Jaded Dungeon-ers: The little things that make you go WT

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: gadenp.7586

gadenp.7586

The other day, I was playing AC with a PUG, as my guild left me behind as I got home from work late.

Everything was great at first, till we came to the first boss of AC. And most of the group kept on being downed. While the more experience people were trying to tell them to dodge pls OMG dodge.

It got me thinking. For those of us that does dungeons till our eyes bleed. What causes you to go WT (what the …), when partying with others.

Please keep it civil and not pick on specific people. Lets keep it fun.

Here are the little things that make me go or that I have read people QQ about in the forums, OMG I being doing this too long:

1. telling people when they see a red circle to dodge please for the love of … dodge

2. when party member fully die, going Why are you not respawning yet? ReSpawn!

3. running pass mobs, err can you not die?

4. where is your condition removal skill? Did you dying due to conditions again?

5. Err you do not know what to do? Err must I explain, there is a wiki on this you know … hint hint

6. talk about their rare gear (err rare only??? …. err not full exotic? why me :P )

7. to thief: Go pull now. What? How? Use Scorpion Wire, stand here. Pull this. Do it properly. Or to necro: Spectral Grasp! Spectral Grasp!

8. to rangers: Where is the healing spring? What you use troll urgent? Err ok? Seriously WHY?

9. to memsers: I want me portal. Go run and portal me across. What you mean how?

10. to ranger: why is your pet running with you??? You heard of stow pet? Why is your pet moving towards enemy group, is it on aggressive?? OMG it is, RUN! faster for your lives

NOTE: I am not raging. They are just points that I observe. Points 1 & 10 especially. The points are also purposely presented in an inflated manner, to make them more interesting. I especially like point 10, because I am a ranger, that first time I did a dungeon run, my pet aggroed half the room, which caused much rage, me saying sorry like crazy, and a PUG member quitting in rage.

(edited by gadenp.7586)

gadenp.7586

I am not promoting that you should kick people or make their life difficult if they do the above. In fact, you should help them through, especially if it is their first few times.

But seriously, you do not get abit annoyed by the small things some people do, either purposely or in ignorance? And then try your best to help them not do it again?

Also I am saying, that you know you are Jaded, when…. I am not saying, if you see people do this, you must go leet on them. These are signs you have done too many dungeons runs, to often. Warning signs if you will, that not everyone are like you and people must start somewhere.

(edited by gadenp.7586)

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

Only thing that irks me is when i take the time to explain the fight talk about marked mobs get done with the whole thing ask if any one has any questions, ofcourse they never do, then pull with target marked and guess what they after saying they under stood are over beating on x mob that is seriously of no issue while marked mob proceeds to wipe the entire party because i was the only one on it. Or someone changes the mark like they so often do in ac to the breeders when i’ve already told them to ignore them because ill be able to get rid of the spawns faster then they can actually spawn them.

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

I’m usually very patient with others.

If I end up in a group that kills the mobs that most groups generally skips, I’ll join in. Maybe something interesting might drop.

Often times, but not always, if I see rage-like remarks in party chat from an individual, I’m going to consider (and maybe scrutinize) a bunch of things from that player such as their gear, achievement points, and the presence of a Commander buff. Almost always, I’m lead to believe that person may be bored, aggravated, easily enraged, impatient and perhaps borderline elitist. Again, this isn’t always the case, but I suppose someone’s Achievement Score could have similar correlations to “Gear Score” in some MMOs.

I don’t mind people helping other people, but if I sense a considerable level of “nerd rage” from party chat dialogue, I’m probably going to look at you funny. And if I look at you funny for way too long, it generally doesn’t end well.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: WickThePriest.9304

WickThePriest.9304

I’ve played since the pre-release weekend. Dungeon pugs have improved 1000x already. It’s just a matter of people getting comfortable with the game, classes, and encounters.

I did AC EXP the other day and no one died once. Downed, but not dead. Pug. It was great.

Please do not lower difficulties, the game is great!

Posted by: Absolution.2851

Absolution.2851

Just my experience, but telling people what they do wrong, in any tone, never turns out well.

Even without acting elitist, they still perceive it that way, so it aides no one. To the point where, I don’t even bother helping or teaching people dungeons. There are guides online that let them learn the dungeon. Sorry.

Posted by: Oh Snapalope.1378

Oh Snapalope.1378

1. Glass cannons
2. People that wear magic find gear
3. People that don’t know how to dodge red circles
4. People that won’t respawn
5. See point 1
6. See point 1
7. See point 1

(edited by Oh Snapalope.1378)

Posted by: Auruan.2837

Auruan.2837

Condescending, silly people with ego issues. The ones that make me resent I said so much as, “Hello!” to them.
I reckon everyone knows them in some form! Here’s a few of the funniest examples that I get to deal with as a Guardian tank/support player.
(Note, this is how their comments sound in my head after re-reading them a while and having repeatedly facepalmed at their logic.)

“Oh, you just asked if I want to do method A or B for this boss, to prevent us from all doing different things and failing miserably? How about I start explaining the futility of both methods by saying your DPS sucks and suggest we zerg and repeatedly die instead?”

“Oh, you were downed right next to me and I didn’t res you ‘cause I’m the glass cannon that lives in tunnel vision? Tell me how much DPS you do again, Mr Support player who saved my behind repeatedly now.”

“Oh, so you have full Knight status rares/exotics with matching runes, but not full exotic armour yet? Let me spam you with my mismatched gear of Knight-Cleric-Valkyrie-Berserker stats and inform you how dumb and fat you are for no apparent reason.”

They think themselves clever but… yeah.

And my absolute favourite, here in a generic flavour of how it sounds in my head whenever I read a version of it.
“im new but u all must do it wrong lol cus we wiped, despite surviving longer and helping others up while i remain on the floor defeated and refused to res even when begged 3 times. u noobs!”

At least most of these aren’t so common it happens on every run, but once in every ten or so groups still have at least one guy with this sort of “logic”.

Posted by: Agenteusa.6380

Agenteusa.6380

@OP

You seem the kind of person that likes to point flaws at others but won’t take them if they´re directed towards you.

Not everyone has to run a cookie cutter build that’s tailored to what YOU want/need. If I don’t want healing spring I won’t use it, how about that?

Some of the points you provide are valid, others are crossing the line. I don´t have to play the way you want.

Example : There are several thieves runnign dagger storm in dungeons when clearly thieves guild is way better for several reasons that I won’t mention. Still I don’t go berserk on one thief because of that.

PS All of the above applies if you are running pugs with people you don’t know.

Posted by: Grey.7319

Grey.7319

Things that annoy me in dungeons:

1. People who assume everyone has the same level of knowledge that they do, and instead of giving advice, give angry commands.

2. See #1

3. Players who skip legitimate content and complain when others are specced to kill mobs instead of avoid them.

4. Players who fail to understand that not everyone has infinite amounts of condition removal.

5. See #1

6: Players who think that you need to be level 80 and wearing full exotics to clear an explorable.

7 Players who complain at others for not pulling, when they could have done it themselves.

8. Players who dictate not only their own skills, but their team mates too.

9. Lazy players who expect other professions to provide a taxi service.

10. See #1

Seriously though, when pugging dungeons you have to accept that you are grouped with players who may be there for the first time. A little understanding and support is not only nicer approach, but also far more likely to sink in. Barking commands at a player who may already be nervous about their performance, is not going to help improve it.

Everybody was a newbie at some point, everybody had to earn their first set of exotics at some point and everybody is more receptive to polite advice than rude commands and insults.

IGN: Grey | Mesmer | Gandara
GW2 wiki profile | DeviantArt | GW2Guru Art Thread

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

1)Glass cannon players that don’t know how to dodge
2)“Lets skip this!” person charges ahead, dies
3)“Oh no, we died once on Lupicus/Subject Alpha/Grandmother Naggypants, rage”
4)“Gosh, that player in a different spec sucks because they don’t spec the way I want them to” [Compare to 1) for hilarity ^^].
5)“omg that person isn’t maxlevel/full exotics yet, let me nerdrage for longer than this person can cost us time in the first place”
6)“Hey, guardian/mesmer, you did Y wrong!” Person did Y as well and keeps doing Y

Those, mostly. I don’t mind a wipe, I don’t mind explaining things, I don’t mind adjusting strategies, I don’t even mind 4manning a dungeon after the 5th has a disconnect. I do, however, mind people that rush everything and are a general pain to their fellow players. Dungeons are a group activity.

So please be nice to your fellow members. It will be a nice run, then.

I prefer a run with nice people that I die 3 times on and take 20minutes longer over a run with kittens that keep harassing player X for Y and demand player Z to be kicked for lowlevel/wrong color/being a charr.

Posted by: Jakar.3685

Jakar.3685

Having a group with 4/5 glasscannon can be very fast, but yea they do need to know how to play. It’s not that hard to play as a glasscannon as long as you know how to dodge and have the correct utility skills. It is very handy to have at least one tanky char in your group tho.

Posted by: Kamahl.3621

Kamahl.3621

I’ve been speedclearing AC for the past few days.

Only one group was able to skip the spider queen successfully. We had some kitten screwing it up for us every time because he’d aggro the spiders that trigger the queen spawn one way or another.

First time? He walked to the left instead of hugging the right wall.
Second time? His flesh golem aggroed them.
Third time? His staff auto attack went through one mob and aggroed the trigger mob.

I do get pretty irritated at that. I didn’t call him out on it directly, but I did whisper the other persons in the group why I was so rage-mode. 2 agreed.

Posted by: Oh Snapalope.1378

Oh Snapalope.1378

Things that annoy me in dungeons:

1. People who assume everyone has the same level of knowledge that they do, and instead of giving advice, give angry commands.

2. See #1

3. Players who skip legitimate content and complain when others are specced to kill mobs instead of avoid them.

4. Players who fail to understand that not everyone has infinite amounts of condition removal.

5. See #1

6: Players who think that you need to be level 80 and wearing full exotics to clear an explorable.

7 Players who complain at others for not pulling, when they could have done it themselves.

8. Players who dictate not only their own skills, but their team mates too.

9. Lazy players who expect other professions to provide a taxi service.

10. See #1

Seriously though, when pugging dungeons you have to accept that you are grouped with players who may be there for the first time. A little understanding and support is not only nicer approach, but also far more likely to sink in. Barking commands at a player who may already be nervous about their performance, is not going to help improve it.

Everybody was a newbie at some point, everybody had to earn their first set of exotics at some point and everybody is more receptive to polite advice than rude commands and insults.

Off-topic but does Shanaeri still play?

Posted by: Grey.7319

Grey.7319

Off-topic but does Shanaeri still play?

Shan’s still playing and leading DVDF here on Gandara

IGN: Grey | Mesmer | Gandara
GW2 wiki profile | DeviantArt | GW2Guru Art Thread

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

strange people seem to be attacking the op. sorry op

Things that annoy me

1. Keyboard turners. You see the circle pop up and you see them turn slowly, then attempt to run away. I cry inside.

2. Dodging. Not the 1st time, but the 20th time. Sometimes youre like “come on!”

3. Lvl 80’s who die faster than I did at lvl 30.

4. Thief’s who cant figure out why they are dying.

5. D/D Ele’s who refuse to adapt even though they spend more time on their back than Madonna.

6. Being the guardian with an AH build and finally getting a team that utilises their ranged advantage.

7. Ele’s that dont have arcane shield, mist form, or armour of earth.

darn I need to go to 10 dont I?

8. People who just go into the dungeon without any thought of preparation.

9. humans

10. That realisation that the 5th member is absolutely useless and you are effectively 4 manning the dungeon and the 5th is trying, he is cool, but unfortunately he is absolute trash.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

1. People who rage at others instead of killing. I was in a party that had people preferring to skip and those wanting to kill Kholer. The guy who wanted to kill spent a good 10ish minutes kittening at the people who preferred skipping, speaking about all the rage on the forums and what not. The people who preferred skipping weren’t against killing, but the other guy wasted time raging at us.

2. Impatient people/those who can’t cope with new people. Not everyone has done the dungeon before, not everyone knows what you’re trying to do. Get everyone up to speed before you get frustrated that it’s not going smoothly.

3. People who have all their utilities on rather pointless skills. For example, I know a thief who tends to use all signets in their utilities and never even activates them during the dungeon. What in the world do you need 25% movement speed for? You’re not even kiting anything.

Be of use to your party.

4. People who go afk auto attacking on bosses like CoF path 3. Sure you’re not getting aggro but this guy takes awhile to kill. Doing something other than a long range slow auto attack would be nice.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

(edited by Sera.6539)

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I don’t know what WT means, but I’m guessing it’s stuff that annoys me?
My list not in any particular order:

1. Level / Class discriminators. Any class works, so I don’t see the need to refuse certain classes to the party. As for level discriminating, it doesn’t bother me as much, but when a party refuses someone 70-79 that’s just idiotic.

2. People that down/die over and over again. Like when fighting simple trash mobs, or a really basic boss fight, and a player just can’t keep itself alive. Most likely because it’s wearing berserker or magic find gear and sucks at the game.

3. People that don’t use waypoint after dying. Makes me rage quietly.=P Worse even if they beg for resses during a fight... *stomps on their corpse*

4. People that don’t dodge red circles... like ever. They just stand there. WTKitten is wrong with you?

5. People that don’t adapt to the situation. Like melee that keeps getting stomped and refuses to switch to ranged, or signet warriors that continue eating dirt instead of changing their utility to keep themselves alive. Which brings me to my next point:

6. Signet warriors. Oh lol, this had to be added to the list. I normally don’t care what people run. Whatever they like to play I like to say. But this is just bad. It doesn’t do anything. And these are always the people that go down the most.

7. Control freaks who feel the need to make L2P comments about everyone’s playstyle, and constantly have to tell everyone in the party what to do, where to go etc. A little leadership in a party is nice, but these guys are way overdoing it. On the other hand...

8. The quiet guy that feels everything has to get rushed and skipped, and only doesn’t bother talking to the party because it’s not worth his time. Usually the type that runs into the next fight before the party has finished the previous fight, then dies and blames the party for being noobs (the only thing he bothers saying before he ragequits).

9. The guy that gives up at something after 1 or 2 tries. How weak can you be? Why do some people refuse to learn the dungeon and instead give up and quit?

10. Bad exploiters. The guys that are desperate to exploit the hell out of anything they can with the excuse of "but otherwise it’s too hard". Bunch of wannabe’s that think they’re pro with their dungeon set because they exploited encounters to get what they want.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

The only thing that confuses me, are these people who are not good at “Running” (in my case, I wrote the GUIDE on doing the Droknar’s Forge run along with several others, so I get to claim expert’s credibility on the topic) yet insist on running past Mobs when they don’t even change their Utils & Weapons skills for the Running. …Then they usually get Crippled or KD’d when we could have just killed those mobs in half the time it took them to repeatedly WP & die again next time they had to respawn.

Posted by: Shados.1306

Shados.1306

Only one group was able to skip the spider queen successfully. We had some kitten screwing it up for us every time because he’d aggro the spiders that trigger the queen spawn one way or another.

Third time? His staff auto attack went through one mob and aggroed the trigger mob.

I do get pretty irritated at that. I didn’t call him out on it directly, but I did whisper the other persons in the group why I was so rage-mode. 2 agreed.

IMO very very few bosses are skippable by design, and its bordering on exploits (or at least, gray area) in quite a few cases. A lot of groups won’t skip them on that account (kohler is one of the few bosses that is so skippable you can skip him without even knowing he exists there in some of the paths. Happened my first time through the Howling King path.). So raging because someone isn’t skipping it properly, even during a speedrun, is a bit much IMO.

gadenp.7586

To all those that say OP is QQing or raging, etc.

It is not my purpose to complain about people. I just want to discuss this matter. And wanted to present this topic in an exaggerated manner as to make light of it. To make the topic something fun, where we can present interesting point and stories that we can all laugh at.

These are just points that I observe. I do not go about punishing or complaining or nagging people if they commit these. These are not sins. But yes I admit, I do get annoyed if people keep on doing it and not learn.

Points 1, 2 & 10 especially make me want to go L2P pls, but again I do not go about complaining about them, unless they are friends or friendly guildies.

I especially like point 10, because I am a ranger, that first time I did a dungeon run, my pet aggroed half the room, which caused much rage, me saying sorry like crazy, and a PUG member quitting in rage. And the rest of the guildies made it into a running joke, after which I never did it again.

So to the people that take this topic extremely seriously. Please take it in humor in the spirit in which this topic is intended.

(edited by gadenp.7586)

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

Oh! I just remembered something now, especially with my recent AC run.

Often times, I usually run with two or more other guild members in the party. Personally, I’m not a big fan of “cheesing” certain content (especially easy content that just makes exploiting look very stupid) and most people in my guild don’t do it either when running as a guild. Likewise, I never skip any boss while running as a guild, even the optional ones; unless it’s absolutely certain that we do not have the capability to kill them. This applies to just about every MMO I play.

Now, I’ve heard stories of people skipping Kohler, and that’s cool and all; but what really bugs me are the PUGs that assume that every run is a “speed run” and attempt to skip anything and everything that seems skippable. Often times, they end up being the loner of the group and end up being bored from waiting on us. Well … this goes back to looking at someone funny from my previous post. I’ll let them stick around, but if they simply whine/complain/rage about it in party chat? We’ll just keep them around so that we could use the laughter on the guild’s Vent server.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: Kamahl.3621

Kamahl.3621

IMO very very few bosses are skippable by design, and its bordering on exploits (or at least, gray area) in quite a few cases. A lot of groups won’t skip them on that account (kohler is one of the few bosses that is so skippable you can skip him without even knowing he exists there in some of the paths. Happened my first time through the Howling King path.). So raging because someone isn’t skipping it properly, even during a speedrun, is a bit much IMO.

There’s a dev post stating it’s not an exploit. Says players skip it because:
1) Crap rewards
2) Can’t do it
3) Don’t want to

Or something like that. For killing the spider queen, you get zilch. For killing Kohler, you get a chest and a waypoint. Nothing worthwhile drops from AC chests (UNLESS YOU LIKE DEM GARLIC BREADS), so case closed.

Posted by: Satakal.6971

Satakal.6971

“7. to thief: Go pull now. What? How? Use Scorpion Wire, stand here. Pull this. Do it properly.”

Reminds me of a situation in Honor of the Waves with the boss with the two quaggan adds, where the thief was like ‘stand back, i’ll pull a quaggan’ … he then uses shortbow #1, the bouncing attack. It was so funny.

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

People coming to dungeons on their mesmers.

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

whoah whoah lehova, what’s wrong with mesmers? Reflection skill, time warp, moa form, and condition removal are all you need to justify a mesmer.

Now if you said ranger I might agree with you ;o

Satakal, you can pull those quaggans by auto attacking, rolling backwards, and then waiting near the water, they have a longer aggro leash than the boss, so you can keep them but not him. It’s how i’ve always done it if there was no necro available.

Posted by: Indo.4587

Indo.4587

whoah whoah lehova, what’s wrong with mesmers? Reflection skill, time warp, moa form, and condition removal are all you need to justify a mesmer.

I agree. Portal is nice and all but the other necessary utilities needed for dungeons are much better.

Several pulses of condition removal > Portal

Especially considering majority of the people who DON’T die from 1HKO in dungeons usually die from left over condition damage.

Jade Quarry: Indó, Level 80 Mesmer

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

I agree. Portal is nice and all but the other necessary utilities needed for dungeons are much better.

Several pulses of condition removal > Portal

Especially considering majority of the people who DON’T die from 1HKO in dungeons usually die from left over condition damage.

mesmers can lay down light fields too actually. Temporal curtain and veil. ;p
Also maybe its just because I run an ele, with 2 AOE condition removals ontop of a 3k heal every 10 seconds. I’ve never really seen a need for anyone else to bring anything besides their own personal one ;o

Posted by: Nepocrates.3642

Nepocrates.3642

I have 2 major pet peeves

First is when no one goes to pull even after I ask and target the one we should pull .So I as an eng go to pull (shudder) that is when the thief and ranger decide to AOE or pull the wrong one; you know the one in the back instead of the one in front.

Second is players that refuse to switch to skill that will better help the group because their DPS will go down. Oh well such is the life in a PUG

Posted by: Satakal.6971

Satakal.6971

Satakal, you can pull those quaggans by auto attacking, rolling backwards, and then waiting near the water, they have a longer aggro leash than the boss, so you can keep them but not him. It’s how i’ve always done it if there was no necro available.

Yeah i know, but his auto attack was a bouncing attack so he pulled all three of them. I had to laugh.