[Idea] A way to revitalize the dungeon scene

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: DUNSTAN.8529

DUNSTAN.8529

Like many people in Guild Wars, I enjoy dungeon game-play and have found it difficult recently not to make the assumption that Arenanet would rather we didn’t. On the off-chance that this is not the case, and Arenanet are, in fact, intending to continue to support dungeons, I have a suggestion to help revitalize the scene and to give players more reasons to play the instances without needing to increase liquid rewards.

I got the idea from Guild Wars 1 of all places. Some of you more veteran players may remember armor sets that used to be commonly known as “15k” or “elite” armor but I believe the correct term was “prestige”. Essentially, they were more elaborately designed versions of standard armor sets which were thematically similar to their standard counterparts but more expensive and hence harder and more prestigious to acquire.

So without further ado…

My suggestion is to extend the existing dungeon collections to provide a way for players to acquire newly designed and more elaborate yet thematically consistent (with the relevant dungeon lore) armor sets. For example, upon completion of an existing dungeon collection, a player could unlock an elite collection that will reward armor (and potentially weapon) skins for considerable quantities of dungeon tokens.

This will give players who have already completed the existing dungeon collections for, frankly, menial rewards, a reason to start running the instances again while simultaneously giving everybody else a meaningful and prestigious target to aim for.

(I’m going to take this opportunity to add that people are going to be disappointed if Arenanet does choose to run with this idea and makes people pay gold in addition to dungeon tokens in order to unlock the aforementioned skins. Given the now lower liquid rewards received from dungeons, people are likely to react badly to having to give up their hard-earned gold in addition to the tokens that will undoubtedly take a considerable time investment to unlock.)

In addition to giving players back an incentive to run dungeons, this will give Arenanet a fantastic opportunity to answer another commonly cited request made by players. That is to say, to make more non-gemstore armor sets available.

In conclusion, I think that dungeons are in desperate need of a second look and potentially a total overhaul. They are a staple and popular part of this game and they deserve some attention. I am not naive enough to miss the fact that the implementation of this suggestion will be costly for Arenanet and will bare no direct fruit. It will however help to keep players interested, motivated and ultimately, playing. This, in turn, will contribute towards higher future cash flow and a more sustainable future for the game.

If you agree with me or have any suggestions based on my own, please take this opportunity to voice your opinions/concerns and maybe the idea will reach the relevant decisions makers.

Thank you for reading.

TL;DR Elite dungeon collections that reward elite versions of dungeon armor/weapons for dungeon tokens could provide an incentive for players to return to the scene en masse.

Posted by: Yukiatsuruko.3784

Yukiatsuruko.3784

Anet wants people to stop playing dungeons. Why can’t people just accept this?

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection.

Posted by: Chaos.5072

Chaos.5072

Because they’re fun?

Yukiatsuruko.3784

Because they’re fun?

They’re still there for you to run, so…

If you just want easy gold, it is highly unlikely that Anet will ever increase the liquid rewards from dungeons, even slightly.

Posted by: Teevell.1684

Teevell.1684

Pretty sure the first step to revitalizing the dungeon scene is to get Anet to actually have a dungeon team again.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

Because they’re fun?

If you just want easy gold, it is highly unlikely that Anet will ever increase the liquid rewards from dungeons, even slightly.

They could at least increase the amount of dungeon tokens per run to compensate for gold loss.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Because they’re fun?

They could at least increase the amount of dungeon tokens per run to compensate for gold loss.

Seriously. This. The dungeons aren’t worth grinding anyway, even for the unique rewards. More tokens at least gives us the skins faster.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

Also Ascended items purchased with tokens with high but fair prices.

Posted by: DUNSTAN.8529

DUNSTAN.8529

Because they’re fun?

Did you even read the post? I said nothing about increasing liquid rewards.

Yukiatsuruko.3784

Because they’re fun?

Did you even read the post? I said nothing about increasing liquid rewards.

I wasn’t even quoting you there???

My question to you was why you can’t accept that Anet doesn’t want people running dungeons.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

This.

Anet killed dungeons on purpose. So why would they follow any suggestions to revitalize the dungeon scene? That doesn’t make sense at all.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

There’s plenty of ways for Anet to revitalize dungeons. The problem is they don’t want to…

Posted by: Battledoll.1803

Battledoll.1803

Not going to happen. Be glad that they didn’t remove the dungeons all together. I came back to dungeon after finishing HoT; they are still very fun to play. It is sad to see them abandoned…

Posted by: Cletus Van Damme.2795

Cletus Van Damme.2795

Do like others and play a different game for dungeon type content, it’s done here.

Magumer Ranger

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I’ve got mixed feelings about this now to be honest I definitely miss the dungeon tours, but on the other hand a few dungeon specific rewards are many times more valuable now that the supply has decreased.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Like many people in Guild Wars, I enjoy dungeon game-play and have found it difficult recently not to make the assumption that Arenanet would rather we didn’t. On the off-chance that this is not the case

But it is the case. They admitted to it.

In order to revitalize dungeons you shouldn’t be making suggestions on how to do it, but trying to persuade Anet why they should do it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Like many people in Guild Wars, I enjoy dungeon game-play and have found it difficult recently not to make the assumption that Arenanet would rather we didn’t.

I hate to break it to you, but you don’t have to assume. Anet literally said they would rather you didn’t run dungeons.