I take back what i said!

I take back what i said!

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Dan.8213

Dan.8213

About AC Story Mode

Just tried it for the 3rd time today with a group who took our time, re-grouped etc only died 4 times, twice on the last boss. Cost of 1 silver for total repairs and i made nearly 26s not including all weps/armor that i salvo’d.

The difficulty is EXCELLENT just the way it is!

I also take back what i said about the bosses, they are pretty good actually and i really enjoyed my play through so much better, the group (PuG) helped a lot.

I will say to the devs though, you could avoid a lot of bashing on here by adding an early dungeon say around lvl 15-20 with a nice learning curve/tutorial to dungeon runs. Could save a lot of players from frustration and the bashing you are receiving!

Really looking forward to the rest of the game now!!

I take back what i said!

Posted by: aleiro.8521

aleiro.8521

Yups, the group matters too much.
You don’t have roles now, so everyone has to pay attention. That being said I have had awful runs with people that just dont bother to look at the health of their companions…not to mention bringing cookie cutter builds to a dungeon…which you can’t do in gw2. Someone stated this in another thread and I am paraphrasing. All the members of the group need to fulfill three roles: Support, Control and Damage. If someone in the group is not running like this they will be a weak link and will slow down your progress. This is only gamewise…you also need smarts and awareness of what the hell is going on in the fight….if you have those you’ll realize the dungeons are easy really.

I take back what i said!

Posted by: Macero.6934

Macero.6934

I’ve said in another post; I couldn’t care less how hard or long the dungeons are. I don’t care how long the prestige gear takes to get. There was absolutely no purpose to nerfing the gold. ~20’ish silver is good enough to where people can feel their time was decently spent. I don’t like crafting, exploring, or DE’s….i like running dungeons. The diminishing returns also got me rather irritated. I’m not stopping after one set, i’m transmuting the gear i want to look like awesome gear. The gear you’re transmuting the looks from gets destroyed, yes? So, you would have to farm another to transmute another set. Not to mention farming the set with the stats I want and grinding the set for the looks that I want. Also, i am going to have two sets; one for dungeon crawling and one for pvp. If i want those sets to look differently i have to farm four sets of gear. <—-just matter-of-factly, no complaints except the gold nerf and DR.

@OP that’s a great idea, just to introduce the games’ mechanics(dodge, no dedicated trinity, etc) make it more on the side of a tutorial, Call it some type of boot camp thingy
“Training Caverns” w/e but yeah…..

I take back what i said!

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

About AC Story Mode

Just tried it for the 3rd time today with a group who took our time, re-grouped etc only died 4 times, twice on the last boss. Cost of 1 silver for total repairs and i made nearly 26s not including all weps/armor that i salvo’d.

I also take back what i said about the bosses, they are pretty good actually and i really enjoyed my play through so much better, the group (PuG) helped a lot.

I will say to the devs though, you could avoid a lot of bashing on here by adding an early dungeon say around lvl 15-20 with a nice learning curve/tutorial to dungeon runs. Could save a lot of players from frustration and the bashing you are receiving!

Lol, glad you found a better group. A good group is essential, otherwise you aren’t really seeing the dungeon as it’s meant to be, if that makes sense.

An optional tutorial dungeon is a pretty good idea actually. Maybe even a full tutorial mode with hints that explain what to do, how to use combo fields etc. It would probably save some people a lot of trouble later on.

A bit like that tutorial thingy they had on GW1 to teach people how to control their henchman/heroes.

I take back what i said!

Dan.8213

Even if they didn’t want to call it a tutorial so to speak, just having a much easier dungeon with maybe 2 bosses and a random, but you also have an NPC guide that explains some basic approaches to killing the bosses, for example..

He could shout…“2 of you take the mobs and the rest with me on the boss”

Stuff like that, combos and stuff and an easy trap section.

It would be an eye opener to what may lay ahead instead of the shock in AC lol

I take back what i said!

Posted by: Voxnor.1657

Voxnor.1657

About AC Story Mode

So just checking – but you think its acceptable to die four times in the very first, story mode dungeon in the game? Presumably, this should be the easiest dungeon and easiest difficulty in the game, and your perfectly happy that on your third run-through, not your first, you ate dirt 4 times?

Sorry, but that is just not fun for everyone. Glad you enjoyed it though, more power to you.

“Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers.” – Voltaire

I take back what i said!

Posted by: caliptic.5234

caliptic.5234

Personally think these are some of the most Boring dungeons i have ever run. Had good groups every time. All bosses seem to do the same old stuff. Not done any explorable s but my friend says they are a ’’bit’’ better.

i hope my mind changes like yours. Not sure if i like not having roles.

I take back what i said!

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

About AC Story Mode

So just checking – but you think its acceptable to die four times in the very first, story mode dungeon in the game? Presumably, this should be the easiest dungeon and easiest difficulty in the game, and your perfectly happy that on your third run-through, not your first, you ate dirt 4 times?

Sorry, but that is just not fun for everyone. Glad you enjoyed it though, more power to you.

Yes, and I concur, a few weeks after release, it is absolutely ok to die a few times on a dungeon. The next run will be less deaths, and eventually there will be none as people learn this radically new way of playing (versus the traditional trinity roles).

I take back what i said!

Posted by: shaidyn.4016

shaidyn.4016

So, just checking – but you think it is acceptable for people to expect to go into a dungeon and NOT die?

I sometimes think that the only way that Anet is going to be able to make people stop crying is to invent a time machine, go back 20 years, and kitten slap half the playerbase so they don’t grow up to be whiny, entitled children.

“Those who believe a thing cannot be done,
should stay out of the way of those doing it”
- Thomas Edison

I take back what i said!

Voxnor.1657

So, just checking – but you think it is acceptable for people to expect to go into a dungeon and NOT die?

I sometimes think that the only way that Anet is going to be able to make people stop crying is to invent a time machine, go back 20 years, and kitten slap half the playerbase so they don’t grow up to be whiny, entitled children.

Ah, good form – insult people while claiming they are the whiny, entitled children. You must see the misstep in logic there, eh?

Back to the point: Some people have a lot less fun when dying. Some people want a game to be easier. Tiered difficulty systems can handle this. And guess what? My $60 dollars was just as much as yours – we are both entitled to provide feedback on our experience.

None of that makes me a “whiny, entitled, child”.

Lastly, as a friendly gesture – your signature quote is not actually from Thomas Edison.

(edited by Voxnor.1657)

I take back what i said!

Dan.8213

Ah, good form – insult people while claiming they are the whiny, entitled children. You must see the misstep in logic there, eh?

Back to the point: Some people have a lot less fun when dying. Some people want a game to be easier. Tiered difficulty systems can handle this. And guess what? My $60 dollars was just as much as yours – we are both entitled to provide feedback on our experience.

Well actually i completed it on my first run through but i really didn’t know what i was doing, the group moved that fast they sort of carried me along. Second attempt was dreadful and frustrated the hell out of me. To the point in which i renounced the game lol

Dying 4 times in a dungeon is not a bad thing at all lol i have played many dungeons and died plenty of times and yet still found them fun, interesting, challenging etc

What really made it for me on my 3rd attempt was the fact i felt a better player! My awareness and understanding of the bosses and my team mates made me feel more in control and thus enjoy the experience more. It was probably down to shock of how intense it all seemed after the first 30 easy going levels.

Hence why i suggest a lower level dungeon to ease people into the mayhem

I take back what i said!

shaidyn.4016

I call them like I see them, champ. If someone says, “I want to play a video game without worrying about dying,” well, my opinion of them isn’t going to be high.

Thanks for the info on the quote. I read it many years ago and assumed the attribution was correct.

- Thomas Edison

I take back what i said!

Kana.6793

Dying 4 times is nothing to get upset about.

Playing on god mode is boring.

I take back what i said!

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

<3 Buwahah! HAHAH!
I needed this today. Thank you, really.

Seriously though, no matter how much you tell this type that not everything can be easy all the time and not everything they think is too hard or too long or too much, is that way to someone else. It is like they want a game tailor made for them and them only and only THEIR thoughts and opinions matter, especially if you disagree with them.

Hint: You are not the game designer. I did not buy this game wanting YOU to design it. I payed just as much for this game as you did, therefore my opinion that Arenanet is doing akittenfine job regardless of the endless whining and crying from these forums is just as valid as you think yours is. As a matter of fact it is more valid as I am not demanding they change their design to suit ONLY me, I am playing their design because I bought Their design knowing FULL WELL that it is THEIR design and not mine, or yours, or anyone elses to mess with.

I take back what i said!

Kana.6793

What really made it for me on my 3rd attempt was the fact i felt a better player! My awareness and understanding of the bosses and my team mates made me feel more in control and thus enjoy the experience more.

That, my friend, is progression The real kind, not the gear kind.

I take back what i said!

Voxnor.1657

I call them like I see them, champ. If someone says, “I want to play a video game without worrying about dying,” well, my opinion of them isn’t going to be high.

Thanks for the info on the quote. I read it many years ago and assumed the attribution was correct.

Can you elaborate on the bold part of the quote? It is a video game, after all. Most people play for fun – and fun is subjective. So in what logical way are you forming an opinion of someone for having fun in a different way than you?

I take back what i said!

Voxnor.1657

<3 Buwahah! HAHAH!

Seriously though, no matter how much you tell this type that not everything can be easy all the time and not everything they think is too hard or too long or too much, is that way to someone else. It is like they want a game tailor made for them and them only and only THEIR thoughts and opinions matter, especially if you disagree with them.

Hint: You are not the game designer. I did not buy this game wanting YOU to design it. I payed just as much for this game as you did, therefore my opinion that Arenanet is doing akittenfine job regardless of the endless whining and crying from these forums is just as valid as you think yours is. As a matter of fact it is more valid as I am not demanding they change their design to suit ONLY me, I am playing their design because I bought Their design knowing FULL WELL that it is THEIR design and not mine, or yours, or anyone elses to mess with.

Heh – it is so clear when I come across individuals that have no real world grasp of how products and business work.

Let me provide you an example, my friend. I am software developer – last year we launched a 500 million dollar web based java backed application, which serves the needs of retirement benefits for millions of customers and runs an organization here in California.

We have a handful of what you might call “designers”. They established the design for the software.

Now, how do you think those millions of paying customers are going to feel, if I tell them “No, we can’t provide you with new features and changes x, y, and z, because you are not the designer” ?

I’ll provide you the answer since you seem to not get it: it wouldn’t fly. People would get fired, money would be lost, etc.

Gone are the days of shipping a product and that being it. Software products, whether games or business apps, are evolving products that take input from the consumer and adapt.

I take back what i said!

shaidyn.4016

So in what logical way are you forming an opinion of someone for having fun in a different way than you?

A fair point. I’ll put it this way.

Some people think easy games are fun. That’s fine. Some people think difficult games are fun. That’s also fine.

What is not fine is people who want an easy game, playing a difficult game, and complaining that it’s not easy.

- Thomas Edison

I take back what i said!

Voxnor.1657

So in what logical way are you forming an opinion of someone for having fun in a different way than you?

A fair point. I’ll put it this way.

Some people think easy games are fun. That’s fine. Some people think difficult games are fun. That’s also fine.

What is not fine is people who want an easy game, playing a difficult game, and complaining that it’s not easy.

Could you show me where on the guild wars 2 website, box, or press release that it says this game will be hard?

I take back what i said!

Dan.8213

<3 Buwahah! HAHAH!

Heh – it is so clear when I come across individuals that have no real world grasp of how products and business work.

Let me provide you an example, my friend. I am software developer – last year we launched a 500 million dollar web based java backed application, which serves the needs of retirement benefits for millions of customers and runs an organization here in California.

We have a handful of what you might call “designers”. They established the design for the software.

Now, how do you think those millions of paying customers are going to feel, if I tell them “No, we can’t provide you with new features and changes x, y, and z, because you are not the designer” ?

I’ll provide you the answer since you seem to not get it: it wouldn’t fly. People would get fired, money would be lost, etc.

Gone are the days of shipping a product and that being it. Software products, whether games or business apps, are evolving products that take input from the consumer and adapt.

Yawn. I think you are right, are you finished now.

I take back what i said!

Posted by: Gies.3824

Gies.3824

In regards to the man talking about everyone entitled to feedback based on your 60 dollars spent, this is absolutely true. However, when your feedback is based on unrealistic expectation of time spent into reward, it becomes a problem with what you expect from this genre. This “everything should be for everyone” mentality is nice, but it is not realistic. You have multiple demographics of people you are trying to market a game to, and catering to far to one side will result in the other side committing a mass exodus from the game. Ideally there would be multiple tiers of dungeons and gear based on difficulty, but there is not at the moment. Revel in the fact that we no longer have to gather 40+ people on at the same time every night to progress through a game. If spending 50+ hours attaining the gear you want is not something that appeases you, craft it. They have given casual players an outlet to get the same quality gear as the dungeon token equipment. While I am not really thrilled with this, I understand its necessity to keeping a large player base.

I take back what i said!

shaidyn.4016

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dungeons/

“There are tremendous risks for those who brave the dungeons in Guild Wars 2,…”

“Dungeons in Guild Wars 2 reward players who enjoy organized parties, epic challenges, and delving deeper into the secrets of Tyria.”

I could be entirely misinterpretting “tremendous risks” and “epic challenges”, but I doubt it.

- Thomas Edison

I take back what i said!

Voxnor.1657

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dungeons/

“There are tremendous risks for those who brave the dungeons in Guild Wars 2,…”

“Dungeons in Guild Wars 2 reward players who enjoy organized parties, epic challenges, and delving deeper into the secrets of Tyria.”

I could be entirely misinterpretting “tremendous risks” and “epic challenges”, but I doubt it.

The issue is yet again that all the words you have linked are subjective. (Which was the point of my asking you to find it – ‘difficulty’ is entirely subjective).

You do make for a great discussion shaidyn – and I appreciate your candor.

I take back what i said!

shaidyn.4016

I do my fair share of trolling, but if someone wants to have a logical discussion I’m more than happy.

I don’t think you can keep falling back on ‘subjective’ as a defense. Everything is subjective. But if I say it’s “raining” out, and someone says “raining is subjective”, well, that’s true, but it’s also pointless. They’re still going to get wet.

This is not an easy game. It’s been made clear before launch, and now that the game is live it’s even more obvious. If you’ve been reading the information coming from the developers, it’s pretty obvious they’re happy with the level of difficulty. And so is a significant portion of the database.

Why don’t you see more people on the forums saying how happy they are? Because they’re all in game, having fun. The only reason I show up on the forums so much is to be a voice of positivity for the developers. I think they’re doing a good job, and I want them to know it.

- Thomas Edison

I take back what i said!

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

Why don’t you see more people on the forums saying how happy they are? Because they’re all in game, having fun. The only reason I show up on the forums so much is to be a voice of positivity for the developers. I think they’re doing a good job, and I want them to know it.

I’m on the forums now because I am at work and cannot be in game sadface When I am home I am much, MUCH too busy with family and then game to read forums ;P

I take back what i said!

Voxnor.1657

I do my fair share of trolling, but if someone wants to have a logical discussion I’m more than happy.

I don’t think you can keep falling back on ‘subjective’ as a defense. Everything is subjective. But if I say it’s “raining” out, and someone says “raining is subjective”, well, that’s true, but it’s also pointless. They’re still going to get wet.

This is not an easy game. It’s been made clear before launch, and now that the game is live it’s even more obvious. If you’ve been reading the information coming from the developers, it’s pretty obvious they’re happy with the level of difficulty. And so is a significant portion of the database.

To make your rain example fair – we would need to say “It’s raining really hard outside!”. To which Bob might say “Naw – it rains way harder in Seattle, this is nothing”. You can see the difference in a state and a condition in this example.

Unfortunately, the developers have only voiced their opinions on Explorable mode dungeons. If there was a post, from an ANet resource, stating that they feel story mode dungeons are fine and will not be changed – I would probably not ever return to the dungeon forums and reside myself to the fact that they don’t agree with me and my portion of the player base.

But they haven’t yet – and until we get that feedback I am going to push for the changes I wish to see in a game I am enjoying.

I take back what i said!

Posted by: Gray.9650

Gray.9650

If you’ve been reading the information coming from the developers, it’s pretty obvious they’re happy with the level of difficulty. And so is a significant portion of the database.

not to interrupt the discussion, but:
- only a fraction of players bothers to post feedback (both positive and negative) on the forums
- you see more people posting negative stuff because they want to vent or improve the game (again, both good and bad)
- just because they don’t post doesn’t mean they are happy. I won’t throw any estimates around, since it serves no one, but I think we can all agree that a lot of people unhappy with the game just stop playing without coming to the forums.

if the rest is significant enough to buy gems – we’ll see.

I take back what i said!

Dan.8213

But they haven’t yet – and until we get that feedback I am going to push for the changes I wish to see in a game I am enjoying.

That’s a fair point. Can i ask how far into the game you are? I’m probably not the best to judge as i have only tried AC, but have you completed a dungeon part of an effective group yet, either in a guild/friends/randoms? It really is rewarding to be part of an effective team given the difficulty!

Alas, 4 times to die in a dungeon is not bad. if that is how you feel i think you are fighting a losing battle to have the dungeons made easier, even in story mode.

I think the devs might (and i mean might) nerf story mode one day, but that won’t be soon as they stated already that when it comes to balance of all aspects of the game they want to wait and study data thoroughly before making changes so that they make the right change in the end. If they do make story mode easier, i honestly can’t see them making it much easier at all.

Then again, i can only comment on AC

I take back what i said!

Voxnor.1657

That’s a fair point. Can i ask how far into the game you are? I’m probably not the best to judge as i have only tried AC, but have you completed a dungeon part of an effective group yet, either in a guild/friends/randoms? It really is rewarding to be part of an effective team given the difficulty!

Alas, 4 times to die in a dungeon is not bad. if that is how you feel i think you are fighting a losing battle to have the dungeons made easier, even in story mode.

I think the devs might (and i mean might) nerf story mode one day, but that won’t be soon as they stated already that when it comes to balance of all aspects of the game they want to wait and study data thoroughly before making changes so that they make the right change in the end. If they do make story mode easier, i honestly can’t see them making it much easier at all.

Then again, i can only comment on AC

I am 72 on my ranger, who has thus far been my main. I have tried a handful of the dungeons, each time with a random group found through chat.

The dev’s haven’t quite stated what you mention. They did say they want to wait to adjust explorable mode as they feel there is a learning curve, but we havn’t heard anything about story mode specifically. Perhaps they meant it for both, and I am just reading it too specifically.

I take back what i said!

Dan.8213

@Voxnor

The impression i got when reading one interview with them was they wanted to wait and study all aspects from PvP through to dungeons.

I do agree with you a little on Story mode but that’s now why i suggest an early dungeon to ease us in so its not such a shock for most players. I implore you to persist though, try them again with other groups, state in chat that you want only players who want to take their time and cooperate (i specifically did this on my 3rd attempt), or make yourself leader and dictate the flow if you can, sometimes you can’t when some players rush in i know.

But i initially thought AC was a joke…less than 24hrs i feel completely different. The good thing about it is, it will always keep you on your toes and remain a challenge yet very do able and satisfying to beat!

I take back what i said!

Posted by: Crunchy Gremlin.5798

Crunchy Gremlin.5798

Yeah i found AC to be carefully balanced.
The only thing that was a out of wack was the reward at the end.
The first few times i did the reward was well worth it.
after 4 or 5 times it was pretty easy to get epic XP.

After the change it made sense to try to CM which was just a brutal as when i was learning AC.
Honestly i hope they keep adding more unpredicatable events.
Get a more roguelike feel.
Which reminds i have to check out FTL.

(edited by Crunchy Gremlin.5798)

I take back what i said!

Posted by: Tauril.8504

Tauril.8504

It’s true that dungeons (at least AC) only get really interesting once you get to know them and understand them. After two or three runs I started to realize how we have to pay attention to the specialties of the mobs we face to establish kill priorities, I began to learn their animations to recognize their attacks, and so on…
It’s true that people were disturbed by the lack of precise role, they kept saying that they didn’t know what to do. It made me think and I began to understand how much each of us could do to collaborate with each other, how we could save someone from a difficult position. All this by looking at the battlefield.
Once you realize all that you can see what impact you can really have. One of my friend complained that he didn’t feel like he had much impact over the fights, but I realized how important any of my decisions could be.
This makes dungeons interesting whatever their difficulty may be.

On the rewards however, especially the special equipment sets, I can’t help but feel like Anet just didn’t have the time to decide how exactly they would handle it. The current implementation with ‘base’ skins in one panel and the true skins in the other is just weird and I’m really not sure the current prices in token are what was intended when dungeons and their ‘no grind’ philosophy was first announced.

I take back what i said!

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

ArenaNet will be patiently waiting for those of you to figure out eventually that if you’re dying a lot it’s because you’re doing it wrong, not because the dungeons are too hard. I know it’s frustrating but you cannot dismiss or discount the experiences of people who can do it without dying at all and for whom the dungeons are easy. They’re not lying and they’re not trolls. You just don’t get it, yet. People can explain it until they’re blue in the face but you won’t get it until you GET it and then all the stuff everyone’s been saying all along will seem obvious. Everything you think you know and your twitch muscle memory you’ve brought with you from other games needs to be deprogrammed. Reformatted with a fresh install, as it were.

The obstacle is the path.

I take back what i said!

Posted by: Baselerd.4921

Baselerd.4921

Yeah, I can imagine Anets frustration with the crying masses. My dungeon experiences have been dramatically varied. When you find a good, competent group the game truly shines. It is amazing.

However, more often than not, I have ended up in a poor group that has no clue how to play. Whether it be poor builds that die too frequently, inability to call or use targets, etc… the game really punishes the unprepared here.

How can they make a game that truly caters to both good and crappy groups and provide an enriching experience for both? If they nerf the dungeons to make them easier, the times when the group actually can play the content as intended it will be a snooze fest. Similarly (and currently), the content just crushes most groups – but the subset who can will have a blast.

I think it’s a fundamental trade-off that is inherent in the current game design. Only a major overhaul would be able to accommodate both imo. Maybe some sort of back-end logic that adjusts the content based on the group’s performance (e.g. Left 4 Dead?).

I take back what i said!

Posted by: Crunchy Gremlin.5798

Crunchy Gremlin.5798

As far as the item rewards i agree. most of the stuff i get is just junk. The XP though was massive.
I would like to see a fine set of ancient ascalonian armor level 30 drops in AC story/ level35 exp, and is soul bound. Its not flashy. its not special other than it looks different than crafted or open world drop armor.

and/or mats/recipes to make it. Not soul bound.

I take back what i said!

Posted by: Coldkiller.3152

Coldkiller.3152

I would be ok with the difficulty if I were given a fair chance to avoid a one shot death.