I just had the worst dungeon experience

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

From now on when I pug I’m going to start the instance and pop quiz everyone of them with “Play How You Want to Play: Y/N?”

guess which ones get the boot

Excellent idea. See folks? This is what I’m talking about right here – Innovation. We don’t get to gear check bads very easily (they ping one set, then wear another), so this is the next best option. Good work Broadicea, furthering the betterment of GW2 society as expected from such an exemplary player.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

HOTW path 1? Your party was having trouble with this dungeon? REALLY!? IMO it’s more fun and generally easier than other “farm” dungeons.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

From now on when I pug I’m going to start the instance and pop quiz everyone of them with “Play How You Want to Play: Y/N?”

guess which ones get the boot

Excellent idea. See folks? This is what I’m talking about right here – Innovation. We don’t get to gear check bads very easily (they ping one set, then wear another), so this is the next best option. Good work Broadicea, furthering the betterment of GW2 society as expected from such an exemplary player.

someday I’ll get called a scumbag elitist and it’ll literally be the highlight of my GW2 career

Retired. Too many casuals.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Deep breaths.

What’s your problem? ANet said themselves that people should be allowed to play how they want.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

swiftpaw.6397

Deep breaths.

What’s your problem? ANet said themselves that people should be allowed to play how they want.

No probrem! They can play how they want in their own groups :P

Posted by: Darthaemos.6370

Darthaemos.6370

someday I’ll get called a scumbag elitist and it’ll literally be the highlight of my GW2 career

Broadicea, you’re a dirty scumbag elitist.

This message brought to you by Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Birgitte / Graendhal / Aveandha
Death and Taxes [DnT] | http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: Darthaemos.6370

Darthaemos.6370

Deep breaths.

The problem is that some people take this too literally. People set up crappy builds, crappy gear types, form non-optimal setups like five necros and then they wonder why they are finding it impossible to complete content that is considered easy by those that like to optimize their builds and gear.

These very people who “play how they want” then show up frustrated on the forums, asking for already-easy content to be further nerfed.

Birgitte / Graendhal / Aveandha
Death and Taxes [DnT] | http://www.dtguilds.com/

colesy.8490

Deep breaths.

Well I don’t think it’s fair that you exclude us non-zerk players, in the last dungeon I did there was this amazing heal spec guardian who kept all of us alive, I was in full PVT but I couldn’t facetank boss hits for some reason and I kept getting vigor, but it’s completely useless when my endurance bar is full.

:)

swiftpaw.6397

Deep breaths.

Well I don’t think it’s fair that you exclude us non-zerk players, in the last dungeon I did there was this amazing heal spec guardian who kept all of us alive, I was in full PVT but I couldn’t facetank boss hits for some reason and I kept getting vigor, but it’s completely useless when my endurance bar is full.

:)

First I was confused.. I was like.. dat colesy?

Then I was like oooh.. Dat Colesy. Well played. Well played.
/golf clap

Posted by: Sugoi Travis.2651

Sugoi Travis.2651

If you are skilled, I will take you regardless. I will never take bad dps build players over good players with sub-par builds.

Except that there is no such a thing as being skilled with bad builds and bad gear. Don’t take me wrong, I’m not saying “all zerkers are good”, as could be seen in the day of CoF farming there are ton of terrible zerkers who have a broken dodge key. What I’m saying is that not wearing zerker is an automatic mark of being bad. You can’t be a good player and willfully ignore decent build, ignore the game mechanics and decide that bad builds are good enough for you.

-BAM

- Nikaido Slap -

@ swiftpaw – Was I supposed to feel that I got put in my place? If so, then I must have missed that part.

No, why would you think that?

(Seriously…this is a game. A freaking game. Let people play the way they want and if they don’t like zerker for whatever reason, why call them out and claim they’re automatically bad? Lol…)

Deep breaths.

I’m just blown away at the stupidity/short-sightedness. I’m actually not upset.

swiftpaw.6397

If you are skilled, I will take you regardless. I will never take bad dps build players over good players with sub-par builds.

Except that there is no such a thing as being skilled with bad builds and bad gear. Don’t take me wrong, I’m not saying “all zerkers are good”, as could be seen in the day of CoF farming there are ton of terrible zerkers who have a broken dodge key. What I’m saying is that not wearing zerker is an automatic mark of being bad. You can’t be a good player and willfully ignore decent build, ignore the game mechanics and decide that bad builds are good enough for you.

-BAM

- Nikaido Slap -

@ swiftpaw – Was I supposed to feel that I got put in my place? If so, then I must have missed that part.

No, why would you think that?

(Seriously…this is a game. A freaking game. Let people play the way they want and if they don’t like zerker for whatever reason, why call them out and claim they’re automatically bad? Lol…)

Deep breaths.

I’m just blown away at the stupidity/short-sightedness. I’m actually not upset.

Hey, all’s well as long as this isn’t getting blown away at >_>

Attachments:

colesy.8490

The funny thing is, if the post before swifty’s was said by me or any other “elitist” to a bad player, the “elitist” would be slammed with an infraction. But bads can call us every name under the sun and get away with it since we don’t even report them.

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

How the blazes did a thread about crappy group dynamics devolve into a build discussion? Way to undermine the message, guys.

swiftpaw.6397

The funny thing is, if the post before swifty’s was said by me or any other “elitist” to a bad player, the “elitist” would be slammed with an infraction. But bads can call us every name under the sun and get away with it since we don’t even report them.

Yep, that’s basically how it works. We prefer to argue our point instead. However, if, in the discourse we utter anything that could be interpreted as offensive, the bads jump on the opportunity to flag it. Most of my infractions are for sarcastically calling people the very thing I’m called all the time – an elitist scumbag.. It’s funny how that works isn’t it. They can hurl all the insults they want at us, because we don’t care enough to report them, but if we even so much as react to them.. BAM infraction. Oppression is the general term, if you can’t provide a good argument, shut them up. I believe most moderators don’t even read into the threads, they just infract immediately.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

I believe most moderators don’t even read into the threads, they just infract immediately.

I wouldn’t be surprised at least part of the moderation is done by bots

Oceanic [LOD]

swiftpaw.6397

I believe most moderators don’t even read into the threads, they just infract immediately.

I wouldn’t be surprised at least part of the moderation is done by bots

Yeh I suspect a good portion are, I’m just too lazy to fight them over it.. /meh

Posted by: Sugoi Travis.2651

Sugoi Travis.2651

Wait…..you’re saying I’m a bad player because I am willing to accept skilled non-zerker/non-dps builds on a dungeon run?

Please…it’s not like I’d take a PVT guy with condition damage traits. No matter how skilled you can be, that is an example of something that will never work.

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Maybe check out the below link for some ideas on healing builds that do a bit more damage. http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/84424-the-new-guardian-anchor-build/

That’s a terrible build, though.

Go ahead, link him a better build for his stated purpose, being a healy supporty guardian.

Several of the builds linked in the post use mostly Berserker gear, a few use all. I’m not looking that heavily into them though. They may all be terrible

The OP of that build pretty much acknowledges that the builds he links to (one of which is mine) are better than his. He wants to have a popular build and his reasons for using it are targeted to lazy people that don’t care to improve. His build is bad, and if you want to play a healing / tanky build then they are also bad. There’s no reason to be playing with a build like that. People with the tank mentality need to man up and use Berserker’s armor and actually contribute something other than a wasted party slot.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: Llyren.3904

Llyren.3904

The OP of that build pretty much acknowledges that the builds he links to (one of which is mine) are better than his. He wants to have a popular build and his reasons for using it are targeted to lazy people that don’t care to improve. His build is bad, and if you want to play a healing / tanky build then they are also bad. There’s no reason to be playing with a build like that. People with the tank mentality need to man up and use Berserker’s armor and actually contribute something other than a wasted party slot.

I agree that he absolutely calls your build superior to his.

“What’s the catch?” you ask. Well if I’m being honest, this build isn’t going to do as much damage as Brazil’s or Guanglai’s. Those builds are going to be a few percent better than this. About 5% if I’m not mistaken. But you weren’t running either of those builds. You were running Strife’s build. And this build is better than Strife’s build. At an absolute minimum, these builds do 28% more damage than their Strife’s guide equivalent, even if you stay with Soldier’s Runes.

There is more difference between bad and worse then between good and better. The best is the enemy of the good.

Players can improve incrementally that feel they cannot make the jump immediately to full berserker, or other flavor of the game. I count ten build links in that thread to help them do so and give them options. Two of which he claims are better then his variants, one of which is indeed yours.

Many people now using full berserker got there a piece at a time.

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

Hotw is one of my go to faceroll dungeons. When i dont feel like thinking and just want to earn gold. im shocked your having trouble with it o.0

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

But I really wish I was told to start off on beserker. I have so many bad habits thanks to forgiving gear.

colesy.8490

I’ve actually got to the point that when I was asked to use some soldier/cavalier pieces in WvW that I had no idea how to tank hits, I just intrinsically rolled.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I agree that he absolutely calls your build superior to his.

“What’s the catch?” you ask. Well if I’m being honest, this build isn’t going to do as much damage as Brazil’s or Guanglai’s. Those builds are going to be a few percent better than this. About 5% if I’m not mistaken. But you weren’t running either of those builds. You were running Strife’s build. And this build is better than Strife’s build. At an absolute minimum, these builds do 28% more damage than their Strife’s guide equivalent, even if you stay with Soldier’s Runes.

There is more difference between bad and worse then between good and better. The best is the enemy of the good.

Players can improve incrementally that feel they cannot make the jump immediately to full berserker, or other flavor of the game. I count ten build links in that thread to help them do so and give them options. Two of which he claims are better then his variants, one of which is indeed yours.

I thought I replied to this already, but it doesn’t seem like I did. When I made my Warrior, I crafted it to level 80 and put Berserker’s armor on it. I learned to play it the hard way, and that was far more effective than trying to take it slow. A lot of the things I learned from playing Warrior made me want to get rid of the Knight’s gear on my Guardian and made me think about aggro mechanics and min/maxing with damage. That drove me to become better at Guardian, and I realized that I didn’t know much of anything about Guardian or boss fights even though I thought I did. When you are of the mindset that you will just tank and heal and it will be k, you are being bad and lazy. You are not learning, and there is no excuse for it. There’s no point in taking small steps, just go in and go balls deep and YOLO.

Brazil

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Noes!

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Llyren.3904

Llyren.3904

I thought I replied to this already, but it doesn’t seem like I did. When I made my Warrior, I crafted it to level 80 and put Berserker’s armor on it. I learned to play it the hard way, and that was far more effective than trying to take it slow. A lot of the things I learned from playing Warrior made me want to get rid of the Knight’s gear on my Guardian and made me think about aggro mechanics and min/maxing with damage. That drove me to become better at Guardian, and I realized that I didn’t know much of anything about Guardian or boss fights even though I thought I did. When you are of the mindset that you will just tank and heal and it will be k, you are being bad and lazy. You are not learning, and there is no excuse for it. There’s no point in taking small steps, just go in and go balls deep and YOLO.

I live many times in most MMO’s though. Death, where is thy sting.

Sometimes players do not want a challenge, sometimes they just want to pass a ball back and forth.

Placing horns on them because they are playing the same game differently then you does you no favor. Mind you, if you advertise what you are looking for, they should not join if they don’t want to play your way. Hopefully they will advertise what they are looking for in groups as well so that you can avoid them.

There will always be folks wanting to join groups they are not yet ready for though, but fans will be fans.

But I really wish I was told to start off on beserker. I have so many bad habits thanks to forgiving gear.

Yeah, I’ve got some too.

(edited by Llyren.3904)

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I live many times in most MMO’s though. Death, where is thy sting.

Sometimes players do not want a challenge, sometimes they just want to pass a ball back and forth.

Placing horns on them because they are playing the same game differently then you does you no favor. Mind you, if you advertise what you are looking for, they should not join if they don’t want to play your way. Hopefully they will advertise what they are looking for in groups as well so that you can avoid them.

There will always be folks wanting to join groups they are not yet ready for though, but fans will be fans.

Yeah, I’ve got some too.

I’m not putting horns on them, I’m saying that they are bad players. I’m not starting a rally to join and troll casual groups of people and kick them all out of dungeons or something. If someone doesn’t care to use a proper build and improve at playing a game, then they can waste someone else’s time in another group. Those people can enjoy playing the way they want to play in a group that will put up with it. I will not put up with playing them because I want my runs to go smoothly.

At the same time, I am willing to help people improve. I make video guides for each class I play, I make dungeon videos, and I made dungeon guides with Strife for quite some time. I don’t hate bad players, I don’t care that they want to play differently than I do, but I don’t want to group with someone that doesn’t care about getting better and I’ve seen plenty of people like that.

Brazil

Dub.1273

Where exactly do you draw the line between a good and a bad player?

Dub | [rT]

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Where exactly do you draw the line between a good and a bad player?

Anyone that clicks skills is bad. Anyone that used keybinds is good. That is the line huehuehueuheuhehue

Brazil

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Anyone that clicks skills is bad. Anyone that used keybinds is good. That is the line huehuehueuheuhehue

Good one!

I’d also add that getting killed by your own reflected projectiles is a really bad play.

(edited by haviz.1340)

Dub.1273

I’m a bad player.

I’d also like to add that anyone who can’t melee ashym in phase 3 is a bad player.

Dub | [rT]

haviz.1340

You have no right to say that, you don’t do fractals.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

haviz spitting hot fire

haviz.1340

Prepare your armour with fire resistance!

Dub.1273

You have no right to say that, you don’t do fractals.

Okay, so: anyone who can’t solo Lupicus on at least 7 different professions is a bad player!

Dub | [rT]

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I solo Lupicus IRL

Brazil

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

Dub,
You hate Lupi that much? You don’t need to kill Lupi 7 different ways.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

Dub.1273

No, i like him. He actually doesn’t die, it’s more like he plays with you and when he gets bored he takes a little break.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

I have a nuanced opinion about noobs in dungeons. There is nothing wrong with four people who have never done a dungeon path being in the same party, as long as the 5th person knows what tricks to use. Besides having one experienced person to stack on, this is what you have to do for all of the 5 man dungeons/fractals.

1. Follow directions.
2. Stack.
3. Revive.

If you follow one experienced person and use the basic 5 man mechanics I just explained 90% of the dungeons are a piece of cake. It’s when no one knows what to do that things go bad. That, and when people ignore the experienced person trying to give advice.

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

- The ranger dies and, for the next 7 minutes, I’m barely staying alive while tanking 7 to 9 of these dogs. When I miss a crucial heal and finally die, I notice my party hanging back and spamming auto attacks. My grief was strangely alleviated as the mobs made short work of my team.

You shouldn’t be fighting those dogs on p1 anyway.

- A minute goes by and I’m struggling to survive against the champion and 12 dogs now (yes, they multiplied) while my party seems mysteriously absent. When I finally succumb, I note my party, on the roof but this time only half of them are auto-attacking while the other half still ask what the plan is. Again, a smarter man would have quit.

A smarter man would’ve simply let the dogs pass, ran past and killed the champ by himself.

It seems like the main problem here is a total ignorance of the mechanics of that encounter by everyone involved including yourself. Of course it’s possible to actually kill that group of dogs with brute force and I’ve done it before but it’s totally unnecessary and a waste of time.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

No, i like him. He actually doesn’t die, it’s more like he plays with you and when he gets bored he takes a little break.

so those “speedkills” is basically a test on who is the most boring player?

Oceanic [LOD]

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I wonder if Lupicus clicks his skills.

Brazil

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

lol, imagine 1v1 against lupi, and lupi being controlled by a real person, not just a dumb AI, and his skills have cd and such, and he can even walk, even the grub eating and summoning is a skill, that would be so kitten

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Dub.1273

Probably he does, i don’t.

Dub | [rT]

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

…Wait……. So you are…. Playing as Lupicus in all of your solos?

Brazil

Dub.1273

…Wait……. So you are…. Playing as Lupicus in all of your solos?

I wish i was :/

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I came back to this thread after I was linked to it from another and I have to say, I’m shocked and appalled at how closed-minded and negative you guys are. I guess I have to explain a few things I thought were obvious.

I KNOW a cleric guardian isn’t the most effective build. I main a mesmer whom I’m a lot better at and has a more efficient build. But sometimes I don’t want to play her. I prefer more supportive builds so I made a cleric guardian and purposefully run headfirst into situations with her just to see if I can survive them solo. When I am with a team, I am more cautious but I like to see how well I can help them survive. I also use my Guardian when my guild does temples and someone needs to heal and protect npcs. You can claim it’s a bad build all you want but I have gone toe-to-toe with champions, without dodging, and survived. In fact, I often have to remind myself that dodging heals me.

I KNOW HotW1 can be done in 15 minutes. I also know that I was in a pug so it wasn’t going to go smoothly. I expected 30 to 45 minutes. Three hours is unacceptable by any stretch of the imagination.

I am NOT blaming the ranger for playing a ranger. I’m blaming the ranger for making poor decisions. Running in when the group wasn’t ready was a poor decision. Fighting in melee range with a ranged weapon was a poor decision. Taking action before then group even formulated a plan was a poor decision. In respect to her, I made the same poor judgement when I ran in after her.

I am NOT saying I am some sort of godly player that never does anything wrong. In fact, I have stated – several times – that I should have left when I knew things would be bad but I prefer to stick things through to the end. You can call it a noble trait as well as a character flaw. I’m also believe in letting others play the way they want to play. I wasn’t using an optimal dps build so I don’t expect others to do the same. This was meant to be a fun jaunt through a dungeon, not a self-inflicted test of tolerance.

As we all know, aggro has next to nothing to do with how much damage enemies receive. I have, on several occasions, played my mesmer, stood right next to champions and burned all my damage-dealing cooldowns in a desperate effort to gain aggro so they would stop attacking downed teammates. Even though I was outdamaging the rest of my team, it almost never worked. The devs have even stated that aggro doesn’t work that way. Now if you can show me a way that dps does gain aggro at least 75% of the time, I would love to see how you do it. There is no sarcasm in that statement. I welcome the chance to learn such a battle mechanic should I need to help a downed teammate again.

I after the first very bad wipe, I stated that we came up with a gameplan. When I said “we” I mean all of us. The ENTIRE team. That’s why I was rather… perturbed, when two members instantly forgot what we ALL decided to do just a few moments prior. Don’t you guys think that’s a reasonable thing to get upset about?

I do NOT like taking control of situations that I am not responsible for. It’s a personal petpeeve because of personal experiences. When I want to be in charge, I will start groups. When I don’t want to be, I look for groups and follow the leader’s orders. If the leader is bad or needs help, I offer assistance and advice, as I had done during the planning phase, but I do NOT take control from them unless it’s dire, life-or-death situation. Dungeon parties for videogames will never count as life or death. That is my personal philosophy. If you don’t agree with it, that is your right, but I’m not going to change it.

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

no raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood

Retired. Too many casuals.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I came back to this thread after I was linked to it from another and I have to say, I’m shocked and appalled at how closed-minded and negative you guys are. I guess I have to explain a few things I thought were obvious.

I KNOW a cleric guardian isn’t the most effective build. I main a mesmer whom I’m a lot better at and has a more efficient build. But sometimes I don’t want to play her. I prefer more supportive builds so I made a cleric guardian and purposefully run headfirst into situations with her just to see if I can survive them solo. When I am with a team, I am more cautious but I like to see how well I can help them survive. I also use my Guardian when my guild does temples and someone needs to heal and protect npcs. You can claim it’s a bad build all you want but I have gone toe-to-toe with champions, without dodging, and survived. In fact, I often have to remind myself that dodging heals me.

I KNOW HotW1 can be done in 15 minutes. I also know that I was in a pug so it wasn’t going to go smoothly. I expected 30 to 45 minutes. Three hours is unacceptable by any stretch of the imagination.

I am NOT blaming the ranger for playing a ranger. I’m blaming the ranger for making poor decisions. Running in when the group wasn’t ready was a poor decision. Fighting in melee range with a ranged weapon was a poor decision. Taking action before then group even formulated a plan was a poor decision. In respect to her, I made the same poor judgement when I ran in after her.

I am NOT saying I am some sort of godly player that never does anything wrong. In fact, I have stated – several times – that I should have left when I knew things would be bad but I prefer to stick things through to the end. You can call it a noble trait as well as a character flaw. I’m also believe in letting others play the way they want to play. I wasn’t using an optimal dps build so I don’t expect others to do the same. This was meant to be a fun jaunt through a dungeon, not a self-inflicted test of tolerance.

As we all know, aggro has next to nothing to do with how much damage enemies receive. I have, on several occasions, played my mesmer, stood right next to champions and burned all my damage-dealing cooldowns in a desperate effort to gain aggro so they would stop attacking downed teammates. Even though I was outdamaging the rest of my team, it almost never worked. The devs have even stated that aggro doesn’t work that way. Now if you can show me a way that dps does gain aggro at least 75% of the time, I would love to see how you do it. There is no sarcasm in that statement. I welcome the chance to learn such a battle mechanic should I need to help a downed teammate again.

I after the first very bad wipe, I stated that we came up with a gameplan. When I said “we” I mean all of us. The ENTIRE team. That’s why I was rather… perturbed, when two members instantly forgot what we ALL decided to do just a few moments prior. Don’t you guys think that’s a reasonable thing to get upset about?

I do NOT like taking control of situations that I am not responsible for. It’s a personal petpeeve because of personal experiences. When I want to be in charge, I will start groups. When I don’t want to be, I look for groups and follow the leader’s orders. If the leader is bad or needs help, I offer assistance and advice, as I had done during the planning phase, but I do NOT take control from them unless it’s dire, life-or-death situation. Dungeon parties for videogames will never count as life or death. That is my personal philosophy. If you don’t agree with it, that is your right, but I’m not going to change it.

All I hear is:

“Wah wah, my group is terrible! Please make me feel better! But I don’t want to do anything about it!”

What is the point of this thread anyways?

Do you want us to make you feel better on your terrible run?
Do you want us to go up in arms and discriminate new players?
Do you want us to advise you what you should done?

Why should we sympathize you when you make excuses?

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

You SHOULD blame yourself for being BAD and a CASUAL.

Brazil

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

You SHOULD blame yourself for being BAD and a CASUAL.

I bet he doesn’t even SAB.