LFG: How to make people respect the lfg-text

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: sorenrye.7238

sorenrye.7238

Can we report people that joins an LFG and ignores the lfg description? Fx report them for scamming. And if we do, will Anet do anything about it?

Can we report people that create an LFG and obviously cant/wont do what they themselves advertised?

Often you have to kick/recreate lfg so many times, that you get ‘excessive chat messaging’, which punishes you and not the people abusing the LFG – which is kinda ironic.

Posted by: Ariete The Phoenix.8276

Ariete The Phoenix.8276

how about if you write this: LEET360NOSCOPEXXOMGWTFTROLLLOLBTWGGNORE “insert path” , write “insert random word here” @ join or kick.

Legit kick, no report needed and if someone whispers you with: scumbag, why kick/you will never fill your party/what did I do wrong/y u hate “insert class” so much or something like that, tell them… L2Read.

Give a countdown of the kick so they are aware of the write “word” at join.

Also known as Liahm Lee

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

Or, you could do what Liahm and I did a couple months back: Put a math problem in the lfg. If they can’t solve it, kick ’em.

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

You have the power to enforce it, kick the offenders.

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

Make the join group button part of the lfg text and don’t underline or change the color so people have to mouse over the text and find it.

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Just enable adding “Requirements” to the group, meaning you can set your expectations beforehand (for example, class, achievement points, level etc) and only players who fulfill those requirements can join.
It’s not a necessary addition IMO, but the LFG tool is still in beta and they would make things easier for some people, so…

Posted by: Miaire.5468

Miaire.5468

How about a new feature, locked LFG posts.

Then you can write the password on the description:
self-join, password is bowbear

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

I try and be witty with my lfg post and/or try to make it sound as though im in the street trying to sell it to anyone

Posted by: Jiyn.3158

Jiyn.3158

Or, you could do what Liahm and I did a couple months back: Put a math problem in the lfg. If they can’t solve it, kick ’em.

I do math problems with my lfgs also. It’s funny when they go “wait, give me a minute”

Never trust a Stormcrow.

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

READ P[insert number here] [insert any other pertinent info, like “MELEE LUPI”] Answer on join: [Insert math problem]

I was advised by a friend that order of operations messes up people who are otherwise very bad at the game. It mostly works. Something like 5^2-2^2 ought to be sufficient. You’ve now excluded everyone who can’t or doesn’t read, or who doesn’t have a high school or better (or in some countries, middle school) education, or that they know how to use google/some similar tool to solve the problem for them. Even when these people turn out to be bad at the game, explaining that they’re bad and how to fix it is surprisingly effective. If you’re feeling especially selective, use something more advanced like Euler’s identity, or the definition of “e”, or some simple integration.

You need a friend in the group who will quickly second your kicks. Depending on how charitable you’re feeling (how desperate you are), you may need to repeat the question in chat, or prompt them to read the LFG, because actually reading stuff is very difficult or something.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Meh, maths sucks. kitten that and all the arrogance. I’d rather post something quirky, ironic or heavily sarcastic to see if people who join have a sense of humour – good indicator of a working brain. As of now it’s worked wonders. They were either good at the game – and talkative – or bad but sooooo incredibly funny and friendly.
The others that didn’t want to conform just quit when we told them we were serious in enforcing pink dyes only. I guess we hurt their little feelings, that’s why they didn’t bother us further.
In any case, a swift kick is the cure. They can’t possibly go like “I dye how I want!” or “But you need to help me pick the right dyes!” amirite.

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

requirements and at the end a simple: link aqua breather or kick

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

READ P[insert number here] [insert any other pertinent info, like “MELEE LUPI”] Answer on join: [Insert math problem]

I was advised by a friend that order of operations messes up people who are otherwise very bad at the game. It mostly works. Something like 5^2-2^2 ought to be sufficient. You’ve now excluded everyone who can’t or doesn’t read, or who doesn’t have a high school or better (or in some countries, middle school) education, or that they know how to use google/some similar tool to solve the problem for them.

I’m so glad that people are actually doing this too now. Since a few months back i started using this and it proved to be highly effective in sorting out terribads and told my buddies to do this too, though i usually just put really easy problems like 5+5*5 or something similar.

And yeah, you’re definitely going to want to have a buddy to second your kicks. Otherwise you’ll most likely just end up leaving your own group because of BHBs and PHIWs filling it up without reading or anything.

Another upside to this is you often get angry people whispering you for kicking them because they didn’t answer the math problem right and tell you “l2math” or other angry stuff.

…But most of the time i don’t bother gearchecking or anything and just join random pugs anyways for the hell of it.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

(edited by hendo.1940)

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

I usually just put “pX” and that’s it. I don’t care about who gets into the group cause when I am pugging I am not expecting to do a tour so I am not going to waste 10mins waiting for the right people. Plus if you can solo the said paths/ X bosses, you can just carry really bad pugs.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I usually just put “pX” and that’s it. I don’t care about who gets into the group cause when I am pugging I am not expecting to do a tour so I am not going to waste 10mins waiting for the right people. Plus if you can solo the said paths/ X bosses, you can just carry really bad pugs.

I’m normally with you on this, but just recently I’ve had some terrible luck. The only thing I NEED them to be able to do is interact with things when asked, IE the panels at the security room in COE…I’ve had more than I’d ever thought possible screwing that up.

Still I’d just label it that myself, but I have no problem with my teammates putting whatever requirements now, it’s just frustrating when people can’t listen to simple directions.

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

I’m normally with you on this, but just recently I’ve had some terrible luck. The only thing I NEED them to be able to do is interact with things when asked, IE the panels at the security room in COE…I’ve had more than I’d ever thought possible screwing that up.

Still I’d just label it that myself, but I have no problem with my teammates putting whatever requirements now, it’s just frustrating when people can’t listen to simple directions.

The console in the golem room. shivers That is where language barriers/people steadfastly ignoring the chat can really make you cry.
throws pink quaggan plushies at Jerus for dragging up those memories

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

Jerus.4350

The console in the golem room. shivers That is where language barriers/people steadfastly ignoring the chat can really make you cry.
throws pink quaggan plushies at Jerus for dragging up those memories

My buddy linked this to me the other day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP3KFy8Yl6E
“They have a build in, in game chat for you to use, I know!… Who put that there?!”

EcoRI.9273

That’s why i do p3/2/1 coe in that order, if i know my teammates are competent and are engaging in chat during p3/2, I will do 1 with them, otherwise I just tell them I’m done and leave after p2.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Yeah, those usually end like this. The math was 2+3x2.

Attachments:

Jerus.4350

Guardians are not known for their intelligence.

Order of Operations is so much fun!

EcoRI, that’s a good idea, one problem I’ve been having lately though is I can’t seem to do 2 paths of COE in a row, every time we get out it’s in a fresh megaserver map and we have to open it again… yay ANet!

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Yeah, those usually end like this. The math was 2+3x2.

I’m going to do the same thing as this, but make the problem:

“Integrate sec(x).”

Gl pugs.

EcoRI.9273

I’m sure Doublelift from CLG would get 2+3*2 wrong and that guy is the best AD carry in NA lawl. Btw for you elitists: what is 9÷3*3 ? After you answer I shall ask a follow question.

(edited by EcoRI.9273)

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

I’ll bite. As written, 9 / 3 * 3 = 9

EcoRI.9273

Ok the answer is 9 because you know P E (MD) (AS) correct?

Jerus.4350

I’m sure Doublelift from CLG would get 2+3*2 wrong and that guy is the best AD carry in NA lawl. Btw for you elitists: what is 9÷3*3 ? After you answer I shall ask a follow question.

Gonna have to agree with dlonie here unless there is some trickery with the formatting of that division symbol, which has me asking you… how do you type that?

EcoRI.9273

Gonna have to agree with dlonie here unless there is some trickery with the formatting of that division symbol, which has me asking you… how do you type that?

the answer is 9 there is no trickery lol

deSade.9437

So if you’re bad at math=an idiot? No, not talking about extremely simple things like 3-3×2 or something.
Why are “science” people so irritating?

dlonie.6547

Yup. Similar the the Greatest Guard math fail above.

EcoRI.9273

Ok so here is the trick question: what is 9/3(3)? and why.
Anyways the point I’m trying to get at is asking some1 to do pemdas is pretty dump. There are smart people in this world that can’t do math, this game does not require math. You don’t need to be smart to be good at games. i mean: i dun even know mah grammar fo realz and im pretty good at this game if some pug starts asking me grammar kittens i be kicked.

(edited by EcoRI.9273)

dlonie.6547

So if you’re bad at math=an idiot? No, not talking about extremely simple things like 3-3×2 or something.

It’s a better measure than AP checks :P

Personally, I think just something that just shows they read the LFG is best (“say ‘purple lupi dong’ on join or kick”), but order-of-operations trolling does sound fun

Or give them another shot at the math after asking them to remember to excuse Aunt Sally first.

dlonie.6547

Ok so here is the trick question: what is 9/3(3)? and why

Still 9. The parenthesis bit only refers to the expression inside of them, not the expression that contains it. (The above is the same as (9)/(3)*(3))

EcoRI.9273

Still 9. The parenthesis bit only refers to the expression inside of them, not the expression that contains it. (The above is the same as (9)/(3)*(3))

its not 9 its one, pemdas has a hidden rule(maybe more?) which its juxtaposition the answer is 1, Most people don"t know this.

dlonie.6547

it’s not 9 its one, pemdas has a hidden rule(maybe more?) which is juxtaposition. the answer is 1. Most people don’t know this.

This smells like BS. Got a reference?

Jerus.4350

Not knowing integrals is fine, not knowing PEMDAS is kinda like that show “are you smarter than a 5th grader” if you get it wrong you should at least feel silly for forgetting what you learned in school.

And why are we irritating? because sometimes we have to poke fun. I still love telling people who I help with computer problems that it was a ID 10 T error, or PEBKAC

EcoRI.9273

it’s not 9 its one, pemdas has a hidden rule(maybe more?) which is juxtaposition. the answer is 1. Most people don’t know this.

google “math juxtaposition” and prepare to have your mind blown

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

its not 9 its one, pemdas has a hidden rule(maybe more?) which its juxtaposition the answer is 1, Most people don"t know this.

wolfram alpha disagrees with you.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=9%2F3%283%29

as does google.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=9%2F3

as does the built in calculator in my ubuntu & windows 7 installations along with the scientific calculator on my phone.

For the answer to be 1 the expression would have to be 9/(3*3) or 9/3^2

EcoRI.9273

as does google.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=9%2F3

as does the built in calculator in my ubuntu & windows 7 installations along with the scientific calculator on my phone.

what if I told you that computer programs are written by humans? And what if I told you that the human who wrote it only knew PEMDAS?

(edited by EcoRI.9273)

Posted by: JasmineLong.6514

JasmineLong.6514

as does google.

Guess Eco won’t even be able to play with himself in an lfg

EcoRI.9273

as does google.

Guess Eco won’t even be able to play with himself in an lfg

What is your opinion of the guardian who got the answer wrong in the picture above?

Jerus.4350

as does google.

what if I told you that computer programs are written by humans? And what if I told you that the human who wrote it only knew PEMDAS?

That kinda defeats the purpose of standards. 2+2 = 4 only because we all agree on what 2 and 4 represent. Labels and decisions are only valid because we all agree to it. Trick rules that most people don’t know kinda throw a wrench in the whole system.

This situation you’re proposing kinda sounds like the GIF vs JIF pronunciation of .gif. The creator supposedly intended JIF, but everyone called it GIF, you can go around calling it a JIF but I’m just gonna think of peanut butter if you do.

deSade.9437

Not knowing integrals is fine, not knowing PEMDAS is kinda like that show “are you smarter than a 5th grader” if you get it wrong you should at least feel silly for forgetting what you learned in school.

And why are we irritating? because sometimes we have to poke fun. I still love telling people who I help with computer problems that it was a ID 10 T error, or PEBKAC

Ghhh, more irritating than philosophers of metaphysics or of morals. And I thought there was nothing more irritating than them.
The ones of philosophy of law/right are very irritating aswell. Mr. knowsall.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

It’s still 9. I have no idea what you want to accomplish with this.

EcoRI.9273

as does google.

That kinda defeats the purpose of standards. 2+2 = 4 only because we all agree on what 2 and 4 represent. Labels and decisions are only valid because we all agree to it. Trick rules that most people don’t know kinda throw a wrench in the whole system.

This situation you’re proposing kinda sounds like the GIF vs JIF pronunciation of .gif. The creator supposedly intended JIF, but everyone called it GIF, you can go around calling it a JIF but I’m just gonna think of peanut butter if you do.

Some one who doesn’t know PEMDAS does not mean he is dumb. There are people who have graduated from college that play this game and have not used PEMDAS for well over 10years. They can forget this type of stuff. Asking some1 PEMDAS is not a standard.

EcoRI.9273

It’s still 9. I have no idea what you want to accomplish with this.

And why is it 9? And what is your opinion on the guardian who you kicked when he failed PEMDAS?

dlonie.6547

I looked at a reference from Berkeley that calls such expressions “ambiguous”, but I’d have to disagree. A number next to a parenthesis is an implied multiplication, and can simply follow the standard order of operations. I fail to see how such an expression is at all ambiguous.

Seems like one of those rough edges that pop up once in a while but are quickly sanded down, like the genious who figured out how to solve all of the worlds problems by relabeling NaN (check out the link if you’re a math/CS nerd, the man’s hubris is hilarious).

Still — good job, I’d never heard of that particular digression from common sense before :P Still say it sounds like someone got stoned, confused, and wrote a paper about a problem that doesn’t exist :-)

dlonie.6547

Ghhh, more irritating than philosophers of metaphysics or of morals. And I thought there was nothing more irritating than them.

Awwww, but your namesake was a fascinating philosopher wrt morality

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

as does google.

What if I told you that simply omitting the multiplication symbol is just shorthand and does not actually change the equation.

This was a fairly hot item in the math world for a bit but it is just running out of steam lately. Your interpretation is ambiguous. The equation as written above 9/3(3) is 9. To get the result to equal 1 unambiguously it needs to be rewritten to 9/(3(3)) which would be a silly use of parentheses or 9/(3*3) or some variation.

Posted by: raethe.1903

raethe.1903

In the pugs I’ve been building lately, I’ve started asking people to tell us a joke. The nice thing about this is that even if the joke isn’t funny, it tells you quite a bit about the person who joined.

I met someone last night that told a joke about 3 logicians and it made me laugh, but at least two of my guildies on TS went “what? I don’t get it.” =/

Jerus.4350

The ones of philosophy of law/right are very irritating aswell. Mr. knowsall.

I’m far from Mr Knowsall, but I find good hearted teasing to be fun and sometime very informative. Personally I’ve been teased about my grammar in the past, and sometimes still, but I just laugh and try to remember it for the next time.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

Hmmm it’s a slightly grey area to be able to report someone for this. It would get abused. You require ‘experienced’ players for your run, but how you define that might be different from someone else. You might want flawless speed clear experienced, or you might just want people who know the route of the path and the boss mechanics. If someone dies once or twice, some people might report that for joining an experienced group when you’re not ‘experienced’ even though everyone dies sometimes.

It does annoy me though when people ignore the requirements for a group. I have a hard time kicking people, so feel really bad when I have to do it. But I’m not sure you can have a report (and therefore ban) system for ignorance though. If they start getting nasty though, then you can report them for verbal abuse I guess.

| Lithia |