Is agony resistance really Necessery?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: YaYa.5879

YaYa.5879

I mean in high lvl difficulty fractals what should keep you alive are skills, not some infusions.
I mean it seems lazy. You can have an unskilled guy with high AR who survives a lvl 75 fratal, but a Highly skilled player who will automatically die in a high lvl fractal because he chose a character without AR.

Oh and AR forces you to play with a limited amount of character.
I only have 2 chars with AR.
Now i know that people who played the game since day 1 and had a lot of time to kill, might have all they’re character with full ascended gear but… I was under the impression that new players could also enjoy the game after lvl 80.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I mean in high lvl difficulty fractals what should keep you alive are skills, not some infusions.
I mean it seems lazy. You can have an unskilled guy with high AR who survives a lvl 75 fratal, but a Highly skilled player who will automatically die in a high lvl fractal because he chose a character without AR.

Oh and AR forces you to play with a limited amount of character.
I only have 2 chars with AR.
Now i know that people who played the game since day 1 and had a lot of time to kill, might have all they’re character with full ascended gear but… I was under the impression that new players could also enjoy the game after lvl 80.

You’re only forced to get AR for scales 91+ and boss fractals.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

It’s nothing more than another gold sink and time gate, really. Adds little to the experience for players but the devs like to toss these in because of the economy and reasons.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Yes and no.

It’s also conflicting from the standpoint of the message they want to push out about Fractals being open to everyone.

Timegating gear / weapons and forcing a item level check (close enough comparison) does exactly the opposite of opening the gates for fractals.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

You can move your AR gear from one character to another. The only issue is if you only have one set of ascended armor or weapons that don’t fit the other class you want to play. But most of your AR is on trinkets. All the other AR slots such as amor and weapons are bought with just fractal relics.

Posted by: BloodyNine.7504

BloodyNine.7504

It’s nothing more than another gold sink and time gate, really. Adds little to the experience for players but the devs like to toss these in because of the economy and reasons.

Exactly this. This game is FULL of mechanics to make you log in every day. Rather than use the content to drive interest(don’t get me wrong, I like the game, play everyday). But there are things that don’t make any sense to me. These are things that are just made to keep you interested over a longer period of time.

I am currently working on crafting twilight. Legendary journey! Sweet. lets do this. First tier was a bunch of events for the collection. Cool, what’s next? Crafting, I need 30 deldrimor and 10 leather. But I can only make one a day. So what can I do to work on my LEGENDARY JOURNEY!?!?!?! I log in, hit a couple buttons to craft my deldrimor and then didly kitten. Artificial time increasing mechanic. They need me coming back every day!

That is why you need AR. So they could introduce something that will keep you logging in over a longer period of time.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

While skill helps, there are some AR checks that you cannot avoid.

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

Fractals were meant for people who liked this kind of “progression” and still, in the past, (because there were fewer levels) you could play them with multiple characters with relatively little gold investment if you were not aiming to run level 50.
Right now they are really alt unfriendly.
(Imo) It’s one of the countless failed moves anet made with HoT.

They thought that killing dungeons, which was the casual endgame for a lot of people, would push them into the fractals, and then ultimately into buying HoT.
Really a poorly thought idea.

It could have worked IF they had reworked completely the AR system (like making it work like MF and enabling % of it based on how many ascended pieces you’re wearing on a specific character and using a soft cap, limiting the need of a full set only for the very last levels) OR IF they improved the rewards in terms of ascended drop.

On one hand they implement things that are alt friendly, things that let you think this game is REALLY alt friendly, then they introduce some kind of grind, gold sink, currency here and there that make you wish to play a single character.
Schizophrenic, right? But maybe they think or know that this make them earn more, no idea.

They said they want revamp (un-nerfing) dungeons rewards.
They said they want to rewamp fractals rewards.
They said they don’t like the current AR system because it’s too confusing so in a very distant future we could get a totally different one.

But again they said a lot of things in the past, delivering in a very twisted way our wishes, so don’t hold your breath, play what you feel it’s worth playing or take a long break untill they decide to change the game to something that may suit you.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

(edited by Erick Alastor.3917)

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

It’s extremely alternate character friendly. You can swap your whole ascended gear which I always do. Also, it takes only a month or two time investment to do high fractals. And you even can join low level fractals.

Again, there are only complaints left and negativity. You aren’t eligible to be the chosen one and the game isn’t developed about you and your skills. There are compromises and for the n-th time: Get over it or leave it be.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

I was under the impression that new players could also enjoy the game after lvl 80.

Fractals aren’t the only content after 80, and getting enough AR for low- and mid-level fractals is easy.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Fractals aren’t the only content after 80, and getting enough AR for low- and mid-level fractals is easy.

You also don’t need AR until L20, and even then you can do fine until about L28 with 0 AR depending on your dodge skills.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Avarice.2791

Avarice.2791

It keeps new players from accessing high level fractals instantly. AR is gained through fractals. Why doesn’t this make sense? I don’t want to see some guy with a personal level of 3 coming into a 90+ fractal. There’s a fine line between daily grinds and grinding tools to make difficult content accessible.

Let’s take WoW for example. You don’t just hop straight into mythic raiding. You grind LFR and dungeons to get low level gear. You then move to normal/heroic raiding. When you are in full heroic gear you move on to mythic raiding. Guild Wars has never been about gear, so they chose another route.

AR makes perfect sense to me.

(edited by Avarice.2791)

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

it keeps clueless players from being a huge nuisance to experienced groups. sure you get the occasional newbie key turning and bearbowing, but the esoteric/expensive requirements keep the majority of disinterested autoattackers from making pugging potentially high death count content into a living nightmare. or at least it used to. hot really lowered the entry barrier, especially with swamps of the mists.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Avatar of Belle.9623

My friends and I fractal daily with 2 or more players with no or very low AR including 56-67-77.

Threnody of Belle – Necromancer and PvE Carebear (24,500 achievement points)
Maguuma
#allisvain

Ayrilana.1396

My friends and I fractal daily with 2 or more players with no or very low AR including 56-67-77.

You can get away with it on swamp for what I consider most people if you do the standing on the <insert structure> thing.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

You can get away with it on swamp for what I consider most people if you do the standing on the <insert structure> thing.

You can do it without that. Just have to have capable members who know how to dodge and reflect the thrown axe.

Ayrilana.1396

You can do it without that. Just have to have capable members who know how to dodge and reflect the thrown axe.

Which you likely will not get with pugs. I probably should have clarified that bit in the post.

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

I always considered AR as an experience based entry barrier for higher lvl fractals. New player doesn’t have AR so he will die in higher lvl fractals where he would be a problem for rest of the group anyway.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr