I'm starting out looking for a good pve class

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Beatha.7310

Beatha.7310

I’m coming back to the game after a year hiatus and are looking for a good pve class to start with.the type of dps isn’t important (we use what ever is the best in my past mmo experience).I want to get this right so when i grind out a class to 80 i won’t regret it….any chance someone will help a noob?

Posted by: Miaire.5468

Miaire.5468

Pre-HOT expansion

If you’re interested in regular/pug runs:
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Team:Team_-_Phalanx_Strength

Choose any class you like but if you’re pugging, ranger/engineer/necromancer are not popular with uncoordinated groups.

If you’re interested in speed runs:

Go to category and select solo/group/full group:

http://gw2dungeons.net/Records

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Warrior is best to start with solid in any group, even if you have one going PS you can go dps and it’s ok. Best PVE profession is probably Ele but it takes quite a bit to master. Thief ain’t bad, Engi is solid but again high (maybe higher?) learning curve like Ele. Guardian is solid for defensive support as is Mesmer though aren’t as much needed just very nice.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

No one can really say what the best class will be for HoT since we know so little about the raid content, but here are some classes that are probably your best bets:

Elementalist – Currently, they are probably the strongest class due to staff DPS. They also bring OP ice bows and have plenty of other utility to carry them if their DPS gets nerfed. Notable utility would be AoE blinds from glyph of storms, water fields from staff water attunement, projectile destruction from focus offhand, group condi cleanse, plentiful fire fields for might, and plentiful blast finishers.

Guardian – This class doesn’t always shine in pure speed runs, but is a staple of Fractals groups due to their large amount of utility, which will likely be as useful in raids. Utility includes group blocks from Aegis, some of the best projectile defense in the game, decent blinds from skills, group condi cleanse, best source of group stability, 100% uptime of protection for melee group with hammer autoattack, and group quickness from elite.

Mesmer – Brings a decent amount of utility along with Portals, which is unique to this class alone. Portals may make mesmers a staple of raids or may be completely useless. Notable utility includes great projectile defense (has more reflects than other classes, even if guardians can potentially block as much if not more), short range group condi clear, group quickness, AoE slow, group stealth, and will have Alacrity with chronomancer.

Engineer – Tends to have the most complex dps rotation in the game and while it’s not often the most ideal class, it has so much utility that it can work in just about any group in any content. Utility provided is pretty much everything listed above with the exception of quickness, slow, stability, and alacrity, but to a limited extent.

Warrior – This is often a staple of groups due to the large DPS boosting potential from banners/phalanx strength. It’s very possible that raids may want at least 2 warriors for every group simply because of how much phalanx strength warriors increase group DPS. Warriors don’t have a huge variety of utility, but the might and banners are so strong as they are that they don’t really need to do everything else.

Anyways, those are probably your safest bets, but it’s possible that Ranger or something like that becomes a must-have in HoT after some balance change or something. Also, I probably missed some utility for the classes listed, but I believe that’s the most relevant and prevalent utilities for those classes.

Posted by: Painbow.6059

Painbow.6059

Necromancer and engineer are the funnest classes. Elementalist is the best but pugs are too stupid to play ranger/necro and engineer so they are not welcome in pug groups, best stick to the meta

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Necromancer and engineer are the funnest classes. Elementalist is the best but pugs are too stupid to play ranger/necro and engineer so they are not welcome in pug groups, best stick to the meta

Necro being fun is your opinion, but necros providing less utility to groups and being less accepted by groups is a fact.

Not saying they should avoid playing necro, but I’d say that there’s a very high chance of regret for anyone who decides to roll one…

Same could be said of ranger. For some people, it’s so fun to play that nothing else matters, but if you’re looking to play a class that will easily be a top contributor to a group and/or will be readily accepted into groups, then that may not be the case.

Ranger was my first character when I started the game, but after realizing how frustrating it is to micromanage a pet that can easily die in encounters on top of how little utility they can provide compared to other classes, I eventually rerolled.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

When picking out a class, just make sure it has at least a cleave, a block, a projectile defense, and a cheap stun break. Then you’re golden.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Yes what is fun is an opinion. Some people think sky diving is fun, others have poisonous snakes as pets, and others do not think either of those are near the top of the fun meter.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: gin.7158

gin.7158

When picking out a class, just make sure it has at least a cleave, a block, a projectile defense, and a cheap stun break. Then you’re golden.

WTB block/invul for thief pls.

@OP
IMO you can’t go wrong with warrior for PVE. But I personally don’t like their animation (no flashy moves) and blade trail is so ugly with standard gs. I suggest you to try every class first if you don’t want to regret. Just a little note, Necro and Ranger are usually hated by community for pve.

Since ele and warrior conquers the solo record, so I regard those classes the best for pve.

(edited by gin.7158)

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

thief has a block on their spear

Posted by: Operator.6523

Operator.6523

either take the hit and learn ele and die a lot learning, or pick warrior and die less

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

@OP
IMO you can’t go wrong with warrior for PVE. But I personally don’t like their animation (no flashy moves) and blade trail is so ugly with standard gs. I suggest you to try every class first if you don’t want to regret. Just a little note, Necro and Ranger are usually hated by community for pve.

Since ele and warrior conquers the solo record, so I regard those classes the best for pve.

Which community?

and thief can use staff if they care about block.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: gin.7158

gin.7158

@OP

Which community?

and thief can use staff if they care about block.

Well, a bit misnomer maybe. Let’s say some people instead of community ha3.

Yay daredevil.