Lupicus Question

Lupicus Question

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Quam.7218

Quam.7218

Q:

Only one question. (why I HATE doint this boss with any other class than Guardian)

Why the hell are there red circles when he does that multi-projectiles-thing ?
What are they for ? False hope ?
I just don’t get it I get hit 100% times even NOT standing in any of them.
As a player I always thought “don’t stand in red circles you won’t get damage” NOT here You dumb player! Not at this boss You stand in circles You get damage You don’t You also get damage. #&^%$ logic!

So my question here is what are the kitten red circles for ? I always have to use all my dodges – or die – and after that oh… maybe I fire another projectile on that player or maybe two -.-

(I red somewhere that “under him” is a save place for projectiles – gues it was trolling there is no safe place, our of range or die.)

Lupicus Question

Posted by: Chryzo.8906

Chryzo.8906

A:

Quam, I also did lupicus on many a profession, mainly in groups, my armors are testament to this i guess ^^ And for other than my guardian, they are in zerk armor for most of them.

Now to help, and i know little of thiefs, mine is barely 65, here is what i would equip for my first fights IF i range him

• Signet with the speed boost might help get you out of red circles fasters
  • Smoke wall => blokes tons of projectiles

P1: you don’t have to melee if you don’t wanna. Though the cycle is Locust / Kick / Grub / Kick / Locusts …. (can start with grub ^^). And without vigor you can dodge grubs and kicks in this phase. Your endurance refills fast enough. So, the dodges on grubs is not really part of your problem atm ^^ And if you are in melee, you can actually know if you are the one targeted by the grub or not.

Kick: you actually have time to either move away from him, move left / right of him, or move through him without dodging. Though that is if you have no lag ^^. A good 3 of a thief’s dagger should also be enough to evade said kick

Shadowstep: If you are in melee, the SS will be away from you… no need to dodge. So no dodging there. (Except when the dam wolf bugs, which happens all the time now since the dragon thingy patch. Dub saw it before, I had never.) And if GL SS on you, means you are ranged, means you can evade the missile barrage without dodging but just running.

Projectile: just do a quick left / right when you are ranged, it works on mage too most of the time. No need to spend some dodges on that.

Massive aoe barrage: double dodge if in melee, as a thief and if you are ranging him, you can steal him once the red circles appeared or use smoke screen and position yourself correctly.

Drains life: yeap, you’ll have to double dodge or use evasion skills.

PBAOE Life Drain: 5 from arc would be a good idea to get out, so no dodge or only one.

As for the P3 aoe poison (not the cage), why not use arc 5 again instead of dodges ?

So all in all, i’d say that the only moments where you really need to dodge are:

• Massive missile barrage of P2 if you are in melee
  • Kicks if you can’t evade them other way
    and that is pretty much it.

As for your original question: the projectikitten unce* which means they actually have multiple points where they can hit a player on their trajectory. Get your guardian out. Use Wall of Reflection, and look at the projectiles and you will see that some jump over the wall to hit you ^^. They also splash right in front of the wall and hit you too

Now Lupicus is a fun fight ^^ learn to enjoy it and try to figure out which weapons / skills sets you can use best on that fight. Don’t ask other thiefs what they use and then use them without thinking ^^. Use them if you feel comfy with it, not because others do it.

Lupicus as a guardian is like being in godmode. I know that i usually just switch to scepter/focus + 1hsword/shield on this fight for the fun of being able to protect and rez any downed / dead player and still get out of sticky situations ^^.

And to finish, this has turned into a long answer in the end, if you don’t want aggro:

• don’t max condition damage
  • don’t max toughness
    Some might correct me, but to me, this is the order in which Lupicus focuses aggro when I am playing him. It is also one of the reason my engi is now happy to have his berzerker set and not draw aggro anymore most of the time ^^

Chryzo

Side note: anyone tried to turned Lupicus to stone to see if it would stop his AOE like it stops the frenezy switch from the abomination on arah P2 ?

Lupicus Question

Chryzo.8906

When under him, double evade, once backward, once forward, you ll take maybe one hit.

As a guardian, if you are more support specced than dps oriented, evade once backward, hit your wall of reflection. Or just use shield 5. I find that avenger takes too long to cast and is really not reliable

As for the projectiles, well they bounce around a lot. You want to be free of them either go towards him or away from him. Avoir going in circles around him ^^. Also there is more than one wave.

Also, don’t rely on aegis. They. Simply. Do. Not. Work. on this boss. Don’t ask me why, but they are “eaten” by the aoe spell even though you would take no hit. Maybe the more experienced ones have a reason for that ^^ The funniest thing is as a warrior, you can block with a shield and you will still see tons of blocks even without any projectiles actually reaching you.

GL is fun… though way less since the dragon patch.. he became thoughoully unreliable with his spells. Shadowsteps that don’t teleport, pbaoe life drain that stop in the middle and cage while you are moving away. And groups tend to not want to go in melee At least that would solve the SS problem ^^

Lupicus Question

Chryzo.8906

my bad, i meant it does not work regarding the aoe projectiles ^^ Nikaido is right in all his other uses

Lupicus Question

Posted by: Syn Sity.5826

Syn Sity.5826

I think the real question is just why are the circles there. In every other part of the game red circles = damage, stand outside = avoid damage. So they decided to change it up for this boss which doesn’t really make sense. I guess all you can do is adjust and adapt.

[DnT]

Lupicus Question

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Those red circles are very, very accurate. Stand outside of those who aren’t close to him just 1 mm and you won’t get hit. The circles close to him just don’t get drawn quick enough and therefore partially never appear.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Lupicus Question

Quam.7218

TY for this answer, now I have a slight idea why I got down every time he threw those impossible to see projectiles… 2 dodges back and forth is a bad idea the dodges are precious for me becouse he sticks to me like crazy throwing every atack on me (madness!) so even after I waste 2 dodges and get hit once my HP is at 30% after that he charges on me, charges again shoot that single projectile and when Signet of Agility on cd no dodges left bam down (I don’t count dagger storm becouse of cd).

Just to clarify as a guardian this boss it’s just too easy for me, so I went there with a Thief alt (I just love it’s mobility and avoidance – and no, not full zerker) and this only attack was a nightmare for me… I always standed outside the circles and always got hit by it… this is madness!

I even try to use some thief skill with “evade” option how can I evade something that cannot be seen ? Also the “delay” in pressing some skills with a 1/2 second evade is so annoying You will evade or not becouse of it – very frustrating also – and it’s live or die most of the time.

I’m a realist so I don’t have any hopes for it to be repaired or something, I don’t belive in miracles. I’ll just skip the Arah set and gather marks from something else – adapt was it ?

Cheers!

Lupicus Question

Dub.1273

Dodging back and forth is a very good idea. Ranging this boss is a very bad idea.
I solo’ed this boss on 6 professions – that means guardian and 5 other professions. My problem has never ever been his phase 2 aoe.

Dub | [rT]

Lupicus Question

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

The problem is that you’re guardian. One MAJOR problem with Lupi aoe circles is that if you are dodging or blocking (aiges counts), you’ll block the circle placement on the ground. The projectile is still coming but you won’t have a pretty red circle to show you where.

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Lupicus Question

Posted by: Almdudler.8621

Almdudler.8621

Im not a maniac Arah runner, but done it enough of times with different classes and I had the same issue until I just started dodgin regardless I’m in a circle or not. But lately I figured out that it is maybe a line of fire issue. Meaning that if there is an red circle behind you the projectile will hit you! Last time I tried this, it worked pretty well, I mean just don’t stay infront of a circle in the line of fire. I didnt try this on enough runs to confirm though. Anyone else? I cant believe the draw issue lol!

Lupicus Question

Quam.7218

Withdraw
Roll for initiative
Signet of agility (replenish endurance for more dodging)
Bow skill 3
sigil of energy

Take your pick. If one is not enough, take everything. It’s impossible for a thief to die from phase 2 AoE if you take one of these, or even all of these in the very worst case for you. Let’s say that you have troubles with lag, chaining evade will keep you 100% safe no matter what.
Thieves, like guardians, have it easy for this fight if they understand how to use their evade and which skills to pick up.

All theory works great in theory

If Lupi focus me (always f*&^ always he does 5 tries 5 times alsways on me… ) I have to dodge more than just the AoE phase… if it where only the AoE attack it’s np like You wrote there evade chain gg the problem begins here.:

1st AoE – dodge, dodge, one of evade skills (or 100% hit for 70% hp)
charge – dodge/evade (i rather dodge becouse i don’t trust the delay on shortbow 3 even if I push it right I got lag/delay and still get hit – so it works 50/50)
single projectile x2 – now here the lottery begins am I the target or not ? Becouse there are other players in the similar line and the projectile does not move in a streight line :< so i can risk and NOT dodge get hit and go down or dodge, and waste one dodge… it’s easy if he target a player on his back or at side so he turns, I don’t risk.
charge on me again – dodge
2nd AoE now what do I have ? :|
charge again…

So it’s not that I die at the 1st AoE but rather on 3rd onward… 2nd phase I even get leeched(!) also a lot (dodges/evade again wasted) + AoE oh kitten no…

It’s an easy boss if You are not the target he focuses all the time (not as a guardian, as a guardian I love the fight and kiting him is a pleasure) :<

The only problem is the AoE and wasting precius dodge, evade, utility form taking damage while not standing in red circles… if not this the fight would not be a problem even for me.

I’m not a hardcore player who solo lupicus with any class, otherwise there would not be this topic.

Lupicus Question

Dub.1273

DO NOT RANGE LUPICUS OR YOU GET PUNISHED FOR USING TRASH WEAPONS!

EDIT: CAPS

Dub | [rT]

Lupicus Question

Quam.7218

DO NOT RANGE LUPICUS OR YOU GET PUNISHED FOR USING TRASH WEAPONS!

EDIT: CAPS

I try to melee him as much as possible, but why do I have to solo him while there are 5 of us (and it’s not a premade of Arah vets) ? Why doesn’t he change targets… what is this World of Warcraft ? on AoE in melee range there is no place to run and you (getting back to the main topic issue here becouse to much off topic starts – this is not how to solo lupi while 5 man)

(caps) STILL GET HIT WHILE NOT STANDING IN RED CIRCLES WHY THE HELL ARE THE RED CIRCLES THERE FOR ? JUST DO A ONE BIG GIGANTIC RED CIRCLE RATHER THAN MAKEING FALSE HOPE THAT IF YOU STAY OUTSIDE IT YOU WON’T GET HIT. (/caps)

Ty for your patience

But still next time I will try the dodge back and forward while melee in AoE phase just to be 100% sure if I have enought avoidance to survive the fight.

Lupicus Question

Dub.1273

When you are not close to lupicus when he does his aoe you can just walk out of circles because they have a long travel time. Only projectiles close to him will sometimes not cause a red circle appearing. And you don’t have to solo lupicus to melee him…

Dub | [rT]

Lupicus Question

Quam.7218

When you are not close to lupicus when he does his aoe you can just walk out of circles because they have a long travel time. Only projectiles close to him will sometimes not cause a red circle appearing. And you don’t have to solo lupicus to melee him…

This is a good tip for someone with a good ranged weapon 1200+ not being the “main” Lupi target. With my thief and a range of 900 it’s hard to get really fast to the end of his aoe, most of the time I’m at melee range (I looked really close to all YT movies of his moves and know when to avoid 99% of his attacks, but his AoE makes no sesne) or 900 middle range.

Just to clarify by “solo” I meant we are 5 party member yet still 90% of the time he focuses you as his target and one player has to deal with him… he must survive the whole fight ALONE or die. Other players are occasionally hit with Necrotic or Leech (as a single target ability).

But a good point is here “Only projectiles close to him will sometimes not cause a red circle appearing.” Why the hell is that ? How many years do we have to wait until it gets properly done ?

I’m not getting mad or frustrated when the content is hard, I like challenging things, but I don’t like broken things and players that tell me to accept broken things… (like Arah P4 in the past) so I don’t understand why nobody from the team responsible for this type of content has interest in it for several months. I Like lupicus he’s one of a challenge but the “circles thay may not appear” is a little joke in a game at a boss almost 1 year old, on a boss that 2 hits you dead…

Every other boss is clear – You get punished with damage/death for standing in red circles or take hit by projectiles, but not Lupi, weather You are in or out you still get punished this… I don’t understand.

Lupicus Question

Dub.1273

When you are in melee range – doubledodge.
When you are outside of melee range – go away.
Problem – solved.

Dub | [rT]

Lupicus Question

Quam.7218

When you are in melee range – doubledodge.
When you are outside of melee range – go away.
Problem – solved.

Yes off topic problem solved TY, now I can focus on solving main problem.

Lupicus Question

Dub.1273

So the problem you described in opening post is offtopic?
There must be a deeper meaning in here that i didn’t get.

Dub | [rT]

Lupicus Question

Quam.7218

So the problem you described in opening post is offtopic?
There must be a deeper meaning in here that i didn’t get.

You sir give a excellent answer for how to avoid a single one of many attacks, it Was a formidable answer, but all attacks can be answered with the same 3 words “dodge”, “doubledodge” or “go away”.

“melee kick” – dodge
“worm/grub cast” – dodge
“shadow walk” – dodge
“projectile” – if range dodge, if melee do nothing
“AoE” in melee doubledodge, range go away
“drains life” – doubledodge
“missile barrage” – go away/dodge
“large channelled aoe” go away/dodge

That’s how You fight Lupi guys – easy

The question in the first topic was not how to avoid a specific attack (like wrote above) it was:

Why did they put red circles in a fight, in wich weather You stay in the circle - You take damage – wich is understandable, but also if You don’t stay inside, not even near it You also get damage from that attack.

What is the logic behind this ?

From not-a-elitist-hardcore-player point of view if You are not standing in a red circle you should not take damage if you are take damage as a punishment.

That was my original question here

Some players like Nikaido.3457 has answered why is the reason behind this “strange” cause of actions but still I don’t get why doesn’t anybody responsible for the dungeon do anything about it.

If this is how it supposed to work – You take damage always – than ok, what’s the point of giving players a hint in form of a “telegraph” that they should avoid this space or they will get damage…

more or less…

Lupicus Question

Dub.1273

I think everything has been answered here, i really don’t get your point.

Dub | [rT]

Lupicus Question

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

He’s asking for someone to make him german

Lupicus Question

Quam.7218

He’s asking for someone to make him german

Indeed that was the question ^^

But for real, thanks for all the tips about how to handle this fight – more knowledge is always good I will study the fight and eventually come with aon idea about it.

It’s more of a question about the mechanic of the fight and not how to handle it with a specific class.

I simply cannot understand why there is damage even if one does not stand in the circle I don’t know if it should be like that or if it’s a bug.

Those circle led many players like me to a wrong understanding about the fight simply put “if you are out of the circle you are safe…” not. Dying many times and wondering what the hell is going on here… why should I do double dodge even if not standing inside the “damage zone”.

In all other GW2 dungeons i learned than once you are not standing in circles you don’t take any damage – this rule does not work here at Lupi fight, and that was the topic about I just thought there is something wrong here apparently not… I just let Lupi and Arah go. Maybe in next two or three years will something happen in this matter as for now it’s not woth my time in this dungeon… maybe I just need look for an easier game or content I’m not so skilled as most of you.

Thank You all for helping! Appreciate that really much.
Quam.

Lupicus Question

Chryzo.8906

Quam, don’t abandon Arah, the dungeon is sooo much fun And once you caught on that pretty much all aoe circles in the dungeon are either bugged (bella meteor, lupicus regarding aegis) or smaller than the damage area, you’ll be fine ^^.

Tons of us pass him every day, you can too

Lupicus Question

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

But lately I figured out that it is maybe a line of fire issue. Meaning that if there is an red circle behind you the projectile will hit you!

We had this figured out last Fall. It’s only limitation is it didn’t work with the “Homing” snot Bolts that sort of took a random path towards you and could still hit you in the Air while dodging. (waiting to get back into one of these to see if that’s changed or not). Infact when staying at range, it’s better to just be on the complete opposite side of the room if you’re the one he’s got the Homing-missile aggro for

• the other thing we figured out… he keeps Aggro on 2 different players at the same time alternating 2 different “2 shot” ranged attacks against both of them. Ideally you WANT to be the target for those if you’re the Guardian or Mesmer b/c other classes that run/dodge better are more suited for avoiding the Life Siphon.

Lupicus Question

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

i use roll for init, withdraw, and signet of agility for lupi, i always wear berserk gear no matter what since you’ll still die if you get hit by whatever hardhitting attack any boss uses (on a thief anyway)

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer