Is theif really that bad DPS in raids?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Ryudnard.2587

Ryudnard.2587

I get insta kicked many times when trying to join a group as a DPS theif. They ask me to change the class.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

No. Thief is fine, both condi and power are fine.

Maybe they ask you to change class because of personal preferences or ignorance, either way it’s their group so w/e.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

The only reason I could understand for kicking a thief (or any class) for a DPS spot is if you need a certain amount of utility to be filled like having someone to clear orbs on gorse. I was going to say xera shard clear, but thieves can 2 shot the shards with vault. Thief DPS is also easier to accomplish than some other classes because you could just auto attack and have good numbers.

I guess if you were trying to get into a cairn group I can also understand a kick because if you get agony then thief damage goes to near nothing.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

thief is perfectly fine

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Maybe they ask you to change class because of personal preferences or ignorance, either way it’s their group so w/e.

Agreed.

Some people get some fixed ideas about what is needed to succeed in raids. Other players realize it’s more about understanding the mechanics and are more flexible.

Although, to be fair: leading a random group in raids is uniquely frustrating. I have sympathy for those looking to simplify their herding-of-cats and increase their likelihood of success, even if they sometimes misunderstand how best to go about it, e.g. like kicking profs that have competitive DPS.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

It depends on the specifics. As already pointed out in this thread, thief ranged dps is pretty bad. For example if your joining a deimos group that uses safe strat (zerg stands in center, one person kites black stuff), thief would struggle.

But for say vg, thief is fine.

zealex.9410

Agreed.

Some people get some fixed ideas about what is needed to succeed in raids. Other players realize it’s more about understanding the mechanics and are more flexible.

Although, to be fair: leading a random group in raids is uniquely frustrating. I have sympathy for those looking to simplify their herding-of-cats and increase their likelihood of success, even if they sometimes misunderstand how best to go about it, e.g. like kicking profs that have competitive DPS.

its also a case of “bring the class, not the player”

zealex.9410

It depends on the specifics. As already pointed out in this thread, thief ranged dps is pretty bad. For example if your joining a deimos group that uses safe strat (zerg stands in center, one person kites black stuff), thief would struggle.

But for say vg, thief is fine.

Never really understood that tactic just have the blob on boss and whenever the orange aoe for black pops up move the boss away from it. Also iirc the person kiting the black is the closest to the tank so thief as melee would still work i suppose while the rest melee.

(edited by zealex.9410)

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Thief is fine, op must be doing something else wrong. more description required.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

there are some bosses where they prefer ele(tempest) over other DPS.
These mainly include Gorseval and Matthias for clearing of fields, and Slothasor for the non-fear trait that Sloth casts after waking up

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

OP is being vague about the circumstances, did they actually ask for a DPS class? What boss/wing was this? Was this before the last “balance” update which effectively put most classes on a similar footing?

I don’t see any reason why a group would ever have kicked a thief in the last 6 months unless for the specific bosses mentioned above unless of course they hadn’t asked for a DPS class.

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

Never really understood that tactic just have the blob on boss and whenever the orange aoe for black pops up move the boss away from it. Also iirc the person kiting the black is the closest to the tank so thief as melee would still work i suppose while the rest melee.

In my opinion there are only 4 things that wipe a demos group once your through the pre-event.
1.) Someone expanding the black goo
2.) Someone standing in between the 4 Saul’s after they split and tanking all 4
3.) The green circle being given to any of the 3 important roles: tank, kitteniter, hands kiter
4.) A tear ruining your blocks for bubble attack

My group uses the safe strat. Its nice because it gives reliability and repeatability (our druid and tank have a specific pattern they make with the black goo). Its also nice because if someone from your group is missing (outside the big 3 roles + backup), you can pick up a pug and they pretty much can’t screw it up. Pretty sure we one shotted it this week. Reliable is nice.

Posted by: Zlater.6789

Zlater.6789

Even in gors you can clear orbs as a thief, you just have to do them when they show up. Not before your group is about to wipe from orbs.

Posted by: Draco.9480

Draco.9480

people are just delusional elitists…..