La fractal

La fractal

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Davin Miler.2810

Davin Miler.2810

Since old LA is basically inaccesible apart from a personal story chapter, will we be seeing a fractal of old LA, maybe with Scarlet and the Breachmaker? Do you guys want it?

La fractal

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I would rather see it as a raid, it gives more value to the threat, and 10 people fighting the trio-holograms would be much nicer than 5 people.
The Vale Guardian would’ve been good pre-training for fighting The Prime Hologram

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

La fractal

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I would rather see it as a raid, it gives more value to the threat, and 10 people fighting the trio-holograms would be much nicer than 5 people.
The Vale Guardian would’ve been good pre-training for fighting The Prime Hologram

I’d rather have it be a fractal. Only a few people in GW2 raid compared to the total population, certainly far fewer than do fractals.

La fractal

Posted by: voidvector.2780

voidvector.2780

Most of the season 1 content that were 5-man has already been re-purposed as fractals. The ones that’s left were either solo or zerg, so they would need to be redesigned

La fractal

Amaimon.7823

I’d rather have it be a fractal. Only a few people in GW2 raid compared to the total population, certainly far fewer than do fractals.

yet, you will be surprised how much easier raids are compared to Tier 4 fractals. I see more wiping, whining, toxic behavior and nooby-ness in fractals T4 than I see in pug raids. And I think most of the reason is that Fractals are often organized by haphazaroudly organised groups while raiding takes a mindset to take the game seriously. Raids also have a structural encounter, almost to the point where you can predict every step the boss takes while the fractals often turn into complete chaos, random attacks and simply unfair abuse by bosses. I’ll take a raid over a T4 fractal anyday.

What I mean to say is, I think a large population will be fit for raiding, but are simply scared to get started. When I had yet to kill my first boss I too thought raids were out of my reach. But after 60 kills or so now, I think this is actually quite breezy. Remember, practice makes perfect, I used to be stuck on Sabetha for 3 months, now I kill her every week in less than 5 tries.

La fractal

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

id rather have the maryonete as a raid which in scale was bigger and scarlet as a fractal. Also basing your arguement on baseless fact isnt the best way to get your point across

La fractal

Amaimon.7823

id rather have the maryonete as a raid which in scale was bigger and scarlet as a fractal. Also basing your arguement on baseless fact isnt the best way to get your point across

How about a new type of groups:
Parties: 5 people
Raid units: 10 people
Squads: 50 people
Mission units: 20 people

Difficulty can be a bit below raids, but should still require all 20 people to carry their weight. It’s just a random number, but 20 seems like a perfect balance between big groups and decent organizability.

La fractal

OriOri.8724

yet, you will be surprised how much easier raids are compared to Tier 4 fractals. I see more wiping, whining, toxic behavior and nooby-ness in fractals T4 than I see in pug raids. And I think most of the reason is that Fractals are often organized by haphazaroudly organised groups while raiding takes a mindset to take the game seriously. Raids also have a structural encounter, almost to the point where you can predict every step the boss takes while the fractals often turn into complete chaos, random attacks and simply unfair abuse by bosses. I’ll take a raid over a T4 fractal anyday.

What I mean to say is, I think a large population will be fit for raiding, but are simply scared to get started. When I had yet to kill my first boss I too thought raids were out of my reach. But after 60 kills or so now, I think this is actually quite breezy. Remember, practice makes perfect, I used to be stuck on Sabetha for 3 months, now I kill her every week in less than 5 tries.

But there are 3 tiers of fractals below T4, which is where they are different than raids. Anyone can get into T1 fractals. And even though many more players could raid, they choose not to for various reasons (scared to get into it, not enough time to practice [that’s where I am right now. hopefully that will change this summer], just don’t care for raiding, etc…). For something that so many people enjoyed, I think it would be better to come back as a fractal. Plus thematically it fits better since AFAIK raids are taking place in current time whereas fractals can jump around in time freely.

Still though, if it has to come back as a raid I’d rather it be a raid than not come back at all.

La fractal

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

But there are 3 tiers of fractals below T4, which is where they are different than raids. Anyone can get into T1 fractals. And even though many more players could raid, they choose not to for various reasons (scared to get into it, not enough time to practice [that’s where I am right now. hopefully that will change this summer], just don’t care for raiding, etc…). For something that so many people enjoyed, I think it would be better to come back as a fractal. Plus thematically it fits better since AFAIK raids are taking place in current time whereas fractals can jump around in time freely.

Still though, if it has to come back as a raid I’d rather it be a raid than not come back at all.

To take this to the next logical step – this content could come back as raids, but utilize multiple difficulty levels similar to what we see in fractals.

However, I would propose an entirely different solution for Season 1 content like the Breachmaker and Marionette – use the guild challenge mission system to bring the content back as guild missions. Things like Save our Supplies are instanced with unlimited scaling. Given that those events were originally designed with scaling in mind, it seems like the perfect system/place for that kind of content (and it would revitalize guild missions).

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

La fractal

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

How about a new type of groups:
Parties: 5 people
Raid units: 10 people
Squads: 50 people
Mission units: 20 people

Difficulty can be a bit below raids, but should still require all 20 people to carry their weight. It’s just a random number, but 20 seems like a perfect balance between big groups and decent organizability.

I dont think making a new type of pve content is less of a pain to make rather than make 2 events of the past a raid and a fractal. While yes the idea of missions i would love i still think that ppl would complain coz frankly raids are easy pll just dont want to do anything else than aa.

Tl dr its more work thats what stops it imo, other than that i would love 20 man missions but ppl would still find it hard

La fractal

OriOri.8724

To take this to the next logical step – this content could come back as raids, but utilize multiple difficulty levels similar to what we see in fractals.

However, I would propose an entirely different solution for Season 1 content like the Breachmaker and Marionette – use the guild challenge mission system to bring the content back as guild missions. Things like Save our Supplies are instanced with unlimited scaling. Given that those events were originally designed with scaling in mind, it seems like the perfect system/place for that kind of content (and it would revitalize guild missions).

I’m all for more guild missions being introduced, and this would also re-introduce LWS1 content. So I can support this.

La fractal

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

More fractals, less raids. It doesn’t matter wich one is easier. It matter which one is more accesible.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

La fractal

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

La fractal

Amaimon.7823

More fractals, less raids. It doesn’t matter wich one is easier. It matter which one is more accesible.

I just don’t feel a 5 man instance can do justice to the Prime Hologram

La fractal

Ardid.7203

I agree, however, in that case I prefer it to be plainly zerg-able, not tightly coordinated 10 people challenge, simply because coordinating 10 players is a giant pain.

If its going to be hard, please make it for no more than 5 people.

Hawks

La fractal

Amaimon.7823

I agree, however, in that case I prefer it to be plainly zerg-able, not tightly coordinated 10 people challenge, simply because coordinating 10 players is a giant pain.

Because coordinating 10 people is hard? then how have hundreds and thousands of 10 man groups been doing fine in raids so far? I’m not saying the instance needs to be as hard as the current raids, just do the boss some justice

La fractal

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Agreed. I think open world or instanced with no number restriction (thus the guild challenge idea I posted above) make the most sense. The content was originally designed that way anyway.

And, if they did bring anything like this back as 10 player raids, it would have to be much different from the raids we have now in terms of accessibility. It really wouldn’t go over very well if they brought it back and then tuned it for a small percentage of the players.

La fractal

Ardid.7203

Because coordinating 10 people is hard? then how have hundreds and thousands of 10 man groups been doing fine in raids so far? I’m not saying the instance needs to be as hard as the current raids, just do the boss some justice

That many people has the fortune to have the time, ping and proper contacts to coordinate 10 man raids effectively doesn’t mean everyone have it. (Also there is an opinion trend that claims raiders are a small minority in the game, but since we don’t have real numbers, its better to not go there at all: we just don’t know if raids are popular or not, and if you know for sure how many people are raiding, it would be great if you share your source). Your experience is not the same as other people.

So intead of comparing subjective experiences, let’s keep it simple: Coordinating 10 people is harder than coordinate 5, which is also harder than not coordinating at all. Raid difficulty is clearly higher than map bosses, and is clear some people can’t raid.

So it doesn’t matter if someone think raids are easy. They are still harder than 5 man basic content, and harder than open world bosses, and less accesible. If you want to make something accesible by most people, you can’t propose raids as the model to follow.

IMO the “LA guild mission” is a good idea, as also is the “LA fractal”. I don’t think we need more raids that seems to divide people instead of include everyone.

PS: Also a question out of pure curiosity: do you use any voice communication system to coordinate raids?

Hawks

La fractal

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

Why not make a “fractal set” of raids? Single boss raids and such that wouldnt fit anywhere else and dont fit with the ‘raid story’.

Examples:
LA fight (since that fight would be wasted on a group of 5 people)

Marionette fight from living world days with 2 people to a lane or something similar (would help make room for different build styles since one healer cant do everything for groups that are split up like that)

Take on bosses that work for fractals (going back into the past to fight enemies and whatnot) but 5 people wouldn’t do it justice, like fighting Shiro Tagachi or Abaddon or something like that, or even do Glint’s ascension challenges

Hell, a raid version of Jade Maw where you chase it down after the 5 man fractal group defeats it and it runs away.

More, depending on imagination and opportunity.

Since its a single boss it would also take less time and resources to make, and could even be tuned to a bit lower difficulty than regular raids so people would have a bit more of a stepping stone to raid environments

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”