Jade Maw Need to be reworked

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Draco.9480

Draco.9480

Jade Maw is boring and all the noobs can do it easily.
Make some cool boss kitten and mechanics.

Posted by: Benjamin Arnold

Benjamin Arnold

Content Programmer

I don’t like the fractal in it’s current state, and absolutely want to rework it (and other fractals). Right now though my full focus is on the next fractal, and I just don’t have the resources to commit to a Jade Maw rework in the near future. ;(

Posted by: Xevv.9175

Xevv.9175

Hijack the raid team and put them to work.

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

I think the Jade Maw could more or like retain its mechanic with the addition of more interesting mobs inbetween (like it was done to Snowblind maybe). What really kittenes me off is the running to the boss part. Either turn it into a you-must-fight scenario like the Molten Fractal or have no mobs at all I think.

This fractal is a good opportunity to have that GW1 Factions feel to it, maybe by having some Luxon or Kurziks around instead of solely elementals and annoying otaku wind riders. But the boss itself could just use a faster pace, with next to no changing of mechanics.

P.S it should by no means take focus out of new fractals indeed! lol

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

I don’t like the fractal in it’s current state, and absolutely want to rework it (and other fractals). Right now though my full focus is on the next fractal, and I just don’t have the resources to commit to a Jade Maw rework in the near future. ;(

I completely agree new content should be prioritized over improving old content in terms of fractals. On the matter of the new fractal tho is there any way u could give us a small hint what should we expect in term of difficulty and such (we wont tell anyone ).

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Expect similar difficulty to the Chaos and Nightmare fractal.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

when you do rework it please add some nice canthan areas to explore for fun and maybe saltspray dragon or something

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Good to know what you guys are spending your time on, looking forward to the new fractals. I kind of enjoy having a relaxing fractal like Jade Maw + it’s always fun trying to kill your allies by shooting knockbacks at the Colossus’s to reflect back at them or stealing crystals when they’re targeted. The ability to troll each other can be nice every now and then.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

when you do rework it please add some nice canthan areas to explore for fun and maybe saltspray dragon or something

Based on the dev work so far (in general, not only in fractals), I don’t think we can really expect any visually new mobs at this point. Not until expansion, anyway.

But back to the fractal rework – some streamlining is likely necessary (someone mentioned the skipping mobs part), but please, don’t make it significantly harder. Not every fractal needs to get the swamp treatment.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

zealex.9410

highly depends the nightmare fractal is obviously added as a stepping stone to raids and i guess in a way same with chaos that doesn’t mean the next one would be on the same lvl with these 2 or even higher in terms of difficulty.

Sublimatio.6981

Based on the dev work so far (in general, not only in fractals), I don’t think we can really expect any visually new mobs at this point. Not until expansion, anyway.

But back to the fractal rework – some streamlining is likely necessary (someone mentioned the skipping mobs part), but please, don’t make it significantly harder. Not every fractal needs to get the swamp treatment.

well, the chaos fractal introduced new harpy-golems. and a golden lobby golem npc. so don’t say that

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Can you PLEASEEEEE not test new content with warrior bots only. Even now certain encounters are extremely melee unfriendly (unless you are tanky as warrior) or/and just straight out heavily favor druids/necro comps.
Take bloomhunger, most of the time you are stuck with ranged set due to need to kite the thing 24/7.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Astralporing.1957

well, the chaos fractal introduced new harpy-golems. and a golden lobby golem npc. so don’t say that

These are just tweaks of already existing models (just like the new destroyers in LS, that are themselves just slight modifications. Of designs that are thenselves not original, by the way, since Anet didn’t want to bother to create unique destroyer models based on their previous GW1 design).

Actions, not words.

Posted by: OnizukaBR.8537

OnizukaBR.8537

If this fractal is not on the same level of chaos and nightmare ( difficulty wise ) please consider a CM like 100 CM. We really need more 5 challenging content.

Sublimatio.6981

These are just tweaks of already existing models (just like the new destroyers in LS, that are themselves just slight modifications. Of designs that are thenselves not original, by the way, since Anet didn’t want to bother to create unique destroyer models based on their previous GW1 design).

we already have a model for saltspray dragon, it’s the minipet for mobile authentication

Astralporing.1957

we already have a model for saltspray dragon, it’s the minipet for mobile authentication

Yeah, suuure.
Saltspray Dragon
Mystic Dragon Minipet

The minipet is a saltspray dragon to about the same degree that a griffin is a gargoyle

Actions, not words.

OriOri.8724

highly depends the nightmare fractal is obviously added as a stepping stone to raids and i guess in a way same with chaos that doesn’t mean the next one would be on the same lvl with these 2 or even higher in terms of difficulty.

Well the team has said that they want T4 fractals to be a stepping stone to raids. And Chaos is about the same difficulty as Nightmare fractal, even though 1 is a boss fractal and 1 isn’t. So I thnk its safe to say the new one will be about the same difficulty.

Sublimatio.6981

Yeah, suuure.
Saltspray Dragon
Mystic Dragon Minipet

The minipet is a saltspray dragon to about the same degree that a griffin is a gargoyle

I didn’t say the minipet is a saltspray dragon, I said it is a model template that could work as saltspray dragon npc

zealex.9410

Well the team has said that they want T4 fractals to be a stepping stone to raids. And Chaos is about the same difficulty as Nightmare fractal, even though 1 is a boss fractal and 1 isn’t. So I thnk its safe to say the new one will be about the same difficulty.

chaos fractal is leagues easier than nightmare what are you talking about?

OriOri.8724

No, they are about the same to me.

zealex.9410

That doesnt make them the same difficulty.

OriOri.8724

They are though. Once you know the mechanics the fights are roughly the same. You seem to be comparing chaos to the challenge mote in nightmare, which is not what I was referring to.

zealex.9410

They are though. Once you know the mechanics the fights are roughly the same. You seem to be comparing chaos to the challenge mote in nightmare, which is not what I was referring to.

no i dont but 100 has more things that can kill you and has more personal responsibility for like the bullet hell phase etc.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

If you are looking for a quick fix, just make the Maw laser target all players every time.

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

I would like to second the thought in the OP, I have a list of fractals from worst to best that I made as a joke to decide what order to do dailies in, and in this patch Jade Maw is literally at the very bottom. The encounter is lengthy for no reason and extremely unchallenging, and the mechanics of the fight do not change for the entire duration. Spending the first 2 minutes just running past a bunch of enemies before you start the fight serves no purpose but to waste time. It is ostensibly a boss fractal but it is the worst fotm boss encounter by a wide margin.

Astralporing.1957

If you are looking for a quick fix, just make the Maw laser target all players every time.

Yeah, dodge or die mechanics would suure make it really popular.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: OneUP.3024

OneUP.3024

before they rework jademaw, they should remove molten furnance fractal since its by far the most cancer fractal. You just waste your time and have literally 0 challange.

Quantify [qT]

zealex.9410

before they rework jademaw, they should remove molten furnance fractal since its by far the most cancer fractal. You just waste your time and have literally 0 challange.

you say it has no challenge but brobo still dies to the fire elemental on the tunnel ^^

Sublimatio.6981

Yeah, dodge or die mechanics would suure make it really popular.

the game should have more like it so ppl would actually have to learn to dodge

Posted by: Lakemine.3014

Lakemine.3014

Question for the fractal devs, are you still keeping the lv100 CM for the Nightmare fractal even with adding new fractals? or will it be removed and you will just give a few weks heads up to get it before it gets removed? I am not the best player but meh ok-ish average. I mainly pvp, fractals it took a bit of a time to get the gear for it mainly because of the AR gate (which I hate very much so) and my PFL (personal fractal level) is 95 atm (hopefully going for 100 in the next week) and I have done 100 non CM and it was fun, and only done the first boss of lv100 CM, still need to work on one mechanic, but for being a first timer and never even doing 100 before and heck I had only done the Nightmare fractal in tier 1 like 5 hours before hand the guy leading it said I did ok, still needed work, but good enough. So just wanted to make sure the lv100 CM was still there in a few weeks or maybe a few months it takes for me to find people willing to wipe for a few hours to teach me and then to learn them and then to get it down, when you add the new fractal, as you said that is your primary focus atm.

Also, Chaos isn’t hard, Nightmare wasn’t hard either. (Both t4 btw) Now I’m not a hardcore raider (want to be, just can’t find a group) but I have done about half of the bosses released atm and attempted Matt (failed at 32%) and I found Nightmare CM 100 ALOT harder then ANY of the raid bosses. So saying that lv100 is a stepping stone to raids (at least for me) is kinda backwards lol. Is it because of the AR mechanic which is not present in raids? Or less people? Or something else? (Or were people talking about lv100 by it self, and not the CM, as the CM is above raids? Just wanted to be clear.)

Keep up the good work Anet devs, all of you.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Question for the fractal devs, are you still keeping the lv100 CM for the Nightmare fractal even with adding new fractals? or will it be removed and you will just give a few weks heads up to get it before it gets removed? I am not the best player but meh ok-ish average. I mainly pvp, fractals it took a bit of a time to get the gear for it mainly because of the AR gate (which I hate very much so) and my PFL (personal fractal level) is 95 atm (hopefully going for 100 in the next week) and I have done 100 non CM and it was fun, and only done the first boss of lv100 CM, still need to work on one mechanic, but for being a first timer and never even doing 100 before and heck I had only done the Nightmare fractal in tier 1 like 5 hours before hand the guy leading it said I did ok, still needed work, but good enough. So just wanted to make sure the lv100 CM was still there in a few weeks or maybe a few months it takes for me to find people willing to wipe for a few hours to teach me and then to learn them and then to get it down, when you add the new fractal, as you said that is your primary focus atm.

Also, Chaos isn’t hard, Nightmare wasn’t hard either. (Both t4 btw) Now I’m not a hardcore raider (want to be, just can’t find a group) but I have done about half of the bosses released atm and attempted Matt (failed at 32%) and I found Nightmare CM 100 ALOT harder then ANY of the raid bosses. So saying that lv100 is a stepping stone to raids (at least for me) is kinda backwards lol. Is it because of the AR mechanic which is not present in raids? Or less people? Or something else? (Or were people talking about lv100 by it self, and not the CM, as the CM is above raids? Just wanted to be clear.)

Why would they remove it? 100cm is great. I think they are going to add more challenge modes to other fractals, or new fractals. Plus, their are all those achievements and items that are associated with it. (Will more fractal cheevo’s be coming? I’ve finished everything. I needs mah ap lol :-P )

Please don’t remove it! :-O

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Lakemine.3014

Lakemine.3014

Why would they remove it? 100cm is great. I think they are going to add more challenge modes to other fractals, or new fractals. Plus, their are all those achievements and items that are associated with it. (Will more fractal cheevo’s be coming? I’ve finished everything. I needs mah ap lol :-P )

Please don’t remove it! :-O

Didn’t Mai Trin used to be lv100? I know it did not have a challenge mote, but they moved it around. So if they are adding a new fractal (as of right know I think its just one, but who knows about more down the road) they have to shift them around, which if they do that instead of removing it, then i’ll be ok with that. But that’s why I’m asking the fractal devs to see what they intend to do. And yeah, I just need “No Lasers!”, tier 3 and tier 4 of the legendary backpack and then random levels I’m missing for t2,t3 and t4 fractals, and then I have all the fractal AP. Been playing for about 2-3 years and I just hit 20k, so more AP is wanted by me also lol. (Don’t see any AP for the lv100 CM? Is it there just hidden like the Disco cave in TD or the Bee hive in LD? Because all the raids CM have AP listed, but I don’t see the one for lv100 fractal CM)

OriOri.8724

If they do move Nightmare fractal around they won’t remove the challenge mote. It wouldn’t serve a purpose to remove it, but it would kitten off a lot of people.

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

Nooooooooo…. This is my favorite… There’s enough others fractal rework but let’s keep this original.. I hv so much fun in this fractal and nice memories of this. Each time I get this map.. reminds me the old time. We used to steal friends crystal just before he pick it up.. and so much laughing and I occasionally still do.. or wake a banner right on top of the crystal just before someone pick it and instead of crystal they pick up banner loooool :x
What we want is NEW FRACTAL MAP

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

at the risk of sounding like a fanboi….

I like this thread

more challenge motes please please please, every new fractal needs one! in fact, so do the old ones! bring motes along with reworks!

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Bugabuga.9721

Bugabuga.9721

I’m okay with having more/different challenge motes. But hopefully it won’t be “reworked”. Too often when fractals are changed the result is much longer and more annoying. Like phased gorilla of a bloomhunger or having to do all rooms in taumanova on low level

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

I don’t mind a longer fractals, as long as the fight is fun. Bloomy is fun. Jade Maw, in its current state, is just boring.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

zealex.9410

i dont dislike long fractals some of my favourite fractals are the longer ones idk having it take longer makesnit feel more real more engaging and thats one thing i can respect about dungeons and i would like to see in fractals more “long” fractals that require you to do more thanwalkimg up a path to the boss.

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

Like phased gorilla of a bloomhunger

Bloomhunger could actually be much shorter in pugs if people

1. stop separating Bloomy + champ after 75% and 50% and fight them together or at least focus on Bloomy, the champ is neither dangerous nor important to kill.

2. run consistently and faster into the green fields to pull Bloomy.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

OriOri.8724

1. stop separating Bloomy + champ after 75% and 50% and fight them together or at least focus on Bloomy, the champ is neither dangerous nor important to kill.

You want pugs to actually think through fights and do stuff that makes sense? What is wrong with you? /s

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

You want pugs to actually think through fights and do stuff that makes sense? What is wrong with you? /s

Hope…till it’s over. xD

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Oooooh, looking forward for a new fractal!

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

CptAurellian.9537

Hope…till it’s over. xD

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment :P

I’m with Ori. If the majority of pugs can’t even do the fight without regularly going down to Bloomy alone, how are they supposed to do him and the oakheart at the same time? In melee, the oakheart can be nasty if you don’t pay attention in the wrong moment.

OriOri.8724

Say what now? I’m actually in favor of taking them both on at the same time. Makes the fight shorter, less time to make mistakes and go down.

zealex.9410

and thats why easy mode raids arent a thing xD

zealex.9410

Hope…till it’s over. xD

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment :P

I’m with Ori. If the majority of pugs can’t even do the fight without regularly going down to Bloomy alone, how are they supposed to do him and the oakheart at the same time? In melee, the oakheart can be nasty if you don’t pay attention in the wrong moment.

you will be surprised with who many pugs can a decent mesmer carry xD or good dps

CptAurellian.9537

Yes, I’d probably be surprised if it’s that many at Bloomy. Unless you can be in four places at the same time. No, illusions don’t count towards that goal :P

Say what now? I’m actually in favor of taking them both on at the same time. Makes the fight shorter, less time to make mistakes and go down.

Me too. I just don’t think most of the pugs will be able of doing that.

zealex.9410

Yes, I’d probably be surprised if it’s that many at Bloomy. Unless you can be in four places at the same time. No, illusions don’t count towards that goal :P

Me too. I just don’t think most of the pugs will be able of doing that.

meh a mesmer can always get 2 out of the 4 wisps even 3 if hes fast enough and he can also solo the first part of the fractal

OriOri.8724

They can solo the first part of the fractal?

zealex.9410

They can solo the first part of the fractal?

yeah with mimic and portals