Magic Find - Chests

Magic Find - Chests

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Feskur.2901

Feskur.2901

As the topic sais.
Does magic find count for chests or only monsters you kill?
Best regards // Felix

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Isaiah Cartwright

Isaiah Cartwright

Guild Wars 2 Lead Designer

Next

They only work on creature kills, chests however have a better table then normal kills. We wanted to avoid the game play of killing a boss and then having to equip your whole Magic Find set before opening the chest.

Also magic find is calculated from when the creature is killed so it’s also not viable to use your normal gear set kill a boss then switch to magic find.

~Izzy @-’——

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Leokins.3206

Leokins.3206

An official answer! I was wondering about this forever!

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Thank you for the information I found it enlightening -Keep running orr with MF.
Can do something about the RNG on Legendaries precursors while you are around there please.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: ledzep.9504

ledzep.9504

wait so, if you kill a boss and he gives a chest, magic find wont increase your chance at better loot?
like for the chest at the end of the mad king boss, magic find does nothing??

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

So it does not work either on the Mystic Forge, I suppose? That would save me a lot of time speculating.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Eley.1907

Eley.1907

What about Mystic Forge, opening bags (like Heavy Miner’s Bag) and salvaging weapons? There’re rumors that magic find matters there. It likes it’s better chance to get a Glob of Ectoplasm with Magic Find food when salvaging

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

He said it only works on creature kills. I’m sure that wouldn’t include opening bags, salvaging or using the Mystic Forge.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Isaiah Cartwright

Previous

Isaiah Cartwright

Guild Wars 2 Lead Designer

It does not work on the Mystic Forge, magic find only effects the loot generated from killing monsters. (this includes crafting materials, higher tiers of loot like rares & exotics… etc… )

Granted Zomoross is mighty and I’m sure he randomly gives more favor to those who are wearing a tin foil hat in real life and are spinning in their chair while clicking the forge button he is evil like that.

~Izzy @-’——

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: ledzep.9504

ledzep.9504

im confused. When a boss die and leave a chest behind, is that considered ‘’loot generated from killing monsters’’?

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Celestea.4105

Celestea.4105

Basically what he is saying is that Magic find does not affect chests at ALL. What he meant was that when a boss is killed the loot is automatically rolled at the time of death, so switching to mf gear or consuming food after a boss dies will not increase your chances for rarer loot, only before you kill the boss will it do so.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Dervy.7901

Dervy.7901

Now you guys watch the price of all Explorers sets plummet; No one is gunna buy/craft them anymore. Looks like I no longer have a use for my Magic Find Set!

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: vjek.4270

vjek.4270

It does not work on the Mystic Forge, magic find only effects the loot generated from killing monsters. (this includes crafting materials, higher tiers of loot like rares & exotics… etc… )

Isaiah,
Any chance this will be changed in the future so that crafting materials will be EXEMPT from Magic Find and presumably Diminishing Returns ?

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

So… in other words I should just sell all my MF gear because the only thing worth using MF on, Chests, aren’t affected.

This makes me happy that I can clear my bag full of MF gear. But also sad that I wasted the time and coin on crafting/gathering and upgrading it.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

/m WTB tinfoil hat and chair that spins, 5g or B/O!

(side note: TY TY TY for finally addressing this mystery!)

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: atarigenocide.4987

atarigenocide.4987

It’s useful if you’re farming. That’s about it.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Sebyos.4089

Sebyos.4089

Remove magic find and give us decent loot and no DR.

80 Norn Necromancer Max : JC, WS, TL, AT.
100% World completion.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: vjek.4270

vjek.4270

It’s useful if you’re farming. That’s about it.

Until Diminishing Returns kicks in, which some claim is within 20 kills of the same creature and/or somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes of killing the same creature, whichever comes first.

Translation: It’s only potentially useful for the first hour of play (per day), at best, in my experience.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

im confused. When a boss die and leave a chest behind, is that considered ‘’loot generated from killing monsters’’?

It is not. As stated chest loot is not affected by MF. They said that when the boss is killed your loot was selected at that exact moment in the chest. So switching to mf would be pointless. Now any loot the boss its self has on it would be affected by the mf if you had the gear on for the kill from what i understand.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

Hey Isaiah since we’re on the subject of MF, does all MF percentage of your equipment add up, and simply increase the percentage of all rare item drops from monsters?

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: CrimsonGear.4817

CrimsonGear.4817

So, Magic Find doesn’t affect salvage kits or gathering? JUST monster drops?

Guess I’ll be mothballing that suit, then.

Turkey Waffles [TURK]
FORT ASPENWOOD

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Wor Machien.9657

Wor Machien.9657

Why do people keep asking to clarify?

It’s only from killing things. He says “It does not work on the Mystic Forge, magic find only effects the loot generated from killing monsters.”

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: thetreebranch.4831

thetreebranch.4831

Isaiah Cartwright

They only work on creature kills, chests however have a better table then normal kills. We wanted to avoid the game play of killing a boss and then having to equip your whole Magic Find set before opening the chest.
Also magic find is calculated from when the creature is killed so it’s also not viable to use your normal gear set kill a boss then switch to magic find.

Are chests affected by diminishing returns? IE, for the Mad King, if you ran that twice in 30 minutes (even if on two different characters), you’d get less dungeon rewards, but do the quality of the chest drops change?

Tyrick

LOL…who actually thought MF affected this stuff? It would be the stupidest design choice ever.

Maybe because in Diablo 3, it worked just like that (though I think they later patched it so MF didn’t work on chests, it was initially that way). Many people would run around with an autohotkey script that would change their armor set with the click of one button right before the finishing blow on a boss or before they opened a chest.

Sometimes, you just don’t know…

(edited by thetreebranch.4831)

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Thank you for telling us. Now I don’t have to dress in “meh” gear during my dungeon runs and infront of the forge. I’ll just wear my awesome stuff.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: applekwisp.2139

applekwisp.2139

so there’s no reason to use magic find?

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Jorgamund.7803

Jorgamund.7803

THANK YOU for clearing this up!

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Frans.7930

Frans.7930

What about (personal) Trick or Treat backs? Does magic find influence what you get out of them?

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

What about (personal) Trick or Treat backs? Does magic find influence what you get out of them?

Only creature kills…

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

Good lord, thank you! I’ve been wondering about this for weeks!

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Anger.3506

Anger.3506

wait what? If im in Orr farming mobs for an hour or more, I will start to see diminishing returns on my drops? WHAT? I am not a botter…. seriously why are regular players being punished.

Can i just log out and log back in and resolve the issue?

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

From the above statements by the dev, I ’d say:

Magic Find affects the loot dropped by the creature if worn when the creature is killed.

Loot dropped by a creature refers only to what you get from the corpse.

Chests are not affected. Not even chests set to spawn by killing a specific NPC/NPC group.

What is inside dropped containers (aka bags of materials) is not affected

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

wait what? If im in Orr farming mobs for an hour or more, I will start to see diminishing returns on my drops? WHAT? I am not a botter…. seriously why are regular players being punished.

Can i just log out and log back in and resolve the issue?

Doubt it – it would be one of the first tricks they’d program a bot to do.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: TheLordQ.1857

TheLordQ.1857

Thanks a bunch for the info on magic find and chests. Very appreciated!

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: PotatoOverdose.6583

PotatoOverdose.6583

Well, since mf is only useful for farming orr, time to mothball that armor/jewelry set.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Tyrick.9867

Tyrick.9867

Isaiah Cartwright

Are chests affected by diminishing returns? IE, for the Mad King, if you ran that twice in 30 minutes (even if on two different characters), you’d get less dungeon rewards, but do the quality of the chest drops change?

Tyrick

LOL…who actually thought MF affected this stuff? It would be the stupidest design choice ever.

Maybe because in Diablo 3, it worked just like that (though I think they later patched it so MF didn’t work on chests, it was initially that way). Many people would run around with an autohotkey script that would change their armor set with the click of one button right before the finishing blow on a boss or before they opened a chest.

Sometimes, you just don’t know…

It makes more sense in a loot game like D3, but point taken.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Granted Zomoross is mighty and I’m sure he randomly gives more favor to those who are wearing a tin foil hat in real life and are spinning in their chair while clicking the forge button he is evil like that.

Isaiah, someone here is going to record a YT video of themselves spinning in a chair while wearing a tinfoil hat attempting to get The Hunter.

If I don’t get The Hunter, I swear I will spawn a Ginosaji to smack Zommoros with a spoooon!

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Pig.5827

Pig.5827

A little frustrating that this is just now getting answered. During time when people were running The Mad King Dungeon there was a lot of people that had asked this question in the forums and did not get a direct answer. (Along with Diminishing returns effecting chests as well).

I understand that it isn’t Arenanet’s job to give out their formulas on how things work in the game, but during the sprint to obtain Halloween items, time is important as it can be easily wasted by not managing it correctly (such as running a dungeon repeatedly and saying that loot is unlucky rather than a diminished return or kittening your damage by having 5 party members in magic find gear to increase their odds on better drops.).

If this was answered before, i apologize, I had not seen it nor had anyone I had talked to.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Katastrofi.5816

Katastrofi.5816

I don’t get how MF is useless? I find the majority of rare/exotics from farming mobs/events in Orr.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Since I’m new to MMo’s, I automatically assumed it was just to increase the chances of getting higher level Masterworks and Rares from looting. To me, that alone was well worth the effort to always have some form of magic find boost’s. Money is so restrictive to me, I won’t even consider not having it.

For running the Mad King, I received more from the initial mob then the chest at the end.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: boneduste.4023

boneduste.4023

If I read this correctly, the ToT bags, Heavy Bags, etc have their contents determined when you kill the monster. With that said, killing a monster and THEN putting on your MF gear is useless, you need to have the gear on at the time of death. So the ToT bags that I have saved up already have their contents determined in the database and it is not random when I click to use it (no MF gear when I collected them ).

With regard to the crafting materials, I think that refers to the crafting materials you GET from killing, not using a crafting skill.

The one question I do have is harvesting. Does MF gear affect the chance of getting bonus items when mining ore or harvesting crops?

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

Uhm no, seems more you have to equip MF gear even before you engage the enemy, to get better loot. And no, looking the dev answer, MF gear is just related to enemies, not bags, mining, chests etc.

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: boneduste.4023

boneduste.4023

Uhm no, seems more you have to equip MF gear even before you engage the enemy, to get better loot. And no, looking the dev answer, MF gear is just related to enemies, not bags, mining, chests etc.

I don’t think it would be before you engage, since the system doesn’t know if you even deserve loot (and therefor roll what the loot would be) until the enemy is dead and it tallies who did enough damage to warrant loot.

Since bags are valid loot from enemies and are not chests, I don’t see why this wouldn’t qualify. A bag is no more than a collection of loot that only takes up 1 space, while a chest is a different ‘animal’ altogether.

The dev said nothing about mining or gathering.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

Removing the MF stat altogether from the game would be a good idea.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: huudis.8790

huudis.8790

I like magic find. It gives you opportunity for having better chance to obtain better loot than you would normally get.

you should think it as it’s a choice you have to make. You wear armor with good stats boosts or you wear armor that makes your character lucky.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Strucker.8274

Strucker.8274

Hey shout out to anet actually giving legit answers, I remember many games where the devs wouldn’t tell you anything about the mechanics.

Anet gets a cookie

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Thank you so much for clarification on this.

For the love of god people, stop asking for clarification. This has been one of the most to the point (tin foil hat story excluded) posts from a dev ever.

RIP in peace Robert

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

magic find only effects the loot generated from killing monsters.

Thanks for the clarification. Also, *affects.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: Targren.6073

Targren.6073

I don’t think it would be before you engage, since the system doesn’t know if you even deserve loot (and therefor roll what the loot would be) until the enemy is dead and it tallies who did enough damage to warrant loot.

It would have to be before you engage, since you can’t change gear in combat, and the loot is already determined when the mob dies.

Since bags are valid loot from enemies and are not chests, I don’t see why this wouldn’t qualify. A bag is no more than a collection of loot that only takes up 1 space, while a chest is a different ‘animal’ altogether.

The dev said nothing about mining or gathering.

“magic find only effects[sic] the loot generated from killing monsters.”

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Magic find only affects the loot generated froming killing monsters.

Keywords:
ONLY – only, forget everything else they didn’t happen to cover or mention…ONLY killing things

Loot Generated – Loot generated, aka when monsters die, they generate a set of items based on your MF, this does not affect your personal bags or any bags in general you get—That’s a separate and irrelevant generation. Aka when you get a bag from loot that you can open, MF does not help what you get from it because whatever you get from it is generated from opening the bag NOT killing the monster.

Guys come on now haha

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Magic Find - Chests

Posted by: kwstas.4965

kwstas.4965

Anet said that “magic find affects loot generated from killing mobs”. So when you open a SOLE chest it has no difference. But what happens when you kill a boss and that generates a BOSS chest?
You killed a mob to get a chest to get loot.
Is magic find applied or not?