"Just so you know, your build isn't meta!"

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: antares.5916

antares.5916

Seriously though, don’t enter my party that specifically reads “Casual run, no skipping, all builds welcome” and expects everyone to just kill things faster, and berating every single party member that their build is not meta when not doing fast damage. I am not a speedrunner, and I make parties for people like me. And you expect not to get kicked?
(-_-) Why don’t you join a speedrun then?

Sorry for ranting… But seriously, some people just don’t read… I fully understand how speedrunners feel when someone joins their party with no zerk gear. Casual players and speedrunners need not play together. We have an LFG for that.

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

No schiet, humanity is kittening kittened.

Inb4 300+ replies.

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

Kick them, for sure. No mercy.

(Though honestly I’ve had a great deal of fun lately joining groups like this with my meta builds and carrying hard. I never ever complain about anything and follow the group in stacking or not if I do this though.)

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Reading is an exploit to some. Happens when you’re selling paths too.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Reading is too hard for most of the people who use the LFG.

Posted by: Ariete The Phoenix.8276

Ariete The Phoenix.8276

reading = harder than any dungeon for some people.
what I normally do to “fight” against ppl that don’t read is that I write a lot of giberish at the start so in the LFG you can only see something like this: OMGWTFTROLLLEETIDGASWIASI. After that I write the real message. Normally ppl will read what’s inside and if they don’t I do another thing too, I write ""something"@join" so if they don’t say that “something” its a kick in 10 sec for not reading.

Also known as Liahm Lee

(edited by Ariete The Phoenix.8276)

antares.5916

what I normally do to “fight” against ppl that don’t read is that I write a lot of giberish at the start so in the LFG you can only see something like this: OMGWTFTROLLLEETIDGASWIASI. After that I write the real message. Normally ppl will read what’s inside and if they don’t I do another thing too, I write ""something"@join" so if they don’t say that “something” its a kick in 10 sec for not reading.

Oooh! I like this advice! Thank you for giving me this idea.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Sir/Ma’am, I demand that you TAKE MY INTERNETS!

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Are you that guy from the CM run that told me to ease up on the “attitude” because I called out a few people? I wasnt complaining about damage as I solo’d 3 mobs whilst “the other 4 were slaughtered by 1 mob” I was complaining about the synergy :P especially when I am consistently last one alive who has to suicide so others can respawn.

but yea Reading is hard for quite a few people. 80 Only will consistently get lvl 30’s

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Kick them, for sure. No mercy.

(Though honestly I’ve had a great deal of fun lately joining groups like this with my meta builds and carrying hard. I never ever complain about anything and follow the group in stacking or not if I do this though.)

This is pretty much what I do. No point bragging, no point telling them what to do. Just carry on silently and let your carrying do all the talking, a lot of pugs find it incredible to watch.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

(edited by maha.7902)

Ariete The Phoenix.8276

I normally use this in fractals and write “pie@join”, since I play with at least 1 or 2 friends we carry the other players as long as they are able to read and adapt to our tactics and demands.

Also known as Liahm Lee

Posted by: No Pulse.2967

No Pulse.2967

I normally use this in fractals and write “pie@join”, since I play with at least 1 or 2 friends we carry the other players as long as they are able to read and adapt to our tactics and demands.

Best pie NA… Couldn’t complain about Liahm’s pie parties so far

Inactive member in Dark Renegatus [REN]
The Order of Calamity [OOC] is recruiting!
5/8 Champion titles

Posted by: Slowburn.5319

Slowburn.5319

Try posting like this…

lfm to run dungeon as slowly and inefficiently as possible. dodging or using appropriate skills will result in kick. you have been warned!

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Try posting like this…

lfm to run dungeon as slowly and inefficiently as possible. dodging or using appropriate skills will result in kick. you have been warned!

Either they still won’t read and join or they’ll think it’s a joke and join anyway.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

I’m sure it’s fun waiting 20 minutes to save 2 minutes to your run. If you’re pugging, why even opt to try and do it quickly when you can’t even monitor builds or gear?

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Ariete The Phoenix.8276

I am normally, with my other friend, carrying the team. We normally get ppl in 2-3 minutes because all we ask is to write what was posted and nothing else. Builds and gear? I don’t care, I took a healing necro, I took a shout warrior, I took a staff guardian. I only told them if they could change some stuff, like use this weapon or this utility please.

Also known as Liahm Lee

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

^ Full reader comps are OP. pie pie pie

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

Did a TA run with a friend, said everyone welcome, it was not meant to be a speedrun but more of a teaching run. Dude joins and keeps calling people noobs. I personally send a kick request.
My sis joined a team asking for 80s zerkers only, joins with her zerker warrior (lvl 80), gets kicked right away for having just 2k achis (which are because she bought a separated account from mine just lately. We used to play together on mine) despite there was no mentioning for min achievements.
Morale of the story, never expect people to read, don’t expect people to stick to what they request and expect scum of every kind. And most of all! When you join a gearcheck team always claim the dude(s) who made the lfg tag their own armors as well because very likely they themselves do not match what they request and this is one thing that kittenes me off beyond belief.

\||||||/
O°v°O

Posted by: CuRtoKy.8576

CuRtoKy.8576

I’m sure it’s fun waiting 20 minutes to save 2 minutes to your run. If you’re pugging, why even opt to try and do it quickly when you can’t even monitor builds or gear?

Not really 20 minutes based on my experience. And isn’t two minutes most of my LFGs with for speedy runs I usually do multiple paths so it saves me a lot over the long run

Because at least you filter out some of the decent pugs out that actually read that what more casual runs or PTV/PTH stuff.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Back before I joined rT i filtered pugs. These days if I do pug, i dont see the point in filtering. Often the time taken to fill the group is too long to justify it. And even with a filtered group the run isnt going to be perfectly smooth/fast. Best to just go with what you get and only kick those that actually hinder progression. There really isnt much point in it when pugging. But everyone is free to do so if they wish.

Flissy.4093

Back before I joined rT i filtered pugs. These days if I do pug, i dont see the point in filtering. Often the time taken to fill the group is too long to justify it. And even with a filtered group the run isnt going to be perfectly smooth/fast. Best to just go with what you get and only kick those that actually hinder progression. There really isnt much point in it when pugging. But everyone is free to do so if they wish.

Kinda what I do now. I haven’t had a 5 man CM party in days ’cause horribad pugs. The only dungeons that are “safe” to PUG are the “train” ones, SE, COF etc. and Arah, but even then you usually have to go through about 4 different people before you get one who manages the ez-pz p3 trash skip.

Light Up the Darkness

antares.5916

Are you that guy from the CM run that told me to ease up on the “attitude” because I called out a few people? I wasnt complaining about damage as I solo’d 3 mobs whilst “the other 4 were slaughtered by 1 mob” I was complaining about the synergy :P especially when I am consistently last one alive who has to suicide so others can respawn.

but yea Reading is hard for quite a few people. 80 Only will consistently get lvl 30’s

Nope. Wasn’t me.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

PUGs man. I’d rather just not do dungeons than deal with players I don’t know.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: XPilo.5862

XPilo.5862

I want do a dungeon run group, but is hard because the time zones, but still a good idea if you have a regular dungeon group you avoid so many problems and you have a lot of fun plus make friends.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I actually get this sometimes, too. Little backstory: I run with pugs only. Too hectic a schedule to keep up with any guild schedules or requirements. And, as an exclusive pug runner, I don’t run meta builds that often, and for very good reason: Meta builds are “meta” for highly coordinated groups, who have predefined roles and operate under a set of tactics that aren’t achieved in standard play.

With pugs, you don’t get that kind of insurance. Will the group stack or scramble around at range? Does this group have appropriate gear, or they running around in greens? Is this group full of healers, or are they running DPS? Is this direct damage or condi damage? If they are new to the encounter, are they going to run ahead or hang back in timid fear? Does this group know how combo fields work, or is my might stacking on engi/ele a magic trick to them? Because of this, I have to run builds that opt for maximizing utility and having potent defenses, since I need to be capable of handling any situation that arises.

What annoys me is when players start demanding that I change my build and change my playstyle with no prior discussion on the matter. When I see an LFG that says “meta builds” I don’t join up, for obvious reason above. But as of late, I have been getting random pugs that will start demanding that I play my thief/ele a particular way, using particular weapons and a particular build, then kitten incessantly if I have to stop to change my whole loadout for their sake, or if I don’t run what they demand I do. And half of the time, their reasoning is completely wrong, such as demanding inappropriate weapons for sections, or saying that support skills are useless because they already have a dedicated tank/support player.

Thankfully I haven’t had one of them join my “all welcome” groups. Because if they did, I might make an exception and kick them.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

I feel for the op 100% people who don’t honor lfg descriptions suck. Last week I got instant kicked for being a ranger for the first time when the lfg asked for zerkers and didn’t ask for any specific class. I thought having 16k Ap would save me from the bearbow stereotype but guess not.

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I feel for the op 100% people who don’t honor lfg descriptions suck. Last week I got instant kicked for being a ranger for the first time when the lfg asked for zerkers and didn’t ask for any specific class. I thought having 16k Ap would save me from the bearbow stereotype but guess not.

when ads ask for zerk, (they also mean, no ranger/necro.—and in rare cases engies, just don’t join “zerk” only groups). sucks, wish people had to write a reason for kicking. and that it told you exactly who in the group started the kick, and who agreed.
(this would help with other issues, like kicks at endboss, or random in game)

maha.7902

People always say this, but whenever swiftpaw joins groups on her ranger she’s only ever come close to being kicked once, and then they recognised who she was.

I feel like some of these stories are just exaggerations or lies.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

People always say this, but whenever swiftpaw joins groups on her ranger she’s only ever come close to being kicked once, and then they recognised who she was.

Where’s swifty? I miss her Q.Q
– where and how

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

Where’s swifty? I miss her Q.Q
– where and how

need moar swifty

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

I had to put in a quick word for her when she joined my pug CoE run last night (someone was like “idk not sure about rangers”), but it quickly deescalated after.

Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

I joined a group that specifically “no rangers” even though it was berserker only. I joined anyways because if anyone is going to break the stereotype, it has to be good/decent non-bearbow rangers. Joined, pinged my sword and we proceeded through the run.

XacTactX.6709

I’m don’t have the benefit of being in a famous pve guild or being in the pve scene. I feel like you live in a bubble and should take other people’s words at face value instead of making baseless accusations.

we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Okay I don’t live in a bubble and I’ve never been kicked from my party for being on my ranger.

might be that I can play a ranger correctly in a dungeon though. It’s not like anyone recognizes the great Lilith Ajit on her namesake ranger or anything.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

Only time I have been kicked from my party for being a ranger thus far was an AC run where the team comp was a warrior ele and 2 other things (probably guard and something else) which they specifically asked for a warrior. I joined just to ask, why do you want a second warrior for AC? Surely, if anything, you would want an ele?

And that’s about it, maybe it helps that my ranger is called Mossman Junior and that brightens peoples day. Maybe if he were called pew pew Seamus or something people would kick instantly.

XacTactX.6709

Okay I don’t live in a bubble and I’ve never been kicked from my party for being on my ranger.

might be that I can play a ranger correctly in a dungeon though. It’s not like anyone recognizes the great Lilith Ajit on her namesake ranger or anything.

I got kicked 10 seconds after joining the party playing my class or dungeon well wouldn’t have made a difference.

Lilith Ajit.6173

I got kicked 10 seconds after joining the party playing my class or dungeon well wouldn’t have made a difference.

If they saw you load in with a bear and a bow I can understand the kick. ^^

But the issue here is actually pug perception. They think rangers are nerfed and they suck just like OP says. The fact is that they’re not nerfed or whatever… players are just… dumb.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

People are dumb. They kick you for being a ranger because they are dumb. I’d rather get kicked by that kind of people than convince them to take me and then run a dungeon with those dumb people.

Nova [rT]

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

But the issue here is actually pug perception. They think rangers are nerfed and they suck just like OP says. The fact is that they’re not nerfed or whatever… players are just… dumb.

The issue is really pug perception. But i’m not sure about ‘’they think rangers are nerfed’’. It feel strange that even if Necromancer are even worst than ranger in PvE, that its Rangers that got all the hate (or almost all the hate). I think that mainly 2 things explain that.

1) The Pets can be annoying not only the the player, but also for the party. In several occasion the pets get in the way and it need to be more closely manage by the player, which can be frustrating.
2) A lot of people get into Ranger for shooting a Bow. If they wanted too melee with a sword they would go for a for a Warrior or Guardian. Not on a ranger. So most new player, use bad weapons which is clearly visible for any player in their party.

The ranger is in a identity crisis. Anet build the ranger around the idea of a Arrow Shooting Hunter with his pet animal. But both of these 2 themes are bad in the game, which screw a lot of people.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Lilith Ajit.6173

I don’t really agree that rangers were built around bows. When I think ranger I think Aragorn. But meh. Semantics.

[ARES]

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I don’t really agree that rangers were built around bows. When I think ranger I think Aragorn. But meh. Semantics.

Was the class built around bows? No.
Does every person who first picks up this game think the class is built around bows? Yes.

ArenaNet screwed up with handling player expectations on this class, which leads to the problems with Rangers being excluded from group content.

Even people who played Rangers in GW1 would expect Rangers to be a bow class in GW2. I think that simply naming it “Strider” instead of Ranger would have done volumes in setting better expectations.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Thaddeus.4891

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/ranger/

There is nine image on this presentation page about ranger. The first one you see is with a bow, the 2 screenshot are with a bow. On the 6 screenshot you can see a weapon or a weapon skill on 4 of them and 2 of those are about a bow.

Here the Ranger presentation by Anet. :
‘’Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows. With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.’’

They talk about how ranger are so good with bow. No mentions of any other weapon. Google ‘’Rangers GW2’’ and look at image. Bow, Bow, Bow, Bow, no weapons, Bow, Bow, Bow, Bow, Bow, Bow, Bow, Bow, Bow, Greatsword, bow, bow, bow, bowwwwwwwwwwww.

Come one Lillith. Anet TOTALLY sold the Rangers as an archer, give me that.

Lilith Ajit.6173

gives Thaddeus whatever he wants

[ARES]

Thaddeus.4891

gives Thaddeus whatever he wants

YEAH. You can send the gold and precursors by mail, thank you.

Dave.2536

Even people who played Rangers in GW1 would expect Rangers to be a bow class in GW2.

With Expertise, rangers were very strong with hammers, axes, daggers, spears, and scythes in GW1.

At times and/or in some content they were stronger with those weapons than warriors, assassins, paragons, and dervishes were.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Even people who played Rangers in GW1 would expect Rangers to be a bow class in GW2.

With Expertise, rangers were very strong with hammers, axes, daggers, spears, and scythes in GW1.

At times and/or in some content they were stronger with those weapons than warriors, assassins, paragons, and dervishes were.

The point was that they were designed as a bow class, as their weapon skills were exclusively bow-related. GW1 allowed for some very creative class building which allowed players to find ways to do things that weren’t designed.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Flissy.4093

Even people who played Rangers in GW1 would expect Rangers to be a bow class in GW2. I think that simply naming it “Strider” instead of Ranger would have done volumes in setting better expectations.

“Wanderer” would have been better. That’s why it’s called a Ranger, roaming the plains.

Light Up the Darkness

Dave.2536

The point was that they were designed as a bow class, as their weapon skills were exclusively bow-related.

This is not how I saw it at all, so it is definitely news to me. Ranger was about far more than bows.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Secondary_class#Secondary_profession

Rangers had innate access to Marksmanship/Bow Mastery but any class in the game could access these skills as well.

The line-of-sight/melee meta was in place long before GW2 came out, and it meant bows defined rangers far less than other weapons defined the other classes. These are things that also come to mind when I think about GW1 rangers.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Pet
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Nature_ritual
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Trap
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Poison
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Cripple

GW1 allowed for some very creative class building which allowed players to find ways to do things that weren’t designed.

I’ll give you that (necro) touch skills were probably not designed, but I see all the other elements as working as intended (although a lot of it did get somewhat nerfed).

I honestly hope you don’t take this as semantics or devil’s advocate. I’m just offering the perspective of someone who did not see bows as defining the class in GW1.

I suspect we’re also getting way off topic, so I’m happy to further discuss this in PM or a related thread.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I never seem to have a problem with joining specific groups on the LFG. I will join groups that advertise Zerk only meta exp please and they never know I am not zerk or meta build, and somehow I never get kicked…

if people are kicking you because of your class you don’t want to play with them anyway. Rangers are NOT nerfed. I have consistently seen rangers solo Lupi in a bad group and always be the last one downed in tricky situations. People who hate on rangers are missing out.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

maha.7902

Why do you join zerk groups if you aren’t zerk?