Incentives for experienced players to help

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

I think Dungeons were a social experiment by Anet. This is why they don’t post in the forums, don’t fix bugs, and leave us to trolling eachother. They sit above us, looking down and taking notes.

They pay litle attention to not constructive feedback, that includes troll posts, using inapropiate terms, hostility, etc.

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I think Dungeons were a social experiment by Anet. This is why they don’t post in the forums, don’t fix bugs, and leave us to trolling eachother. They sit above us, looking down and taking notes.

They pay litle attention to not constructive feedback, that includes troll posts, using inapropiate terms, hostility, etc.

They actually don’t pay attention to anything. They make empty promises and do what they want. You must not be familiar with their history.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

They actually don’t pay attention to anything. They make empty promises and do what they want. You must not be familiar with their history.

Thats not totally fair to speak , but still if it was, paying attention doesnt mean “do what the users said” or make reality a promise, just a reply. And thats the big difference between this forum and others, theres not replies here.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Thats not totally fair to speak , but still if it was, paying attention doesnt mean “do what the users said” or make reality a promise, just a reply. And thats the big difference between this forum and others, theres not replies here.

We just want to have the pretty red tags on some of our threads as well

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Keep dreeeeeeaming….

Posted by: Syn Sity.5826

Syn Sity.5826

If you are telling parties what to do over and over again and they are NOT LISTENING, and then posting on the forum how rude and obnoxious the zerkz are, perhaps it’s not the pugs that’s the problem.

I see this opposite. I would say “perhaps it’s not the zerk party that’s the problem”

I guess you would see it that way. Maybe that’s part of the problem.

We can do a back and forth all day, but that will help nothing. There are two scenarios

1) The zerker party is rude. They yell at the 1500 range ranger and tell him to melee. He says he only uses bows, so they call him a BHB and kick him.

2) An efficient group that may or may not be zerk. They say “Hey, do you mind stacking over here and getting a sword. You’re pulling the boss” So the ranger replies “I play how I want” Then he finishes the dungeon and comes on the forums to complain about how elitist zerk parites are.

I see the 2nd one more often than the first.

My guild pulls pugs all the time, and we have only ever kicked one guy after 100s of runs.

One. Mostly for being rude.

We ask nicely, and people are so happy to have the help understanding the mechanics or better ways of doing things, they happily oblige and thank us for the fast run and the help.

But I also don’t talk down to people about their builds on the forums, or act like mine is the only opinion that matters.

I never said you did. We’re talking about in game.

You gave one example to boost my point, and none to the other.

I believe some people that come in here saying that a zerker was rude to them (they probably joined a speedrun group) but I think it’s safe to say a lot are made up to get their point across.

This entire thread (and 80% of the others in this sub) are full of people talking smack about other people’s builds, and that culture permeates the game.

I won’t defend their choices in the current meta, but having everyone harass them about their “terrible” Gear, Traits, Weapons, and utilities isn’t going to bring everyone up to your standards.

The people here moan and complain about how all the “bads” don’t listen, when it’s pretty clear that most people wouldn’t listen to them even if they are correct, simply because they are Dismissive, Condescending, and Rude.

Just because people agree with you doesn’t mean that you are right, and this culture of “the cool kids speed runners club” is creating a very adversarial attitude in both the people who listen to the elitists, and the people who don’t like their superiority complex. Making this particular group their own worst enemy, and rendering them incapable of anything but making fun of people struggling to understand a game that is very different from other MMOs.

At least some of you have made easily found videos about builds and traits for certain professions, but in reality, some of the people that come here to the dungeon forums do so ONLY to make fun of others that come here to ask legitimate questions. I mean, if you are so bored with the game that you have to troll the forums, go play something else and leave the community more positive and helpful than it is with you in it.

As I (and many others on this subforum) have said over and over, if you want to run a useless build in your own groups that’s fine. Just don’t join speedrun groups and DON’T go around preaching about how good the build is just because you don’t care about being optimal. Nothing frustrates me more than someone saying “I don’t care about optimizing I just like to have fun and bla bla, but my build still works REALLY well with my own playstyle and I do very well in dungeons”.

Run your crappy build all you want but don’t go around saying it’s such a great build because all that matters to you is completing the dungeon. Oh, and don’t even say the words “cookie” and “cutter” in the same sentence.

[DnT]

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I for one don’t think those “other” build is bad at all.

For bad player or inexperienced player those defensive gear is pretty good.

I proably wouldn’t complete aetherblade retreat, or the new TA if I didn’t have a seperate soldier gear. Most of my teamate is on the ground most of the time. I’m probalby on the ground too if I’m wearing berserker. So in the end, I just put on my soldier gear and cheese my way through slowly.

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

noobs play with noobs

elitists play with elitists

that’s just the way it is, and it’s the way everyone is happy

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: Young Somalia.1706

Young Somalia.1706

Oh, and don’t even say the words “cookie” and “cutter” in the same sentence.

I’MMA CUT COOKIE ‘CAUSE HE’S A COOKIE AND I’M A COOKIE CUTTER

Guard: Driveby Brofist; Warrior: Giganticus Elitist
[LOD]

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

As I (and many others on this subforum) have said over and over, if you want to run a useless build in your own groups that’s fine. Just don’t join speedrun groups and DON’T go around preaching about how good the build is just because you don’t care about being optimal. Nothing frustrates me more than someone saying “I don’t care about optimizing I just like to have fun and bla bla, but my build still works REALLY well with my own playstyle and I do very well in dungeons”.

snip

Maybe it’s not what you say, but how you say it.

Who is setting this adversarial tone around here, anyway?

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

snip

Truth doesn’t become less true just because you don’t like the tone.

The longer it takes for you to realize this, the longer you’ll run a crappy build.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

some of the people that come here to the dungeon forums do so ONLY to make fun of others that come here to ask legitimate questions.

Show me ONE SINGLE thread where somebody makes fun of somebody asking a legitimate question on the dungeons forum.

It may get derailed, but if it’s a legitimate question, it will mostly likely be answered.

RIP in peace Robert

lunyboy.8672

some of the people that come here to the dungeon forums do so ONLY to make fun of others that come here to ask legitimate questions.

Show me ONE SINGLE thread where somebody makes fun of somebody asking a legitimate question on the dungeons forum.

It may get derailed, but if it’s a legitimate question, it will mostly likely be answered.

How about the funniest player fails thread? It doesn’t qualify as a “question” per se, but it is certainly a LOT of people making fun of others.

Or how about the erstwhile TA F/U path threads, where e’erybody hopped on the troll bandwagon?

The truth is, MOST of the threads started in this forum digress into various forms of sarcastic, rude condescension. My question to you is, can you show me a thread older than a week that DOESN’T have someone with this tone in it?

The longer it takes for you to realize this, the longer you’ll run a crappy build.

I would guess you are rude with the “truth” because you would rather feel superior than be helpful.

There are so few exceptions to that here.

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

How about the funniest player fails thread? It doesn’t qualify as a “question” per se, but it is certainly a LOT of people making fun of others.

Most of the posts in that thread are so called elitists pointing out their own fails.

Or how about the erstwhile TA F/U path threads, where e’erybody hopped on the troll bandwagon?

The first few dozen TAFU threads got legit answers. eventually, we all started to assume the posters were trolls continuing a meme and treated them as such.

Also, it should be noted that most of the time we gave legit answers in a TAFU thread we were responded to with “play how you want” BS which is typically the cause of the derailment.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Bright.9160

I would guess you are rude with the “truth” because you would rather feel superior than be helpful.

I actually give genuine and non-rude answers on the forums pretty often, provided the question isn’t completely stupid/useless/some BHB post.

“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

I actually give genuine and non-rude answers on the forums pretty often, provided the question isn’t completely stupid/useless/some BHB post.

Gotta hand it to him, Bright’s right.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Ethics.4519

Most of the posts in that thread are so called elitists pointing out their own fails.

The first few dozen TAFU threads got legit answers. eventually, we all started to assume the posters were trolls continuing a meme and treated them as such.

Also, it should be noted that most of the time we gave legit answers in a TAFU thread we were responded to with “play how you want” BS which is typically the cause of the derailment.

This^ Exactly what my response was going to be.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

snip

Maybe not, but a negative tone is far more likely to lead to an adversarial approach to your advice.

deSade.9437

Ohhhh, ohhhh, those guys on the forums are mean to me! They told me my build is bad!!! I hate it! They’re rude so it means I’m right and they’re wrong!!!! I’m huuuuuuuuurt in the feeeeeelings.
What about uh… not taking the internet seriously? No? Well, go ahead and keep getting cathurt, then, what can I say. I’d also like to remind you: NEVER question yourself.
This is the way to go! Keep at it!

swiftpaw.6397

Ohhhh, ohhhh, those guys on the forums are mean to me! They told me my build is bad!!! I hate it! They’re rude so it means I’m right and they’re wrong!!!! I’m huuuuuuuuurt in the feeeeeelings.
What about uh… not taking the internet seriously? No? Well, go ahead and keep getting cathurt, then, what can I say. I’d also like to remind you: NEVER question yourself.

I always say I’m offended but they just ignore me and keep saying offensive things.

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)

Black Box.9312

I’m not suggesting that they’re in the right for acting that way, but at the same time so many people here wonder why they encounter such conflict so often, but they refuse to look at themselves as a potential source of the problem.

Bright.9160

I’m not suggesting that they’re in the right for acting that way, but at the same time so many people here wonder why they encounter such conflict so often, but they refuse to look at themselves as a potential source of the problem.

It depends which topic you’re talking about. If it’s a neutral topic and someone has a genuine question/problem, we are usually pretty helpful. Take for example the guy who needed help to solo Lupicus . That thread is full of helpful comments and tips and tricks.

Now, if the subject isn’t neutral, but one that we’ve been hearing so often, and are tired of hearing, we usually already passed the stage of being nice, and we don’t care anymore. Or if it’s a topic that thinly disguised as casual elitism, we’ll usually not answer it nicely.

lunyboy.8672

It depends which topic you’re talking about. If it’s a neutral topic and someone has a genuine question/problem, we are usually pretty helpful. Take for example the guy who needed help to solo Lupicus . That thread is full of helpful comments and tips and tricks.

Now, if the subject isn’t neutral, but one that we’ve been hearing so often, and are tired of hearing, we usually already passed the stage of being nice, and we don’t care anymore. Or if it’s a topic that thinly disguised as casual elitism, we’ll usually not answer it nicely.

I am not pointing to anyone in particular, and in fact, you are the exception in several instances. But what does it say when your posts are one of few in a thread that aren’t rude?

And as I have said before, I personally appreciate when people like Brazil take the time to make videos for builds and what not, it is really helpful, but there has to be a middle ground between Soloing Lubricus Efficient and Irredeemably Bad in PvE.

If people are coming here because they are frustrated, upset, or having real problems, and the first thing people do is start trolling them, it isn’t because there are so many bad players (as certain posters allege in-between bans), it’s because the good players are too busy patting each other on the back for trolling to help the community.

Ethics.4519

If people are coming here because they are frustrated, upset, or having real problems, and the first thing people do is start trolling them, it isn’t because there are so many bad players (as certain posters allege in-between bans), it’s because the good players are too busy patting each other on the back for trolling to help the community.

You seem to miss the point. When somebody really has a question or is seeking help, this forum is more than helpful.

When they come in here because they are ‘frustrated, upset, or having real problems’ then of course they get trolled. They aren’t trying to find advice or seek help, they are coming in here to vent, whine, and moan.

How you ask for help makes all the difference. We shouldn’t have to act nice and friendly to everybody. Just because they feel like they are entitled to something, doesn’t mean we have to oblige.

RIP in peace Robert

Black Box.9312

You seem to miss the point. When somebody really has a question or is seeking help, this forum is more than helpful.

When they come in here because they are ‘frustrated, upset, or having real problems’ then of course they get trolled. They aren’t trying to find advice or seek help, they are coming in here to vent, whine, and moan.

How you ask for help makes all the difference. We shouldn’t have to act nice and friendly to everybody. Just because they feel like they are entitled to something, doesn’t mean we have to oblige.

Then don’t say anything at all. It doesn’t matter how justified such behavior may feel, because it’s going to tarnish your reputation regardless.

swiftpaw.6397

Reputation on a video game forum. Now I’ve read it all. -_-

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

perfect example of some little poobutt baddie coming in with a horrible baddie attitude, but WHOOPS he actual got a hand-holding perfect walkthrough of what he was asking about. alas, he continued to have a kittenstain baddie attitude about “elitists”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/CoF-Elitists/first#post2407802

Retired. Too many casuals.

swiftpaw.6397

heheheh a scumbag steve. Good Ol’ steve.

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Also should be pointed out, for people who don’t realize it (lunyboy), that the elite players put out guides like crazy. Poobutt bads don’t. So who’s a bigger help to the community?

Retired. Too many casuals.

Posted by: Kingteranas.1376

Kingteranas.1376

Back to the OP: There are “elite” players who do help new players often. However, besides the good karma mentality, there is no real reason to not do an exp only run and spend less time on it. Sure, meeting new people and helping out is a blast, and I enjoy that personally however from an objective standpoint since Anet doesn’t have any current tangible rewards for helping new players most of the “experienced” players don’t feel like helping. If they added an extra gold reward or bonus chest maybe the scene could change. Not sure how they would do so, unless they coded the system based on the dungeon mastery path completion.

Kingteranas – 80 Guardian
Queen Of Macabre – 80 Thief
Dragonbrand [Ankh]

lunyboy.8672

Also should be pointed out, for people who don’t realize it (lunyboy), that the elite players put out guides like crazy. Poobutt bads don’t. So who’s a bigger help to the community?

People who don’t get banned regularly for being rude?

That’s just a guess, though.

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

banned? whats that have to do with a guide, the guide stays up if your banned…

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

The only problem is, when you lose your signature where you had your guide linked, it gets forgotten once it goes beyond page 1.

:(

I’ve had a whole bunch of people PM me on here, /w me in game and add me as a contact in-game, asking for my opinion on mesmer phantasm builds, so despite the fact that I’ve been smacked with like three bans on this forum I’d say I’ve been a lot more useful than the bads on the forum. One guy even said my guide should be compulsory reading. But sure, I guess the random player complaining about TAFU/zerkers/elitists is a massive help to the community.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Yea i get ppl whispering me about necro all the time. And im always happy to help and answer questions.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

People only whisper me for Arah runs :’(

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

Hmmm… Everyone is missing signatures…

Screw zerkers! Signature-less is the way to go

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I think the missing signature is a reasonable sanction. Demostrates Anet’s interest in developing the community for ALL players, regardless of their views on playing. I think the missing signature is a nice indicator for players .. it’s a testament to how Anet regards the value players bring as well as HOW they bring it. Being helpful isn’t also a license to being rude or bullying players into a populist movement. The people that have been sanctioned aren’t the only source of this information.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

I think the missing signature is a nice indicator for players .. it’s a testament to how Anet regards the value players bring as well as HOW they bring it. Being helpful isn’t also a license to being rude or bullying players into a populist movement. The people that have been sanctioned aren’t the only source of this information.

You are too serious w/ your knowledge.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

^^ Thanks.

15 char

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

I’m looking for a pve burning build for guardians. But I dont have the first idea where to start with that.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

I got people whispering on advice for thief builds, wth o_O

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

People whisper me asking how to get their swag.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Ethics.4519

People whisper me asking how to get their swag.

One time tree! And I asked you not to tell anybody!

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

People always whisper me to bring sexy back.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Ethics.4519

People always whisper me to bring sexy back.

I’ve seen it. Some people are lost beyond recovery.

RIP in peace Robert

deSade.9437

RIP in pieces Robert.

Ethics.4519

RIP in pieces Robert.

Ugh it’s sooooo difficult to find a non warr/mes party

Wait… what are we doing?

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Wait… what are we doing?

Why do you rip Robert in peace? Hasn’t he got enough?

Ethics.4519

Wait… what are we doing?

Why do you rip Robert in peace? Hasn’t he got enough?

does not compute

RIP in peace Robert

deSade.9437

RIP in peaches Ethics.