Isn't toughness supposed to add threat

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: zoran.4826

zoran.4826

Total lies in 30+ fractals I notice on my ele my repair bills are rediculous. I also notice if I’m on my back or dead the boss health stays the same with my remaining 4 group members bating on him. They notice Rez me and we kill. Meanwhile the whole fight he is glued to me. I’m not full zerk but I keep crit damage on every slot and sub in vit instead of crit.

My point Is I ask my group and they are all pvt. So that explains a lot to me. Is the current trend to blow kisses at these bosses until they die.

Also explains why it’s tough to to a full 30+ daily in under an hour. When did it become common practice to sub in tough and vit for player skill.

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

In my experience this is about the priority list for mob aggro:
1. proximity
2. dps
3. tou
4. everything else

With proximity being first and then a long time nothing… after that tou, vit and dps are about the same with dps immo counting slightly more towards gaining aggro.

If you want to get mob to not attack you anymore, most of the time getting to max range while kiting mob through your group will do the trick. Some mobs are just weird and they stick to one the whole fight… mossman used to do that a lot.

And no, its not common practice, you just had bad luck. Im running lvl28/38/48 about once every other day and most of the time Im cursing zerker geared warriors/eles dieing all the time. Not saying they wouldnt die less with pvt… just saying it’s the risk we take finding groups via gw2lfg and not guild.

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

“1. closest target to them
2. who is dealing damage
3. top damage dealers
4. who is using a shield / has more toughness and overall armor
5. others (see Tanking tactics below)”

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aggro

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

From my experience, different enemies have different aggro priorities. Some prioritize players with low HP. Some with high toughness. Some with DPS. Some with low HP and Low toughness.

Seems like you drew the short stick on the agro scale.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Some people like to run with so-called anchors who are supposed to draw aggro more efficient but from my observations and experience it works very seldom and randomly.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

First give each player in the group a number, 1 to 5. Then do the following extremely complicated algorithm to calculate boss aggro:

Aggro = Random(5).

That is it.

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Uhm, anchor doesnt mean full pvt set btw. It means getting above a certain amount of toughness to make sure you have quite a bit more than zerker geared players and still doing good dmg.

Most anchor builds use knight-armor, zerker weapons and trinkets. Or – if you only play with guild group – only 3 pieces knight, everything else zerker.

And yes, it works It just doesnt work very well with pvt geared players in a group or with certain mobs that imo dont work properly.

haviz.1340

And yes, it works It just doesnt work very well with pvt geared players in a group or with certain mobs that imo dont work properly.

I run with full zerker group and I tested anchoring. During the run, mossman preferred one of the warrior, ettin another one and archdiviner preffered thief. With standard anchor build 0/0/30/30/10 you won’t do enough damage to draw aggro. Not to mention that mobs have different priorities and assuming that just high toughness values would be enough to lean it in favour of anchor is at least naive thinking.

Posted by: Quam.7218

Quam.7218

First give each player in the group a number, 1 to 5. Then do the following extremely complicated algorithm to calculate boss aggro:

Aggro = Random(5).

That is it.

Tell that to Lupicus focusing one preson so hard until it dies.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Aggro = Random(5).

That is it.

That’s whats called lucky RNG.

I think.

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

@OP: play a condi necro on fractals 30+ with full rabid set (ascended is even better) in a berserker group. You’ll see what aggro is. For an optimal experience, play the mossman or the shaman. You can switch “berserker group” by “pug group” for even better result.

Spoilers: the result of this experience is putting your necro in the fridge.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

(edited by Fror.2163)

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

From my experience, different enemies have different aggro priorities. Some prioritize players with low HP. Some with high toughness. Some with DPS. Some with low HP and Low toughness.

Seems like you drew the short stick on the agro scale.

Keep in mind that May Tai for example (in Aetherblade Retreat), prioritizes players that are far away, and players that are reviving team mates.

Aggro priorities can indeed differ among various enemies.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Even 4 people with PTV gear will out DPS one person with zerk gear. Don’t be that much of an elitist.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

You need a good balance between PVT and zerker. I am not running full zerker but my attack is still over 3100 and I crit 55% at crit damage 80% without any buffs. Using full pvt gear with zerker jewels and all items lean towards zerker. I survive fractal 48 and still do a considerable amount of damage. As long as your defense is around 1400 all is good.
My build is 20/30/0/0/30. Duel axe/GS.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

I run with full zerker group and I tested anchoring. During the run, mossman preferred one of the warrior, ettin another one and archdiviner preffered thief. With standard anchor build 0/0/30/30/10 you won’t do enough damage to draw aggro. Not to mention that mobs have different priorities and assuming that just high toughness values would be enough to lean it in favour of anchor is at least naive thinking.

That’s a tank / bunker build. You want to instead get a tanky build:
http://kichwas.wordpress.com/build-theory-how-to-be-tanky-but-not-a-tank-in-guild-wars-2/

- which comes down to a combination of various elements.

Being ‘closest’ or ‘first’ or ‘top DPS’ is unreliable and others can pull off of you just as easily if you went ‘bunker’. The key is doing many different things at the same time.

Also note that too much vitality can impair your ability to generate threat… Knights is better than Soldiers if you want to be tanky – but then takes other active play skills to survive condition damage. This is why guardians have it easy making tanky builds: low health and high armor – two items on the list built in for them. Though if they then go bunker, they lose that “advantage.”

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

(edited by Kichwas.7152)

haviz.1340

That’s a tank / bunker build. You want to instead get a tanky build:
http://kichwas.wordpress.com/build-theory-how-to-be-tanky-but-not-a-tank-in-guild-wars-2/

- which comes down to a combination of various elements.

Being ‘closest’ or ‘first’ or ‘top DPS’ is unreliable and others can pull off of you just as easily if you went ‘bunker’. The key is doing many different things at the same time.

Also note that too much vitality can impair your ability to generate threat… Knights is better than Soldiers if you want to be tanky – but then takes other active play skills to survive condition damage. This is why guardians have it easy making tanky builds: low health and high armor – two items on the list built in for them. Though if they then go bunker, they lose that “advantage.”

That build I listed is the current anchor build which frankly doesn’t work half the time anyway. I read that stuff of yours and there’s no such thing as extremely diminishing returns near 2700-3000 armour. Here, there’s a plot of 1/armour which is the variable in damage formula. It looks pretty linear to me in that range.

Secondly, OP asked about fractals 30+ and in those fractals condition removal is almost not needed at all and certainly not the reason to build your character around.

Attachments:

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

My experience is mostly toughness, then dps.
My zerker war never get as much aggro as my condition necro.

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Aggro = Random(5).

That is it.

That’s whats called lucky RNG.

I think.

No Lupi will 99% pick the person with highest toughness and focus them until they are dead. This actually works in our favor. Being the anchor guard for our team, I can just kite Lupi all day while my team dps him (we are not pro enough to melee brave mode). I literally can’t remember a time when Lupi wasn’t focusing on me the whole time.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP