How do you interpret the term "exp" from LFG?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

I read it as “experienced.” As in “Only experienced players need to apply.” I like some of the definitions here that set actual stats, though, like Miku’s. And I agree with Rasimir that the term can be somewhat subjective. (I admit it, a few other “definitions” made me smile. )

Confused the hell out of me for a few seconds until I scrolled up.

D: lol

Quit already so I can dominate the forums, ty :>

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Aria.5940

Aria.5940

I interpret exp as having done the path before and if there have been changes, having done it again after the most recent changes.

Some paths (CM p2) really are hard to know the pug strategy for as it varies widely depending on the group (there are at least 3 different pug strategies for kegs, possibly more). So in such, I understand exp as knowing there are kegs and that you need to place them somehow. So while for some dungeons, I can see the point of exp meaning knowing the strategy, for others it’s impossible to know before joining the group.

That said, I also always wonder at the lfg exp and usually avoid them if there are other options. In the end, what matters isn’t what I think exp means, but what the group leader thinks it means.

Posted by: Equilibriator.8741

Equilibriator.8741

I’ve always wanted to put my ads as:

“Scale 8, swamp rolled, experience preferred but adaptability accepted, reading and responding to party chat is required, attempting to take leadership of the group not allowed, toxic perfectionism not welcome, exotic+ gear only (stats must compliment your build), can learn how to kill mobs if running not possible, can jump, can live with a few mistakes, can learn from own mistakes, does not drop 50 IQ points as soon as something breaks the standard run/stack methods, all classes welcome”

but that’s just a wee bit out of the message limit now is it not?

we need to develop a term just for this, like “Fuse-less exp people only”

my problem is i consider myself to be very experienced at dungeons and am generally just a very good player. The problem happens when a new tactic has been created, on top of the three existing tactics, and people get kittened of at me for not knowing the newest tactic….when the way i normally do it works just fine, suddenly i’m kicked cos i ask a question like “why arent we just doing it standing here?”

then i find a party that will show me, and its like…..making a difference of about 1 minute to the fight and im like…..jesus……some people must have no life if that one minute matters so much they would kick someone and spend 2 minutes finding a new person.

(edited by Equilibriator.8741)

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

http://s4.postimg.org/d2iu41wrx/screenshot_2014_10_17.png

learn new things everyday.

But why in CM?

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

I interpret “exp only” as “I am experienced with the path(s) listed on this particular LFG post” in other words, the player joining has at least completed the listed path(s) once. It does not mean experienced with the other paths that are not listed on the post.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I usually ask for exp ( amongst other things- it usually looks like p1, berserker/assassin meta build, exp, ping gear) and let’s be honest, I’m not terribly bad. For a pug standard, at least.

^^ my group typically does similar, though personally I’m no longer allowed to post LFGs because I just ask for silly things.

I think the typical one my friend puts up is “path zerk exp no necro, no second guard/mez” or something like that. We typically run with a guard or mesmer, and very very very rarely can the pug ones be depended on to do what we want them there for so we typically just want people to bring some more damage or be a bot that can activate a button so we can get past things

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

After running countless pug runs I came to conclusion that the general public views “exp only” as “I may have run this path before at least one time” and nothing more.

Posted by: Terrin.2685

Terrin.2685

It means if you haven’t memorized the dungeon and the fights you are not welcome.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It means if you haven’t memorized the dungeon and the fights you are not welcome.

That’s how I interpret it, too.

I go from the viewpoint that people only type stuff into LFG in the hopes that others will appropriately filter themselves in or out. Why would someone type in “exp” or “experience” unless they only wanted people who would know the meta for that particular dungeon, including appropriate profession, build, and where to stack?

In contrast, “No exp required” would mean (to me) that I shouldn’t expect people to have optimized builds or know the route.

Unfortunately, it’s generally not enough to type this into LFG. I recommend that you also verify in /party chat that everyone is on the same page before starting out by repeating the requirements/requests.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in an “experienced only” group to have a newbie join and ask for directions or to be in a “no exp required” group and find someone annoyed that people aren’t stacking in the expected spots. (And since I rarely PUG dungeons, I can imagine it’s maddening sometimes for people who run them daily.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Earlier this evening, see Ele and Guardian posting LFG in CM: “P3. Know your stuff!”. Join with my Thief. Lvl 46 Ele. Lvl 51 Guardian. Combined total of 2200 AP….

One yesterday: “All paths. Zerker 80s Only.” Good looking team comp. I join. Lvl 56 Ele was the one who had started the party.

(edited by Tman.6349)

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I always used it a EXPlorable mode. Which is what it used to be used for. And that what i always use the term for.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: mcgriddles.2416

mcgriddles.2416

I’ve had good pug dungeon runs, and I have also had absolutely atrocious ones. I have had more bad pug dungeon runs than good ones.
Call me grumpy and cynical, but too many players honestly do not care at all about what you put in your LFG listing.

My LFG listing for dungeons usually looks like this: “p#, 80 only, zerker/exp only”
And without fail, I’d say about 6-7 times out of 10, I get non-80s, people who have no clue what to do, and my personal favorite, people who are not running zerker/meta builds.

I would LOVE to make my listings a bit more detailed to hopefully attract a more suitable crop of players, but too many people don’t read the listings at all. And they think that we don’t notice, but we do. And they don’t care if they don’t meet the qualifications or expectations. I may be grumpy but it’s pretty much the reason why I don’t run dungeons anymore. I am sick of leaving parties, I’m sick of kicking people and then struggling to find good replacements, or kicking people and then losing one or two other members of the party.

I don’t join dungeon LFGs that ask for “any level any build” because that’s not what I’m looking for. I would never even dream of joining an LFG that openly stated they only wanted lvl 80 characters on a non-80. That’s just rude. So why do other players find it acceptable to do this? I’ve actually seen posts on other websites where people who run non-meta/non-zerker builds were bragging about joining zerker/meta parties and messing up their dungeon runs. It’s ridiculous.

If you want a non-meta, non-zerker, any level dungeon experience, then post your own LFG. Don’t ruin other people’s gaming experience just because you have some sort of personal grudge against people who prefer the meta.

/end long grouchy rant

Incursiƶn [iN]

(edited by mcgriddles.2416)

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Its Guild Wars 2 thats why.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

The worst which could happen in these EXP runs are those terribad ‘exp’ people who constantly preach about their terribad builds that are superior than the meta, based on their own exp.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Reading is hard for people. I post as follows:

p#, L80, experienced

…and it does pretty well on average. The number of times I kick players who enter the dungeon on their L56’s or whatever is astonishing, though. Fortunately, I qualify under Miku’s rules for what counts as experienced in all dungeons, and yeah a lot of times I carry a bunch of bad players, but sometimes I get people who join who really do know what they’re doing. On the flip side, if I don’t advertise for experienced, I never get any experienced players without fail. That’s the only reason I use that advertisement, because it sometimes works as opposed to never works.

It’s not too bad in the end, but it could certainly be better.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Maybe it’s just me, but I tend to have better experiences in my “Any Welcome” groups, then with an “EXP only” group. I’m not looking for speed clears, or the most optimal runs ever, and I am not disappointed. Most the the problems I have with pugs, come from “EXP only” groups. People raging about why the ranger is carrying a longbow, or why I’m not wearing “zerker”, etc. people getting kicked if they accidently die at some point. People are much more polite, engage in party chat more, and tend to have more fun in an “Any welcome” group.

That being said, I’ve got nothing against those who want the most optimal runs ever, with only zerker/meta builds, or whatever. But using “exp” in the LFG (in my experience) leads to the “elitists” that rage and kick if you don’t meet their exact ideals of how to do the dungeon.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

p#, L80, experienced

…and it does pretty well on average. The number of times I kick players who enter the dungeon on their L56’s or whatever is astonishing, though. Fortunately, I qualify under Miku’s rules for what counts as experienced in all dungeons, and yeah a lot of times I carry a bunch of bad players, but sometimes I get people who join who really do know what they’re doing. On the flip side, if I don’t advertise for experienced, I never get any experienced players without fail. That’s the only reason I use that advertisement, because it sometimes works as opposed to never works.

strange, I make completely nondescript or “anyone welcome” lfgs and I either get bombed by people who know me or other experienced players from smaller dungeon guilds … who probably recognise my name.

GIVE ME YOUR BAD PLAYERS

PLEASE

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

p#, L80, experienced

strange, I make completely nondescript or “anyone welcome” lfgs and I either get bombed by people who know me or other experienced players from smaller dungeon guilds … who probably recognise my name.

GIVE ME YOUR BAD PLAYERS

PLEASE

Challenge accepted :P

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

GIVE ME YOUR BAD PLAYERS

PLEASE

Being recognized is nice when it gets you smoother runs! But the next time I run into some bad players (later tonight, probably) I’ll tell them to whisper you for dungeon tutoring.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

screw tutoring I haven’t got time for that **** anymore I can barely even motivate myself to play let alone sit in a game i don’t want to play with randoms for like 2h teaching an instance

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes