How the heavys destroyed the fun in PvE

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: layzoe.6035

layzoe.6035

Lately, I have seen on lfg.. no guard. I have been on my mesmer more than my guard lately and I don’t have a problem getting in with any groups. I do see no rangers or necros on description sometimes but it’s rare.

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

You would be surprised just how much the challenge in this game has diminished because of the stacking phenomenon. Just yesterday I went to COE with a pug group and they were all completely wiped by alpha about 3 times in a row because Alpha was moving more than usual and left the corner a lot (I survived all three times after seeing the group die extremely quickly and running away), until at one point I said: Let me kill it. They agreed, and Alpha was dead in about 3 minutes.

Thing is, most people want to make believe that stacking is a sound strategy, when in reality it may not be so. I know some things are best to stack to, but if it weakens your individual skills and abilities to adapt to random situations, then whats the point?

So the challenge is diminished because of stacking or stacking is hard? Not sure which..

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

I think he’s saying that stacking has a negative effect on players that don’t understand the underlying mechanic. I understand it as something similar to giving children calculators before they learn to do math by hand.

By the volume of posts that assume stacking constitutes of “Spam auto attack and stand still”, I wouldn’t say that he’s too far off the mark. His example of the CoE PUG sounds like a standard ‘stack and pray’ where the group didn’t really know the boss at all but hoped they could kill it before having to time an evade.

Or maybe I’m reading too much into it but I also do notice a lot of folks who are trying to play the meta builds without understanding why they are traited the way they are. This is no doubt a contributing factor to the OPs ‘heavies only’ problem. Lack of game understanding.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

This is my greatest problem with players in this game. Just a very few people are able to think of efficient builds or strategies themselves. It’s also one part of “why I hate stacking”.
I actually don’t hate stacking at all. I hate people stacking for the sake of stacking, even in situations where you get all negative aspects, but no positive ones of it.
And even worse are AC pugs, stacking in the most supid corners available. Especially for kholer, I feel deep hate growing whenever pugs run straight north to stack in that godkitten kittenties corner of all. Let’s make sure all our cameras bug out and that mobs spawn invulnerable or out of range.

Stacking… stacking… stacking.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

This is my greatest problem with players in this game. Just a very few people are able to think of efficient builds or strategies themselves. It’s also one part of “why I hate stacking”.
I actually don’t hate stacking at all. I hate people stacking for the sake of stacking, even in situations where you get all negative aspects, but no positive ones of it.
And even worse are AC pugs, stacking in the most supid corners available. Especially for kholer, I feel deep hate growing whenever pugs run straight north to stack in that godkitten kittenties corner of all. Let’s make sure all our cameras bug out and that mobs spawn invulnerable or out of range.

Stacking… stacking… stacking.

Stacking does work against Kholer, though.

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

Any pug group that insists on filling itself with warriors and guardians is really too stupid to know how to play. Warrior/Guardian is so last year. The current optimal speedrun comps involve putting in as many FGS eles as possible, with 1 warrior max for banners. If reflects are needed, take a mesmer or guard, if not, a ranger might be the next best choice.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

Posted by: noobgood.8762

noobgood.8762

Stacking does work against Kholer, though.

I think he only meant it’s ineffective to use that super narrow corner in the north for stacking where your camera bugs out (strangely enough every single AC pug uses it). There are far better stacking spots for Kholer.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Again

Really, Really?? Do you care to understand why at least?

SorrowEmbrace say it right. The post you see on the LFG are usually those that stay there longer because less people enter them. If you see 5 post about +5K AP, full Zerker Warrior/Guardian. During the 10min that they stay up, maybe 50 other post filled up. These post make up a really small part of the game. I’m a full DPS advocate. I always talk about the meta and how it far better. I slowly push all my friend toward that. But still i don’t ask that in my post. If i want a full DPS group i ask my guild not pugs.

I don t agree….. since i farmed 2 legendaries in dungeons and a Whole fotm weapon skinset i think i read enough LFG to say

“my personal experience points out the heavy issue is real”

Also as pointed out in fotm thread….its not only about warriors…people won t even start a fractal 30+ without at least 1 guardian….(most 49-50 look for 2).

You can play whatever you want as long as you fill the X spot in G/WW/Y/X

Where Y varies depending on the istance and X is the only free spot for any profession….

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

strange. I mostly play softies.. my ele and mesmer for most dungeons, because they’re both fun to play for me. no skill in stacking? great if op is such a perfect player, I often am at my limit, when there are constant conditions and high damage attacks (SEp3.. ugh) or telegraphs you can’t see because of the stacking. for example kholer in the wall – out in the open he’s easy as a kitten (no, this wasn’t censored), but in the wall he often gets me and I have to be quick on my feet.
recently I started doing the great jungle worms and because I’m a terrible anti-egg-ele, I dusted off my necro to play condi. also a pretty vital role and best filled with: a softie. I’m actually pretty sure 150 cloth/medium wearers could defeat all worms more easily than lots of heavies. (partially because all blink skills are great with fgs)

so.. where are the heavies that apparently are destroying my pve experience again?

dungeons are NOT all of pve, and every class that’s got problems in some format has it great in others.

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

Just because thats all you see on the lfg doesnt mean its true. People are ignorant. And as thaddeus said the other groups fill faster so they dont remain on the lfg for long.

I dont know why im bothering. Argueing with Byron is like argueing with a brick wall.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

More like with a deaf dredge.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: IrisTheCasual.3742

IrisTheCasual.3742

Remind me of the vet dredge that spawns in the left side of the cage, is extremely resilient against all kinds of attack and can knock people 5 feet away from him should we get too close.

In fotm, guard is only needed for WoR, Stab and SoTA, and war is for banner and cc. Using heavies for anything else is a potential waste of your party slots. A thief and a mesmer are a must in my book, especially when a good mesmer can almost solo anything in FotM.

(edited by IrisTheCasual.3742)

Saint.5647

It’s just a byproduct of ignorance. No need to be jealous of an ‘All heavies’ party; mourn for their slow and dull run instead.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Well guardian can provide permanent protection and skale venom procs quite a lot with symbols so that’s a huge damage reduction which is so nice in fractals against thrash, especially the dredges. Mesmer does reflects better at the cost of terrible cleave.
But pugs are pugs. They think guardians are these magical heroes that “guard” them or whatever. They’re too stupid to notice they’re running cleric/celestial and autoattack with staff. Or they do notice and actually believe that’s a good thing. So they believe if they stack like 2 guardians the runs will be smoother. I’ve recently been in fractal 49 with 2 guardians. One was “supporter” and the other one was “shout”. Both staff camping. I think I only saw one wall of reflection ever. They died a lot too.

Saint.5647

Well, in a way they do guard but there is just a disconnect between the application of the class and the PUG understanding of the class. The same people that think 4 Guardians using Aegis at the same time is smart, are the same ones who insist on full heavy parties. That’s really all I’ve got on this one.

Basically, don’t bother with a slow, ignorant party.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: linuxotaku.4731

linuxotaku.4731

no problems. They say no x profession? You make your own party saying “no warriors”.
But if the problem is, that people playing “less good professions” with less good builds than the meta, claim to join a party of Guard/War/Mes zerk players and would never join people with as less good builds and professions, there the problem comes and 10000000 rants on the forum appears.

Last night I joined a PUG with exactly that request (“no warriors”) — running Guardian. I was the only heavy. (I considered switching to ele, and in hindsight that might have been more fun — my ele is pure zerker, my guard is only mostly zerker.) The run was quick and easy.

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

Honestly, the “no guard” posts are highly likely due to the plague of soldier/clerics/celestial staff camping guards. I play a guard as my main character (full zerk with the exception of my rune choice…too cheap at the moment to finally upgrade to scholar) and I hate seeing another guard in the lfg post. I cringe at the thought of a “support/staff camping, non zerk guard” being in the group.

I have yet to be rejected by any group on my guard, but I am highly selective on which lfg post I will join. I’m picky about the group composition. I won’t join a group with all heavies. I won’t join a group with all light armor. I won’t join a group with a necro or a ranger. I won’t join a group with more than one thief or more than two warriors. I won’t join a group with more than 1 guard already in the party. I won’t join a group that is too aggressive on the party restrictions…those are usually groups that don’t know the value of certain classes. I won’t join a group asking for a specific class as they are usually wanting to make demands of what I do.

I love having elementalists and mesmers in group because they bring a lot to the group in terms of utility and dps. Heavy armor characters have absolutely nothing to do with removing any fun from anything. I play my mesmer the same way I do my guard and my warrior…melee and stacking (in a fight that it makes sense to stack on). My mesmer actually has more survival than my guard in melee with blurred frenzy, reflects, higher base hp, boon spreading via signet of inspiration.

The only thing I can imagine the OP post being about is playing an under balanced class in pve (ranger or necro) or trying to play ranged combat in a game that is designed to favor melee combat. Neither of those two things has anything to do with heavy armor.