Impossible to do AC right now...

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: pEEtrs.4320

pEEtrs.4320

I run AC quite often (easy money if u ask me) and I have yet to encounter this exploit. Haven’t seen it, don’t have idea why exploit such easy bosses.

Oh well and if I get kicked out of group, no biggie, I’ll find another one and put exploiters on black list.

Oh and btw. what’s stopping you from forming your own group which will not use such exploit?

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Stairs on AC, tactical advantage and an oversight by the devs, cuts off maybe 5 mins of your run and saves the chance of someone accidently dying.

Mountain in CM, obvious exploit and an oversight by the devs, cuts off up to 30 mins of the run and skips bosses, mobs and loot.

P3 Arah, questionable exploit, FIXED and oversight by the devs, cuts off several revivals and maybe 5 mins of the run.

My point here is tactical advantage should be allowed when it does not skip huge portions or bosses. People that have been running AC for 3 months every day are sick of putting in effort for a boss that could be done afk, that is not their fault. People that skip a mountain in CM are lazy and would favour the “I win” button so yes, something should be done about that. For the people that do Arah, I honestly don’t blame them for looking for cheap ways to get through mobs and mobs and mobs of silvers for no reason, who wants to spend 3+ hours in a dungeon making crap loot?

The exploits/tactics used by players are not their problem, devs released the game with these issues, it is their job to fix them. I don’t put short dungeon runs down to player laziness but to dev laziness. After 3 months of doing the same paths over and over you would easily take the easy path because in those 3 months the devs have still not fixed it.

When people are sick of running them than they should stop running them. Being tired of a dungeon is not an excuse to bypass game mechanics, which IS exploiting. It is not a tactical advantage when the target just stands there due to a coding oversight. It also is on the heads of the players and not the devs. It is called having ethics and simply not cheat.

Posted by: Mnemesis.8257

Mnemesis.8257

It is not a tactical advantage when the target just stands there due to a coding oversight. It also is on the heads of the players and not the devs. It is called having ethics and simply not cheat.

The problem with this statement is that ethics is a subjective topic based upon the social norms of the environment. When something has been allowed to remain as long as this particular bug/exploit/unforeseen tactical advantage (w/e you get the point) it becomes a norm and is devoid of ethical scrutiny. Third parties may look at these actions and frown upon them, while others take this as little more than height advantage. If this is really such a huge problem in the eyes of the devs, they can easily counterbalance this by adding spider spawns to the steps so that gaining a purchase on the ledge is not without effort; possibly writing him to reset in such situations as well. My point here is that it’s nearly 5 months after release and this has not been addressed, so ethical context cannot be applied to a situation where such actions have been allowed to progress to this extent. However, as the devs have claimed to revamp some of the dungeons in the near future, it would be moot to continue discussing it until we has seen these aforementioned “changes” and determine whether or not they improve the dungeon “experience”. Should these new implementations correct the problems at hand, or create new ones, that is the time these issues should be considered in full force because their full attention will be directed at improving PvE gameplay; now is the time to improve upon class functionality.

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

When people are sick of running them than they should stop running them. Being tired of a dungeon is not an excuse to bypass game mechanics, which IS exploiting. It is not a tactical advantage when the target just stands there due to a coding oversight. It also is on the heads of the players and not the devs. It is called having ethics and simply not cheat.

When people have to farm a dungeon 30-35 times just to make a set of armor or in the case of AC, farm to make money, as it is currently one of the best areas of monetary value at minimum effort then it is safe to assume they are tired of the content. The dungeons currently have no changes, they are the same thing from point A to point B and when you do that 30-35 times and find you can skip a mob or three due to agro range or getting into a room where they cant follow then no it is not really cheating. It is boredom, because the loot is that bad there is no reason to waste time killing everything just because it is the way it was originally designed. There is no reward for players that way, aside from keeping yourself happy I suppose.

If I had a choice of walking through a hallway full of silvers with little to no loot to get to the boss or jump in the water, swim under the bridge and climb out the other side scott-free I would take the jump every time. I would not care about keeping players of the group or devs happy because it is the right thing to do, I might try it once or twice but it would be on the devs head to take note of it and provide a work around; can you fire mortars to clear bridge but with no loot, do you fight the silvers but with increased loot drops, do they remove the water to stop it altogether? The post above this about there being a time limit on ethics is a very smart post indeed, if this “exploit” with the stairs was fixed within a day or two of being known then we wouldn’t be having this discussion but unfortunately the longer they don’t bother to actually do their job and fix it the longer they are saying it is ok to players. That is just my two cents.

Robert Hrouda.1327:

It’s one of those human things to do something with the path of least resistance and danger, especially when there is a reward at the end. I could make enemies never drop their aggro on players and force them to fight every single mob, but I don’t see that as a viable solution right now.
I think the better solution is to look at why people are skipping things, and approach from a different angle. Trash mobs have too much HP, and can’t be counted on for lucrative drops from a Risk/Time vs Reward, so people interested in making money (most groups) aren’t incentivized to do it, whereas the end chest/boss are more guaranteed and accountable returns on time and risk. I also think there is something to be said about interesting trash mob mechanics making them more enjoyable of a fight.

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”

(edited by Turial.1293)

Conner.4702

When people have to farm a dungeon 30-35 times just to make a set of armor or in the case of AC, farm to make money, as it is currently one of the best areas of monetary value at minimum effort then it is safe to assume they are tired of the content. The dungeons currently have no changes, they are the same thing from point A to point B and when you do that 30-35 times and find you can skip a mob or three due to agro range or getting into a room where they cant follow then no it is not really cheating. It is boredom, because the loot is that bad there is no reason to waste time killing everything just because it is the way it was originally designed. There is no reward for players that way, aside from keeping yourself happy I suppose.

If I had a choice of walking through a hallway full of silvers with little to no loot to get to the boss or jump in the water, swim under the bridge and climb out the other side scott-free I would take the jump every time. I would not care about keeping players of the group or devs happy because it is the right thing to do, I might try it once or twice but it would be on the devs head to take note of it and provide a work around; can you fire mortars to clear bridge but with no loot, do you fight the silvers but with increased loot drops, do they remove the water to stop it altogether? The post above this about there being a time limit on ethics is a very smart post indeed, if this “exploit” with the stairs was fixed within a day or two of being known then we wouldn’t be having this discussion but unfortunately the longer they don’t bother to actually do their job and fix it the longer they are saying it is ok to players. That is just my two cents.

Robert Hrouda.1327:

It’s one of those human things to do something with the path of least resistance and danger, especially when there is a reward at the end. I could make enemies never drop their aggro on players and force them to fight every single mob, but I don’t see that as a viable solution right now.
I think the better solution is to look at why people are skipping things, and approach from a different angle. Trash mobs have too much HP, and can’t be counted on for lucrative drops from a Risk/Time vs Reward, so people interested in making money (most groups) aren’t incentivized to do it, whereas the end chest/boss are more guaranteed and accountable returns on time and risk. I also think there is something to be said about interesting trash mob mechanics making them more enjoyable of a fight.

Sorry but that’s a load of baloney. It’s not on the developers heads if you choose to exploit. Take responsibility for your own actions. A set of armor is each path 7 times. That is hardly a lot and far from getting bored from it already.
Also that quote was about skipping mobs and not exploiting.

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

Ive never seen anyone use this exploit and I see little reason for people to use it. The path 1 and 3 bosses are faceroll anyway if you got half a brain something which the exploiters seem to lack.

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

Simple fix – Anet needs to nerf everyone so that we have the same gear in dungeons. Outfit everyone with AC gear upon entering AC and nerf everyone’s weapons and health upon entering to level the playing field.

There always seems to be a line of people waiting to get into AC, most of them are way OP which are looking for other OP players to farm gold with. (leaving the Lvl aprop players waiting for ever for enough of them to collect to be able to run it)

I thought about running it for getting enough tokens for a full AC armor set, trouble is once I looked at the stats on the gear I could purchase I realized it would be a waste of time as the gear I have is way better than the AC stuff. (is there really that much of a market for selling it?)

So typical of every RPG game I’ve ever played – the reward is something worse than I’m already equipped with. (sigh)

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

How hard is it for players to understand that they are exploiting a bug ? A monsters which cannot hit you because you are out of range or standing somewhere it can’t hit you will turn invulnerable. This boss doesn’t.
Don’t turn this into “I’m using the terrain as a tactical advantage”. If you want to do that, use pillars and walls to hide from his attacks (or you know, stand near him to easily dodge his scream, even if you are a ranged character). What you are doing is abusing a bugged mechanic.

Mountain in CM, obvious exploit and an oversight by the devs, cuts off up to 30 mins of the run and skips bosses, mobs and loot.

I don’t know which mountain exploit you are talking about (players keep finding new places to jump) but I’m pretty sure that none of them saved you up to 30 minutes…unless your team was exceptionally bad. The part players exploit is when you have to either jump on the ramp (P3)/hug the wall (P1), kill 4 silver bandits for a chest, kill 2 silver bandits, a bunch of trash with one or 2 silver, and run to the boss. That’s hardly 30 minutes.

Turial.1293

Sorry but that’s a load of baloney. It’s not on the developers heads if you choose to exploit. Take responsibility for your own actions. A set of armor is each path 7 times. That is hardly a lot and far from getting bored from it already.

Ha ha, based on your reaction to comments in here and another thread you seem to believe I am an exploiter purely because I disagree with you. I don’t exploit, I prefer to play dungeons the way they were intended but still I will skip trash mobs at the end of the day, I have killed them, there is no reward there so why bother. As for the stairs glitch, I would prefer to fight the bosses, as said above, they are faceroll easy but when 4 out 5 party members are wanding him to death, what should I do? Leave to show them exploiting is wrong and miss out on tokens, stay in agro range and die? Chances are you follow where the team goes unless you want to suffer repair costs.

“Why not look for a team not using stairs then?” Glad you asked Conner, more than half of AC runs consist of stair users and at the end of the day I am there for tokens and coins, I don’t care if mobs are skipped or people use the stairs. It is not a huge cut off for time if they do. This glitch has been around since release and still has not been fixed, now almost every player knows of it and almost every player will use it. The problem with the whole situation is that instead of spending time on the forums merging and modding posts there could be real work done in fixing things that are broken in the game.

Turial.1293

How hard is it for players to understand that they are exploiting a bug ? A monsters which cannot hit you because you are out of range or standing somewhere it can’t hit you will turn invulnerable. This boss doesn’t.
Don’t turn this into “I’m using the terrain as a tactical advantage”. If you want to do that, use pillars and walls to hide from his attacks (or you know, stand near him to easily dodge his scream, even if you are a ranged character). What you are doing is abusing a bugged mechanic.

I don’t know which mountain exploit you are talking about (players keep finding new places to jump) but I’m pretty sure that none of them saved you up to 30 minutes…unless your team was exceptionally bad. The part players exploit is when you have to either jump on the ramp (P3)/hug the wall (P1), kill 4 silver bandits for a chest, kill 2 silver bandits, a bunch of trash with one or 2 silver, and run to the boss. That’s hardly 30 minutes.

Seriously, what is wrong with this over-sensitive community and arguing about bloody semantics? 30 minutes, 3 minutes, 3 billion minutes, who gives a crap? The point I am making is that it cuts off a far bit more time than skipping a few mobs in TA.

JEEZ!!

Posted by: Koga.7215

Koga.7215

Robert Hrouda.1327:

7times to each path is about a full set (is for AC, others take more). Many dung have common parts to all 3 paths meaning 21+ times doing the same thing. you tell me your not board or start to want to skip things that are not needed to be killed to get the runs done?

you also assume that each path is equal in that you will run all 3 paths, go look for CoF or TA gear, I bet you will not be running p3 or F/F 7 times, or even if you would finding people to do them 7 times is hard. this isnt as much of an issue in AC, but most people shouldn’t be doing AC for the gear as the stats are not that great for most all classes and if you disagree with that you should rethink how gimp your making your char build from what it can be.

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I’m neither for or against it. All I have to say if was not intended to be used then it will be blocked in the future when they update the dungeons.

Most complaint threads come from people in pub groups. Either find a guild that is like minded or never go into a dungeon. In most cases people want to finish dungeons with the least amount of effort. Standing up on a ledge and using range to take out a boss may not be the most efficient way to do it but it sounds pretty easy.

You will find your life will become much easier if you just go with the flow of the group. You will never win the battle of " lets do this the hard way instead of the easy way".

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Posted by: Highvoltage.7946

Highvoltage.7946

If Anet would ban anyone who exploit a glitch they would have a lot to do and lose players aswell.

They would lose exploiters, not players… And good riddance, I say. If ArenaNet were that afraid of losing exploiters, they wouldn’t have permanently banned the snowflake exploiters.

uptight much?

RedStar.4218

Seriously, what is wrong with this over-sensitive community and arguing about bloody semantics? 30 minutes, 3 minutes, 3 billion minutes, who gives a crap? The point I am making is that it cuts off a far bit more time than skipping a few mobs in TA.
JEEZ!!

The point was that players exploiting don’t even realize how much time they are saving. In CM, exploiting that mountain barely saves 5 minutes. Unless of course your team is bad which is the reason some bugs are being exploited : either the team sucks and they need it to win, or the team wants to minimize the risk. And since those players never try to do it the normal way, they don’t know how to do it, making that ridiculous exploit more attractive.
It fact, it cuts less time than skipping in TA, or even in AC.

And before the current mountain exploit, it was actually longer to run all the way around than to simply fights a few silver and trash mob.

And there’s another reason I quoted you : when a CM takes less than 30 minutes, I had to question how an exploit that takes place near the end of it can save yourself 30 minutes.

Posted by: Rhinzual.7861

Rhinzual.7861

Why not just make it so all the bosses can use a powerful ranged/aoe attack centered on the stairs if people keep attacking it from where it normally cannot reach? You know, basically to ‘encourage’ people to get in the boss’s arena.

Conner.4702

Robert Hrouda.1327:

7times to each path is about a full set (is for AC, others take more). Many dung have common parts to all 3 paths meaning 21+ times doing the same thing. you tell me your not board or start to want to skip things that are not needed to be killed to get the runs done?

you also assume that each path is equal in that you will run all 3 paths, go look for CoF or TA gear, I bet you will not be running p3 or F/F 7 times, or even if you would finding people to do them 7 times is hard. this isnt as much of an issue in AC, but most people shouldn’t be doing AC for the gear as the stats are not that great for most all classes and if you disagree with that you should rethink how gimp your making your char build from what it can be.

I’m not assuming anything, you on the other hand are assuming a lot, nowhere did I state they were equal. Also or the record no I’m not bored of them I’ve done AC many times CoF as well and I can keep doing them with no problem. No I don’t do CoF p3 mainly because the first part is a pain. If I start to get bored of them I’ll just stop doing them for a while. I don’t funnel myself into only one small aspect of the game.

As for gear you know a lot of people actually go for the armor they think looks best and stats be kitten Stats don’t make you a good player. Being a good player makes you a good player. You might want to think that over for a while.

@Turial.1293 when you condone exploiting it makes you just as bad as those that does it. You made your stance clear by saying the developers are at fault at the heart of it.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Was just in a group – a guardian, three warriors and one ranger who kept dying so he switched to a ranger. We reached the P1 boss, and despite the fact that all members of the group dealt more damage with melee attacks than with ranged attacks, the ranger/guardian went up the stairs. When asked about why, since it would be faster to melee the boss, the guy just replied he doesn’t like to die every two seconds.

This is a huge part of this issue. People are not smart enough to realize that, even if all they care about is doing runs as fast as possible, using this exploit may not be in their best interest. Here we have a player claiming he could not find a way to defeat an easy boss without dying, so he would rather kill it slowly and safely. If that’s not exploiting…

(And for the records, I left. I didn’t stay to exploit the boss with the other exploiters. Because claiming “peer pressure” would force someone to do something wrong is just an empty excuse.)

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Koga.7215

Koga.7215

I’m not assuming anything, you on the other hand are assuming a lot, nowhere did I state they were equal. Also or the record no I’m not bored of them I’ve done AC many times CoF as well and I can keep doing them with no problem. No I don’t do CoF p3 mainly because the first part is a pain. If I start to get bored of them I’ll just stop doing them for a while. I don’t funnel myself into only one small aspect of the game.

As for gear you know a lot of people actually go for the armor they think looks best and stats be kitten Stats don’t make you a good player. Being a good player makes you a good player. You might want to think that over for a while.

funny how removing the thing you were responding to in your quote makes it seem like you assumed nothing when you told the guy he was full of crap and i justified each thing he said.

and if you think stats do not matter your clearly do not understand that while the player skill only starts where a players skill level is, his gear/build/stats make a huge difference. the difference from using the wrong gear and the correct gear is huge, and even larger for a good player who knows what they are doing.

Bad players are bad no matter their gear, this not the case for good players

Posted by: Rhinzual.7861

Rhinzual.7861

Was just in a group – a guardian, three warriors and one ranger who kept dying so he switched to a ranger. We reached the P1 boss, and despite the fact that all members of the group dealt more damage with melee attacks than with ranged attacks, the ranger/guardian went up the stairs. When asked about why, since it would be faster to melee the boss, the guy just replied he doesn’t like to die every two seconds.

This is a huge part of this issue. People are not smart enough to realize that, even if all they care about is doing runs as fast as possible, using this exploit may not be in their best interest. Here we have a player claiming he could not find a way to defeat an easy boss without dying, so he would rather kill it slowly and safely. If that’s not exploiting…

(And for the records, I left. I didn’t stay to exploit the boss with the other exploiters. Because claiming “peer pressure” would force someone to do something wrong is just an empty excuse.)

Some people will kick others for not staying on the stairs and that means having to find another group to do the whole run all over again, and hoping the new one is cool with going melee against the boss.

Posted by: Me Kill You.9035

Me Kill You.9035

“Exploits” like the AC example are always going to occur in MMOs of this kind wherever people find them… It’s kind of just a natural thing especially when games are still practically new like gw2.

If you don’t like it, make it clear to your group from the start you don’t want to do it and if they disagree well then leave, it’s not really going to affect you either way.

I think that the kind of exploit discussed here and exploits that take advantage to gain a profit (snowflakes) are in completely different boats. You can argue all you want that “it’s not right people should be morale and know better!” but it’s just one of things atm that is going to happen (I have personally run AC 50+ times and have only encountered this exploit once).

Anet in due time will address these problems and fix them, but until then your kittening and moaning and pushing your morality on others isn’t going to change much, sorry.

Jade Quarry [TPA]

Turial.1293

@Turial.1293 when you condone exploiting it makes you just as bad as those that does it. You made your stance clear by saying the developers are at fault at the heart of it.

Not at all, I made my stance clear when I said that I don’t exploit and if it comes to be 4 party members on the stairs then yeah I will follow for my tokens at the end of the day. The boss takes literally the same amount of time to melee as he does from the stairs so as far as I can see there is no shortcut here, just a risk removal. Also, if your party can make it to the boss then there is obviously no problem in killing it, the party has probably just done it already more times than they can count. Players will be lazy just the same amount of time that the developers will be. I don’t blindly follow or trust Anet since GW2 has been a let down in many areas, you seem to think they have nothing to do on their part? You are wrong I am afraid to say. If they cared, it should be fixed ASAP, not every 3 months. I would be happier if they just fixed the bugs in the game instead of new content.

When you condone long lasting glitches/bugs and lazy devs you are as bad as those that do it. You made your stance clear by saying players are at fault at the heart of it.

Posted by: Merendel.7128

Merendel.7128

I dont really care if some folks in my group want to hide up on those stairs for those boss fights. I normaly just stay down and mix it up with the boss and the adds because i find it more intresting and I can survive it. As long as I live through the fight and I keep the boss close enough for them to keep shooting I dont see why they would have any reason to complain.

Posted by: charr outcast.3476

charr outcast.3476

If it makes folks feel better, mr rumble lizard in p3 climbed the stairs after my PUG group tonight…so…I have some trouble calling this an exploit v. a tactic.

RedStar.4218

If it makes folks feel better, mr rumble lizard in p3 climbed the stairs after my PUG group tonight…so…I have some trouble calling this an exploit v. a tactic.

It’s still an exploit. Except that this time it didn’t worked.

Although I heard that the boss in P3 is less likely to bug like the boss in P1.

Posted by: MaxJacobs.4273

MaxJacobs.4273

Would really love to know if this is recognised officially as an exploit or not.

Posted by: XerxesBlack.5892

XerxesBlack.5892

^what has already been said about why people should not be banned for this.

Only thing I have to add- I don’t mind hard work to get the best gear. What I do mind is when it requires you to do the exact same dungeon and paths multiple times in a game that has claimed and fought against the mentality for grind in mmos.

Beaks N Talons [NERF] – Engineer of the great and mighty Fort Engineer guild!

(edited by XerxesBlack.5892)

Posted by: airstu.2579

airstu.2579

Don’t get the stairs thing. 3k+ tokens and counting and I have never used them, ever.

Calisto – NSP BPTCBP
Dictator for Life
Shiverpeaks Search and Rescue [Lost]

Posted by: Lerysh.8173

Lerysh.8173

Tactical Advantage is NOT the same as content skipping exploit. If the boss can’t reach you but you can still reach him it’s an exploit, not an “advantage”.

I just got kicked from a group because I refused to wuss out and fight on the stairs, they claimed it wasn’t a “Free ride” which made me laugh. THEN someone in the group said “sure feels like a free ride from up here” which made me laugh even more. Please ANet, fix these exploits. Watching a health bar move down for 10 minutes isn’t fun, and being in groups that INSIST on using the easy way is also not fun.