to really target the people I’d enjoy playing with.

GrimmR.3541

Don’t believe what Miku says; all he does is SE. Everytime he asks for SE..

toxic since 2012

oxtred.7658

or CoF p3. Right? Right?

GrimmR.3541

Right oxyboy!

toxic since 2012

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

I means nothing at all.

Might aswell just put a “Dungeoneer” title requirement and pray you don’t get someone who got it in PvP.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

avoid if possible because some other noob is gonna see it as explorable and not experienced

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

Everyone knows that…

EXP = EXPERIMENTING

The other day i joined a 4/5 aetherpath EXP ONLY group, and they are all experimenting with oozes, then i decided to make my own LFG… but wasnt sure about how should i advertise neither… because EXP didnt quite fit my plans.

(edited by sMihaly.1492)

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

“exp” doesn’t mean anything.

But because someone felt the need to put it there without anything else, I won’t consider joining this group.

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

How do you interpret the term “exp” from LFG?

Do not join! Make your own lfg, look for friends, or just do it solo.

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

it is more simple than you think. “exp” is a dogwhistle that say “expect to be kicked if you don’t know what you are doing or not listening”.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

it is more simple than you think. “exp” is a dogwhistle that say “expect to be kicked if you don’t know what you are doing or not listening”.

Thats funny whenever I try to kick no one seconds me. :P

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

From my experience, whenever I join a group with “exp” advertised, it usually means the group is not experienced and are looking to learn from players who are. The host is usually inexperienced although seems to think they are. I tend to avoid joining parties with “exp” advertised because it often, but not always, results in joining a party that I either have to teach or carry or I have a host who doesn’t know what he is doing and blames everyone else when he’s doing the wrong thing.

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

I rarely put “exp” in my lfg post anymore. I would just put “p1 zerkers” or whatever the path I’m doing. Sometimes I would replace “exp” with “melee,” though.

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

I interpret exp as “I know how to stack in a corner and spam 1! That’s all I have to do to win, right? Maybe press 2 if I’m a warrior?” Just go in and be prepared to carry/solo everything. Especially in Arah. Then collect the QQ tears when the pugs complain with “It’s a MULTIPLAYER game! No heros needed!!”

Besides, reading is an exploit.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

exp = know your stuff, if i sense something is wrong i’ll kick you out.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

exp = know your stuff, if i sense something is wrong i’ll kick you out.

Pretty much this. Just don’t be bad and have done it enough times to know where to go and what to do. If we need to have a talk, something is wrong and some one is probably getting kicked.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I interpret exp as “I know how to stack in a corner and spam 1! That’s all I have to do to win, right? Maybe press 2 if I’m a warrior?” Just go in and be prepared to carry/solo everything. Especially in Arah. Then collect the QQ tears when the pugs complain with “It’s a MULTIPLAYER game! No heros needed!!”

Besides, reading is an exploit.

! ! ! WB to the forums Dan!

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

Expectation: Know the basic pug strategies of the path, understand the encounters, bring basic class specific utility like blinds, reflects, or buffs.

Reality: Will be a noob hoping to be carried by experienced people – if called out on noobish-ness will say, “I thought exp meant explorable”.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

I used to put my runs up as ‘p# exp’, but last time I did that I ended up with a little snod and his XP booster.

Cough, just my kazul post back in September..

I’ve always thought that “Experienced” in the LFG means that I should have Experience booster running. That’s why I always bring my lowbie alts to the “80 | Experienced” parties since my goal is to be 80 and I’m using experience booster.

On a side note, aww, yiss, it’s IvanTheGrey!! \o/

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I read it as “experienced.” As in “Only experienced players need to apply.” I like some of the definitions here that set actual stats, though, like Miku’s. And I agree with Rasimir that the term can be somewhat subjective. (I admit it, a few other “definitions” made me smile. )

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I read it as “experienced.” As in “Only experienced players need to apply.” I like some of the definitions here that set actual stats, though, like Miku’s. And I agree with Rasimir that the term can be somewhat subjective. (I admit it, a few other “definitions” made me smile. )

Confused the hell out of me for a few seconds until I scrolled up.

D: lol

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I would just like to point out, not everyone who is new to dungeon X, path Y, etc., is horrible at video games and/or following instructions.

Some of us are just that – new to dungeon X, path Y.

That said, I avoid “exp” if I don’t know the dungeon/path because I expect people to have no patience with my ignorance of common strats.

But I am just one person. If you go by this thread, it’s apparently a very unreliable way to get an experienced group together.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: BBMouse.6510

BBMouse.6510

It does not matter how exp is exp. If someone is there to kick, they will by all means.

I was just in an exp dungeon yesterday playing ranger. There is another ranger who seems to be less “exp” because his pet aggro mod and breaks our stacks and he does not F3 the pet. People start complaining about pets then both of us got kicked.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Whenever I see “exp” in a party advertisement, I can instantly know that the team is going to be terribly bad. This isn’t just true for gw2, though, but for any game I know.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

oxtred.7658

I usually ask for exp ( amongst other things- it usually looks like p1, berserker/assassin meta build, exp, ping gear) and let’s be honest, I’m not terribly bad. For a pug standard, at least.