I Don't Like Agony. Do You?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Valhallen.1693

Valhallen.1693

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

Arguments about gear treadmills and how GW2 wasn’t supposed to have one aside, I don’t like Agony. I don’t like how it works (from the article), I don’t like needing to mitigate it with new gear, and I don’t like the idea of grinding a dungeon for gear so I can do…the dungeon. In my opinion this is a mechanic best left in the past where it belongs, like resistance gear 5 years ago in World of Warcraft.

It’s not interesting, it doesn’t add anything to the gameplay, and it’s certainly not fun. The only reason for its existence is to encourage people to play more to upgrade their current gear.

What do you dungeon crawlers think of Agony, both the idea and implementation?

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

It will only be present in Fractals.
You will get gear to mitigate it in Fractals.

Sounds like a solid design of personal progression and overcoming a virtual challenge – what keeps most people captivated and what most people like.

You haven’t yet seen it, but you’re saying it’s certainly not fun. See my future, too!

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

LFG Iron Mines infusion run.

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

I think it’s a good thing because anyone who starts playing 3 months from now will have a ton of infused gear to allow him or her into all the groups that form for Fractals of the Mists.

Basically what Arena Net is doing is opening up all the content to every player, new or old!

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Valhallen.1693

I think it’s a good thing because anyone who starts playing 3 months from now will have a ton of infused gear to allow him or her into all the groups that form for Fractals of the Mists.

Basically what Arena Net is doing is opening up all the content to every player, new or old!

Until they release the next set of dungeons with “corruption” or “Agony Rank: 2”, requiring you to get new gear to mitigate it.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

What’s there to like about it?
Seems like lazy game design. They were probably thinking like this:

“Let’s make the new dungeon real hard.”
“Yeah, but our players are too good. Any attacks we come up with are exploited to hell or dodged from.”
“Well, let’s just make it a gear thing. Screw player skill, this will get them killed for sure.”
“And let’s introduce the majority of the gear weeks after the dungeon release so they have their challenge.”
“By the time they’ll have their full set and faceroll the dungeon, we’ll come up with a new condition that’s only countered by superior gear.”
“BRILLIANT!!”

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Valhallen.1693

The thing that bothers me the most about Agony is that it’s not a new idea. Not only have other MMOs used something similar, but they also failed and were scrapped YEARS ago. For example, World of Warcraft used to have resistance gear back in Burning Crusade, but abandoned it ever since because it wasn’t fun or challenging. Lord of the Rings also had radiance, a mechanic similar to Agony, which was later removed since everyone hated it.

If GW2 is supposed to be THE next gen MMO, and being better by being different, how does it make any sense to essentially copy failed mechanics from other MMOs that were deemed failures and removed years ago?

drkn.3429

You guys do realise that Agony is old stuff, dating back to GW1, and that it foretells the return of the Mursaat? Probably we will see some Mursaat bosses using Agony in the Fractals, as the Fractals might be THE out-of-phase place they once fled to.
It’s more than just a new condition mechanic requiring you to gear up; it’s back to the roots of GW1 and most old GW1 vets will rejoice if it really brings the Mursaat back.

Posted by: ice ice baby.6083

ice ice baby.6083

You guys do realise that Agony is old stuff, dating back to GW1, and that it foretells the return of the Mursaat? Probably we will see some Mursaat bosses using Agony in the Fractals, as the Fractals might be THE out-of-phase place they once fled to.
It’s more than just a new condition mechanic requiring you to gear up; it’s back to the roots of GW1 and most old GW1 vets will rejoice if it really brings the Mursaat back.

YES! I like the idea of guildwars actually remaining guildwars. With the inclusion of old Infused idea from prophesies and the possible addition of mursaat.

If you don’t like the idea of these dungeons don’t play them simple as that

What you guys need to remember is GW doesn’t have the monthly subscription of other MMO’s so all updates are FREE! stop moaning and play the god kitten game!

Pure, Leader Of ;
[dF]Driven by Fury
Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: zexion.5842

zexion.5842

So instead of fixing the boring, one sided encounters or encounters where the boss hits you for half your health with an auto attack you add a DOT that ticks your health away more?

Worst PvE in any game.

Posted by: Eviltree.1648

Eviltree.1648

If the new PvE gear will be better for WvWvW then existing exotics, i’ll say goodbye to GW2. I dont like grindfests, and i was promissed of no grind for stats here.

Posted by: BurnedToast.3781

BurnedToast.3781

It took them two months to change GW2 from a casual friendly low-grind (unless you wanted a purely cosmetic legendary) game into yet another generic WoW-clone gear progression grind. I thought you were better then this anet, but I guess I’m wrong.

Valhallen is absolutely correct – they will toss out a string of new dungeons each requiring more and more agony resistance then once players have fully grinded all that out they will add Agony Mk.2 and you get to start over.

To the players saying “just don’t play that dungeon” well, very high probability that most or all new content will use the new system so that’s only an option if you don’t care about ever getting new content.

I’m incredibly unhappy about this news.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

I have no problem at all with Agony as a mechanic to increase the dungeon difficulty in subsequent runs.
I do have a problem with introducing a gear stat to negate it.

Posted by: Spawn.7014

Spawn.7014

Worst IDEA ever!!! So now were back to WoW where we had to grand out resistance gear just to run a raid. WOO HOO i cant wait to NEVER do this.

Next we will have a stat to reduced PvP damage and you can only get it with PvP tokens.

What a freaking JOKE!

Posted by: Void.5386

Void.5386

It is basically a way to extend the content by limiting progression until you can grind / farm the necessary items. Essentially normal gear checks and item progression with a different mechanic.
Instead of giving the player several ways to overcome a challenge, there is just one way; acquire Agony resist. A little bit of a cheap solution imo. Other MMO’s have had a similar systems, LOTRO with “Dread” and “Radiance”, Warhammer with Wards, WoW with resistance as mentioned previously.

Posted by: yayuuu.9420

yayuuu.9420

YES! Finally some progression!
I have left the game because of sucky endgame and now I will come back ;D

drkn.3429

The new Ascended gear has 2~4 more stat points than exotic gear, + the infusion slot.

Posted by: Kellie.3687

Kellie.3687

For all we know it could take one run to get your stuff… and another thing we don’t know if Agony affects you depending how many times you’ve been in the dungeon. So some people may need 0 Agony on their first run while the same person in the same group will need 24.

People are jumping on the wagon and screaming bloody murder before knowing all the facts. One legitimate complain would be crafting has now become a joke, unless they allow crafting of the items.

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

I like that numbers on my gear decide I can’t do a dungeon because an invisible death ray is constantly being pointed at me while I’m in it.

drkn.3429

I believe that 80%+ of people complaining about Agony are people new to the GW universe.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

were back to WoW where we had to grand out resistance gear just to run a raid.

^^this.

Personally, I’m looking forward to running dungeons to smash noobs in WvW.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: Awlbiste.1803

Awlbiste.1803

I don’t have a problem with agony, I have a problem with the incoming gear grind it represents.

Awlbie – All Out Assault [AoA] Division Second – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Vorz.7952

Vorz.7952

For me its sounds like a poorly disguised time sink. Anet don’t want people to finish it too fast so they introduce a new “mechanic” and artificially create a need for better gear. When you get the gear you’re back on square one and need a new set for the next difficulty.

If they really cared about the mechanic itself they could have scaled that to exotic armor and introduced more difficult mechanics from there.

drkn.3429

From what i understood from the articles, though, Agony will become unmanagable only later on in the Fractals, meaning you should naturally get enough infusion on the way to tone Agony down. The first few phases in Fractals should have no Agony or only some weak hits, while still potentially rewarding Ascended gear with infusion slots.
They never said anything making it look like a gear grind. It’s just the old Diablo mechanics – throw bigger monsters at players, but also reward them with better gear, so that the relative difficulty remains the same but the awesomeness of encounters rise.

Posted by: derry.2789

derry.2789

I’d say they’re going to be fairly easy to get

Posted by: truebluecm.4692

truebluecm.4692

I am completely excited about it. It sounds like a blast. Beyond the bugs, I love the current dungeons to pieces. I can’t wait to delve as deep as I can into the Fractals.

Posted by: JCWolf.1674

JCWolf.1674

The thing that bothers me the most about Agony is that it’s not a new idea. Not only have other MMOs used something similar, but they also failed and were scrapped YEARS ago. For example, World of Warcraft used to have resistance gear back in Burning Crusade, but abandoned it ever since because it wasn’t fun or challenging. Lord of the Rings also had radiance, a mechanic similar to Agony, which was later removed since everyone hated it.

If GW2 is supposed to be THE next gen MMO, and being better by being different, how does it make any sense to essentially copy failed mechanics from other MMOs that were deemed failures and removed years ago?

Got to admit I agree with this guy, do we really need another Condition, and then another boon to counter this condition to make the game more intresting?

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

to the people saying its 1-2 more stats its not its +5 +5 +67 per item as 3% MF = 67 other stats (see ori rings to compare to the opal one in the ss ) the rings and back are the start there will be ascended gear for every slot there are 2 wep slots 6 armour and 6 accessory slots

so 14x ( 5 / +5 / +67 ) = (70 /70 /938)
assuming theres not a greater increase on armour/ wepons

+938 vitality = +9380 hp

perhaps its not so bad say DR or something makes it ~50% lower so 475 thats still 4750 hp more than someone in exotics

in WvW these will mean the difference between life and death
in Dungeons these will mean the difference between life and death

gear treadmill aside i dont see how agony will be a challenging mechanic if it can be completely mitigated by gear, it just becomes a case of get x% agony resist ignore the damage spikes that would have killed you now you pass the gear check, that’s not challenging at all. its just a BS way to drag out content by making players farm for gear to pass the checks

a much better dungeon mechanic would have been if they reintroduced timed challenge missions from GW so something like Dajkah Inlet where you have x amount of time and killing bosses gives you an extra minute or whatever so you have to see how far you can get before the timer runs out and then reward top daily / weekly /monthly players on the leaderboards with something on top of whatever they got from the dungeon

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

Posted by: fourpoundburrito.1698

fourpoundburrito.1698

I’m ticked off that the gear has higher stats than exotic because it will render all exotic gear that everyone worked for un-optimal, and also because of what it means to the dedicated WvWvW players. For now it just sounds like just rings and back pieces will be impacted but eventually all gear will be overtaken.

Also does this mean that there will be no reason to ever run HoTW, CoE, and Arah explorable paths ever again? Stinks if you liked those dungeons or wanted the dungeon master title.

As for agony and resistance I’m happy to wait until I’ve played it a while before I form an opinion.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Before you go on saying that Agony implementation is a copy of a failed system… Agony was already implemented in GW1 first campaign back in 2005 when it was released and it worked prefectly fine.

You will need infused armor only to resist Agony so if you don’t want to face Agony enemies, you don’t even have to worry about it.

Back in GW1, ANY piece of armor could’ve been infused and it was actually something you had to do whenever you changed gear, go and infuse it. Its not bad, it makes sense and it adds something else to do at the game for end game players.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

Arguments about gear treadmills and how GW2 wasn’t supposed to have one aside, I don’t like Agony. I don’t like how it works (from the article), I don’t like needing to mitigate it with new gear, and I don’t like the idea of grinding a dungeon for gear so I can do…the dungeon. In my opinion this is a mechanic best left in the past where it belongs, like resistance gear 5 years ago in World of Warcraft.

It’s not interesting, it doesn’t add anything to the gameplay, and it’s certainly not fun. The only reason for its existence is to encourage people to play more to upgrade their current gear.

Agony = Spectal Agony is a condition from GW 1. Infusion is not a gear threadmill as you understand it. It is a special one off umm… upgrade isn’t the right word but let’s go with that, that you apply to existing armour. Granted if you change armours, you will have to get re-infused but Infusion only effects Agony. If you can’t be bothered getting infused, all you have to do is avoid mobs that perform Agony.

Infusion generally did not take long in GW 1. 15 minutes, you go kill a mob, take its essence to a “Seer”, Seer infuses your armour with the essence and your are done! I imagine to get infused in GW 2, you’ll have to do an event or something to that effect. I doubt you’ll actually have to “grind” for gear.

Agony is also a condition and will most likely be manageable to a certain degree without infusion. However, I would not recommend this as if Agony is anything like what it was in GW 1 – it will face roll you if you are not infused. In GW 1, us monks got the thankless task of keeping nubs who couldn’t be bothered spending 15 mins getting infused alive by going protection. I imagine that GW 2 it’ll probably fall to the team minded Guardian/warrior/necro to sacrifice their enjoyment and play to attempt to have a near constant condition removal setup to compensate for nubs who can’t be bothered getting infused. My suggestion is that you not rely on the generosity of other AND GET INFUSED!!!!

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

I think they could have added the new gear w/o the Agony mechanic. It’s like needing 100 FR to do molton core all over again….lame.

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

Mesket.5728

I think they could have added the new gear w/o the Agony mechanic. It’s like needing 100 FR to do molton core all over again….lame.

Please… read previous posts and try to understand what you are talking about before making this assumption. Its not gear dependant but being “keyed” to get pass content.

Posted by: Cappy.2786

Cappy.2786

Only ppl who didin’t play GW1 rage.tbh….

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

Please… read previous posts and try to understand what you are talking about before making this assumption. Its not gear dependant but being “keyed” to get pass content.

I’m well aware what infusion was/is in GW1. But from what i gather from the information provided infusion will work a little differently in GW2 with different slot types per piece of gear. You can’t just do an infusion run and all your gear is infused anymore, it sounds like it will work more like socketing gems currently works.

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

Posted by: Regrets of Sini.6083

Regrets of Sini.6083

WoW tried similar approach with “resist” gear and it was Hated.

Why? Because down the road it will close dungeons to new players. No Agony-resist, no admission to dungeons, and no way to grind it with everyone moving past starter content.

Bad idea all around.

Regrets of Sini.6083

It took them two months to change GW2 from a casual friendly low-grind (unless you wanted a purely cosmetic legendary) game into yet another generic WoW-clone gear progression grind. I thought you were better then this anet, but I guess I’m wrong.

My thoughts exactly. If people wanted to gear-grind WoW-style, they would go and play WoW.

Mesket.5728

WoW tried similar approach with “resist” gear and it was Hated.

Why? Because down the road it will close dungeons to new players. No Agony-resist, no admission to dungeons, and no way to grind it with everyone moving past starter content.

Bad idea all around.

Isnt that the point of progressive content? like in a linear way? All games works this way, its implicit from the moment you launch the client the first time. You know your char will go from point A to B and scale stats and lvl in the process. This is the same thing… this doesnt mean that lvl 10 maps should be closed and lost in oblivion as nobody will close and forget about exotic dungeons…

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

facepalm I think there is entirely too much assumption going on here. I have no doubt that Infusion in GW 2 will work differently to Infusion in GW 1 but I doubt it’ll work the same as resistance gear did in WoW.

Socketing gems I can however see. My thinking is that what we’ll get is an “infusion upgrade slot” into which you can infuse whatever you like. I.e. just as you now put runes on to your armour, you can apply infusions. I doubt it’ll be anything more onerous then getting a second set of upgrade. I.e. I fully expect all armour to have the infusion slot.

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

Mesket.5728

My thoughts exactly. If people wanted to gear-grind WoW-style, they would go and play WoW.

If you look at the drop of the player base from launch till now you will be dissapoineted (as I am) but that was what people was kind of expecting and complaining at the forums… most of the rants claimed for a Wowish game

Regrets of Sini.6083

Isnt that the point of progressive content?

I don’t think you (or Anet devs) understand key to GW2 success. Why GW2 succeeded beyond expectations and TOR that out-spent everyone failed so miserably?

Because people don’t care to play treadmill “progressive content”. It has been done to death. It is going on in WoW, and they got it down to science. This is not this game’s audience.

GW2 succeeded because it was so un-obnoxious and unstructured. You could log in for 30 minutes and still get something done. Any “linear progress” flies in the face of this.

Regrets of Sini.6083

most of the rants claimed for a Wowish game

If people wanted “Wowish game” then they can go and play WoW. TOR failed to unseat WoW with MEGA budget and Bioware talent. What chance does Anet have with mid-game course adjustments?

The only chance Anet have is being different from WoW, and building on that.

Posted by: fourpoundburrito.1698

fourpoundburrito.1698

@Regrets: I agree, if I wanted treadmill progression I would have bought a different game. If I decide to stop playing Guild Wars for a few months and then come back I don’t want my characters to be weaker than when I left. Although I am going to withhold final judgement until we see exactly what types of infusions are available. I really hope they are not applicable anywhere outside the dungeon and that the increase in base stats is just a way to mitigate the loss of runes or orbs.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I don’t have a problem with agony, I have a problem with the incoming gear grind it represents.

This so much this. I don’t so much care for them introducing new dungeon mechanics and welcome it, but this is pretty much the first step to a gear grind. I think many of the reactions and comments are going overboard a bit, but it seems like ANet listens to that kind of thing so… I don’t know…

Also what’s with this us vs them mentality going on here? “Only you GW noobs that haven’t been playing since 1 are raging, so go away”, come on people I know we’re better than this.

Posted by: gamefreak.5673

gamefreak.5673

Ill let you if I like it after a few weeks of it being in the game. It reminds me of gw1 and I actually did enjoy needing it on my gear to fight the mursaat on a more level playing field.

Posted by: Mackanstein.2503

Mackanstein.2503

So spending lots of money/effort on getting fully upgraded exotic rings is now completely wasted just a couple of months in? Now I should get this other type of ring that already has more stats than my ‘max-stat’ exotic + jewel? Ah well…
Why didn’t they do like in GW1 and let all your EXISTING gear get infused through a dungeon run/event?

Posted by: ThePainTrain.8190

ThePainTrain.8190

Couldn’t disagree more.
I am very existed about the new agony gear looks very promising.
Thanks Arena Net.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Linsey Murdock

We have always worked hard to create a sense of satisfying progression rather than gear grind and this new item progression initiative is no exception. By adding challenging new combat mechanics to end-game content and ways to mitigate those mechanics through gear progression for high-end players, we can add personal progression without making the game feel like an endless treadmill of gear that is just out of your reach.

Can you, Linsey? Can you really? Because it certainly looks like a grind/treadmill of gear that is just out of reach.

Simply proclaiming that it isn’t doesn’t make it not so. :p

I suppose we have to wait and see, but the initial indications aren’t very appealing.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: Astos.3609

Astos.3609

So spending lots of money/effort on getting fully upgraded exotic rings is now completely wasted just a couple of months in? Now I should get this other type of ring that already has more stats than my ‘max-stat’ exotic + jewel? Ah well…

How much effort does it take to get those rings though? A couple of gold?

I’m confused though, is the point of getting full exotics to simply look good or to have an easier time running dungeons/new content?

Posted by: HanaFujii.3528

HanaFujii.3528

Can someone please correct me if I am misunderstanding this, currently exotics have an upgrade slot but ascended just have the upgrade baked into the gear, what makes exotics completely outdated from that? They say legendary weapons will become like ascended if you have one, so I guess that means it will just get the upgrade baked into it? Also they say, “We also have plans to add more fun ways to acquire Legendary precursor items with a more “scavenger hunt” feel than they are acquired currently.”

Does it say how people will get the ascended? Will it be crafted, bought with karma, or found? If it is crafted and it is supposed to be more available than legendary items doesn’t it mean that people will be selling them like exotics?

This agony I can’t really compare it to resistances in WoW from before since resistances weren’t just for dungeons because classes had the ability to use that element, fire from mages, shadow from warlocks, etc. So since agony is a monster condition only doesn’t that mean that any resistance you get is completely useless in wvwvw?

Just trying to understand this here.