Is there someone who enjoys CoE?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: codpin.6542

codpin.6542

I mean, how can you farm it, when you have to fight the SAME boss NINE times?

How is that creative? How is that fun? In any other dungeon, you have different bosses in different paths. Not in CoE. Almost half the dungeon is the same on every path, plus you have the Alpha you need to fight 9 times. kitten

And from a lore perspective, you fight in an inquest base. Those suckers are inventors and scientists. They could invent anything. Even if u would fight a robot elephant it wouldn’t be out if place, because thats what they do… experiment and invent. Hell, you could fight a giant snail with legs or any other stupid thing. Why the same boss 9 times?

And its a dam pity, because on path 3, that cannon fight its really nice. Its something different from all the other simple mechanics.

I’m actually happy I dont like any armor or weapon from this dungeon, because farming this would be impossible for me.

Faith of Astora - Guardian | Faith Mess - Mesmer | Faith War - Warrior
Member of ASq Guild – Gandara [EU]

(edited by codpin.6542)

Posted by: wookalar.8952

wookalar.8952

Alpha has different attacks depending on the path. I enjoy P2 and P3 because you actually have to pay attention. It’s also interesting to find out different ways of surviving rather than dodging. Mesmers #2 w/ sword is nice since you negate the super aoe and still damage boss.

Nanuuk (80 Mes), Guardian Nuuk (80 Guard),
Warrior Nuuk (80 War)
[ALS], Anvil Rock

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

To answer your question, I do!

Alpha is one of the more challenging bosses in the game. One of the most enjoyable too, because make one mistake and you’re dead. People say constantly dodging is boring. To me though, nailing the dodge every. Single. Time. Is exhilarating in its own way.

Of course that’s just me. I’d run CoE a ton more if more people ran it…

codpin.6542

I’m not saying its easy or hard. That aoe its very easy to dodge, unless your in a crystal and your team doesn’t start to dps that. But to fight him 3 times per path is more than boring.

And to say he has different attacks in every path… pfff give me a break. It all goes down to that big aoe. The other attack doesnt even count.

But then again, i guess some of you would preffer to fight the spider from AC 3 times per path, plus the other bosses from that path. That would be cool, right? Or the worm from TA, or any other boring boss from a dungeon. See where im going?

(edited by codpin.6542)

Ursan.7846

I’m not saying its easy or hard. That aoe its very easy to dodge, unless your in a crystal and your team doesn’t start to dps that. But to fight him 3 times per path is more than boring.

And to say he has different attacks in every path… pfff give me a break. It all goes down to that big aoe. The other attack doesnt even count.

But then again, i guess some of you would preffer to fight the spider from AC 3 times per path, plus the other bosses from that path. That would be cool, right? Or the worm from TA, or any other boring boss from a dungeon. See where im going?

No, I’m not sure where you’re going. As I said previously in my post, it is my personal opinion that I enjoy CoE, and Alpha in particular. You asked a question, I answered it.

Just as an addendum though, Spider is not fun. Kholer is though. The bosses which down you when you make one mistake are my favorites. Yea, it’s easy. But executing it every single time is something I find very challenging.

But again, this is all my personal opinion.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

CoE is actually one of my favorite dungeons. I love all the different puzzles and Subject Alpha is easy once you learn him. I tend to enjoy fighting Evolved Destoyer too when I have a coordinated group.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

This question would be more appropriate if it was about CoF or AC. CoE is one of the better done dungeons. Subject Alpha makes you actually have to do things unlike most bosses where I can just stand and dps.

Posted by: DancingPenguins.9875

DancingPenguins.9875

Alpha is one of the better bosses in one of the better tuned dungeon in the game.

The trick to taking on alpha is to learn the value of walking. The circles appear early enough that you can walk from the center to their outer edge before you take any damage. New players tend to panic and use their dodge then freeze when they run out of endurance. Just calm down and walk out of the circles.

A side note, an Essence of Alpha escapes death, so that means he’ll hopefully turn up elsewhere in the future. Maybe stronger!

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

Alpha is def 1 of the best bosses, could use an hp reduction, it feels it takes a bit too long at the end even with TW and high dps. Other than Evolved destroyer CoE is my fave dungeon overall.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

I rather fight Alpha than the tree in TA.

And CoE is kind of fun. Or at least it’s not annoying.

Posted by: Ashur Etil Lani.4518

Ashur Etil Lani.4518

Alpha is one of the more challenging bosses in the game. One of the most enjoyable too, because make one mistake and you’re dead. People say constantly dodging is boring. To me though, nailing the dodge every. Single. Time. Is exhilarating in its own way.

I love path 2 CoE, if its with 4 heavies and 1 squishie. Why because the heavies don’t need to dodge. The squishie does his/her ballerina thing and dodges the icespikes, the heavies keep each other alive by shout healing and stack on each other. Down goes alpha. No dodging needed. And as an added bonus you feel like a real warrior not some kind of acrobat/dancing girl.

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

I love path 2 CoE, if its with 4 heavies and 1 squishie. Why because the heavies don’t need to dodge. The squishie does his/her ballerina thing and dodges the icespikes, the heavies keep each other alive by shout healing and stack on each other. Down goes alpha. No dodging needed. And as an added bonus you feel like a real warrior not some kind of acrobat/dancing girl.

Does that mean you’re some kind of acrobat/dancing girl whenever you do have to dodge?

As for the main topic. I used to hate CoE because it took so long and people kept dying. Now that people know the fights a little better, it’s easier to steamroll through it.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Posted by: Cinaed.2649

Cinaed.2649

I mean, how can you farm it, when you have to fight the SAME boss NINE times?

How is that creative? How is that fun? In any other dungeon, you have different bosses in different paths. Not in CoE. Almost half the dungeon is the same on every path, plus you have the Alpha you need to fight 9 times. kitten

And from a lore perspective, you fight in an inquest base. Those suckers are inventors and scientists. They could invent anything. Even if u would fight a robot elephant it wouldn’t be out if place, because thats what they do… experiment and invent. Hell, you could fight a giant snail with legs or any other stupid thing. Why the same boss 9 times?

And its a dam pity, because on path 3, that cannon fight its really nice. Its something different from all the other simple mechanics.

I’m actually happy I dont like any armor or weapon from this dungeon, because farming this would be impossible for me.

I love CoE, and you lost me at “how can you farm it”.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I did it a few times. It’s horrible.

As a measure of the general consensus on this dungeon, check out the price of Charged Lodestones.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

From my fuzzy memories I always felt like he had too much HP.

Then again that can be said about many dungeons mobs in GW2.

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

Yea it’s awesome, we have guild runs everyday.

Pretty much the only dungeons I do right now are CoF, CoE, Arah, and fractals.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

Posted by: Irakaz.8964

Irakaz.8964

I love CoE. My Warrior has a full set and I like completing it on both my mains (other is a Mesmer). I actually got my full set when Bjarl was still bugged and most groups only ran path 2&3. I even ran path 1 anyway just for fun.

Posted by: wookalar.8952

wookalar.8952

I did it a few times. It’s horrible.

As a measure of the general consensus on this dungeon, check out the price of Charged Lodestones.

Have you seen how many cool and very expensive exotics need gift of lightning or gift of light plus even more charged lodes? Mjolnir (Ele’s lightning hammer) needs 350 Charged. Foefire weapons, the phantasm lookin weapons, guardian spirit weapons, etc all need charged lodes and at least 100. Compare this to destroyer weapons, they only need 20 lodes. The demand for charged is very high, thus the price is as well.

Nanuuk (80 Mes), Guardian Nuuk (80 Guard),
Warrior Nuuk (80 War)
[ALS], Anvil Rock

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

Not a fan of the final encounter when the whole floor turns red and you’re out of endurance. 0.o

GW2 dungeon boss mechanics seem to revolve around high HPs and turning the whole floor red.

Reasonable enough dungeon i suppose… forget which path i did, 1st or 2nd? We did it with 4 ppl.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

I like everything about CoE except the Destroyer, okay idea, second worst execution, right behind Zhaitahn.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: Erasmus.1624

Erasmus.1624

It’s fun, and easy. Just dodge the red circles.

codpin.6542

Ok, its clearly people misunderstood my point. All of you give tips about dodging the red circles and that its an easy boss. I haven’t said its a hard boss or i can’t dodge. The only time i have been downed by this boss was on the first encounter, when i didnt had a clue of what this boss does.

My point was that this is the single dungeon that its designed to fight the same boss 3 times per path, for a total of 9 times if you want to do all 3 paths at once. This along with the high HP pool he has is my problem with this dungeon. Its not even a challenge. You simply have to fight this thing for 5-10 min x 3 per path.

You guys said that the destroyer fight sucks. That was the only thing i enjoyed from all this dungeon. Its not that hard, but its a change of pace. Making 3 people coordinate and not able to fight 100% and only rely on 2 people to kill the boss its something new and fun, for me at least.

RedStar.4218

You don’t have to rely on only 2 players to kill it, unless you want to spend more time in CoE.

Now Alpha isn’t too bad. You don’t have to take away all of its life during the first two encounters and its health isn’t as high as some other bosses like the Searing Effigy.

Conner.4702

People didn’t misunderstand your point they are flat out disagreeing with you.

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

I agree with OP.

Do not get me wrong, Alpha is a cool boss and all, its just that having to fight him no matter which path with 2 of his 3 attacks switched around depending on the path you take only says one thing: Lazy game design.

Why not make a different boss depending on the path? Alpha, Beta, Charlie, Omega, Gamma. Not even hard to come up with a name. Again, smells like Ant took the lazy way out.

codpin.6542

How can you agree or disagree a question? I’ll let you think on that… its ok, take your time.

When i started this thread, i wanted to know others people opinion on this particular dungeon, with this particular design. If the enjoy it or not. And if they enjoy it, why? But most of you jumped to the conclusion that i dont like the dungeon because its hard and i can’t dodge. Seems a bit off to me.

(edited by codpin.6542)

Ursan.7846

How can you agree or disagree a question? I’ll let you think on that… its ok, take your time.

Um, I think you should think a bit more.

You took an obvious position on your question (CoE is boring) and people are disagreeing with this (well, actually we kinda find CoE fun!).

(edited by Ursan.7846)

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

Um, I think you should think a bit more.

You took an obvious position on your question (CoE is boring) and people are disagreeing with this (well, actually we kinda find CoE fun!).

I think the OPs position has more to with game design choices then anything. Alpha appears no matter the path to the point where it becomes repetitive (even on your first try of a path if you have done a different path). The same goes with the other bosses he mentions (TA worm, AC spiders, some other examples: Nightmare tree, Lupi). You have to fight them no matter what you do. Its nothing new, just repetitive. He isn’t saying Alpha as a boss is not interesting, its just the way he is presented.

I think the OP was asking people: Would rather have to fight a bunch of different bosses on each path or fight the same boss no matter which path you choose?

For him, he would rather see something new and creative each path he took (I don’t blame him).

Conner.4702

When i started this thread, i wanted to know others people opinion on this particular dungeon, with this particular design. If the enjoy it or not. And if they enjoy it, why? But most of you jumped to the conclusion that i dont like the dungeon because its hard and i can’t dodge. Seems a bit off to me.

If you want to ask a question than ask, but never ever give your answer beforehand. You are at fault for the derailment of your own thread due to being extremely unclear as to what you want.

I’ll let you think on that… its ok, take your time.

Posted by: fony.5102

fony.5102

fort aspenwood seems to enjoy it as a whole.

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

I do.

-Alpha is actually challenging and this makes him fun, somehow, after farming it enough to have as many tokens as I do Alpha fights are still enjoyable
-The defence events are pretty fun because you have to use some kind of strategy
-The robots in CoE all attack in different ways which kind of gives variety to fight. It’s not quite arah level trash mobs in terms of enjoyment to fight, but it’s good
-The evolved destroyer is a cool concept executed poorly – but with a good group you can kill him in 3 shield downs
-The evolved husk is an awesome boss
-The place looks amazing, reminds me of Two Betrayals/AOTCR from Halo: CE (The only good halo, mind).

I’ve done it probably every day bar a few here and there for 2 months, and I still find it reasonably fun to do (otherwise I’d stop). There are some things that make me groan every time though:

-That golem before the defence events. kitten that golem, it’s borderline afk autoattack
-Bjarl the Rampager: a boss straight out of HotW in terms of doing no damage but being a damage sponge, even looks the part, sometimes charges at spire or ranger pets or something
-The destroyer crab boss: why is it there? we skip it every time.
-The wolves at the start: holy kitten they do a lot of damage. I’ve learned to counter/skip where I can, but holy kitten. They tickle.
-The Evolved Destroyer with pugs
-Spire whinging about buttons

Honestly this is the only dungeon I can be bothered doing repeated runs of, it has replayability in that the bosses are actually challenging. I can’t really be bothered going on AC runs anymore, it’s so kitten robotic and easy.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Posted by: Power.2957

Power.2957

I love CoE, it’s my favorite dungeon.

“Power is like the illuminati of Guild Wars.” -Loshon

Posted by: Krag.6210

Krag.6210

Fun bosses and mechanics even though Destroyer needs some tweaking, laser part is a breath of fresh air.
My only gripe is that the first 10-15 mins are exactly the same no matter the path.
Favorite dungeons after Arah.

Posted by: Engels.8537

Engels.8537

My fav dungeon so far! Maybe it’ll change when I get to do Arah.

I’ve done it everyday for a lot of time, and I stil enjoy it. PuGs every time and just a few bad experiences and /blocks.

It’s just fun to me! I like the design, and I have a thing for Alpha. Even now that a lot of people are experienced at it, I enjoy picking downed players up with my ranger ^.^

CoE to me is: fun dungeon + beautifull weapon skins + charged cores <3

Don’t talk to me about toughness and vitality, damage avoidance is all in this game

Posted by: sevtrisen.5247

sevtrisen.5247

I enjoy Laser hopscotch more than anything else.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i did just one coe path 3 times….(i seems to find parties only for that).

The path where you face that Alpha boss that spams slow aoes that can be evaded 100% with margin second time you see them >.<

Dunno if other paths are more difficult.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: DancingPenguins.9875

DancingPenguins.9875

i did just one coe path 3 times….(i seems to find parties only for that).

The path where you face that Alpha boss that spams slow aoes that can be evaded 100% with margin second time you see them >.<

Dunno if other paths are more difficult.

Alpha boss comes out 3 times on each. This is the part that stumps pugs for some reason.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

its the path with lasers
Actually of his 2 aoes

1 can be walked out like ele skill dragon s tooth
1 you have time to think where to evade, take a coffee and safley roll out to evade it completely.

In fact i wonder if on other paths is harder….really those aoe are slow….
How can people play TA and have problems here?

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

RedStar.4218

Every path has laser. The difference between the paths (aside from Alpha) is the boss before alpha : a destroyer, an icebrood or a tree.

Posted by: Czinczar.3786

Czinczar.3786

I like CoE, and I like Alpha, it has that “resident evil” feel, like nemesis, a monster that you keep killing but that never dies. I often do CoE and I often lure players to path 3. I would love it if Alpha had different transformations with a cutscene to show that.

Posted by: Ouroboros.5076

Ouroboros.5076

Every path has laser. The difference between the paths (aside from Alpha) is the boss before alpha : a destroyer, an icebrood or a tree.

A bit more than that actually. Everything up to the golem with the 4 turrets is the same on all path.

P1 you have the security golems, alpha with optional mobs, the norn, and alpha again.
P2 you have to defend the cannon, mobs, kill alpha, mobs, kill the plant boss, and alpha again.
P3 it is the same as P2 up to the first alpha encounter, then it’s other mobs with the infamous crab, the destroyer boss, and then alpha.

Ho and I love CoE. With all the various mechanics in this dungeon, it is actually very enjoyable (team coordination, jumping, environmental weapons, …)

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

CoE is my favourite dungeon to be honest, path 2 specifically. Subject Alpha is so fun to fight on Melee Mesmer

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds