Idea: Dungeon Vanquishes

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Rhelik.8146

Rhelik.8146

I’m not sure if anyone has posted anything about this, but a thought came to me while I was running dungeons through the LFG tool. We were skipping past most of the mobs (which is totally fine), and I got to thinking about what could be an interesting incentive to kill them all instead. Then it hit me: what about adding a “Vanquish” reward to dungeons, ala Guild Wars 1’s hard mode vanquishes?

If you kill every mob in an explorable dungeon path, you get an extra bonus chest that includes gold/tokens/loot/something worth the effort. There could even be a new set of dungeon achievements that you earn as you vanquish each explorable path.

This could create an optional way for players to clear dungeon runs with a little extra reward besides the typical loot. What are your thoughts on this idea?

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I would rather Dungeon vanquishes become their own dedicated “path”, separate from the exp dungeon paths. No NPCs, no Gimmicks, NO SCRIPTED EVENTS, no Cutscenes. Just sweet, sweet vanquishing.

Try to imagine Arah without any doors or bosses standing in your way. Imagine how awesome it would be to work your way through the entire map completely opened?

You know, kinda like how vanquishing was in GW1. An open area which lets us explore wherever we want in the dungeon, in any order we want. The most important part of vanquishing in GW1 were the absence of scripted events.

Attachments:

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

@Rhelik: That’s basically the same idea I’ve been proposing for months now. Obviously I’d love to see it get added in, of course.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I think this is a great idea. +1 ^^

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

It would be literally awesome, and it would satisfy all the people who hate skipping

Posted by: One Note Chord.5031

One Note Chord.5031

Even lots people who like skipping would probably like it! I would, anyway, and I like skipping too. I also like the idea of having no scripted events, though I think I’d enjoy it either way.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”
Pre-launch, Colin listed things that make MMOs bad. They are all now in GW2.

Kain Francois.4328

(This idea is different than other Vanquishing threads, I promise!)

Ever wish you could just enjoy team combat in Dungeons? Tired of all the linear, SCRIPTED events inside Explorable dungeons and Fractals? I present to you: Vanquishing!

No locked doors, no gimmicks, no cutscenes, no stupid NPCs, no pre-determined, linear pathway, and NO SCRIPTED EVENTS! Just sweet, sweet combat and exploration.

Imagine you are thrown right inside the middle of Arah. EVERYTHING is opened up to you, your team can explore wherever they wish, and your only objective is to clear all the foes.

Just like in GW1, Vanquishing maps were wide and open. Teams could Vanquish wherever they want, and in any order they want.

Imagine guilds competing for the fastest times, as what would norally be a team of 5 spread to clear different areas of the map, with a team of 2 clearing one side, and a team of 3 clearing another.

Furthermore, imagine there were penalties for wiping. Imagine that if you were to wipe and fail a lot, you would be booted? Imagine if because of the risk, the rewards were worth the effort?

I think GW2 should borrow from Vanquishing in GW1, and adapt them into dungeon maps. Such a thing could only mean good for the end game.

Mechanics:
- After clearing Story Mode, an option opens to create “Vanquishing Mode”.
- Rather than the normal entrance, you and your team are warped into the center of the dungeon map. There are no doors or scripted events to block your progress.

Objectives:
- Clear all foes.

Waypointing:
- There are no waypoints. The only way to respawn is for your team to wipe.
- Reconnecting while others are in combat will spawn you dead.
- A player can wipe themselves by typing up /resign. However, doing so will accumulate death penalty.

Death Penalty and Motivational Boost:
- Each time your team wipes, you accumulate 2% death penalty, reducing all your stats by the percentage of death penalty. If your team exceeds 10% death penalty, you are kicked out.
- Killing foes reduces death penalty.
- Defeating a champion grants you 2% motivational boost, which buffs all stats by the percentage.
- In addition, killing a champion always reduces death penalty 2%.

Endboss:
- At the end of a Vanquish, an end boss appears. Defeat him, and earn your chest!

Rewards:
- 3 to 10 gold (depending on dungeon)
- Chance at exclusive weapon skins (Bone Dragon Staff, Silverwing Flatbow, Voltiac Spear, Eternal Blade, Obsidian Edge, etc…)
- Chance at Precursors (depending dungeon)
- Obsidian Shards
- Ascended Weapons
- Ascended Armoor
- Dungeon Tokens

Vanquisher Title:
- Complete all Vanquisher dungeons to obtain Legendary Vanquisher of Dungeons title.

I’ve uploaded a small GW1-inspired infographic what Arah vanquishing could look like on the minimap.

Attachments:

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

Nike proposed something like this in his recent video-editorial about endgame. I quite like the idea, especially the non-linear aspects which would allow people to approach it by splitting up, etc.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Sooo, basically gw1. Right. Good and all, but you forgot the part where they took everything that made gw what it was and threw it in the trashbin; then they proceeded to disown their own child, and decided to spit on it with every single update ‘til this disgraced kitten son of vanilla mmos came out.
Soz, you’re daydreaming. If they wanted to take what made gw1 so grand and rework it for gw2, they would’ve done it.
It’s not gw1 that they’re using as a reference, oh no no no. And you know it.
Please stop making me think about gw1 and the hopes I had for gw2, it makes me feel heartbroken. I swear that if I see another thread about UW or FoW or any other stuff like that I’m going to smash the screen…

Posted by: mage.3570

mage.3570

^ as he said.

/gw1 was best

Been there, done that. What’s next?

Posted by: Rhelik.8146

Rhelik.8146

I’m happy to see that there is support for something like this! I figured I couldn’t have been the first person to mention this idea, especially since it was present in GW1. Also, I like Kain’s idea of having a “vanquishing mode” where clearing the map is literally your only goal – with proper balancing and a way to lose (ie wipe so many times and you start over), that could lead to some intense gameplay.

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

Cool idea, never gonna happen.

Nova [rT]

Kain Francois.4328

I swear that if I see another thread about UW or FoW or any other stuff like that I’m going to smash the screen…

Don’t give up hope! (There’s a reason ANET made the Aatxe model…)

We just need to stay optimistic, and continue showing our support for what made Guild Wars the amazing franchise is it today!

I do have reasonable beliefs they will consider this idea, because Vanquishing was one of the highest demanded features during the Horizontal Progression CDI awhile back.

I have faith in ArenaNet, to make an awesome endgame like this.

Kain Francois.4328

Vanquishing wont work or be fun in current Explorable dungeons because they are based on linearity and scripted events, which goes against the whole Vanquishing philosophy established in GW1.

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

I like the idea.

Those rewards though, rofl

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I suggested this idea about a year ago now, maybe a little more, and I got shot down in flames, people crying about how it would ruin the game yadda yadda etc,

I 100% agree that vanquishing should be introduced, it could easily be made into an instanced event, go to an NPC, select zone to vanquish, and tada you are teleported to said zone in your own personal instanced event, where you kill all enemies that would be on said map, ( do not include meta events, or local events that spawn more enemies ) all other enemies, vet’s, champs etc are on the map as normal.

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

I like the idea, like I do everytime it gets suggested. I am a bit worried about the reward balance vs making it worth doing. That could be quite challanging to set up. Otherwise people would get their title and shoo, but that’s an issue with most aspects of PvE. It’s also not as different as the other suggestions as you think. It’s exactly like GW1, hence I doubt it will be more than dreaming. They took the name, but wanted a completely new game, that much is clean enough.

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Excellent Idea, which this was a bit grindy back in gw1, I still loved doing it.

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

It’s not as though I’m necessarily against it.
But, truthfully, I’d kind of like to see mobs step up their game in some fashion before/at the same time as implementing something like this.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Why not a survival mode, not like southsun survivor, but in a dungeon. Imagine wave on wave of gravelings…. shudders

Posted by: noobgood.8762

noobgood.8762

AC p2?

Posted by: Northwind.7621

Northwind.7621

Should there be a mechanic for players that kill everything in a dungeon?.

-rewards based on % of monsters and champs killed in a dungeon path
-titles for getting 100% on every path of each dungeon
-if a dungeon is just quickly ran through should it have a negative impact on the final chest?
For example if you beat AC p1 and only vanq 50% you get 15 silver instead of 23. If you get 100%you get 40 silver.
-regular loot drop could be removed form monsters less then veteran
to reduce the remove the extra silver and items from entering the game
and place more value on the end of dungeon reward?.
- the end of dungeon reward could include mats, karma, silver, and some pieces of loot
based on the party completion %age

I feel that this may give players more options while running dungeons and encourage players to tackel more difficult content.

What do you think?,

North

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Would be an interesting mechanic for sure. I think It would be cool. However this would make most dungeons take much much longer than anyone is willing to tolerate. The mobs damage and health would need adjusted to go with this change.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

I can see daily Vanquish missions being added to the main hub (Gendarren at this point) where you except the mission and you have to Vanquish X dungeon path.

Depending on the length and difficulty of the path you get 1-X laurels, karma, gold, something else?

Example: Daily Dungeon Vanquish: CoF path 1. Reward: 1 laurel, 1,500 karma, 20 silver.
Bonus: No one gets downed: 500 karma, 10 silver

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Northwind.7621

lol i just posted this same idea today and got directed here. great minds think alike
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Dungeon-Vanquishing/first#post3894350

Northwind.7621

Here was my idea on it

-rewards based on % of monsters and champs killed in a dungeon path
-titles for getting 100% on every path of each dungeon
-if a dungeon is just quickly ran through should it have a negative impact on the final chest?
For example if you beat AC p1 and only vanq 50% you get 15 silver instead of 23. If you get 100%you get 40 silver.
-regular loot drop could be removed form monsters less then veteran
to reduce the remove the extra silver and items from entering the game
and place more value on the end of dungeon reward?.
- the end of dungeon reward could include mats, karma, silver, and some pieces of loot
based on the party completion %age
I feel that this may give players more options while running dungeons and encourage players to tackel more difficult content.
What do you think?,