It's ridiculous to not support your dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I know you laid off the guy that designed them, but that’s no excuse for just not supporting the dungeon content in the game. Fractals alone isn’t enough. We should have gotten at least one new standard dungeon in HoT, but barring that, you need to at least support what’s currently in the game.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I agree but I guess we should be thankful they are still in the game at all given Anet’s history of completely throwing away finished content.

All the living story content and events could have been permanent real content… instead of temporary features. The old alpine WvW map didn’t have to be tossed to make room for a new one. Raid on the capricorn didn’t need to be completely removed because they didn’t like underwater combat…

Anet just loves to spend resources on making content that will never be seen again.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

The Living Story was an ever evolving content they immortalized portions in fractals, there was no need to make it permanent.

Einlanzer.1627

The Living Story was an ever evolving content they immortalized portions in fractals, there was no need to make it permanent.

Don’t agree. It doesn’t make any sense to put a lot of work into a lot of content that doesn’t stay in the game. This is why after 3 years we only have a handful of new maps in the game. Thankfully they wisened up after season 1.

I also don’t think shoving things in fractals is a good approach. They should bring back season one with the dungeons as story events that can be played through multiple times.

And, yeah, they didn’t need to remove Alpine or the Capricorn. Or the old Twilight Arbor path. Bad decisions.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

Don’t agree. It doesn’t make any sense to put a lot of work into a lot of content that doesn’t stay in the game.

the idea was to make an ever-changing ‘living’ world (thus the name Living Story), rather than the static world of most MMOs.

this woulda worked fine, if they coulda chugged out content at 3x-4x the rate that they did. It just took too long between living world updates, and there wasnt enough to them; even the cooler ones mostly utilized existing world spaces.

As for removed content there were ways to preserve some of it. I find it baffling that there is no Clockwork Fractal.

edit: The cool part of the Living Story is that: Scarlet’s dead! It’s something that actually happened. You can see her impact all over the game, but she’s not around. It’s not something about where you are on your quest timeline, it’s not different for you depending on what plot choice you took; she’s dead. Same thing for the Ancient Karka sitting cooked through in the lava in Southsun. You don’t get the same sort feel of actual ingame history from repeatable content.

(edited by Shoe.5821)

Posted by: Bob F It.5701

Bob F It.5701

Tower of Nightmares and Marionette boss fractals would be great fractals only if they were added in the first place.

Right click your GW2 shortcut > “Properties”
“Shortcut” tab > “Target”
Add to the end " -bmp"

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Tower of Nightmares and Marionette boss fractals would be great fractals only if they were added in the first place.

I reckon they’d be better ported to the raid style instances with 10 man squads tbh.

Scale down marionette platforms to be duo fights with an enrage timer.

Could stick a bunch of random and hugely OP allies in 4/5 lanes (could make it cycle or something so the squad can try each lane).

And ToK was pretty much designed for a squad of players.
Behind the scenes it might need some work, say to track x/y bosses or events completed.

I know I’d love having both of those back as stand alone raids in the core game maps.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Just take the better bosses from the dungeons and put them into Fractals. Then ban everyone who still tries to go into a dungeon. Problem solved.

Einlanzer.1627

Just take the better bosses from the dungeons and put them into Fractals. Then ban everyone who still tries to go into a dungeon. Problem solved.

I’m not sure if this is sarcasm, but it’s a preposterous suggestion.

Einlanzer.1627

I want to reiterate that I don’t think shoving stuff in Fractals ad nauseum is a good approach, for a couple of reasons.

First, the Fractals themselves need to be thematically and narratively cohesive. The original fractals are all generalized locations, which works really well. The fractals added since are all specific locations with a specific narrative focus. This simply doesn’t make sense and doesn’t work well with the overarching theme of the fractals.

Second, by just shoving old content into the FotM, you take it out of the world and strip out the narrative context that made it interesting, which ruins the quality and immersion those dungeon areas can provide as part of an overarching story.

The solution is to introduce new fractals more similar to the original ones, remove the ones that were shoehorned in from LW season 1, and reintroduce them as instanced explorable areas packaged with LW season 1.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: Doctor.3462

Doctor.3462

So many posts about dungeons and has Anet even responded to us? I really hope they read these posts and realize people loved dungeons and still want to do them!!

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

So many posts about dungeons and has Anet even responded to us? I really hope they read these posts and realize people loved dungeons and still want to do them!!

Welcome to the trashcan.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

oh look Courtyard is gone too.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

There are new dungeons coming out. They are just called raids since they are for 10 people instead of 5.

Einlanzer.1627

There are new dungeons coming out. They are just called raids since they are for 10 people instead of 5.

That wasn’t the point of the thread.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Dungeons don’t equal raids, they’re completely different things.

Posted by: Goon for Hire.7150

Goon for Hire.7150

Meh. If the community loved dungeons as much as you claim, they’d still be running them on a regular basis even with the decreased rewards.

Guess they really were more of a chore, after all.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Meh. If the community loved dungeons as much as you claim, they’d still be running them on a regular basis even with the decreased rewards.

Why do you would run content if you need gold/currency to progress towards a goal when said content doesn’t help you reaching that goal at all?
Most people want some new skins, gear or whatever else, it only makes sense to try to combine fun with rewards.

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Why do you would run content if you need gold/currency to progress towards a goal when said content doesn’t help you reaching that goal at all?
Most people want some new skins, gear or whatever else, it only makes sense to try to combine fun with rewards.

Get your common sense out of here! This isnt the place for it!

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Get your common sense out of here! This isnt the place for it!

I… I’m sorry

Posted by: Dovienya.6597

Dovienya.6597

Don’t agree. It doesn’t make any sense to put a lot of work into a lot of content that doesn’t stay in the game.

the idea was to make an ever-changing ‘living’ world (thus the name Living Story), rather than the static world of most MMOs.

this woulda worked fine, if they coulda chugged out content at 3x-4x the rate that they did. It just took too long between living world updates, and there wasnt enough to them; even the cooler ones mostly utilized existing world spaces.

As for removed content there were ways to preserve some of it. I find it baffling that there is no Clockwork Fractal.

edit: The cool part of the Living Story is that: Scarlet’s dead! It’s something that actually happened. You can see her impact all over the game, but she’s not around. It’s not something about where you are on your quest timeline, it’s not different for you depending on what plot choice you took; she’s dead. Same thing for the Ancient Karka sitting cooked through in the lava in Southsun. You don’t get the same sort feel of actual ingame history from repeatable content.

I really hope there’s a marionette fractal at some point. Its one of the best designed fights this game has ever seen. It is not the same thing they did with the old dungeon content from Living World, but if they could manage to scale it properly, this would be amazing and probably the only way we will get to re-experience it unless they somehow re-do old living world stuff in the open world- which I doubt, or make smaller solo content out of it which would be even harder to scale and is also doubtful.

(edited by Dovienya.6597)

Einlanzer.1627

I really hope there’s a marionette fractal at some point. Its one of the best designed fights this game has ever seen. It is not the same thing they did with the old dungeon content from Living World, but if they could manage to scale it properly, this would be amazing and probably the only way we will get to re-experience it unless they somehow re-do old living world stuff in the open world- which I doubt, or make smaller solo content out of it which would be even harder to scale and is also doubtful.

It shouldn’t be a fractal. It should be implemented as a “dungeon” instance as part of the Living World Season one story progression. Same with Aetherblade and the Molten Facility.

I like the idea of Fractals as unspecified locations following a particular theme. I do not like the idea of using Fractals to capture prior story content. They need to embed these as story dungeons like those that exist as part of season 2 of the Living world.

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

Go F2P, neuter dungeons.

strange (and bad) combination, IMO.