I pugged every dungeon easily... as a Ranger

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Ptaki.3715

Ptaki.3715

I see so much complaining here. I swear either shills for the panda game or weak minded people. If neither, read, it will give some perspective.

COF path 1? No problem. I get pug groups all the time. We complete the path quick. I’m in no rush but it seems fast. Easy path no matter the group make up. 3 Rangers 2 eles. Check. Done it. Easy. Post on gw2lfg saying warrior mesmer, need to ping gear, blaaa blaa blaaa, I ignore them, still get good groups.

Class discrimination? Ignore it. Go for other post. Or post. LFG any path.

Works for me. I’m a RANGER. One of the most shunned dungeon classes. I group no problem.

I have a Mesmer and Warrior alt. I prefer using them in open world stuff. I geared out my mesmer in TA Armour, COF swords, sorrows pistol, The Kodan greatsword.

During the weekends going to run some more with my Ranger and gear out my Warrior.

Maybe someday I’ll do the story modes with my alts so I can enter explorables with them. This is a must because if you pug and others entrances are closed you need to be able to enter.

I got the Dungeon Master title all with Ranger.

Ignore the bad paople on gw2lfg.com, find people like me.

I will pug any dungeon with any mix of classes. There are many many many like minded players like me. Stop complaining, find them.

I’m not a harsh person, just want to vent. Find me I always have fun running dungeons.

I love dungeons, one of my favorite parts of the game.

See you in the dungeons!

Posted by: x per fection x.2096

x per fection x.2096

You fail to see why people don’t want rangers in their group, of all the classes, they are the worst. Theres no way around it. They don’t bring anything to the table when it comes to HELPING the group.

No one is saying that rangers can’t do dungeons, they are saying that a different class like a guardian in the same hands is going to be better than a ranger hands down every time.

I did Hotw story last night with a ranger in my group, he had full MF gear and stood in the back auto attacking, he did nothing to help the group as far as boons, or dps or kiting but he made it threw.

The dungeons are easy as most have been solo’d already, but people like going as fast as possible and as easy as possible, you can’t do either with a ranger in your group because there not good at anything. Sorry boss.

[Ark]Noober

Posted by: Flipside.4152

Flipside.4152

You fail to see why people don’t want rangers in their group, of all the classes, they are the worst. Theres no way around it. They don’t bring anything to the table when it comes to HELPING the group.

No one is saying that rangers can’t do dungeons, they are saying that a different class like a guardian in the same hands is going to be better than a ranger hands down every time.

I did Hotw story last night with a ranger in my group, he had full MF gear and stood in the back auto attacking, he did nothing to help the group as far as boons, or dps or kiting but he made it threw.

The dungeons are easy as most have been solo’d already, but people like going as fast as possible and as easy as possible, you can’t do either with a ranger in your group because there not good at anything. Sorry boss.

Basing on theTS post it’s not a ranger is useless thread but more of tips for people stuck as a ranger and complain why they cant find dungeon groups or feel underwhelming. TS is right, stop complaining and find open minded people who you feel comfortable and fun running dungeons with and stick with them. Skill>Class. I’d take a competent ranger over a warrior who faceplanks in the majority of the dungeon. Makes it a whole lot better.

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

lmao, it used to be Thieves as least welcomed profession for dungeons, now Rangers too? I got my Dungeon Master title done with pug throughout, many of them have Thieves & Rangers in it (including CoF path 3 run. Yes, it is possible to co-ordinate for initial torch puzzle with just party chat). Heck, I’ve come across a GC Guardian who needs more rez than non-heavy armor profession players in a pug.

I think it’s sad that players are being discriminated by the profession used. There is no good or bad profession for dungeon, only co-operative or selfish players.

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

There is no good or bad profession for dungeon, only co-operative or selfish players.

No, you are wrong. Rangers offer absolutely nothing to a dungeon group that you couldn’t find anywhere else in the form of something better. I have a fully geared level 80 Ranger, I’ve used it in dungeons, I feel comfortable playing it. In most cases (in terms of speed clearing) it is optimal to take 3 Warriors, 1 Guardian and 1 Mesmer. If you were to replace any of those with 1 or more Rangers (in the same group of people, providing each person has a good ability to play both classes) the run would become noticeably slower. If your idea of running a dungeon is ranging everything with a Long Bow from the back of the room while not caring how long it takes to kill something, you are free to do that. Ranger’s pets die too frequently in dungeons to make a difference in DPS. Rangers cannot do enough damage on their own and provide the same utility a Warrior does to make them valuable to any sort of organized group. Rangers do not provide enough support to make them more useful than a Guardian or a Mesmer. They are simply not worth taking along in a group that has the desire to clear a dungeon quickly.

As far as the topic of achieving Dungeon Master only using a Ranger, that’s believable and great that the OP did that. DM is not an easy title to get for a lot of people, and it wasn’t easy for me to get. I got mine quite some time ago, and pugged almost every dungeon in order to get it (all of Arah, etc). I’ve lead people through Arah path 4 that clearly had no idea how to play their class, people that were playing Rangers, Eles and Engineers, but I didn’t replace them for another player. Many of them got their DM title because I was able to teach them how to properly complete Arah path 4, and their ability to play was average at best. With all of the nerfs to Simin and changes made to other dungeons, there will surely be more people out there with DM that simply do not have a skill set that matches up with other people that do have DM, and that is all there is to it. If anything, DM is a starting point in that you realize how you can improve and master the classes that you play.

If you enjoy playing a Ranger and want to take it in dungeons, I don’t have a problem with it and there are plenty of other people that would be glad to have you in their party. I prefer to only run with classes that are optimized for dungeons and in organized groups, and that is what I do most of the time (unless I am helping another group out). I don’t hate people that play Rangers, but they do not offer the same to a group that a Guardian, Warrior or Mesmer can.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

My ranger has no issues with any teams nor do I have any problems with rangers in my teams based on the fact that they are rangers.

There are some valid things that ANET needs to address for ranger pve but as far as dungeon running goes knowledge of mechanics and being geared matter far more than the profession.

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

If you have a decent build you’ll understand how extremely useful the ranger is. Sadly not many players realize that.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

When people talk about Rangers being useless because they gear up in MF gear or are plinking away at max range…

…surely that isn’t the extent of this profession, is it?

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

Good job missing the entire point.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

When people talk about Rangers being useless because they gear up in MF gear or are plinking away at max range…

…surely that isn’t the extent of this profession, is it?

The design problem is that the longbow works best at 1000m range and then any buff or utility provided by the ranger is 1000m away from the melee classes. Moving the ranger into skirmish range with traps and healing springs makes the class looks different. You’ve still got problems with spirits getting squished, pets getting squished, and so on.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

What’s the point of this? Are you trying to convince us that rangers should be welcomed in every party? If so then please prove your worth and explain what group utilities you bring that are better than a guardians, a mesmer, a warrior, etc.

If you are just saying that it’s possible to run dungeons as a ranger…. yeah, we know.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

It is not so much the Ranger people issues with as it is the Pet…

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Hoyvin.3241

What’s the point of this? Are you trying to convince us that rangers should be welcomed in every party? If so then please prove your worth and explain what group utilities you bring that are better than a guardians, a mesmer, a warrior, etc.

If you are just saying that it’s possible to run dungeons as a ranger…. yeah, we know.

Annnd another swing and a miss. Thanks for playing.

Ethics.4519

Annnnd this doesn’t help clarify at all. You can see that I asked what the point was. It’s just a bunch of mumble and garbage. If the OP (not you, because I don’t care about you) wants to clarify the point he/she is trying to make, I would appreciate it.

RIP in peace Robert

Hoyvin.3241

Annnnd this doesn’t help clarify at all. You can see that I asked what the point was. It’s just a bunch of mumble and garbage. If the OP (not you, because I don’t care about you) wants to clarify the point he/she is trying to make, I would appreciate it.

Well, for starters, I’m absolutely heartbroken you don’t care about me.

That being said, I think the OP’s point is pretty clear even if you missed it, but, judging by your snarky anti-ranger response, I imagine you’re one of the people that the OP was telling other rangers to avoid.

That help clarify things any?

Ethics.4519

Well, for starters, I’m absolutely heartbroken you don’t care about me.

That being said, I think the OP’s point is pretty clear even if you missed it, but, judging by your snarky anti-ranger response, I imagine you’re one of the people that the OP was telling other rangers to avoid.

That help clarify things any?

Oooooh, swing and a miss. That should be posted in the rangers forum then.

You can see OP clearly jumps from “I have dungeon master title, I have a warrior I gear up, I have a mesmer I use in open world, I just LFG, to party with me anytime, I’ll do the dungeons”

I’m only anti-ranger because my very first toon was a ranger. I’ve always played a ranger/archer in every other MMO I’ve played and am deeply disapointed with the ranger path they have taken. I know the class well, and know that they don’t bring anything to the party. Some easily destroyed spirits, a stupid AI micro-managed pet, and an aoe regen.

RIP in peace Robert

Hoyvin.3241

You can see OP clearly jumps from “I have dungeon master title, I have a warrior I gear up, I have a mesmer I use in open world, I just LFG, to party with me anytime, I’ll do the dungeons”

I’m only anti-ranger because my very first toon was a ranger. I’ve always played a ranger/archer in every other MMO I’ve played and am deeply disapointed with the ranger path they have taken. I know the class well, and know that they don’t bring anything to the party. Some easily destroyed spirits, a stupid AI micro-managed pet, and an aoe regen.

Ok, let’s start over, then. No snark.

Granted, the OP was a little rambling, but I think his primary point can be summed up with a couple of his lines:

“Post on gw2lfg saying warrior mesmer, need to ping gear, blaaa blaa blaaa, I ignore them, still get good groups. Class discrimination? Ignore it. Go for other post. Or post. LFG any path.”

“Ignore the bad paople on gw2lfg.com, find people like me.”

What the guy is saying is to ignore the “zerker warr ONLY” posts and find the ones where people don’t care that you’re a ranger, or an engi, or a necro, or whatever.

Since you’re a ranger at heart and like the class, why be part of the ranger hate? It’s not going to help the ranger get better.

I just don’t get the “as fast as possible” mentality of max DPS to get through a run in a couple minutes faster. I mean, I get the concept, but why be in such a rush? it’s a game.

Posted by: ryokoalways.3450

ryokoalways.3450

It’s perfectly normal to want best efficiency when doing anything in my opinion.

That said, zerker war only/ping gear groups generally are worse in my experience. This is primarily because outside of gear, they optimize nothing. They don’t move the NPC before choosing the path, no focus turret/wall pull from mesmer, no signet of inspiration from mesmer, no shout/banner check between wars, incorrect skill progression to maximize dps with adrenaline, no optimization of gate killing, and actually getting KD/downed during effigy fight, reducing dps significantly.

All the advantages you get from gear is easily wiped out by any of the select few problems from the above.

Hoyvin.3241

It’s perfectly normal to want best efficiency when doing anything in my opinion.

Wanting it, sure, but expecting it and demanding it to the exclusion of all else? Not so much.

Leo G.4501

Wanting it, sure, but expecting it and demanding it to the exclusion of all else? Not so much.

Um, this is the internet. It seethes entitlement.

Hoyvin.3241

Um, this is the internet. It seethes entitlement.

Heh, yeah I guess I should remember where I am. I just don’t play that way. If you’re an idiot, then you get the boot, but I don’t make any assumptions or demands beforehand.

Ethics.4519

Granted, the OP was a little rambling, but I think his primary point can be summed up with a couple of his lines:

“Post on gw2lfg saying warrior mesmer, need to ping gear, blaaa blaa blaaa, I ignore them, still get good groups. Class discrimination? Ignore it. Go for other post. Or post. LFG any path.”

What the guy is saying is to ignore the “zerker warr ONLY” posts and find the ones where people don’t care that you’re a ranger, or an engi, or a necro, or whatever.

Since you’re a ranger at heart and like the class, why be part of the ranger hate? It’s not going to help the ranger get better.

I just don’t get the “as fast as possible” mentality of max DPS to get through a run in a couple minutes faster. I mean, I get the concept, but why be in such a rush? it’s a game.

Fair enough, no more snark, I promise =)

I held out a lot of hope for the ranger. I definitely don’t agree with the “4war/1mez zerk only, elite pro only welcome” type of groups. Those just make me laugh.

But I run with a core group from my guild that’s me: mesmer, 2 guardians, and a war. When we get a 5th from the guild, I’m usually really happy if it’s a war,thief, mes, or even ele.

I hate to say it, but I get a little sad if it’s a ranger, especially when we run fotm (why maw, why must you target a dead pet?).

If OP really did intend your original point, then I think this should be in rangers forum or players helping players. Since it is in the dungeon forums, I read it more as “Don’t hate on rangers, we aren’t as bad as you think” and his proof was that he runs pugs all the time. Therefore, I didn’t accept his proof =)

RIP in peace Robert

Hoyvin.3241

Fair enough, no more snark, I promise =)

I held out a lot of hope for the ranger. I definitely don’t agree with the “4war/1mez zerk only, elite pro only welcome” type of groups. Those just make me laugh.

But I run with a core group from my guild that’s me: mesmer, 2 guardians, and a war. When we get a 5th from the guild, I’m usually really happy if it’s a war,thief, mes, or even ele.

I hate to say it, but I get a little sad if it’s a ranger, especially when we run fotm (why maw, why must you target a dead pet?).

If OP really did intend your original point, then I think this should be in rangers forum or players helping players. Since it is in the dungeon forums, I read it more as “Don’t hate on rangers, we aren’t as bad as you think” and his proof was that he runs pugs all the time. Therefore, I didn’t accept his proof =)

Sure, it probably would be better and hit the right audience if it was in the Ranger forum.

I have a tiny guild of 7 people and we all live in the same town. So we don’t often have to pug. Occasionally we’ll pug for a 5th but not that much. Three of us have rangers that we swap out with regularity. So honestly, we don’t see a lot of the stuff that goes on in pugs.

When we pug, I honestly couldn’t care less what class it is. I reserve judgement until I’ve seen them play. I’ll take a guy that is fun to play with and engages the group even if he’s not that great, over the most efficient zerker warrior that never goes down once, does awesome DPS, but never says a word on chat and bails the minute he loots the final chest.

I’m in it for fun, not to see how many dungeon tokens I can get in the shortest amount of time possible so I can get enough gold and lodestones and crap for my legendary. How is that fun? Play that way if you want, it’s your life, but don’t be a kittenhole about it. (I don’t mean you specifically, just a generic you.) What goes around comes around.

Posted by: Trollhammer.7439

Trollhammer.7439

People keep parroting this rubbish over and over like they saying something deep and clever that others don’t understand. Yes, a good ranger player is better than a bad warrior player…. SO WHAT!? Would you take a good ranger over a good warrior? I dare you to come up with answer that doesn’t insult my intelligence.

Hoyvin.3241

People keep parroting this rubbish over and over like they saying something deep and clever that others don’t understand. Yes, a good ranger player is better than a bad warrior player…. SO WHAT!? Would you take a good ranger over a good warrior? I dare you to come up with answer that doesn’t insult my intelligence.

Here’s an answer and I couldn’t care less if your intelligence is insulted:

I don’t care. Whoever gets there first gets the spot. My personal happiness doesn’t revolve around getting through a dungeon path in 7 minutes instead of 10. And it certainly doesn’t revolve around treating some other PERSON like dogkitten because their toon doesn’t live up to some ideal like I’ve seen in plenty of posts on this forum.

It’s not deep or clever. It’s not intended to be. So what?

Ethics.4519

I don’t care. Whoever gets there first gets the spot. My personal happiness doesn’t revolve around getting through a dungeon path in 7 minutes instead of 10. And it certainly doesn’t revolve around treating some other PERSON like dogkitten because their toon doesn’t live up to some ideal like I’ve seen in plenty of posts on this forum.

I feel like I’m split between you two. I definitely see your point about rather having somebody who’s nice to talk to, knowledable about the dungeon and class, regardless of profession. However, I have rarely ever come across that in GW2LFG. I have absolutely no recorded data to back this up, but I feel like most the PUGs I end up joining, the bad players or the ones who don’t talk tend to be the professions not really requested. Sure there are exceptions, but I feel like most players are like myself. I tried a ranger, but getting to know the game and how it works, I quickly switched and ended up at mesmer. The people who stay ranger are either new, really really are dedicated to being a ranger, or just don’t understand group dynamics. Again, in general, I know there are exceptions.

Edit: I typed that very quickly so let me try to elaborate just a bit. I consider myself a good player. I generally know how the dungeon works or I pay attention to somebody else if they are showing me. I ask questions about what we are doing or if there are any special mechanics if I don’t know. If I do know, and I’m in a PUG, I ask if anybody wants an explanation how to beat this boss or do this part. I always want to help the party and do my part to assist them. Therefore, ranger in this game wasn’t for me. In other games, as mentioned I normally have a ranger/archer, I would also have a healer. Play ranger in this game, I quickly saw that I wasn’t nearly as valuable as a guardian, ele, or mesmer support wise, and I didn’t have the same damage as a warrior or thief, so I switched.

RIP in peace Robert

(edited by Ethics.4519)

Trollhammer.7439

Yeah you dodged it. Good job, now we can safely ignore everything that comes out of your mouth.

Ethics.4519

Yeah you dodged it. Good job, now we can safely ignore everything that comes out of your mouth.

I think what troll is getting at is : Given the opportunity for an equally skilled/geared warrior or an equally skilled/geared ranger, which one would you take overall? Regardless of dungeon and you don’t know either of them, both of them asked at the exact same time.

^Obviously hypothetical. If you say ranger, then okay. I would have to disagree strongly, although politely, and don’t see the reasoning. If you say warrior, then I think you kinda see the point we’re trying to make, you just don’t feel as strongly

RIP in peace Robert

Leo G.4501

Regardless of dungeon and you don’t know either of them, both of them asked at the exact same time.

The bigger question is, how is it even possible for two people to ask at the same time? Obviously whoever’s name is on top in chat is the person that asked first. There is no hypothetical here, it literally would be whoever asked first.

Ethics.4519

Regardless of dungeon and you don’t know either of them, both of them asked at the exact same time.

The bigger question is, how is it even possible for two people to ask at the same time? Obviously whoever’s name is on top in chat is the person that asked first. There is no hypothetical here, it literally would be whoever asked first.

That’s why it’s called hypothetical. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hypothetical

Maybe you joined your server’s TS and they both ask on TS at the exact same time. There ya go…. quit ignoring the true point of the question.

RIP in peace Robert

Hoyvin.3241

Feel free. Start off being a kittenhole and you’ll get the same in return. What goes around comes around.

(edited by Hoyvin.3241)

Ethics.4519

Feel free.

I hope you still take the time to answer my question, if you don’t mind.

RIP in peace Robert

Leo G.4501

That’s why it’s called hypothetical. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hypothetical

Maybe you joined your server’s TS and they both ask on TS at the exact same time. There ya go…. quit ignoring the true point of the question.

If they’re in teamspeak then they are probably people I can stand to listen to, i.e. friends. Whoever wants to run it more would be the person who likely would go. If we’re all guildies, why would playing profession favorites even be an issue here?

That basically destroys whatever hypothetical you’d bring up because it’d still would have nothing to do with what profession they decided to bring. Hell, it’d probably be settled by a coin toss or some BS chance of luck in that case.

Why are you even trying? Seriously…

Hoyvin.3241

Obviously the warrior. But so what?

The real point is this:

I advertize in whichever way, map chat or gw2lfg, doesn’t matter. The first guy to join my group is a ranger. I’m not going to kick him because he’s a ranger even if I get a tell from some warrior right after that. Because the difference is immaterial to me. This is without factoring in player skill, which I can’t know until I’ve played with them some.

I’m not gonna limit who I play with based solely on their class.

In fact, If the warrior had some idiotic name like “Xx Pwnzor xX” or some crap like that, I would pick the ranger.

(edited by Hoyvin.3241)

Leo G.4501

In fact, If the warrior had some idiotic name like “Xx Pwnzor xX” or some crap like that, I would pick the ranger.

But what if the Ranger’s name was “Cat Humper”? Then you’re back at square one.

Ethics.4519

Obviously the warrior. But so what?

The real point is this:

I advertize in whichever way, map chat or gw2lfg, doesn’t matter. The first guy to join my group is a ranger. I’m not going to kick him because he’s a ranger even if I get a tell from some warrior right after that. Because the difference is immaterial to me. This is without factoring in player skill, which I can’t know until I’ve played with them some.

I’m not gonna limit who I play with based solely on their class.

Since you said “obviously the warrior” you understand the point I’m trying to make.

I also completely agree with the rest of what you’re saying. I would not kick a ranger from my group, solely for the fact that he is a ranger. I’ve already said I think those 4war/1mes zerk only groups are idiotic. I have never kicked anybody from a PUG solely because of profession.

There still is the fact though that certain classes bring more to parties naturally than others. But to your point, skill, communication, etc have more say in efficiency of dungeon.

RIP in peace Robert

Trollhammer.7439

I also completely agree with the rest of what you’re saying. I would not kick a ranger from my group, solely for the fact that he is a ranger. I’ve already said I think those 4war/1mes zerk only groups are idiotic. I have never kicked anybody from a PUG solely because of profession.

But is it because you would feel bad if you did, or because there was no good reason to? Lets be absolutely clear here, your sense of fairness has absolutely no bearing on questions of balance.
And lets no label things idiotic based on fairness either. I may not like typical CoF p1 groups because I am not welcome in them, but that doesn’t mean I don’t recognize that their group composition is superior.

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Hoyvin.3241

Since you said “obviously the warrior” you understand the point I’m trying to make.

There still is the fact though that certain classes bring more to parties naturally than others. But to your point, skill, communication, etc have more say in efficiency of dungeon.

I don’t think that there is anyone who could successfully deny that, all else being equal, a warrior is better than a ranger. I have both and I generally feel that way myself.

Hoyvin.3241

But what if the Ranger’s name was “Cat Humper”? Then you’re back at square one.

Nah. “Cat Humper” is funny. “Xx Pwnzor xX” takes himself way too seriously.

Trollhammer.7439

Can anyone seriously blame this person?

Attachments: