Li rework discussion

Li rework discussion

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Zlater.6789

Zlater.6789

Hi guys, with the recent release of the legendary armour we have discovered that the LI requirement is actually a lot higher than what we first expected. To complete all 3 armours, you would need to kill every raid boss every week for the next year and 2 months. There is a LOT of things to discuss about this, that the high requirement is good, and also that it is bad. But I have an idea that might cater to both the developers visions and prestige… and the cry from the community to reduce the requirement.

How about removing LI from the boss chests and instead rewarding them as part of the event rewards?

There is a lot more to say about this then what I will say, but this would allow for us to:
-Farm the LIs
-Give the Devs more control over acquisition
-Incentivise players to go for legendary armour and second sets
-Remove LI’s from latter wings and open opportunities for the developers to add new rewards.

Well that’s just my idea at least

Li rework discussion

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

Hi guys, with the recent release of the legendary armour we have discovered that the LI requirement is actually a lot higher than what we first expected.

No it’s not. It’s been known what the LI requirement was for almost a year.

Anet make Rev great again.

Li rework discussion

Posted by: Leon de Damasco.8105

Leon de Damasco.8105

Li rework discussion

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

There is a lot more to say about this then what I will say, but this would allow for us to:
-Farm the LIs

How does the ability to farm the LI keep it’s prestige? All this would do is have people who are interested in the legendary armor boringly chain grind out of the LI rewarding content and maybe even burnout on the game.

-Give the Devs more control over acquisition

This is a direct contradiction to your first point. If LI are farmable the devs lose the ability and control over LI aquisition.

-Incentivise players to go for legendary armour and second sets

The sets are incentive enough and to be honest, the raids and the fun they provide should be further incentive. If you have to create incentive via adding repetative grind, you are doing it wrong.

-Remove LI’s from latter wings and open opportunities for the developers to add new rewards.

More unique raid rewards, yes I’m sure that will be greatly appreciated by the non-raiding crowd.

Most regular raiders are at 400+ LI. Most raiders who started late are at 100-200 LI. The first set takes 150 LI to make since the precursors are free with the collection. Yes, if you just start now and want all 3 sets it will take a while to get them all. No 3 full sets of legendary armor should not be available within 1 or 2 months.

LI aquisition is fine and will increase if/when they add more raid wings. Until then, get your first set and stop worrying about something like 3 legendary sets when you haven’t even started on the first one.

Li rework discussion

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

I agree entirely with Cyninja.

To me it looks like the OP wants the ability to get them easier as well by putting them on the events which aren’t particularly challenging at all.

Li rework discussion

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

There is a huge conceptual problem in asking for ‘prestige’ when the biggest barrier to raid isn’t skill base but time based (to organize, practice and raid repeatedly).

Your prestige is already quite time dependent. I mean, does killing all bosses 150 times proves you have more skill than killing them 25? The collection is the skill part of the raid where you proved you could triumph over all type of challenge there was, but the LI part is a time gated grind nothing else. And people can already pay for it on top of it…

So, really, it isn’t so much ‘prestige’ you want as exclusivity at this point. However, since the only legendary tier armor is locked behind raids, the number of players that are going for that armor is not helping keeping it exclusive at all. Its the same problem there was for the Ascension.

Had the reward been a kitten envoy aura (for example), not 6 legendary item slots, raids would have more easily remained the domain of the raiders and that aura been more exclusive to them.

But no, they had to coerce people into raid by kitten-teasing them there, rather than let raid be for raiders.

IMO, just like for PVP, Anet outplayed themselves here.

(edited by Sirbeaumerdier.3740)

Li rework discussion

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Hi guys, with the recent release of the legendary armour we have discovered that the LI requirement is actually a lot higher than what we first expected.

No it’s not. It’s been known what the LI requirement was for almost a year.

That’s only partially true. The legendary armor recipes were known, but the precursor ones weren’t. I believe it’s that part that got some people annoyed.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Li rework discussion

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I think it’s fine. If you’re among the elite few who not only raid but could complete your first set of armor and still want the other sets, then you’ll be more than capable (and willing) to do whatever it takes to get them. The other side of my opinion here is that as more raid wings get added to the game, the time gate shortens, so they definitely had to future proof this a little bit.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Li rework discussion

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Eh, as we get more raid wings we’ll be able to get more LI per week (assuming they don’t artificially cap it), so over time the amount of weeks you’ll need to complete every boss will drop lower and lower.

Plus, I think its perfectly fine how many LI are needed for secondary sets of leg armor.

Li rework discussion

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

legendary insights and provisioner tokens are the grindiest things in this game by an order of magnitude. its ironic that anet joked about swinging your sword over and over and added these 2 systems into the game.

unfortunately, since they’re attached to acquirable legendary items, the window of opportunity to change is probably gone. and anet rejected the argument that the grind is ridiculous a year ago (I tried back then).

sucks.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Li rework discussion

Cyninja.2954

legendary insights and provisioner tokens are the grindiest things in this game by an order of magnitude. its ironic that anet joked about swinging your sword over and over and added these 2 systems into the game.

unfortunately, since they’re attached to acquirable legendary items, the window of opportunity to change is probably gone. and anet rejected the argument that the grind is ridiculous a year ago (I tried back then).

sucks.

Actually they are the most time gated, not grindiest. There is a difference here.

Provisioner tokens and LI have daily/weekly time gates but are not hard to aquire time wise (assuming you do raids for LI).

If they were grindy you’d have to spend way more time on them. Personally I prefer time gates over grind. Why? Because I’m mature (literally talking about my age here) enough to wait for stuff I want, something lost on many players nowadays.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Li rework discussion

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Time gates are a type of grind, just not the type of grind that most players think of when they think grind (that being just hours and hours of killing mobs to either get something you can turn into gold or get a rare drop). But I don’t think that either provisioner tokens or LI are particularly grindy, even as a time gate. Leg armor is after all supposed to be the best ever armor you could possibly get.

Li rework discussion

insanemaniac.2456

sucks.

Actually they are the most time gated, not grindiest. There is a difference here.

Provisioner tokens and LI have daily/weekly time gates but are not hard to aquire time wise (assuming you do raids for LI).

If they were grindy you’d have to spend way more time on them. Personally I prefer time gates over grind. Why? Because I’m mature (literally talking about my age here) enough to wait for stuff I want, something lost on many players nowadays.

when a time gate is drawn out to an order of magnitude more than anything comparable, it is a grind. it becomes unfun and tedious and “gotta do it yet again”.

i am offended that you seek to imply i am immature and you are not simply for complaining when there is a mathematical basis for this complaint: if you look at the difference in expense between ascended and other legendary items, its about 1 order of magnitude. there are ~2 orders of magnitude difference in these 2 time gates versus other ascended time gates, and ~1 order difference compared to other legendaries.

this is what guild wars 2 was advertised to shy away from.

please also note that im not sure it should be nerfed now that its already out. showing that maturity and deliberation you so desire.

Li rework discussion

Cyninja.2954

sucks.

when a time gate is drawn out to an order of magnitude more than anything comparable, it is a grind. it becomes unfun and tedious and “gotta do it yet again”.

i am offended that you seek to imply i am immature and you are not simply for complaining when there is a mathematical basis for this complaint: if you look at the difference in expense between ascended and other legendary items, its about 1 order of magnitude. there are ~2 orders of magnitude difference in these 2 time gates versus other ascended time gates, and ~1 order difference compared to other legendaries.

please also note that im not sure it should be nerfed now that its already out. showing that maturity and deliberation you so desire.

And in your mathematical basis you have also considered the difference in gold cost as well as account bound items?

I don’t think you have. All you did was focus on the time gate. Let’s look at gold cost for example:

- 1 ascended weapon costs about 50 – 100 gold
- cheapest legendaries start at 2k gold

Now let’s look at armor:

- 1 full set of ascended armor costs crafted easy over 500 – 700 gold the cheapest coming from weeks of farming fractals (and not guaranteed with a cost of close to 200 gold or more for switching to desired stats on top of the time gate)
- 1 full set legendary armor costs about 2k – 3k gold

Let’s look at Mystic clovers required:

- 1 legendary weapon = 77 Mystic Clovers
- 1 full set of armor = 90 Mystic Clovers

Don’t throw around words like mathematical unless you either make clear what your basis is, or account for all variables please.

The mature comment was not directed at you but was ment as a general statement which many more aged (edited from mature to avoide confusion) gamers might agree with. It does say a lot about you though that you thought it was aimed at you.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Li rework discussion

insanemaniac.2456

sucks.

And in your mathematical basis you have also considered the difference in gold cost as well as account bound items?

I don’t think you have. All you did was focus on the time gate. Let’s look at gold cost for example:

Now let’s look at armor:

- 1 full set of ascended armor costs crafted easy over 500 – 700 gold the cheapest coming from weeks of farming fractals (and not guaranteed with a cost of close to 200 gold or more for switching to desired stats on top of the time gate)

Don’t throw around words like mathematical unless you either make clear what your basis is, or account for all variables please.

The mature comment was not directed at you but was ment as a general statement which many more mature gamers might agree with. It does say a lot about you though that you thought it was aimed at you.

an ascended weapon costing ~100g vs a legendary costing ~2k is 1 order of magnitude.

an ascended armor set costing ~500g vs legendary costing ~3k is 1 order of magnitude.

neither is anywhere the kitten near 2 orders lol.

Li rework discussion

Cyninja.2954

sucks.

Now let’s look at armor:

The mature comment was not directed at you but was ment as a general statement which many more mature gamers might agree with. It does say a lot about you though that you thought it was aimed at you.

an ascended weapon costing ~100g vs a legendary costing ~2k is 1 order of magnitude.

an ascended armor set costing ~500g vs legendary costing ~3k is 1 order of magnitude.

neither is anywhere the kitten near 2 orders lol.

I never said they were, but let’s be a bit more eaxct please since you are conveniently leaving out that weapons are close to a magnitutde of 1.1 and armor at 0.6. Now factor in for time to farm that gold difference versus time to farm the time gated materials and you’ll realise that armors are balanced time commitment wise.

Li rework discussion

insanemaniac.2456

please, show me some reasonable calcs for your time factor. as far as im aware, we can make around 30-40g/hour in the best farm currently, and thats excluding playing the tp which has even better returns. so farming an armor set would take what 15 hours? compared to 12 weeks for 150 li? how many orders of magnitude difference is that again?

Li rework discussion

Cyninja.2954

please, show me some reasonable calcs for your time factor. as far as im aware, we can make around 30-40g/hour in the best farm currently, and thats excluding playing the tp which has even better returns. so farming an armor set would take what 15 hours? compared to 12 weeks for 150 li? how many orders of magnitude difference is that again?

Yes and those 12 weeks are about 25 hours (let’s make it 30-40)worth of raids for most groups that do a full clear. Unless we add time for ineffciency in which case we could subtract some time from the gold per hour farm.

15 to 40 hours is what, 0 orders of magnitutde worth of playtime?
Now let’s look at how long it takes to get a legendary weapon and compare its stat advantage versus a full set of armor….

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Li rework discussion

insanemaniac.2456

i dont think its valid to substitute in 25 hours in this case since 12 weeks is a hard gate. i dont know why you think that is valid and the only thing that comes to mind for me is #winning the argument. please explain your rationale.

Li rework discussion

Cyninja.2954

My rationale is that playtime is one of the most objective ways to compare effort in a video game. I’ve tried to point out that arenanet have balanced armor around less direct cost (aka gold) and via more time gating. It’s balanced, just not in a way you like.

Li rework discussion

insanemaniac.2456

they messed up in these 2 cases and made it too long. arbitrarily drawing out the rewards because “people get legendaries too fast” is silly. the collections are time gated enough as it is, and mat acquisition is already soft gated by skill and motivation instead of pure gold. but once you have those softer gates, the hard time gate that remains is out of line with everything else. its plainly obvious to nearly everyone who takes a hard look at the requirements and the only thing that masks it to the eyes of raiders is the 2 year delay in the release of the armor itself. “i did it so you can too” does not justify grind, and that is a goal of anet and they are failing in it in this case.

Li rework discussion

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Yes and those 12 weeks are about 25 hours (let’s make it 30-40)worth of raids for most groups that do a full clear. Unless we add time for ineffciency in which case we could subtract some time from the gold per hour farm.

15 to 40 hours is what, 0 orders of magnitutde worth of playtime?
Now let’s look at how long it takes to get a legendary weapon and compare its stat advantage versus a full set of armor….

Not sure thats a fair comparison since the player controls the allocation of the 15 hours while the approximately 40 is dictated by hard time gates. In theory one could farm out the 15 hours in one day while the 40 would remain gated over a period of months.

Li rework discussion

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

I get what you are both saying insanemaniac and Cyninja. I personally don’t mind the weekly time gate because I can do it fairly easily on a weekly basis and go do other stuff either in game or on another game. I can space out my activities and plan my time accordingly and that’s one advantage to the weekly time gating in my opinion.

If you could grind them out at a much faster pace you would get people burning themselves out on the content as well as potentially leaving those areas devoid of players much quicker when everyone has what they want.

To me that’s what Cyninja was talking about with maturity earlier and you tend to see it with older players who don’t mind taking things a little slower and not having to have it right now.

I do however see your side in some ways insanemaniac and that it is a hard time gate and it does prevent you getting it a lot quicker. It can also be very frustrating if you get everything but the time gated stuff easily enough through as you say gold farming and then you are just waiting on what seems an arbitrary time period.

Look at it the other way and assume not everyone grinds out a few hours of gold every day they aren’t getting LI’s and other time gated stuff and you start to see it differently. You can grab that time gated stuff and slowly work on the condensed gifts, clovers and other things that average players might not like farming for and instead prefer to get through saving and normal play.

Li rework discussion

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

Remove LI’s from bosses, add LI’s to events….farm events for LI’s. Sorry this is funny. Next we will be hearing that SW bosses drop LI’s. How about you make world bosses drop asc items and ghostly infusions while you’re at it…This forum…..

Li rework discussion

Astralporing.1957

Remove LI’s from bosses, add LI’s to events….farm events for LI’s. Sorry this is funny. Next we will be hearing that SW bosses drop LI’s. How about you make world bosses drop asc items and ghostly infusions while you’re at it…This forum…..

Well, the world bosses do drop ascended items. Tequatl drop rates aren’t even all that atrocious.

Actions, not words.

Li rework discussion

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

gees ppl complain so much lol

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Li rework discussion

Posted by: Zlater.6789

Zlater.6789

There is a huge conceptual problem in asking for ‘prestige’ when the biggest barrier to raid isn’t skill base but time based (to organize, practice and raid repeatedly).

Your prestige is already quite time dependent. I mean, does killing all bosses 150 times proves you have more skill than killing them 25? The collection is the skill part of the raid where you proved you could triumph over all type of challenge there was, but the LI part is a time gated grind nothing else. And people can already pay for it on top of it…

So, really, it isn’t so much ‘prestige’ you want as exclusivity at this point. However, since the only legendary tier armor is locked behind raids, the number of players that are going for that armor is not helping keeping it exclusive at all. Its the same problem there was for the Ascension.

Had the reward been a kitten envoy aura (for example), not 6 legendary item slots, raids would have more easily remained the domain of the raiders and that aura been more exclusive to them.

But no, they had to coerce people into raid by kitten-teasing them there, rather than let raid be for raiders.

IMO, just like for PVP, Anet outplayed themselves here.

I wanted to pull this comment out.
I also have incinerator and the ascension. So I’ve done both the time gated thing and the farm it out thing, assuming the acquisition gates in these two legendaries especially are different.

Some things I noticed
Time gated legendary (The Ascension):
-Being one of the first few people to get it was so cool! I mean I would show that thing off big time and it was very prestigious, even if it looked bad, it felt awesome.
-Now it is the cheapest and least exciting legendary to get with really no prestige at all. (Unless you can’t pvp lol)

Just farmed (Incinerator)
-It was cool when I got it, but not super prestegious.
-I still enjoy it now as much as I did when I made it, and any chance I get I strut that stuff.

I liked what this guy said at least, because I found truth to it in what I experienced before and what I experience now when I raid.

Even if you can farm LI’s, does it mean anything until you git gud and clear every encounter?

If the future raid wings don’t contribute anything to legendary armour collections, how does that reflect player skill; and where is the prestige once we have hit wing 10 or even wing 20?

(edited by Zlater.6789)

Li rework discussion

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I know this is sensitive but seriously ppl expect to get legendary armour by doing weekly escort only? The number if li is reasonable. I was thinking to quit raids now tht I hv 500li (I don’t hv a static group to play with so my li is from doing pug way the harder way) since more li needed it gives me reason to continue with bit more raids next few weeks while waiting for expansion. If the li requiment is half.. the game might be dead before expansion cones

The number of LI is reasonable if that kind of content is to your liking. If it is not, you have to sacrifice quality play time to eventually access that tier of armor.

If there was plans for other legendary armors people could get while doing what they enjoy (like the raiders can do), the level of complaint would quickly evaporate.

Having players who enjoy something tell others who do not that it is not so bad is pretty dubious. Like I said earlier. if I’m a hetero or a homosexual and I tell you to stop whining about having to kiss another man or woman when your taste is clearly not toward that, it might not be much to you, but it’s a kittening big deal for the other person. Having to kiss that other person you have no attraction toward one time is already way enough, let alone 150 times…

Li rework discussion

Posted by: Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

The number of LI is reasonable if that kind of content is to your liking. If it is not, you have to sacrifice quality play time to eventually access that tier of armor.

If there was plans for other legendary armors people could get while doing what they enjoy (like the raiders can do), the level of complaint would quickly evaporate.

Having players who enjoy something tell others who do not that it is not so bad is pretty dubious. Like I said earlier. if I’m a hetero or a homosexual and I tell you to stop whining about having to kiss another man or woman when your taste is clearly not toward that, it might not be much to you, but it’s a kittening big deal for the other person. Having to kiss that other person you have no attraction toward one time is already way enough, let alone 150 times…

When you want something you have to make sacrifices.

I don’t like pvp that much but I forced myself to do all the seasons achievements to get the pvp legendary backpiece.

I don’t like wvw that much but long time ago when we had wvw tournaments I forced myself to do wvw everyday to get the achievements done.

I know raiders love and have fun doing raids, but most of the times I dont have fun doing raids, I just want to clear the bosses asap so I don’t have to look at raids until next week.
I collected 500 LI and I dont even love raids, I just want the legendary armor so I made lots of sacrifices in the game to be able to raid.

[DIE] Death is Energy

Li rework discussion

Talindra.4958

Made sacrifices ya .. so that’s the word lol. I don’t say I made sacrifices but this is the game I play. I want something I go and do it. Done all achievements for 1 reason . Bcos I want it done. Done all wvw tournament achievements and PvP for back piece done fractal back piece too and all achievements . The only achievements I am taking my time are those no time limit wvw and PvP. I make sure I get them done if they are to put a time limit to it. Raids was new . Was hard to start. No static group even till now . And we did it. I hv about 500li too all from pug raids .

Australia

Li rework discussion

Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

Made sacrifices ya .. so that’s the word lol. I don’t say I made sacrifices but this is the game I play. I want something I go and do it. Done all achievements for 1 reason . Bcos I want it done. Done all wvw tournament achievements and PvP for back piece done fractal back piece too and all achievements . The only achievements I am taking my time are those no time limit wvw and PvP. I make sure I get them done if they are to put a time limit to it. Raids was new . Was hard to start. No static group even till now . And we did it. I hv about 500li too all from pug raids .

Playing raids is a big sacrifice for me you know, if it wasn’t for legendary armor I would have stop doing raids after the weeks and weeks of wipes and countless hours wasted in w1 back when raids first started

[DIE] Death is Energy

Li rework discussion

Talindra.4958

Haha.. well I’m sure it’s all worth it for the rage and gold and loot..

Australia

Li rework discussion

Astralporing.1957

It’s a game. The very idea that you should sacrifice your fun for the sake of a game is a complete corruption of what the game should be.
If a game is trying to make you do an activity that makes the game less fun, then someone seriously failed at the design stage.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Li rework discussion

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

It’s a game. The very idea that you should sacrifice your fun for the sake of a game is a complete corruption of what the game should be.
If a game is trying to make you do an activity that makes the game less fun, then someone seriously failed at the design stage.

And you can also argue with it: It’s a game, no need to get a special armor/weapon or anything else. If you just want to have fun in this game, play the stuff you like and pass legendary armor. It’s not that hard and it doesn’t hurt. To give up a claim is a virtue.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Li rework discussion

Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

I do it for the armor and I don’t complain about it, I just do it because I really wanted the armor.
If others cant do that they don’t deserve legendary armor.

If I only did the things I find fun in this game I would only have 2 legendaries and no much gold. Because I hate to do map completion but I still did it coz I wanted to make more legendary weapons.
I hate to farm gold but I still do sometimes because I need gold…

So yeah to be wealthy in this game you have to do things that are not fun.

[DIE] Death is Energy

Li rework discussion

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I do it for the armor and I don’t complain about it, I just do it because I really wanted the armor.
If others cant do that they don’t deserve legendary armor.

If I only did the things I find fun in this game I would only have 2 legendaries and no much gold. Because I hate to do map completion but I still did it coz I wanted to make more legendary weapons.
I hate to farm gold but I still do sometimes because I need gold…

So yeah to be wealthy in this game you have to do things that are not fun.

I do it too despite not enjoying it btw. I’m even willing to use my cred card for it (usually against my religion for that kind of thing). However, it is important for me to let Anet known that it was a poor decision.

I also wanted to make it clear that those who enjoy something have little credibility telling ‘it is not so bad’ to those who do not. It is not if you enjoy the content, otherwise, it’s a very different experience.

Li rework discussion

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Once upon a time, I had a lot more time to play this game and sacrificing some of it for a part of the game I do not care much about wouldn’t have been as bad. However, it is no longer the case and asking me to gut my play time for what I do not enjoy is most definitely a far bigger sacrifice than for someone who has lots of gaming hours available and who enjoy that content. You simply can’t compare the two with a straight face.