Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Just ask what’s 1/0.

LFG: How to make people respect the lfg-text

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I’ll bite. As written, 9 / 3 * 3 = 9

Ok the answer is 9 because you know P E (MD) (AS) correct?

Yup. Similar the the Greatest Guard math fail above.

Ok so here is the trick question: what is 9/3(3)? and why

Still 9. The parenthesis bit only refers to the expression inside of them, not the expression that contains it. (The above is the same as (9)/(3)*(3))

its not 9 its one, pemdas has a hidden rule(maybe more?) which its juxtaposition the answer is 1, Most people don"t know this.

wolfram alpha disagrees with you.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=9%2F3%283%29

as does google.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=9%2F3

as does the built in calculator in my ubuntu & windows 7 installations along with the scientific calculator on my phone.

For the answer to be 1 the expression would have to be 9/(3*3) or 9/3^2

what if I told you that computer programs are written by humans? And what if I told you that the human who wrote it only knew PEMDAS?

That kinda defeats the purpose of standards. 2+2 = 4 only because we all agree on what 2 and 4 represent. Labels and decisions are only valid because we all agree to it. Trick rules that most people don’t know kinda throw a wrench in the whole system.

This situation you’re proposing kinda sounds like the GIF vs JIF pronunciation of .gif. The creator supposedly intended JIF, but everyone called it GIF, you can go around calling it a JIF but I’m just gonna think of peanut butter if you do.

Some one who doesn’t know PEMDAS does not mean he is dumb. There are people who have graduated from college that play this game and have not used PEMDAS for well over 10years. They can forget this type of stuff. Asking some1 PEMDAS is not a standard.

Please go quote where I said they were. I’ll say what I said again, it’s like the “are you smarter than a 5th grader” at some point you wer taught it in school, so you should feel a little silly if you mess it up is all. Same as when they ask about cumulonimbus clouds on that TV show, hell if I can remember (well actually pretty sure those are the big fluffy ones?).

Jerus.4350

In the pugs I’ve been building lately, I’ve started asking people to tell us a joke. The nice thing about this is that even if the joke isn’t funny, it tells you quite a bit about the person who joined.

I met someone last night that told a joke about 3 logicians and it made me laugh, but at least two of my guildies on TS went “what? I don’t get it.” =/

This and “must wear a funny hat” seem like the best options to me.

Though I told a chemistry joke the other day and there was no reaction…

Posted by: JasmineLong.6514

JasmineLong.6514

Still 9. The parenthesis bit only refers to the expression inside of them, not the expression that contains it. (The above is the same as (9)/(3)*(3))

its not 9 its one, pemdas has a hidden rule(maybe more?) which its juxtaposition the answer is 1, Most people don"t know this.

as does google.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=9%2F3

as does the built in calculator in my ubuntu & windows 7 installations along with the scientific calculator on my phone.

Guess Eco won’t even be able to play with himself in an lfg

What is your opinion of the guardian who got the answer wrong in the picture above?

Lrn2Math followed by a /kick

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

as does google.

what if I told you that computer programs are written by humans? And what if I told you that the human who wrote it only knew PEMDAS?

What if I told you that simply omitting the multiplication symbol is just shorthand and does not actually change the equation.

This was a fairly hot item in the math world for a bit but it is just running out of steam lately. Your interpretation is ambiguous. The equation as written above 9/3(3) is 9. To get the result to equal 1 unambiguously it needs to be rewritten to 9/(3(3)) which would be a silly use of parentheses or 9/(3*3) or some variation.

ok then, what is
a/bc

where a = 9;
b = 3
c =3;

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Its BIDMAS.

Which is why its 9. Anyway this is a pointless discussion.

Jerus.4350

as does google.

What if I told you that simply omitting the multiplication symbol is just shorthand and does not actually change the equation.

This was a fairly hot item in the math world for a bit but it is just running out of steam lately. Your interpretation is ambiguous. The equation as written above 9/3(3) is 9. To get the result to equal 1 unambiguously it needs to be rewritten to 9/(3(3)) which would be a silly use of parentheses or 9/(3*3) or some variation.

ok then, what is
a/bc

where a = 9;
b = 3
c =3;

I’d still say 9, but If I were to have had that on a test in school I’d be handing it in and jokingly calling the teacher evil fully accepting that I could be wrong on that problem.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Ghhh, more irritating than philosophers of metaphysics or of morals. And I thought there was nothing more irritating than them.

Awwww, but your namesake was a fascinating philosopher wrt morality

He wasn’t really one of those mummies that haunt the universities as of today. You’d start hating philosophers too.

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

Seriously, guys.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

as does google.

ok then, what is
a/bc

where a = 9;
b = 3
c =3;

Still 9.

What this is actually writing is Nine divided by 3 multiplied by 3. Short hand or variables don’t change the evaluation, they just make it easier to read.

Posted by: JasmineLong.6514

JasmineLong.6514

Seriously, guys.

Math Wars 2

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

I math how I want.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

as does google.

ok then, what is
a/bc

where a = 9;
b = 3
c =3;

Still 9.

What this is actually writing is Nine divided by 3 multiplied by 3. Short hand or variables don’t change the evaluation, they just make it easier to read.

sometimes, I want to say bc doesnt exist.

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

Or, you could do what Liahm and I did a couple months back: Put a math problem in the lfg. If they can’t solve it, kick ’em.

Yeah, those usually end like this. The math was 2+3x2.

He’s the greatest.

… I had to.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

So if you’re bad at math=an idiot? No, not talking about extremely simple things like 3-3×2 or something.
Why are “science” people so irritating?

It’s a better measure than AP checks :P

Personally, I think just something that just shows they read the LFG is best (“say ‘purple lupi dong’ on join or kick”), but order-of-operations trolling does sound fun

Or give them another shot at the math after asking them to remember to excuse Aunt Sally first.

PURPLE LUPI?! :O

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Not all of Lupi.

Just the tip.

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

So last night I joined “coe all paths, zerker experienced”, I suggested that we do p3 first. One of the guys was like p1 first and they all proceeded to follow along. Needless to say they failed golem panel hardcore to which I made my smirk remark “this is why i wanted to do p1 last lol” anyways moments later the guy who wanted p1 first left and killed the instance, and also they were definitely not zerker.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Posted by: Flea Exercise.5098

Flea Exercise.5098

Putting an integral of sec(x) would just yield some fellas who actually know math or know about wolfram alpha. Which is nice but the test is too niche nevertheless, imo. What if I asked in a lfg message “how many adjuncts arguments a predicate ‘exploited’ has?”

By the way, “log(sin(x/2) + cos(x/2)) – log(cos(x/2) – sin(x/2)) + C” is a hella long answer.

PS. Yesterday night I tried to gather a PUG using a message which looked like “bearbows, halfwits, illiterate people and jerks only”. Well, needless to say, I got a mentally challenged warrior, a jerk, an illiterate and a necro.

[ZDs]

(edited by Flea Exercise.5098)

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

If I ever put up an LFG that’s really goofy like “P3 must be an idiot irl and lure trash mobs in full WvW build” I’ll typically get people that are good, sometimes people that know me and are on my contacts list… whereas if I put something like “P3 full DPS gearcheck no amateurs allowed” I’ll get complete morons that not only didn’t read the LFG and don’t ping equipment, but I’ll sometimes get complete morons that aren’t even aware of their gear not being “full DPS” and they’ll have things like PTV/celestial/knight’s etc.

Goofy LFG messages is the way to go imo.

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

I wonder how a “drinks provided, bring your own food” message would work. Meaning you would sponsor appropriate slaying potions and they – hopefully – bring their own buff food.
Or the other way round, “bring your own booze, food is free”, which would be even easier to manage by simply placing a tray of food. But this one is way more expensive than the first option.

Although I’m afraid this actually would draw in people looking to leech the path.
And I know, the idea of a lfg is not to be a catering service for others. It’s just something that popped up in my mind today.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Nahhhh. Really, just ask them to be fashionable or sexy or dyed in a certain way or quote a famous movie. You might have to kick some idiots but the ones staying are gonna be funny.
Whatevs, I need to find the motivation to do LS achievs. Gosh…

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

Some of the new actually might be interesting to do, depending on the class you play.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

Posted by: sorenrye.7238

sorenrye.7238

Some interesting ideas. I just don’t see how this makes people respect the lfg text. Math aside, let’s take an example. After writing the OP I created an lfg for AC that looked like this:

allpaths, >10k AP, speedzerk, experienced, gearcheck

I waited half a minute, and 3 people joined at the same time. I checked my lfg, and it was now:

allpaths 80

The 3 other guys in the party had 3xx, 5xx and 2xxx achivement points. 2 of them were level 4×. Now the last guy joins, he is level 5×. I stay outside the dungeon and just stay quiet. The chat fills up with ‘we are inside’, ‘come inside’, ‘come inside or we will kick’, etc

What can we do about this? Will Anet help those of us that wants to create parties of like minded people? Can we report? May we report? Will anet take action if we report?

If we can’t or mustn’t report or if Anet doesn’t care about the reporting; maybe an idea could be to list the total number of times a path or dungeon have been been completed on the account AND let you filter on it (prevent joins) with people that doesn’t meet the requisite.

Remember, this is not about how to form your own group with your friends and guildies. This is about finding people to play with via lfg.

Back when lfg was run by a third party on a website that was only known by mostly serious players, the groups I got was much better than the in-game lfg. Ah well.

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

What can we do about this? Will Anet help those of us that wants to create parties of like minded people? Can we report? May we report? Will anet take action if we report?

If we can’t or mustn’t report or if Anet doesn’t care about the reporting; maybe an idea could be to list the total number of times a path or dungeon have been been completed on the account AND let you filter on it (prevent joins) with people that doesn’t meet the requisite.

We can do nothing if people ignore what’s written

And actually, if I were someone from ANet, I’d ban you for wasting my time with this kind of report lol

The filter system is a good idea. At least would make lfg texts smaller (no need to type “80’s only” or “no class x”)