Incentivising fractals other than swamp

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Rough idea:

1. Introduce a new currency (yeah, sorry) for each fractal. Let’s say, one token per run for each fractal.
  2. Make this currency required for crafting/buying some fancy new skin. Let’s say 100 of each token — some pretty big number.
  3. Every token can be traded on the on TP.
  4. Add some sort of time gate, because Anet.
  5. Let the economy do the rest.

Why this might work:

Very importantly, if you hate fractals, just buy the tokens off the TP. This means there will be big demand for the tokens on the TP. At equilibrium, the profit for each fractal should reflect how difficult/lengthy that fractal turns out to be. So doing two swamps would net you the same profit as doing one fractal of twice the length.

That means if you like doing swamp over and over, just continue doing it, you’re not explicitly punished for that. And if you like more diversity, you’re not missing out on gold by not doing swamp over and over. I know Anet doesn’t believe in this any more, but “play how you want.”

Also, there’s a minimal amount of tweaking that needs to be done by the devs (just decide on the number of tokens required for the skin), which is good, because look at how much effort they put in when they varied the dungeon gold rewards.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

ok so +1 ar infusion except not equippable and you want a new skin tied to it too

fractals dont need a 5th currency… or would it be 6th? or 7th? 3 relic types and +1 ar, am i missing any? can we count stabilizing matrices? or encryptions?

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: NotOverlyCheesy.9427

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

Been thinking this as well and came up with an idea that the 3 least run fractals in a day from 50-100 would be like “golden fractals” the next day. From these you’d get a gold each. If you just want to do the quick daily swamps for champ chest you’re allowed to do so but you’ll miss out on the potential 3 gold.

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

Been thinking this as well and came up with an idea that the 3 least run fractals in a day from 50-100 would be like “golden fractals” the next day. From these you’d get a gold each. If you just want to do the quick daily swamps for champ chest you’re allowed to do so but you’ll miss out on the potential 3 gold.

This is a good idea
I’d modify it a bit, but yeah great idea 10/10

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

I don’t get why the need to try and get people to do something they don’t want to do, and I can’t say I like swap, but, I mean, if you really want to fix the constant swamp runs, re-adjust fractals so that the higher you go, it does not become this huge HP slog fest.

Make it so that Instabilities, and other types of effects are what add the challenge, as opposed to to just giving the mobs more HP.

I think that would resolve the Fractals of the Swamps, quite nicely.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: NotOverlyCheesy.9427

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

I don’t get why the need to try and get people to do something they don’t want to do, and I can’t say I like swap, but, I mean, if you really want to fix the constant swamp runs, re-adjust fractals so that the higher you go, it does not become this huge HP slog fest.

Make it so that Instabilities, and other types of effects are what add the challenge, as opposed to to just giving the mobs more HP.

I think you said it yourself there. Many people don’t like to run swamp but there’s no incentive to do anything else as it’s the most rewarding. Adding rewards to the other fractals would bring in diversity.

I do agree that there should be more fractals but the core problem is still there. People will always take the path of least resistance if it’s as rewarding as the harder stuff.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Im not sure how they could introduce newer/better rewards for higher fractals, maybe anything over 80 has a higher reward chance at ascended gear or whatever.

I highly doubt that when Anet changed fractals up they thought that 77 would be the highest ran,

I do try daily to get people to do fractals other than 77, sometimes I get a group other days its a waste of time,

Snowbind has to be 1 of the worst at higher levels, the snowstorm is unforgiving, ( not to mention it gives me a wicked headache watching it ) Cliffside is a close 2nd for worst, the problem with some of them though is, they do take longer than others, but the rewards are not better,

I did a lvl 99 and 100 back to back the other day, and I didn’t get a rare between them, lvl 100 was like 3 greens, sorry there is no incentive at all to do higher levels when I can run swamp lvl 2 in 5 mins and get rares/exotics.

Sadly though from past events like this, anet don’t fix the rewards they just nerf the lower rewards into the ground so hard that no one will run them at all, id doubt this time will be any different, instead of buffing high rewards they will just nerf the lower ones,

Personally at level 80+ id like to see the +1 agony drops removed, and see upwards of +5 to +10 agony drops as potential rare rewards.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Copy the Labyrinth from Path of Exile.

Each difficulty level (Casual/Core/Veteran/Elite) has a fixed series of Fractals, randomly set each day.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

I would suggest they add a Grandmaster tier from 81-100.
Also instead of picking one fractal in the bottom two tiers, give us three random fractal levels in each tier to do for the dailies. Still lets people do them one at a time so not much time required in one sitting and brings back a little of the old system. this would also prevent people from just doing swamps.

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

Each difficulty level (Casual/Core/Veteran/Elite) has a fixed series of Fractals, randomly set each day.

One day the poe/gw2 hybrid dream will be real….

Really though, I don’t see how any of these suggestions is better than just changing the dailies to require specific scales. Simple and effective. It isn’t like people run even swamp outside the dailies anyway, since molten bros is faster.

Ok I Did It.2854

But then this restricts the players who don’t just play certain fractals, if the rewards where better for longer fractals people would run them, as it stands they don’t, because its the age old problem with this game, time vs reward.

But we shall see what Tuesdays update brings us.

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

I think you said it yourself there. Many people don’t like to run swamp but there’s no incentive to do anything else as it’s the most rewarding. Adding rewards to the other fractals would bring in diversity.

I do agree that there should be more fractals but the core problem is still there. People will always take the path of least resistance if it’s as rewarding as the harder stuff.

Well, no, it’s not simply a matter of being a blanket issue of being the most rewarding it’s more an issue of it being the most rewarding for effort spent to complete it.

Case in point, You can get more loot from 63 (Volcanic) then you can from 67 (Swamp), due to the mobs dropping loot, and the Magnificent Chest you get for the Shaman. It’s just the extra loot is not enough to make it worth putting in the extra time and effort to complete it the fractal.

What’s even worse, is fractals like Cliffside, where there is no intermittent rewards, just this one long, reward-less plod to the boss.

It takes a lot to even want to endure that.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

But the moss. The axes. The mud. The fun jump trees. The traps. The stand and wait for someone to count to 321g. And this last one is for the lazies who never run wisps and afk at the tree bark door <3

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

But then this restricts the players who don’t just play certain fractals, if the rewards where better for longer fractals people would run them, as it stands they don’t, because its the age old problem with this game, time vs reward.

The issue with the longer/shorter fractals isn’t one of rewards tho. It’s pretty much just “swamp/moltenbros are ez and everyone knows them”.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Ok I Did It.2854

The issue with the longer/shorter fractals isn’t one of rewards tho. It’s pretty much just “swamp/moltenbros are ez and everyone knows them”.

It is rewards though, that’s why you see in the LFG lvl40 farm, lets say a really experienced team can run it in 5 minutes flat, that’s 12 runs an hour, 12 x final end chest, if anet remove the end chest for extra runs, then people will not help others, ive ran the same fractal a few times a day to help guild mates/friends out.

Now take the same team and run a level 94 Cliffside, it will take them what, 30 mins to get to boss,

So 12 runs vs 2 ,

Now if Anet said, at level 80-90 you have a 25% extra chance at ascended gear/pristine relics etc, and at level 91-100 that goes up to 40% you would see people running the longer ones,

Im sure anet has been monitoring this for months now, fractals where never meant that only 1 was ran over and over, so expect a massive nerf bat to hit swamp hard on Tuesday,

Maybe at level 80+ for everyone you complete in a day you get a fractal token, when you get to 50 tokens, you can trade it in for an ascended chest.