Mai Trin Boss Fractal Fight

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: kuromisa.3516

kuromisa.3516

Hi, first time on the forums. I want to ask the rate of success in completing Mai Trin’s final fractal boss as I’ve had a few occasions pugging where people die too often at the Cannon AOE dodging part.

So far, this has happened three times to me.

The first time was I’d be the last one standing by the end of the third cannon AOE phase where I then fall victim to Mai Trin at some point in the fight. We tried 3 times where the party keeps dying at that part until the party leader rage-quitted (He died all the time btw) wasting a lot of my time trying to level up in Fractals.

The second time was when again people dying to the cannons until just the 2nd phase where the party leader (different pug) went AFK and ofc died. Of course two party members kicked him resulting in us getting booted from the fractals and again wasting my time.

Third time, myself and another dude from the party managed to stay alive. We had 3 attempts until we did finish. Nevertheless it was slow and tedious because of some players not really playing their part in the dungeon, ie just dodging and staying alive for the duration of the fractal.

Personally I don’t think dodging those cannon AOE is hard, just right timing but it seems that people are kittenly bad at dodging.

Am I to expect behaviour like this in the higher level fractals as well? (We were in 14 both times)Or am I just having bad luck with bad PUGS
And it seems that the party leader leaving issue has still not yet be resolved.

Any sort of answer or advice to delegate this frustrating issue is welcome.

Apologies for my terrible English, it is not my first language.

(edited by kuromisa.3516)

Posted by: IrisTheCasual.3742

IrisTheCasual.3742

If you main a warior or a mesmer, she is soloable. Sandy who just successfully put her down at level 50 can offer some advices for mesmer. As for warriors, I’m sure many of the regulars here can offer you some tips.

For avoiding aoe, the only way is to spread out and practice. Having swiftness is a nice bonus to move around.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I’ve honestly never had trouble with this fight in high level fractals. It’s a snore, but it’s fairly easy. On elementalist, if I fail one dodge or get trapped, I can use mist form and be invulnerable for long enough to get out of the red circles of death. I think the best thing is to have a well oiled machine of a team, quick to revive and slow to resurrect (if you full die during cannons, it is likely anyone trying to resurrect you will get fibbed by a red circle before you’re up). If they wait, as long as 2 people survive the cannons, you should be okay to resurrect your fallen members.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: AnnieGYG.6842

AnnieGYG.6842

Mai Trin is easily the fractal lets me leech all my dailys – “Guardian only, Mai Trin” is a regular group I see and who am I to not go for it :P I’ve never experienced much of a problem with it at higher levels in pugs but up to 20 it seems to pose massive problems for groups.

She can be a bit rough for low AR players and I’ve just come out of a level 10 pug after 6 attempts becasue of people all stacking on top of each other in the cannons phase meaning 3 deaths per cannon phase. Sadly I was out on warrior so missed all my blocks from guardian to res. For the average mesmer not of “Sandyesque” skill it’s an espcially rough ride.

But like others have said – spread out during the cannons phase – if someone else is already there go to another place.

Just focus on kiting/blocks/defence until you clear her stacks – warriors going hundred blades on her with 10 stacks is a waste of space.

Try to stay together during her fight so guards and mes can throw group condy removal fields more easily and the electric actually fires at her.

Not much more to say, but a good guardian definitely makes this a lot easier, especially giving the team blocks during the cannons phase in case you get caught out.

Property of Gandara EU

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

One tip: stealth prevents AoEs. Order of Whispers spy kits, for instance, can be very useful for getting some breathing room. Same with mass invis on Mesmer.

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Hmm it’s more a mechanics fight than anything. I haven’t really PUGed this in a long time so I’m not sure the level of understanding that PUGs have with this one.

Her first phase can somewhat just be stacked while she and Horrik speak. Sticking together closely will keep her nearly stationary and keep her well in the AoE of Horrik’s lightning attack. I assume most of the PUG problems here arise from player scattering to the four corners of the map and Mai keeping 10 stacks. Also, do keep an eye on her direction if you are far from her as you can tell when she will target you and shoot.

Like maxinion said, stealth is a great way to make the cannon sections less tedious. You can SR all together (if you have a thief in the party) and then have people use their individual Ash Legion Spy Kits. Other than that, just don’t go ham running around during cannon phases. Pick a spot and just avoid cannons by the smallest movements you can.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

I thought she reset when you stealthed. Or did they fix that?

Saint.5647

O.o

I don’t know! We did it about a week ago. Although not everyone had a kit. May test though.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Spoj The Second.7680

Well if one person doesnt stealth yeah it works. But the problem with that is you get 5 cannon barrages firing at one person. Which is kind of /awkward seeing as they then have to run around the whole area to avoid it. Which will most likely cause some cannon fire to land on those stealthed peeps. Atleast thats the problem we ran into when we were first getting used to that fractal. Either the one kiter got overwhelmed or pulled cannon fire onto the stealthed people or we all stealthed and Mai reset to full hp during the barrage. So now we just spread out and have war banners incase someone slips up.

This is also why when we have a thief i tell them not to stealth themselves during barrage because it means the cannon fire that would target them focuses on someone else, giving them a harder time.

(edited by Spoj The Second.7680)

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Well if one person doesnt stealth yeah it works. But the problem with that is you get 5 cannon barrages firing at one person. Which is kind okittenward seeing as they then have to run around the whole area to avoid which will like cause some cannon fire to land on those stealthed. Atleast thats the problem we ran into when we were first getting used to that fractal. So now we just spread out and have war banners incase our noob dragon-lover elly slips up repeatedly, so we need at least the coordinate efforts of 3 warriors, best tank eu and a revive orb to get him up.

Saint.5647

xD Luckily It has worked out fine for me but I don’t run fractals more than maybe once a week. Getting off pretty lucky there, or rather the poor kiter.

Although without the stealth the small movements thing worked for me/us every time.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

deSade.9437

If only that thing worked for me.

IrisTheCasual.3742

I swap Bolt to the Heart for Zephyr’s aura over there. The extra swiftness really helps for ele, and when I’m in a tight spot, double dodge away + obsidian focus are what I normally do. Dekeyz has a really good tip for ele at Mai Trin.

maxinion.8396

Spoj, didn’t Sandy use stealth several times in his Mai Trin solo without any reset? Or did it not reset because there was a dead body in the area? That’s the only situation where I’ve seen “the entire party stealth”— normally I’m the only one in my party doing it because I Am Bad and need the extra breathing room with Mai.

Right here btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQnG8p1JxT0#t=178

Posted by: Sanderinoa.8065

Sanderinoa.8065

Spoj, didn’t Sandy use stealth several times in his Mai Trin solo without any reset? Or did it not reset because there was a dead body in the area? That’s the only situation where I’ve seen “the entire party stealth”— normally I’m the only one in my party doing it because I Am Bad and need the extra breathing room with Mai.

stealth resets them after a certain amount of time, mass invis is just enough for them not to reset. Its why you can see me not actually chaining my stealths, but instead taking breaks between them.

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]
Retaliate is recruiting. again!
Fancy a Read? Extensive PvE Mesmer Guide

maxinion.8396

stealth resets them after a certain amount of time, mass invis is just enough for them not to reset. Its why you can see me not actually chaining my stealths, but instead taking breaks between them.

That’s super cute. I guess Order of Whispers Spy Kit also lasts the right amount of time, but an SR would cause a reset.

Thanks for the tip!

Spoj The Second.7680

What sandy said. She doesnt reset instantly. But when we used SR she started to reset well before stealth ran out.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I get idiots on high level pug teams for this fractal all the time. Trust me, it doesn’t get that much better unless you make sure early on that your teammates aren’t inept. Also I’m not really sure how soloing this on a warrior would go because I haven’t really attempted but… I suppose it’s possible. Guess you’d have to just be extremely familiar with the fight.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Should be much easier with the “oh shi… aegis” profession.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

kuromisa.3516

I get idiots on high level pug teams for this fractal all the time. Trust me, it doesn’t get that much better unless you make sure early on that your teammates aren’t inept. Also I’m not really sure how soloing this on a warrior would go because I haven’t really attempted but… I suppose it’s possible. Guess you’d have to just be extremely familiar with the fight.

It is somewhat sad though that you still get people who can’t dodge at higher levels….eventhough it is relatively easy to dodge.

kuromisa.3516

A lot of useful advice given -
Mass Invisibility – I usually use my Mesmer for fractals so that helps a bunch
Order Spy Kits – Haven’t tried these before, will be looking into it
Spreading out – Haven’t seen anyone stacking yet but…..there’s always a first
Thank you for the advice

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Is Mai’s shadowstep shot dodgeable? If so, when should I dodge?

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

AnnieGYG.6842

I was in practising after me and a mate duo-d some low levels last night and found her on the third lot (after freaking dredge reset twice) and from what we discovered it can’t be dodged, it must be blocked.

(Disclaimer: I’m far from an expert though)

Property of Gandara EU

(edited by AnnieGYG.6842)

Sanderinoa.8065

it can’t be dodged, it must be evaded.

I’d say this is pretty inconsistent

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

maxinion.8396

Is Mai’s shadowstep shot dodgeable? If so, when should I dodge?

I’m not 100% sure it’s dodgeable, but it’s blockable. Do it right after she points (perhaps a half-second after she points).

One of the nice strategies I’ve picked up from [DnT] is to run around at distance with my mesmer with offhand sword equipped. I’m always furthest away, so she always shadowsteps to me, but I can always have my block on 4 up in time, and I can prevent her shadowstep.

Sanderinoa.8065

It’s not dodgeable. That’s pretty much it. Blocks, invul and reflection works.

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Spoj The Second.7680

Its a real kick in the teeth for necros.

deSade.9437

Along with everything else in the game..
/cough

AnnieGYG.6842

it can’t be dodged, it must be evaded.

I’d say this is pretty inconsistent

Sorry I will edit I assumed things like blurred frenzy or distortion evades worked on it, (I was stuck on guardian myself) Nice to know they don’t.

Property of Gandara EU

Posted by: kmaeropa.3986

kmaeropa.3986

Just a few small tips and from my own experience:

Spread out. In my opinion and experience, the people that die the most are those that around. It’s a lot better to just walk around or maneuver around the circles with swiftness.

Energy. Energy sigils are extremely helpful. Save your energy and dodges for when you absolutely cannot move out of a group of circles.

Invisi. Going invis is nice, the only problem is that if not everyone is invisible, most of the circles target those who are visible. Which usually isn’t an issue if they can invuln or dodge through most of it. In terms of mass invising everyone, I’ve only done it a few times, but Mai Trin only resets her health and you still only need to DPS her to 75%, 50%, 25% once. (e.g., You mass invis at the 25% mark, she regens full health, then when the aoes are over, you just dps her down to 0)

In terms of experience with pugs, everyone has their good and bad share. I’ve never experienced bad pugs at higher levels (40+), at that point people usually know what to do. The worst experience I’ve had is pugging with 20s or below. In terms of the fractal leader leaving or being kicked, the best thing you can do is open the fractal and start your own party, or at the very least get a partner or friend who can do so.

Bubbles Utonium X, Khali Mae – Maguuma [PYRO]

Lindbur.2537

Thanks for the info guys, now I can stop wasting dodges trying to find out.

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Mai Trin’s shadowstep is the thief dagger/pistol dual skill. It has a ranged shot component and a shadowstep component and I’m pretty sure that if you dodge the pistol part then the shadowstep doesn’t happen or lands no damage.

For the cannon phase make sure you have extra run speed and a weapon mobility skill if possible.

For Mai Trin herself it can be a good idea to float just outside melee range. You should still get group buffs, you can still dodge her pistol shots, she should always be close to her debuff field, you don’t get may bleeds, and so on. She uses her shadowstep attack on the most distant target.

Wethospu.6437

If only there was a site telling most of these things.

Lindbur.2537

rainbowchainmailguy.com

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

Mai Trin’s shadowstep is the thief dagger/pistol dual skill. It has a ranged shot component and a shadowstep component and I’m pretty sure that if you dodge the pistol part then the shadowstep doesn’t happen or lands no damage.

For the cannon phase make sure you have extra run speed and a weapon mobility skill if possible.

For Mai Trin herself it can be a good idea to float just outside melee range. You should still get group buffs, you can still dodge her pistol shots, she should always be close to her debuff field, you don’t get may bleeds, and so on. She uses her shadowstep attack on the most distant target.

You can’t dodge her pistol shot, you have to block/reflect/absorb.

Nova [rT]

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

if you reflect you teleport to her right?

also I kittening hate this fight, it’s literally harder than lupi solo etc. I am so unbelievably bad at this – I’ve never lived through a single cannon phase. the boss herself is easy but the cannon phases are too hard for me.

IrisTheCasual.3742

When you are teleported to her, she actually takes a big damage herself, and you can dodge the next bleed-melee attack. One thing Sandy didn’t mention is mesmer sword skill #3 can be used to block the shadowstep attack. I find it extremely cheesy =_=

maxinion.8396

When you are teleported to her, she actually takes a big damage herself, and you can dodge the next bleed-melee attack. One thing Sandy didn’t mention is mesmer sword skill #3 can be used to block the shadowstep attack. I find it extremely cheesy =_=

Do you mean sword 4?

What’s cheesy about intelligently using active defenses?

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

may i say that an elementalist scepter/focus(and possibly almost anything not full zerker) can solo ress the Whole team? (did at 49).

Issue with the fractal:
A single unexperienced player will prolong the fight because mai Attacks Always the farthest player (so if you are not the farthest you won t be hit by her Teleport move).

How to fight cannons part:
Don t run in Whole map.

Each player should go in a corner…and just move when the red circles appears…its easy since you aren t even oneshot if you miss.

Moreover cannon shots spread to 5 players..if you run packed you get targeted by 5 if you are alone in a spot you will have far less aoe (1/5 exactly).

BUG: red circles are totally unconsistent if you go too near the wall….

HOW to dodge mai skill:
She lift her arm for a second or two….that is what you need to evade…..the teleport attack will come few seconds later but if you ve been already hit there s nothing you can do (just invul).
REMEMBER: she Attacks Always the farthest player….think of it expecially when you are ressing players.

If you have any non zerker equipment her damage is really low at any level.

P.S. the fight is nowhere hard….it justs show the usual issue of anet not making mechanics clear……its like swamp, there are wrong hints everywhere and nothing to figure out how things really works…

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

Posted by: Enaretos.8079

Enaretos.8079

Mai Trin’s cannon phase is all about this :

Attachments:

Snow Crows member since January 2014
My Twitch

Posted by: noobgood.8762

noobgood.8762

Mai Trin’s cannon phase is all about this :

Standing in AOE circles?

Lindbur.2537

No, worse.

A remnant of times past.

Sanderinoa.8065

Do you mean sword 4?

What’s cheesy about intelligently using active defenses?

Actually she’s referring to spawning a sword 3 illusion just in time so it takes the shot like a bodyguard. It’s nowhere near easy or reliable though, so I didn’t think it was worth mentioning

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Sanderinoa.8065

HOW to dodge mai skill:
She lift her arm for a second or two….that is what you need to evade…..the teleport attack will come few seconds later but if you ve been already hit there s nothing you can do (just invul).

Would you then say it works like lupicus and you van dodge it by dodging the I initial cast? Or is this just to get out of melee range once she’s already hit you through your dodge?

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Its a single attack:
DOdge the first shot (dodge when you see her lifting he arm because the shot itself is invisible but has a sound) and the second part won t even trigger…
If you already got hit by the first part…well you have already been hit by the Whole attack.

The first part only tell is her lifting her pistol and taking aim….no flashes no lights no thunders….its like kohler of ac catacombs with the difference of being single target and Always directed at farthest player.

You can even ask a tank to stay far to be the target but that way you will struggle removing stacks.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

Wethospu.6437

rainbowchainmailguy.com

If only…

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

Mai Trin cannon phase is all about killing the players you hate the most by running in circle around them to spawn moar AoE. Best PVP (better than pvdoor and bunker wars) in the game, close call with CoE p2 golems.

We need a “made his party die” leaderboard.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

(edited by Nikaido.3457)

IrisTheCasual.3742

@Sandy: thanks for clarifying it.

@Nikki: LMAO !!!

Posted by: OneManArmy.9732

OneManArmy.9732

tactic for ele (s/d) and thief (p/p & bow):
1. black powder spam > ele’s blast (~6-8)
2. swap to bow>shadow refuge
3. smoke screen > bow blast
4. swap to p/p > ele’s blast (~6)

cannon phase skipped

active phase:
headshot spam, icebow freeze in electric field > melee faceroll. repeat

(edited by OneManArmy.9732)

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

if your using stealth one person still has to run. if your all stealthed, AI thinks its out of combat and resets

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”