Is ascended gear necessary for raid?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: MrTree.4890

MrTree.4890

Q:

Hi,

I have a zerg guard at the moment since i loved dungeons and it was good reward :p
But if i need to change stats for raiding (Do i need to or wil zerg work to?).
Wil exotic gear be sufficient since farming new ascened wil take time

Thx in advance

Posted by: Yobculture.5786

Yobculture.5786

It’s pretty important given the Enrage timer.

It’s more important to have knowledge of boss mechanics and try to maintain maximum DPS uptime while staying alive however, and using food/sharpstones(etc). Good luck getting into a lot of pug raids without Ascended though

Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Is it technically necessary? I don’t think anyone can say for sure.

However, as difficult as the content is, you’ll want any advantage you can get.

That being said, you’ll probably lose more dps from practical reasons like messing up on your dps rotation because you were looking for that red circle or taking too long to get back to the boss after you ran away for some reason.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you’re human, you’ll probably see more benefit to raid success by spending 30 min researching the hell out of how to play well in a raid than you will spending hours crafting and grinding to get a full ascended set.

I would recommend getting the easy ascended pieces you can at least though, such as trinkets from laurels/commendations and if you only craft 1-2 pieces, craft weapons since the stat boost on those is better than what you get from armor.

P.s. I think you mean “zerk” instead of “zerg”, but that’s an awesome typo. And yes, zerk is still ideal unless you take on a tank role, in which case you just need to have more toughness than anyone else in your raid. That may be a few trinkets or a whole defensive set, depending on who’s in your group.

Posted by: Warscythes.9307

Warscythes.9307

You should have ascended accessories and weapon, armor doesn’t really matter.

Vale guardian is doable in exotics, Gorsveal’s requirement is much higher.

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

You should have ascended accessories and weapon, armor doesn’t really matter.

Vale guardian is doable in exotics, Gorsveal’s requirement is much higher.

Good answer

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Posted by: Cletus Van Damme.2795

Cletus Van Damme.2795

Extremely important.

Magumer Ranger

Posted by: Alteraphim.4629

Alteraphim.4629

It is not necessary, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. It does help, a full set of ascended gives you about a 12.5% dmg increase if you put in all the infusions you need, but you will be able to complete the raid without it. https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/31wbip/ascended_vs_exotic_gear_comparison_spreedsheet

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

If you’re not making use of the infusion slots on them, ascended berserker armour is less than 1.5% lower in damage when compared to ascended berserker armour given 0 might, fury, a revenant and a banner of discipline, additional buffs will shrink the gap further. If you have ascended weapons and trinkets, less damage oriented stat sets have less of a damage gap, but more of a durability gap.

If you feel that the 1-1.5% is worth it, go for it, but you probably don’t strictly need ascended armour. Weapons, you need them, the base damage alone is a 5% damage gain over exotics even before the stats, and trinkets just have a much higher stat difference between the two rarities.

(edited by Eponet.4829)

Posted by: aelfwe.4239

aelfwe.4239

It is not necessary, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. It does help, a full set of ascended gives you about a 12.5% dmg increase if you put in all the infusions you need, but you will be able to complete the raid without it. https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/31wbip/ascended_vs_exotic_gear_comparison_spreedsheet

What you say it’s true, but it’s anyway an huge advantage.

12,5% more dmg means that a “full ascended raid” will take 12.5% less time to take down a boss compared to an ipotetic “full exotic raid” with the same players,the same classes, the same builds (just exotics geared rather than ascendend geared).

Since raid’s bosses are fights with strickly enrage time the difference could be crucial.

If we take for example Vale Guardian Fight, it’s an 8 mins enraged fight.

8 min are 480 sec, 12,5% x 480sec are 60s, aka on ideal situation the same raid with full ascenden gear will take 1 less minute to defeat the boss compared to the exotic raid.

Now this is an ideal situation, cause during fight you have some downtime (boss immunity between phases, people moving for green circle and so on.

So we can suppose the realistic fight time difference between a full asc raid compared to exotic raid it’s just around 30s-40s (6%-7%) rather than the 12,5% from stat.

Point is that those more 30s-40s allow the asc raid to have some more downed or small mistake and kill anyway the vale guard while an ipotetic exotic raid need to be perfect.

So is ascended gear necessary for raid?

Imao NOPE.

If the majority of the raid is ascendend 1 or 2 exotic geared guys wont make any difference, but if the majority of the raid is exotic geared then yeah, ascendend gear becomes really really important

Aelfwe Dark Asura Mesmer\Thief,
FREE PYRO

(edited by aelfwe.4239)

Posted by: roelvanesch.2817

roelvanesch.2817

Also, I think the class/role does matter. Look at chronomancer for instance. The amount of alacrity a chrono dishes out will be the same regardless of his gear. It matters most for classes that mainly offer high dps (like coni Engi).

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

It’s not strictly necessary in the sense that you won’t have enough numbers to complete the raid, but you probably want ascended.

Imagine doing Arah naked. Is it possible? Sure. Is it doable for people that have an OK to decent grasp on the mechanics? Probably. Does having fully geared characters make it easier? Definitely.