How many dungeon's before DR?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

Q:

I’m new to farming dungeons. I want to earn enough tokens for multiple armor sets. How often can I do the dungeons in a row before I hit DR?

If I run SE path 3 with my Guardian, can I immediately run the same path with my Mesmer? How long must I wait before the Guardian can run it again w/o DR?

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

A:

Dungeon DR resets for an individual path every 2 hours. This is to say that you cannot run the same path consecutively within a 2 hour timeframe or you will DR. You can run different paths in that 2 hour time period and be fine. Furthermore, you cannot finish 5 or more runs of any dungeon paths in a single 2 hour time period, or you also will hit DR.

In addition, every dungeon path has a +40 token bonus for completion the first time per character per day, which resets at the daily reset time. That has nothing to do with DR, but is rather a bonus, so don’t get confused!

Note: ANet has stated they will never explain the system fully to us, so this is determined based on countless encounters with DR myself and a lot of study into the matter. I hate wasting my time and hitting DR on legitimate runs, so I make it a point to try and avoid it.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

(edited by Rising Dusk.2408)

Beorn Saxon.4762

Thanks. I’m unclear of your second statement, if you run a path 5 times in 2 hours you hit DR, when your first statement says that you hit DR after running a path 1 time, until it resets 2 hours later.

Also, is there a penalty for clearing it to fast?

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Rising Dusk.2408

The second statement isn’t “if you run a path 5 times in 2 hours you DR”, it is “if you run any 5 paths in 2 hours you DR”.

Also, is there a penalty for clearing it to fast?

Not unless you hit DR. I clear all 3 paths of AC daily in 40-50m with my guild without any penalty. Then I do something else that doesn’t use DR, like FotM, before doing more dungeons.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: nightwing.2179

nightwing.2179

I run the same dungeon paths on my main and alt and haven’t hit DR. We skip mobs and bosses, and we still get 60 in the end.

As an example, I run AC path 1, 2, 3 on my main for 180 tokens total, plus the 3s from the wonderous goods. I switch to CoF for 1, 2, 3 with same result. Then I repeat with my alt starting with AC with no DR.

SBI since account creation

Rising Dusk.2408

Note the time differential between when you finish AC path 1 on character XXX and character YYY. You’re doing all of CoF inbetween your AC paths. Using your example, there’s actually quite a time lapse there. The issue arises if you do:

AC p1 → AC p1 → AC p1 etc.

Posted by: nightwing.2179

nightwing.2179

Ah I understand now, my apologies.

SBI since account creation

Posted by: Guilhermezz.2601

Guilhermezz.2601

If I run like nightwing said

AC path 1 AC path 2 AC path 3 With my main and then

AC path 1 AC path 2 AC path 3 with my alt, do I get (180 + 180) 360 tokens?

Rising Dusk.2408

You will, depending on how long it takes you to do that. If you run it too fast (more than 5 dungeon paths in 2 hours), you will see DR. If you take it a bit slower (say ~25m per path), then you will not be DR’d.

Guilhermezz.2601

So I can do AC all paths and CoF 1 and 2 at my main, then AC all paths and CoF 1 and 2 at my alt

Thanks for the quick answer

Posted by: Heliox.8632

Heliox.8632

Dungeon DR resets for an individual path every 2 hours. This is to say that you cannot run the same path multiple times within a 2 hour timeframe or you will DR. You can run different paths in that 2 hour time period and be fine. Furthermore, you cannot finish more than 5 runs of any dungeon paths in a single 2 hour time period, or you also will hit DR.

Note: ANet has stated they will never explain the system fully to us, so this is determined based on countless encounters with DR myself and a lot of study into the matter. I hate wasting my time and hitting DR on legitimate runs, so I make it a point to try and avoid it.

slightly inaccurate but close. The DR does NOT reset after two hours. The way it really works is that you cannot have 5 dungeon completions existing in a 2hour window frame. It gives you the illusion that itll reset in 2hours when in reality, the DR is continuous depending on when how fast you finish each explorer mode.

Exp1 – Finished at 12:00
Exp2- Finished at 12:12
Exp3 – Finished whenever
Exp4 – Finished whenever
Exp5 – Finished 13:59 (will hit DR). Finished at 14:01 (will not hit DR)
Exp6 – Finished at 14:11 (will hit DR. Finished at 14:13 (will not hit DR).

Get the pattern?

Rising Dusk.2408

For the record, I’ve already identified your DR listing in my original post. It’s the second part of the third sentence. Also, I think you are incorrect in claiming that I am mistaken, but am open to being proved wrong. Consider the following:

Conditions:
- All tests were performed 24 hours apart
- All tests were performed at least 20* times to verify reproducibility

Results:
AC p1 → AC p1 (20m runs)
Result: DR

CoF p1 → CoF p1 (15m runs)

Arah p3 → Arah p3 (20m runs)

*I’ve performed ~20 tests altogether with AC, CoF, and Arah and am doing more daily. Figured I’d give some clarity here so there would be no ambiguity.

If you are claiming that my assertion is wrong, then please explain why those situations, stand-alone, result in DR. I have been studying dungeon DR as thoroughly as possible since its insertion into the game, and if you know something I don’t, then color me curious.

Edited for clarity and formatting.

Posted by: Heliox.8632

Heliox.8632

For the record, I’ve already identified your DR listing in my original post. It’s the second part of the third sentence. Also, I think you are incorrect in claiming that I am mistaken, but am open to being proved wrong. Consider the following:

Conditions:
- All tests were performed 24 hours apart
- All tests were performed at least 20* times to verify reproducibility

Results:
AC p1 -> AC p1 (20m runs)

CoF p1 -> CoF p1 (15m runs)

Arah p3 -> Arah p3 (20m runs)

*I’ve performed ~20 tests altogether with AC, CoF, and Arah and am doing more daily. Figured I’d give some clarity here so there would be no ambiguity.

If you are claiming that my assertion is wrong, then please explain why those situations, stand-alone, result in DR. I have been studying dungeon DR as thoroughly as possible since its insertion into the game, and if you know something I don’t, then color me curious.

Edited for clarity and formatting.

I didnt say you’re wrong, I said slightly inaccurate. What most people dont realize is that there are 2 types of DR in placement. Not just one. They do interact in a weird way.

1 type of DR deals with the # of explorer paths done in a time frame (2hrs).
2nd type of DR deals with running of the same explorer path on a different toon within a time frame (2hrs).

You are able to get 60 tokens from the same path, same dungeon, same daily, if you spread the run out on 2 different toons by 2hrs.

There is no actual “reset” timer for DR is more what i was trying to get across. The DR is dependant on the fact that no 5 runs can exist within a 2hour time frame.

If i ran 10 explorer runs in 2hours (which btw i do legitamately), starting from 12:00 – 14:00, if I ran a 11th explorer run at 15:59, I will still hit a DR until 16:01.

Rising Dusk.2408

I see, so you perfectly agree with my first post then (I said exactly what you just said). Perhaps the wording made it confusing, and for that I apologize; there isn’t actually a timer, I agree, but there are time spans that must be adhered to in order to avoid DR. Glad we are in agreement and that our testing agrees; makes me more confident in my findings. Cheers.

Posted by: Zadren.9018

Zadren.9018

How long must I wait before the Guardian can run it again w/o DR?

This i’d also like to know
Can i run AC 1>2>3>Wait 2 hrs >AC 1>2>3 on the same character?

Rising Dusk.2408

You would only get 20 tokens per path the second time you did it instead of 60, but that’s not DR. The +40 token bonus is first-time-per-character-per-day. kittenrthermore, the 2 hour wait is really between the time you finish p1 the first time and the time you finish p1 the second time. You don’t have to wait 2 hours between when you finish p3 and finish p1.

Posted by: Zadren.9018

Zadren.9018

oh i get ya, thanks for the quick response

Posted by: PolarApe.9351

PolarApe.9351

Note: ANet has stated they will never explain the system fully to us

This infuriates me.

Guilhermezz.2601

Now I understand why yesterday I was unable to get 60 tokes two times haha…

I’ve logged at my alt, and ran AC Path 1, then started path 2 with the same group but the group was failing at the spike trap event, after a few minutes some friends called me to do AC with them, then I leave the fail group and joined my friends group.

Logged with my main and did the path 1 again and only received about 30 tokens, that kitten me off haha… But now I’m happy that I’ve finally understood how the system works.

Today I will try to run AC all paths, wait about 2 hours and do it with my alt.

Thank you all for this tests that you’ve done.

Posted by: Dicellol.4153

Dicellol.4153

Dungeons work like dailies. For me they, like every other daily task they reset 11am AEDST. Once a day each path gives you 60 tokens. Running the same paths on an alt counts as a first time as well. Think of the limit as soul bound rather than account bound. On that note there IS an amount of time in between running the same path on 2 different toons. Doing cof 1 back to back on different toons will hit dr for the second run. Spacing them out will not. Thus there are 2 types of dr. Once a day dr and, we’ll dub it, character to character dr. Or “too quick on your alt”. Hope this helped. Oh also this was told in an official post on the most recent big dungeon update.

Sea of Sorrows #1
Team Shatter [TS]

Rising Dusk.2408

Dicellol, what you’re saying is true, but it is unrelated to DR. Every dungeon path has a +40 token bonus for completion the first time per character per day, which resets at the daily reset time. That has nothing to do with DR, but is rather a bonus, so don’t get confused! The actual DR is described in my posts above (and in the posts of a few others).

Beorn Saxon.4762

Dicellol, what you’re saying is true, but it is unrelated to DR. Every dungeon path has a +40 token bonus for completion the first time per character per day, which resets at the daily reset time. That has nothing to do with DR, but is rather a bonus, so don’t get confused! The actual DR is described in my posts above (and in the posts of a few others).

Can you edit/add this into your original answer? Thanks!

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Rising Dusk.2408

It has been done.

Posted by: Dicellol.4153

Dicellol.4153

Oh i see, so you’re saying that money and xp stays the same?
I knew that it was a bonus i just worded it as a DR for the ease but it all makes sense now thanks.

Sea of Sorrows #1
Team Shatter [TS]

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

ANet has stated they will never explain the system fully to us

Yes because we totally didn’t figure this kitten out already.

Posted by: inbetween.5623

inbetween.5623

Uh, Rising Dusk’s answer is slightly wrong.
You CAN do the same path more than once in the same two hour period without incurring DR. Proof? Personal Experience. I do this every other day. Ignoring the 60 token first run. I get 20 tokens for a specific path and then do another path, and then return to the initial path and complete it and get 20 tokens again. No DR.
What you cannot do is repeat a same path two times in succession. This will immediately give you the Specific Path DR s/he is referring to.
Also i do believe you cannot do more than 4 runs in any 2 hour timeframe, not 5.
Though this i cannot be 100% certain of. But i know i can complete 5 dungeons within 2 hours and on the 5th run i always hit DR.

Rising Dusk.2408

I’ve tested this with CoF 1 → 2 → 1, and I suffer DR pretty reliably on the second playthrough of path 1. I’d be interested in hearing more about your test cases. There may be more to it than either of us thought, and it may have to do with the specific case of CoF being such a fast dungeon (I can perform the aforementioned test in a single hour, which may lead me to believe in a “no more than 2 paths in 1 hour” limit).

Also, I am in agreement about the 5th run in 2 hours DRing you; I think I mistyped this in my first post in this thread despite saying what you said in posts after that. Good catch.

Posted by: icozy.1248

icozy.1248

C1 P1 = 60 tokens (20 min) (12:00 when finished the dungeon path)
C1 P2 = 60 tokens (20 min) (12:20 when finished the dungeon path)
C1 P3 = 60 tokens (20 min) (all together 1 hour) Now go play with your DOG (for 1 hour)
C2 P1 = 60 tokens (20 min) (14:01 + when finished)
C2 P2 = 60 tokens (20 min) (14:21+ when finished)
C2 P3 = 60 tokens (20 min) (14:41+ when finished) (again 1 hour)
Go eat something take a shower and come back
C3 P1 = 60 tokens (20 min) (16:02+ when finished)
C3 P2 = 30 tokens (20 min) (16:00- when finished) = if you would w8 this 2 more minutes you would get 60 tokens
C3 P3 = 60 tokens (40 min) (took you long because your dog needed to pie! 17:01 when finished)
in the maintime you can walk your Dog do other dungeons or do human stuff like eating!

Posted by: Predator.9214

Predator.9214

I do not understand this crappy DR system.
Me and my friends just got out of the AC, done all 3 paths and recieved DR each path. Note that we did CoF path 1 & 2 and recieved full reward.
AC path 1 – 60 tokens (26s), AC path 2 – 45 tokens (19s or something close to it), AC path 3 – 30 tokens (13s). Everybody in party got these results.
Will someone explain to me why did we recieve DR? Do these “developers” even want us to play the game? Or should we just sit in LA so God forbid you don’t get DR-ed? Flawed system is flawed.

Mistwarden Lara (Herald)
Assassin Stef (Daredevil)
Snow Crows (SC) | Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Predator.9214)