Is alt swapping at final dungeon boss common?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

This happened last night in a dungeon I ran with some guildies. Being new to dungeons, I didn’t like the idea, so I kicked him. He switched from his warrior (60) to engineer (36) when boss was at half health. Has anyone ever came across this? What’s the community view on this?

Posted by: Razeor.6271

Razeor.6271

“Being new to dungeons, I didn’t like the idea, so I kicked him.”.

Awesome.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

quite common, very annoying. The main question is what is Anet’s view on this.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Awesome.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

It happens to me sometimes at CoF p1, but I don’t mind, it helps them leveling their alts, and I like helping people.

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

people who plan to swap:
- tell party you’re swapping AFTER boss fight
- someone watches cutscene at end to have ample time (usually dungeon starter)
- everyone is happy, no big deal, no drama

he swaps a little before boss dies, not a big deal. should be fine

Posted by: Odin.1354

Odin.1354

It would be anoying if that would result in you losing the fight, although it shouldn’t depend on one player to finish a boss fight. And ofcourse you did the best possible thing, just kick him! :P Your group, your call

In general I don’t mind people doing this…as long as they tell me before we start the dungeon.

-Gunnar’s Hold-

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Awesome.

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

I think if he would of mentioned at the start, I wouldn’t of had a problem with it. Just midway through the fight, him just walking into the dungeon just to sit at the front waiting for us to kill it for him, didn’t sit too well with me.

Good to hear everyone’s thought on this, thank you all!

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

It’s pretty common. Sure, he should have communicated he was going to do so in a pug. But kicking is too harsh. Basically, you should almost never kick at the last boss, not cool.

What you should be saying is “Being new to dungeons, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, let him stay and came here to check with you guys for future reference.”

(edited by laharl.8435)

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Lolwut? So, this guy went through an entire dungeon with you, and at the end of the entire endeavor, you just decide to kick him for swapping to an alt?

That’s just precious. Wow… I don’t think I’ve ever seen this kind of Xenophobia in my life.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Other players are put in a very awkward spot in these situations.

Some may view switching to an ALT at the last minute just so that ALT can get a reward that it isn’t entitled to (the toon isn’t entitled, but yes the player is) as a form of exploiting.

Now, if this is the way some view it then it is well within their right to kick someone who does this. If a player does not want to run with people who use exploits (or what he/she considers an exploit) then they are in their rights and probably better off kicking.

If you are going to attempt this, say so upfront. That way, the party is not surprised at the last minute and if they choose not to run the dungeon with you because of it, so be it and not much lost. If you wait until the last minute to do this, you may receive a reaction that you don’t like.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

It is the most fun when that person who wants to switch doesn’t tell you and you find out quickly they were the leader. Then your group disbands and you lose the final chest.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

I do it when leveling alts, but then again I only run in guild groups and pretty much everyone does it for alts.

We mainly use CoE for it.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

One time pugging on SE Path 3 I swapped off my guardian when the destroyer was under 10% and I came back to a wiped team. I told them I was gonna do it beforehand, too. I wish someone had video, I would have loved to see what actually happened.

But yeah the big thing is to just ask when the dungeon starts and make sure everyone’s ok with it. I only mind on CoF runs since I’m trying to squeeze seconds out of every fight.

Retired. Too many casuals.

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

ITT: people who think swapping to alts in a dungeon is an exploit and kick people for doing so…

By the way, there’s a name for that: it’s called griefing.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: Llyren.3904

Llyren.3904

I have seen this one time in the last 20 or so dungeon runs. These runs where all formed on that lfg site though, and where no special descriptor other then dungeon-story or explorable and if explore which path.

Posted by: Kasper.9570

Kasper.9570

so a guy helps you get to the final boss and down to half health and you kick him from the group?

thats 10 times worse then him switching to an alt. the only thing that he should of done was inform you that he was going to do so.

ive never had a problem with others doing it, and ive yet to fail on a final boss because of someone switching to a alt.

if you do, you should stop playing.

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

Being new to dungeons, I didn’t like the idea, so I kicked him.

logged just to report

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

logged just to report

even more awesome.

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

logged just to report

even more awesome.

k

Posted by: Articluna.4509

Articluna.4509

Done it some 90-120 times while I was leveling my set of 8×80 but only with guildies, and always told about it beforehand. I usually ask from ppl if they want to swap for alts for exp if I know they’re middle of leveling progess of new toon.

Common courtesy is wait to 15-25% of boss health and swap to alt that was waiting front of dungeon so your party doesn’t have to wait extra time. Never be party leader if you swap, “never” swap 4 characters in same fight. xD

OooOOoohh, box of shinies. So many shinies!
Outsource rng → profit.

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

I wouldn’t kick someone for that.
I did the oppossite once. Got together a leveling crew to do AC and we had difficulty at one part so I brought my elementalist with frost bow to beat that part. Afterwards I just went back to my lower lvl character.

Posted by: Dresden.1736

Dresden.1736

No one at Lv60 should ever be swapping to an alt. You were very right in booting his dumb kitten .

If the person played on an 80 throughout the dungeon and contributed more than their fair share, then I’m 100% okay with them swapping as long as they do it right. I prefer to level my alts through swapping as opposed to dumping 150g into crafting, and I’m happy to oblige other people who want to as long as they aren’t baggage.

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

No one at Lv60 should ever be swapping to an alt. You were very right in booting his dumb kitten .

If the person played on an 80 throughout the dungeon and contributed more than their fair share, then I’m 100% okay with them swapping as long as they do it right. I prefer to level my alts through swapping as opposed to dumping 150g into crafting, and I’m happy to oblige other people who want to as long as they aren’t baggage.

I agree with this. If someone is contributing, let them swap. I have probably done it over a hundred times by now to level alts, but i always informed my groups when i would do that. Though most times the group consisted of mostly people i knew. Sometimes, in terrible groups/Pugs, they would wipe without me so i would just stick to the end with my lv80 even though i mostly only do dungeons to level alts or help buddies.

@OP: Needless to say, i would never tolerate you in my groups ever after such an act.

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Awesome.

Lol, love it.

Switcher should ask party first, and make sure it’s not the dungeon leader (person who enters). This has happened to my group WAY too many times, just pure idiocy.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

If the person is in full rare gear (or even exotic) up to his/her level, using food, sigils, and runes, then in no way should you consider this person not contributing. Especially if they play well, I’d rather have that than a new 80 who is stuck in blues not understand their class.

Having said that, that is very rarely the case, and why wouldn’t the person want xp on their non-level 80?

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

if u kick like that u can get reported for grieving… i think… he did contribute to a run…

Posted by: Elm.8169

Elm.8169

I thought you were being unnecessarily rough from the OP, but, after reading your follow-up, I think you were more or less justified. All the times someone wanted to swap to an alt in my dungeons, they would first ask about it, and we would figure out a good time to do it. I think it would make my blood boil to see someone switching to an alt in middle of a boss fight without saying anything and just sitting at the entrance.

Asking before switching also keeps it more organized – people who are currently doing it will know what to expect. At the least, it would prevent multiple players from switching to their alt and messing up the dungeon run in the process.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

It is something I used to do, and allow my friends to do.

As for PUGs, if they let us know I’m fine with it. If they don’t tell us and log when the boss is still up, we conjure a swift kick.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

logged just to report

even more awesome.

I too, do not like new and scary things.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: Phoenix.7845

Phoenix.7845

If someone wants to switch at last boss he should ask before the run. And even after that he should see how the party performs, because there are some parties that will wipe if even one person switches. I had a situation once where at last boss two people switched simultaneously without any warning and they were surprised that after loading on an alt they had no party