How long did it take you to solo Lupi?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Negatron.7264

Negatron.7264

I have basically romantically involved myself with videos of the fight, so I know the mechanics. I know WHAT he does. But when it comes down to fighting him, it is a bit… difficult to say the least.

I have probably tried fighting him over 30ish times, and only on my last run got him to phase 2. Yeah. THAT bad. I am quite happy to have gotten him to phase two, and consider it a personal accomplishment, but kitten .

I guess I am just looking to see if I am REALLY bad, or if I am among other understanding souls. Haha

Edit: Also, I roll warrior, though I have access to all classes but ele.

(edited by Negatron.7264)

Posted by: Sanderinoa.8065

Sanderinoa.8065

Im just going to keep quiet on this thread to keep myself from annoying people.
(actually its just to avoid cyberbullying ;_;)

BUT I am interested!

Also, please mention your class

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]
Retaliate is recruiting. again!
Fancy a Read? Extensive PvE Mesmer Guide

(edited by Sanderinoa.8065)

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

It takes a while to get consistant at phase 1 when you first start learning. Dont worry about it too much. Just keep practising and make sure you focus.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I think I needed 4-6 hours with small breaks in between until I was able to solo him the first time (that doesn’t mean it was smooth.. my solos are still not smooth. lol). However I know of people who spent 4 days (6 or so hours each day, so a total of 24) until they manage to kill him. Really depends on you. I personally find p1 to be the most difficult actually, but maybe that’s just me.

Negatron.7264

Im just going to keep quiet on this thread to keep myself from annoying people.

BUT I am interested!

Also, please mention your class

Haha I roll a warrior. Although guardian looks very interesting.

But I am sure if I were to ever get it, it would be on the warrior.

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

First solo took me a good 7 hours of practice. But I didn’t have any experience at al with Lupicus before that, I solo’ed it before I killed it in a party :P.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Hard to remember exact number but like 20 hours or something (maybe even 30 h).

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

14 hours. Was worth it. If you’re on NA right now, we can work on it. PM me if you want.

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

I am pretty sure that it took me around 14 hours. I bought 30 slaying potions and when I brought him down the first time on my Guardian I was at 13, although I rarely maxed them out since I usually got annoyed at some point and quit before the 1 hour mark.

I had ZERO experience in Arah, except for doing it once about a year ago for my dungeon master. I didn’t know anything about him except that there’s something about Grubs. So I watched countless videos, failed and watched them again. When you’re watching such a video for the first time you do notice that he does an AoE attack and the person is dodging or using blocks but only after failing a couple of times I realized that I had to manage my dodges, blocks and invuls rather carefully. So I watched it again and again knowing where to look. I repeated this process countless times especially for p3.

After that, I did it on warrior (took 3 attempts) and thief (don’t remember, maybe one or two lol). Once you know his attacks in and out it’s very easy to do it on other classes although I don’t have a necro so … ;>

It was one of the best experiences in this game since it introduced me to soloing serious content and just made me a better player. After this I started soloing other things and started caring about the time not just about doing it. So, totally worth every second!

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Around 7 hours. Took even longer after that for me to be able to solo him with any consistency.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: cifer.2357

cifer.2357

Surprisingly it only took me 5-6 tries cause healing signet is kittenedly OP. You can get hit by 75% of the frenzied blast and still recover before he uses his next attack with it and life-steal food. I did melee quite a lot with groups before finally deciding to solo it though which helped me learn his animations. I did thief on my second try (with wall) with 5/6/0/3/0.

(edited by cifer.2357)

Posted by: Subi.8014

Subi.8014

Surprisingly it only took me 5-6 tries cause healing signet is kittenedly OP.

Brand/Cifer such a showoff :p
It took me 3hrs worth of attempts to solo lupi on warrior for the first time and a few more tries to do it without any defencive skills (which held me back for the most part). However I did have some experience meleeing lupi in pugs before hand. I have also now soloed on thief too and would say they both are of similar difficulty but warrior is probably better if you are having most trouble with phase 1.

Subi [qT]

(edited by Subi.8014)

Posted by: Rainmaker.7594

Rainmaker.7594

It me maybe 8 hours total for a full solo. The first time I tried (with walling him) for about an hour, then started to get some lag, so I quit. Second time I did it without walling him, and it took about 7 hours with a few breaks. Phase 1 was definitely the biggest challenge for me. I think it only took me 2 or 3 tries once I got past phase 1, but I had plenty of prior experience fighting phase 2 and 3, especially when pugs wiped. I also always run my own builds rather than the meta (engineer, and I don’t like grenade combat).

Posted by: Eulolia.2467

Eulolia.2467

I went to Lupi on 7 or 8 different days before killing it, probably about 15-20 hours in total. Mind you, I didn’t use teh wall until I got fed up of dying in phase 3.

Broke up the boredom by killing trash in the room before him.

Subscribe for exciting guild wars 2 videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/eulololia/

Posted by: Bart Weird.9671

Bart Weird.9671

It’s always better to start with a friend and try to work it out together.
After u got used to the phases, evades and your rotations spent a couple of hours
to experiment for yourself and you should be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sudhKI2v_sM
[Grawl Shaman Duo Scale 80]

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

Took me a long time but I didn’t use the wall for p3 which makes it WAY easier especially for phase three which is mostly trivialized by it. So if you just want to get it done learn to keep him on the wall.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

I started Arah with duo/Trio for selling, then one day I’ve decide to solo Lupi for whatever reason. It took me an hour to solo Belka, another hour with running part, took me 2 attempts with abom, then to Lupi. After countless attempts at phase 1, I gave up on my guard and rolled warrior. On my warrior everything went smoothly except Lupi, but after good 5~6 hours collectively, I finally soloed him on my warrior. After doing some practice runs with using endure pain, stamina signet, and balanced stance (which I still use for safe runs) in many Arah PUG groups, I went back to my guardian and soloed Lupi easily. I still need to learn how to trigger Lupi’s barrage but other than that I can now solo Lupi on two classes. Right now I’m working on my mesmer and ele so that I can solo Lupi on four classes

Tour

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Around 7 hours. Took even longer after that for me to be able to solo him with any consistency.

This was about the same for me, but I’m going to go ahead and say probably between 8-10 as a ballpark guess.

I didn’t really attempt it for sessions longer than 2ish hours though, and it was over the course of maybe 2 months. I’d attempt it once, get frustrated and stop and then not try again until maybe a week or so later. I think it was pretty easy for me to tell when it was hopeless and I wasn’t ready yet.

It takes lots of practice and even when I was able to consistently solo Lupicus, I couldn’t do Alphard until way after (granted she was bugged with the 1-shot pull thing but still). I think Alphard took me nearly as long to solo my first time as Lupicus did tbh.

E: forgot to add something. Phase 1 took me way way way longer than phases 2 and 3 did. Phase 2 was the absolute easiest for me by far, aside from the transition grub taking a few attempts to get used to. Fortunately for me back then it was quite a while before they added the cooldowns on embers, so I didn’t have frustration with wasting an ember when I was learning. :P

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Negatron.7264

Such fantastic advice… thank you everyone… I truly appreciate the boost of confidence.

Quick question – Is it possible to solo the elite trash outside of Lupi’s room? I can tolerate constantly dying to Lupi, but running back to him, dodging elites is half of the frustration at the moment.

Purple Miku.7032

Such fantastic advice… thank you everyone… I truly appreciate the boost of confidence.

Quick question – Is it possible to solo the elite trash outside of Lupi’s room? I can tolerate constantly dying to Lupi, but running back to him, dodging elites is half of the frustration at the moment.

Yeah.

I’ve done it many times, clear the whole area before Lupi out of boredom while waiting for buyers.

Don’t judge me. :@

Negatron.7264

Yeah.

I’ve done it many times, clear the whole area before Lupi out of boredom while waiting for buyers.

Don’t judge me. :@

I am not judging! I am impressed! I cannot manage to kill those guys… as a warrior?

Purple Miku.7032

Yep. It’s best to LoS them by the Lupicus arena entrance and use GS + axe/sword.

In order of most dangerous/difficult to least dangerous/difficult I’d say…

Champion Orrian Warrior
Elite Risen Elementalist (freakin’ chill is annoying)
Elite Risen Illusionist
Elite Risen Mage
Elite Risen Hunter

http://www.twitch.tv/purpleishawt/c/4720146
I have this on my highlights page which shows me basically playing it really safe to solo the champ without any armor. His bladetrails are blockable but you can’t dodge them, so it might be easier for you to use mace mainhand.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Two weeks with lags and 2 hours without.
Reckless Dodge, y why u gone?

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Eulolia.2467

Eulolia.2467

I gave up on trying to solo the champion but the rest isn’t too bad. The eles and illusionists I would just kind of run around the foot of the bumpy rocky ledges on the left of the room to keep LOSing, the mages are easily killable if you switch to ranged, and the hunters usually die if you kite them to about 75% then burn them fast with endure pain and defiant stance. Not really worth the time though, unless they are really getting on your nerves.

When I was learning the first boss in p2 (I didn’t watch any vids of her, so I didn’t know you could run out of combat to heal and put her on the start spot) I killed every single trash mob before her once. That was a bit more pointless. Think I did the sentinel/deadeye packs before abomination too, but that is something I’d like to forget (was just looking for terrain skips)

Subscribe for exciting guild wars 2 videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/eulololia/

Posted by: obal.3218

obal.3218

My first solo on guardian took 1 hour which was my 2nd attempt and lasted 37min . It was ranged for phase 1-2. My first full melee one took me 3 hours with full knights gear on the 7th attempt which was almost 30min. That was back when anchor was meta and no one had ever done it on anything besides warrior. I had done duos/trios and taken groups full of first timers countless times so it all helped me do it with ease. My first full berserker melee one took me 3 hours. My latest one with no vigor and 1 energy sigil took me about 3 hours again and 10 hours to do it reliably and get a good time.

Warrior took me 5 hours. I felt like a noob since guardian took me so little time and warrior should have been easier. It took me some time to figure out how sword 4 worked and to deal with WA delay and fumble dodges.

Staff guardian, bowbear ranger, p/p thief, and flamethrower engi took me 1-2 hours each. This was after reliably being able to solo him on guardian and warrior though.

Sanderinoa.8065

If you’re on EU, call me up for it sometime I love cleaning

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

2-3 hours mostly because I had done so many duos with Obal that I had a fairly good understanding of the fight. I did it off the wall with full defensive utilities that I didn’t need besides stability for the grub (this was before using an ember to get the grub was well known). My first walled solo with full dps utilities took like an hour, first off the wall solo with full dps utilities took like 2 hours. All of that is warrior. For thief, my first solo took like 3 hours to do since it was such a change from warrior.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

My first solo was on guardian with mace for an additional block. Took about 10 hours to kill the big bad wolf in about 15 minutes. The times when bubbles were scary without reckless dodge/evasive arcana bring old memories.

That was back when anchor was meta and no one had ever done it on anything besides warrior.

I did it :p

Dub.1273

Remember the famous ranger letting his bear tank the grubs?

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

I think it took me 2-3 days at least. I don’t remember exactly.

Purple Miku.7032

Stop being inactive n come back :<

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

Took me like 4 tries. But that was when he was already tried by the community so I knew what to do and expect.

And I still die once in a while.

And I started using stamina signet ever since my network started lagging and only got worse over time.

Defeated by packet loss.

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

I didnt count in hours the amount of time it took me to solo him, but i practiced soloing him for over 2 months until i finally did it. My case was the same as Trice’s, i learned to fight Lupicus and to run arah before trying to run it in a group.

I remember that i had a lot of trouble with phase 1 too, i was dodging at the wrong time the grub atack, another thing that was difficult for me to learn was the warrior’s sword block, i dont know why but i remember pressing the key but the block would still not happen, which was infuriating because if i tried to press “5” twice i would always cancel the block. I think i managed to fix that by pressing and holding 5 until i was sure it worked. Nowadays i dont have that problem anymore.

But i remember how it was exciting when i finally got to phase 3, at that time i didnt know about the wall trick, so i was always anxious when he was close to be killed, i was always wasting endure pain on stupid things instead of saving it for the barrage atack or the bubble. And in the time when i did manage to get him to phase 3 but i ended up getting hit by the life drain and making him come back to phase 2. It was fun ^^

(edited by Casmurro.9046)

Purple Miku.7032

I didnt count in hours the amount of time it took me to solo him, but i practiced soloing him for over 2 months until i finally did it. My case was the same as Trice’s, i learned to fight Lupicus and to run arah before trying to run it in a group.

I remember that i had a lot of trouble with phase 1 too, i was dodging at the wrong time the grub atack, another thing that was difficult for me to learn was the warrior’s sword block, i dont know why but i remember pressing the key but the block would still not happen, which was infuriating because if i tried to press “5” twice i would always cancel the block. I think i managed to fix that by pressing and holding 5 until i was sure it worked. Nowadays i dont have that problem anymore.

But i remember how it was exciting when i finally got to phase 3, at that time i didnt know about the wall trick, so i was always anxious when he was close to be killed, i was always wasting endure pain on stupid things instead of saving it for the barrage atack or the bubble. And in the time when i did manage to get him to phase 3 but i ended up getting hit by the life drain and making him come back to phase 2. It was fun ^^

I think everybody tends to have that problem at times, and it’s caused from trying to activate it immediately after a dodge roll I’m pretty sure.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I think everybody tends to have that problem at times, and it’s caused from trying to activate it immediately after a dodge roll I’m pretty sure.

Yes, that’s it. I never learn it and I don’t know how many times I died due to this combined with my stupidity.

Dub.1273

Someone used to suck up all my available time, but I don’t really feel like visiting gw2 anyway. As I may have said a few times already, despite graphics, gw1 is a much better game. Less grind, less qq, more tactic, better reward system = more fun.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

I pug a lot and still do I don’t remember how many tries or hours it took me, but how I did it was through the help of patient pugs.

This was back when ranging phase1 was still meta I’d join pug arah groups on my warrior or mesmer (whatever I felt like playing at the time) and I would ask if i could melee lupi. This resulted in many fails as it took many groups and tries before I could actually read the kick tells. Luckily, in many cases, the pugs would try to rez me when it was safe and I would continue or more often than not the group would wipe and I would get to retry.

This went on for what seemed like 3423523 years in my head. One day it just clicked and I was in a good rhythm. I started seeing patterns and everything suddenly became easier. Eventually, I was able to carry pugs consistently past lupi during arah runs. It was a good feeling. Not long after that I started to do solo dungeons attempts.

Thank you friendly pugs!

Purple Miku.7032

Someone used to suck up all my available time, but I don’t really feel like visiting gw2 anyway. As I may have said a few times already, despite graphics, gw1 is a much better game. Less grind, less qq, more tactic, better reward system = more fun.

It’s a shame as I still consider you as overall one of the best GW2 players in PvE and it also saddens me that there may not be a Lupi Swag #3 now

Dub.1273

Thanks, thanks. I’ll do my best for #3, you might get Dhuum Swag if you don’t mind.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

It’s a shame as I still consider you as overall one of the best GW2 players in PvE and it also saddens me that there may not be a Lupi Swag #3 now

Dub nuuuuuuu!!!!! You must come back!!!!

Posted by: obal.3218

obal.3218

My first solo was on guardian with mace for an additional block. Took about 10 hours to kill the big bad wolf in about 15 minutes. The times when bubbles were scary without reckless dodge/evasive arcana bring old memories.

That was back when anchor was meta and no one had ever done it on anything besides warrior.

Sorry, I forgot about that screenshot. I think you did it on ele too at that point but there was nothing to really look at to learn from except Wethospou’s videos at the time. I know mine were inefficient as could be that I did

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I remember when I was still on EU and you just made your ranger, you had the bear trying to res you and you stayed like that for ages because lupi couldnt kill the bear. Was like the ultimate down tank

good times, do miss Don’t miss the bear pulling deadeye shots through me though

Sanderinoa.8065

Sorry, I forgot about that screenshot. I think you did it on ele too at that point but there was nothing to really look at to learn from except Wethospou’s videos at the time. I know mine were inefficient as could be that I did

Inefficient 30 minute guardian solo pride!

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Dub.1273

I remember when I was still on EU and you just made your ranger, you had the bear trying to res you and you stayed like that for ages because lupi couldnt kill the bear. Was like the ultimate down tank

Bear confirmed to be OP.

Nova got your part of that covered. I still love you, though.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Acotje.5689

Acotje.5689

Bear confirmed to be OP.

Nova got your part of that covered. I still love you, though.

Would you come back if they gave Rangers Siege Turtles as tank pets? Or gaki’s!!

Hello darkness, my old friend.

Dub.1273

How about you coming back to gw1 aco? We’re 6/8 for 14 min uw speedruns.

And no, I’d come back if gw2 cancels grind, reworks its reward system (fail=fail) and gets some more interesting build system.

Dub | [rT]

maha.7902

Grind in GW2 is aesthetic and self-imposed, so I don’t see where the problem is.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Ascended grind + infusions isnt aesthetic.

maha.7902

The stat difference between exotic and ascended is so negligible I’d still call it self imposed. I want to eke out every last bit of DPS for solos so I grind out ascended (= self imposed). It’s not “you can’t perform content without ascended” – hell you can still do fractals without it, you just can’t do higher levels, and 50s are basically the same as a fractal 1 besides mobs hitting harder, sometimes being more numerous and extra stuff on the loot tables.

There’s no content you’re barred from without ascended, the only thing you can’t do (and I suppose depending on the fractal you can dodge agony attacks) is a more challenging version of the same content you can perform without ascended.

Grind is not a problem in GW2, the problem is the mentality of the playerbase.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

GW1 had grind as well

eotn title tracks((((((