Kick the ranger

Kick the ranger

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

I had a weird experience last night. It was late at night and i joined fractal lvl 15. I was on my ranger because i just finished world boss tour.

As i joined it took me 3 seconds to write: hi, i reroll sec

But they kicked me almost after 4 seconds then invite me back in because they actually read REROLL part.

I personally know how rangers can be bad in fractals since long bow max range in prefered for some reason, but i think it’s kind of unfair. What if a ranger is full zerk and plays…well anything else then long bow?

That kick on sight is kind of insulting. I’m just lucky that my main is ele not ranger because it would be a pain in the but to find a group for..well anything.

(edited by Oxidia.8103)

Kick the ranger

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

Not sure about fractals, but for normal dungeons (I run 2-3/day) I encounter an ‘able’ ranger about 1-2% of times. Maybe.
I play a thief, and I usually say ‘thx for no spotter / frost spirit, bb!’ at the end of the dungeon, so I would not get kicked for being a smart-kitten / etc.
Yes, I always pug.

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Gunsnroll.2657

Gunsnroll.2657

Rangers are great, but people who play ranger suck.
Most of the time you’ll get ranger without spotter or FS, and they will camp LB.
So yeah most of rangers will be kicked for that, the thing is, people don’t know ranger can be good, so they won’t bother checking if the ranger has a sword and the required utilities.

Kick the ranger

Posted by: zaw.6741

zaw.6741

Most of the time you’ll get ranger without spotter or FS, and they will camp LB.
So yeah most of rangers will be kicked for that, the thing is, people don’t know ranger can be good, so they won’t bother checking if the ranger has a sword and the required utilities.

aahh this LB stereotype..tell me..in what shortbow or mainhand axe are better? lb is actually good switch for cripple+vuln on fight start, then swap to sword (or even gs if you cant manage to stay alive on sword/whatever)

the biggest problem, that dont want to go away is warrior mentality. lfg is full of 3-4 warriors parties (when 2 is acceptable maximum, best 1 with 2 banners) that i dont even try to join, as its mostly disaster. and noone mentions this on forums

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Kaldrys.1978

Kaldrys.1978

Sounds like a group to avoid. Only thing worse than class discrimination is AP discrimination. TBH other classes have just as many clueless players but it’s not as readily evident. You got elementalists who don’t stack might, engineers who don’t vuln, guardians who don’t provide aegis or WOR, mesmers who don’t feedback, thieves who don’t stealth or blind, warriors who don’t bring banners, and necromancers. Thing is it’s easy to point out the longbow ranger sticking out like a sore thumb, but with the other classes it slips under the radar unless you’ve played them and know what they should bring.

Kick the ranger

Gunsnroll.2657

aahh this LB stereotype..tell me..in what shortbow or mainhand axe are better? lb is actually good switch for cripple+vuln on fight start, then swap to sword (or even gs if you cant manage to stay alive on sword/whatever)

the biggest problem, that dont want to go away is warrior mentality. lfg is full of 3-4 warriors parties (when 2 is acceptable maximum, best 1 with 2 banners) that i dont even try to join, as its mostly disaster. and noone mentions this on forums

Next time you want to argue with me, read what I said and don’t try to be a smart-kitten .
You only saw LB. When did I say LB was bad ?
I only said camping LB was bad. I even talked about sword.
LB is in the meta, but people don’t know how to use it.

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Aria.5940

Aria.5940

As a ranger main, I’d call it a feature :P

I have tried joining a fractal/dungeon group and getting either kicked instantly or asked to switch class, but it’s actually only less than 1% of groups or something like that (happened twice for me. Was asked to switch class for 1 Arah path and was kicked from a low lvl fractal before start once). At least as a ranger, if they dislike rangers, you get a kick before start, so you avoid the trouble of wasting time only to get kicked near end bosses.

That said, it can be a bit sad sometimes. Personally I think the worst thing is having a warrior ask why you bring a ranger to the dungeon at all.

(edited by Aria.5940)

Kick the ranger

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Back when i pugged i got kicked for being an ele, because they wanted a 4th warrior, so don’t worry.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

I think I’m with deSade that playing ranger in Fractal is. not. fun. at all. No matter how experienced you are, the sword roots you and you won’t be able to stay at max melee range when you need it. Not to mention flying off the spot every time.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Hey, I remember reading quickly a calculation of ranger DPS compared to other classes after patch and iirc it was pretty decent now? I have been looking for said thread/calculation, even googling but couldn’t find it, so at what position was Ranger now?

9 Guardians later…

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I want to like rangers. I take my ranger around open world PvE but I don’t take my ranger into fractals. Many of my worst fractal runs seem to have involved rangers. Mid level fractals with 2 rangers have been awful. Just saying.

Kick the ranger

Gunsnroll.2657

Hey, I remember reading quickly a calculation of ranger DPS compared to other classes after patch and iirc it was pretty decent now? I have been looking for said thread/calculation, even googling but couldn’t find it, so at what position was Ranger now?

They have a pretty decent DPS, you can check there : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bAcpwAdwB24CxK_Ziy8ygISUHCkQepLfRMh2_PtP52o/edit#gid=1883199869
It’s from DnT, this is before the FGS nerf, but calculations were made without it, so they are still up to date I guess.
And rangers are in a good position now, some speedrun guilds use them in every teams.
The thing is, as I said earlier, pugs don’t know how good a ranger in a team is, so no matter how good of a ranger you are, there will be always people thinking you are bad because you are a ranger, and most of them will be staff guardians and camping GS warriors, how ironic

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Tierce.5370

Tierce.5370

I believe Nike still views DeKeyz’s spreadsheet calculations linked by Gunsnroll above as current since he referred to them in this individual class DPS Reddit post (Sept. 17, 2014). Nike adds that these are rough estimates in an organized dungeon group, and that team buffs are more important than individual DPS.

On a related note, for uncoordinated groups, ranger can not only provide an increased damage boost with Frostspotter, they can give protection, regen, swiftness, might, and fury through pets, spirits, and offhand warhorn. Rangers don’t need to rely entirely on fields being in the right place to apply decent boons to a party.

Oxidia—ranger players often prefer max range because we get higher individual damage by standing further away, like mesmer greatsword. If I’m not mistaken, however, longbow has been buffed so its damage is comparable to greatsword even in melee range, though it’s single target. As an aside, one of the best things about longbow is being able to reapply vulnerability on a boss very quickly.

That said, getting kicked straightaway while playing ranger has happened to me a few times. Yes, it’s rude but what can I do aside from take solace in the fact that (a) I know what I’m doing most of the time and (b) my other main is a might-fury-stacking, icebow-LH-spamming elementalist. Most people I’ve encountered in PUGs have been courteous to my ranger anyway. Can’t take it personally. Thanks for being a little indignant on behalf of rangers.

(edited by Tierce.5370)

Kick the ranger

Gunsnroll.2657

Yeah LB is now on the DPS rotation, instead of GS. RApid fire and barrage got an increased speed so they’re good to use at the start of the fight, before swapping to S/A.

Kick the ranger

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

No he said they will CAMP lb. He never said lb is bad but camping lb is certainly the worst thing you can do.

Personally even if I join zerker runs on the lfg and a ranger joins they will be full zerker but they’ll camp lb and have a bear. I tell them to bring spotter and frost spirit and to get rid of the kitten bear and they ignore me saying something stupid like “bear has more health so it survives better”.

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I was in a party for level 10 fractals recently, and the moment a ranger joined, they kicked him. I immediately told them that they were not the kind of players that I wanted to play with, and left the party willingly.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Kick the ranger

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Im sure they were heartbroken

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Good Rangers can bring a lot to the group. People don’t realize it because Bearbow has already made a bad name for Rangers

Kick the ranger

Posted by: warduke.1780

warduke.1780

“The required utilities” – required? Who requires it? Last I checked, people can play their class any way they like. Don’t try to be an elitist in a casual game, kthx.

Kick the ranger

Oxidia.8103

I joined fractals 10 just for kicks waiting for my hair dye to sit on my hair, asuran fractal end boss, 3 warrs, ranger and me ele. End boss, harpy path. One charr warrior couldn’t do the jumping part kept falling down. Me and ranger made it to the boss, then he kicked the charr warrior because he was having trouble jumping, then even there was only two of us, he started a boss. I managed to kill all four of golems, but once all four came alive the two of us wiped. Then i asked: what the hell man? Why start the boss with 3 people in the party, ehy are you kicking people?

Then loading screen. But you know what?

I’m not even mad. He’ll get what he deserves.

I feel a certain hostility from every ranger in dungeon or fractals no matter what lvl. Maybe it’s just me, i dunno.

Kick the ranger

Gunsnroll.2657

“The required utilities” – required? Who requires it? Last I checked, people can play their class any way they like. Don’t try to be an elitist in a casual game, kthx.

A ranger without spotter or FS is the same as a warrior without banner, a guard without a wall, and a mesmer without feedback and TW.
It’s not about being elitist, it’s about being useful to the team.
A ranger can play nomad, same as thief, but they will be useless.
Don’t try to be special, kthx.

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Tierce.5370

Tierce.5370

Oxidia- Didn’t the Oct. 21 patch change kick threshold to 50% so you need three people (the initiator and two others) to kick in a full party? Sorry to hear about the bad experience. Maybe that player would have been obnoxious no matter what class they were playing.

A word on brown bear: as a secondary pet it can be a decoy, projectile blocker, body blocker, and additional AoE condition removal. This can be important in a chaotic situation where mobs are slow to die, nobody’s removing conditions, or reflects are nonexistent or projectiles are unblockable.

I’m aware that the majority of ranger players don’t use bears as anything but “set and forget” pets but there you go. The legend of bearbow continues.

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

Just seemed appropriate for this thread. Some lovin’ for Bearbows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qjRFYu2Gcs

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

A ranger without spotter or FS is the same as a warrior without banner, a guard without a wall, and a mesmer without feedback and TW.

A warrior without banners can trait Phalanx and give everyone 25 might just with 1 skill of his greatsword (either whirlwind or 100blades). It takes 1-2 seconds and can be done at every single pull of enemies ane every 8 seconds, making fire-blasting or other might-stacking skills useless. Other players can just focus on different skills or utilities because they won’t ever need to build up might, the warrior alone would give 25 stacks and maintain it for everyone while the fight lasts.

What is wrong is the fact that some people choose for you what team skills you should use instead of the ones that you think it will be better for the group (as example you just said warriors without banners are useless, even if i just proved how wrong that statement is). In my opinnion Phalanx > Banners 90% of the times. You won’t have maximum warrior DPS but you will make everyone else have a lot more damage than you could ever do alone with different traits.

What is even greater about this build is that phalanx won’t show anywhere. You can’t know if the warrior next to you is traited for that because you don’t see a signet/buff/weapon/anything. Kicking a warrior because you don’t know what his traits are would be incredibly stupid (I hope to not offend anyone). Now change all that I said about warriors for any other proffesion and you will probably find a new game.

By the way, same a guardian wall can block all projectiles, a necromancer with his darkness whell can block all melee hits. I never dare to go to fractal lvl 50 without a good necro in my team. Even level 43 or 33 would be harder without one necromancer.

TL;DR You should never judge anyone just because of the skills they choose to bring to a battle.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en espaƱol / Spanish raiding guides

(edited by Elrey.5472)

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

A warrior without banners can trait Phalanx and give everyone 25 might just with 1 skill of his greatsword (either whirlwind or 100blades). It takes 1-2 seconds and can be done at every single pull of enemies ane every 8 seconds, making fire-blasting or other might-stacking skills useless. Other players can just focus on different skills or utilities because they won’t ever need to build up might, the warrior alone would give 25 stacks and maintain it for everyone while the fight lasts.

What is wrong is the fact that some people choose for you what team skills you should use instead of the ones that you think it will be better for the group (as example you just said warriors without banners are useless, even if i just proved how wrong that statement is). In my opinnion Phalanx > Banners 90% of the times. You won’t have maximum warrior DPS but you will make everyone else have a lot more damage than you could ever do alone with different traits.

What is even greater about this build is that phalanx won’t show anywhere. You can’t know if the warrior next to you is traited for that because you don’t see a signet/buff/weapon/anything. Kicking a warrior because you don’t know what his traits are would be incredibly stupid (I hope to not offend anyone). Now change all that I said about warriors for any other proffesion and you will probably find a new game.

By the way, same a guardian wall can block all projectiles, a necromancer with his darkness whell can block all melee hits. I never dare to go to fractal lvl 50 without a good necro in my team. Even level 43 or 33 would be harder without one necromancer.

TL;DR You should never judge anyone just because of the skills they choose to bring to a battle.

10/10 best post of the day.

Kick the ranger

DonQuack.9025

a dash bit of exagg but for the most part okish
assuming party actually does reasonable damage itself

Kick the ranger

oxtred.7658

You can spot a warrior phalanx with empower allies and the swiftness duration from warhorn and signet of rage. IF it’s longer than usual, it means 30% boon duration from tactics. Sorry.

Kick the ranger

DonQuack.9025

or runes of the pack.

Kick the ranger

oxtred.7658

I kick runes of the pack. :/

Kick the ranger

Posted by: pandas.9450

pandas.9450

Sadly true, seems like rangers are the most i have 2nd to kick just because they fail to control their pets and not even bother to do something about it

Kick the ranger

Gunsnroll.2657

If you can’t spot a PS warrior, I’m sorry for you.
Yes PS warrior is good, I was just making a point. And still, a PS warrior should bring banner. Why in the world a warrior shouldnt bring dps boost to the team with banners ?
All the speedrun team don’t bring a necro for a reason, if you think you need a necro, there is something wrong with you. Or maybe it’s because you run with a clerir guardian who can’t use aegis.
And I will keep judging people by the skills they use, it works everytime, a good warrior will always bring banners, a good ranger will always get spotter and FS, I don’t care if they are min maxing or just decent, but the line between bad player who doesnt care about the group and decent player who wants to help is clearly visible.

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Shinki.8045

Shinki.8045

I’ve been running Fractals like crazy since AR was capped at 35. In that time I have nearly exclusively PUGed. I can count on one hand the number of times I had a Ranger join a Fractals 38 (before Fractured) or 50 (post Fractured) that didn’t blatantly get carried, Bearbow, Ragequit at a hard boss or get kicked for holding the rest of the group back.

In fact, there were 2 good rangers. The first one managed to heal the team up without the 99% trick at Maw pre-fractured with spirit tricks and blasting healing spring. The second was a melee spirit ranger, and that group was less of a pug and more of a finely tuned Killdozer.

At 50 I honestly assume that if a Ranger joins then they’re going to quit at Swamp because they don’t have the AR. And if they max range longbow Bloomy I end up hoping they’ll quit.

Also:

Well, now I’ve read everything.

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Back when they haven’t fixed the dredge fractals, necro was so so good to have in a group.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Kick the ranger

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

:o

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

Ranger is awesome, period. Yes, it’s true that I see plenty of bad rangers who don’t know what they’re doing, but I also see plenty of bad warriors, guardians and so on…

I main a ranger and I do fractals once in a while (level 46 at the moment) and I’ll tell you ranger is a perfectly good class for fractals or any sort of PvE.
The thing is, people who never read patch notes or blog news posts will always live in the past, and will always have a stereotype against necros, rangers or whatever.

Kick the ranger

Oxidia.8103

But the catch is: bad warrior or guardian is still better then a bad ranger or a bad necro. My personal opinion.

Kick the ranger

deSade.9437

But the catch is: bad warrior or guardian is still better then a bad ranger or a bad necro. My personal opinion.

No, it doesn’t work like that. You should know by now. Unless you have a very weird definition of “bad”…

Kick the ranger

deSade.9437

Excuse me for the spam, just checking if I got any flood control. You know, the usual “Your post was deleted because it was a reply to a deleted post, nothing is gonna happen to your account but BAM HERE’S YOUR 2 HOURS FLOOD CONTROL”.

I don’t know, I find ranger in fractals to be a very frustrating class to play. I prefer it in dungeons.

Kick the ranger

Oxidia.8103

No, it doesn’t work like that. You should know by now. Unless you have a very weird definition of “bad”…

Actually it does. I have seen some really bad warriors but at least they are trying, dropping a few banners and few hundred blades, still tons better then 1200 ranged ranger and a pet that aggroes every single thing in the dungeon then dies 40 times.

With bad guard, he still sometimes remembers to put up a wall or might the party, still better then staff necro who spawns aoe 24/7.

Kick the ranger

deSade.9437

Nah. I’d rather have them stay out of my way at 1200 range and die on their own, instead of having a kittened warrior dancing tip-tap and running around me in melee with its hammer. Let’s not even begin with 4 sigils/condi burning guardian…
If a player is bad… bad. Just bad. /kick
But hey, if you can stand seeing a warrior with banner of defense without your eyes explodin’, be my guest. I’ll take the bearbow, at least I can’t see it.

Kick the ranger

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

I’ll take the bearbow, at least I can’t see it.

Until point blank shot xD

Kick the ranger

deSade.9437

I’ll take the bearbow, at least I can’t see it.

Until point blank shot xD

I strongly suspect that’s the main cause (together with gs on mesmer) of insanity among elitists.
But then again, I’m already insane.