Make Dungeons Great Again

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: R O C.6574

R O C.6574

I don’t want to spend an hour getting ready to do a raid, then another 2+ hrs actually running the raid. Can’t the dungeons get a little attention?

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

+1 I do miss them and raids is complete different content, it will never replace dungeons. Besides that, the image is a true story

Attachments:

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Fractals are intended to be the end-game 5-man content that ANet is supporting going forward. They’re not going to suddenly start supporting dungeons and fractals, as there just isn’t the ROI for it to be worth it.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Chaos.5072

Chaos.5072

Who ever heard of an MMO that abandons dungeons.

They are like a staple to the genre. And before you say “well fractals are dungeons”

Yea, they are, but it’s just 1 dungeon and all the other ones deserve some love.

R O C.6574

Fractals are intended to be the end-game 5-man content that ANet is supporting going forward. They’re not going to suddenly start supporting dungeons and fractals, as there just isn’t the ROI for it to be worth it.

ROI? The dungeons were always very active until they nerfed the rewards. There was a good full year where all i did was PVP and dungeon runs.

It sucks because i have 2 different dungeon recipes (Plague & Bloodstone Fragment), but it just takes too long to get a PUG together and finding a team to run Arah that doesn’t wipe every 2 minutes is getting harder and harder…

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

They recently stated that designing an instance for 4 paths wasn’t a good use of time and resources, but why do we need 4 paths in an instance? I’d be happy with just one if it meant we would get some of the dungeon-type content for HoT maps…there’s so much potential for follow-up stories!

Like:
Assaulting a Blighting Tree to plant Auric bombs at the base or something, and Malyck would be the final boss. That would even tie up the loose end that everyone has been complaining about, and have a good opportunity to show what the Exalted can actually do rather than be in trouble pretty much incessantly.

An actual Defense-oriented dungeon where you have to hold out in VB night against increasingly difficult waves of foes in order to defend the survivors of a pact wreck that were unable to escape with the rest of the injured refugees and unable to link up with any of the Pact forces that continued on into the jungle.

In Bloodstone Fen, a dungeon centered around White Mantle and Jade Armors to help bridge the narrative gap that non-raiders missed in terms of lead-up to the actual explosion or something. Maybe chasing Lazarus’s sarcophagus or whatever he was being kept in while the White Mantle try to remove him from the area (timeline-wise, occurs at the same time as the 3rd wing of the raid) in order to protect him from the raiders who are attacking the keep. Heroes fail, but they learn important information about what the White Mantle are really doing (not soon enough to prevent it from happening, however).

So much room for so many small stories to be told, especially with the new and amazing mechanics Anet keeps adding.

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Posted by: pranker.3748

pranker.3748

They recently stated that designing an instance for 4 paths wasn’t a good use of time and resources, but why do we need 4 paths in an instance? I’d be happy with just one if it meant we would get some of the dungeon-type content for HoT maps…there’s so much potential for follow-up stories!

Like:
Assaulting a Blighting Tree to plant Auric bombs at the base or something, and Malyck would be the final boss. That would even tie up the loose end that everyone has been complaining about, and have a good opportunity to show what the Exalted can actually do rather than be in trouble pretty much incessantly.

An actual Defense-oriented dungeon where you have to hold out in VB night against increasingly difficult waves of foes in order to defend the survivors of a pact wreck that were unable to escape with the rest of the injured refugees and unable to link up with any of the Pact forces that continued on into the jungle.

In Bloodstone Fen, a dungeon centered around White Mantle and Jade Armors to help bridge the narrative gap that non-raiders missed in terms of lead-up to the actual explosion or something. Maybe chasing Lazarus’s sarcophagus or whatever he was being kept in while the White Mantle try to remove him from the area (timeline-wise, occurs at the same time as the 3rd wing of the raid) in order to protect him from the raiders who are attacking the keep. Heroes fail, but they learn important information about what the White Mantle are really doing (not soon enough to prevent it from happening, however).

So much room for so many small stories to be told, especially with the new and amazing mechanics Anet keeps adding.

Actually a few missions within the HoT story could quite possibly work as ’’longer’’ dungeon paths I guess. They’d only have to design the area for story purposes and then use the same thing for dungeon, while adding a few mobs, gates and bosses (which should not require any special design, since there is already plenty of different boss alike mechanics). Wouldn’t be bad to have a few more dungeons to run

[qT] Quantify – Hardcore PvE Guild

Rising Dusk.2408

ROI? The dungeons were always very active until they nerfed the rewards. There was a good full year where all i did was PVP and dungeon runs.

Return On Investment. Basically, for ANet to continue updating dungeons and adding new ones, it would take a large amount of effort and provide little gain to the actual company. Fractals make a lot more sense for them to work on because it’s less effort and the players like new content there just as much as they would new dungeons.

Dungeons were active because they were extraordinarily lucrative. I don’t agree with the way they nerfed gold rewards, but the fact that basically no one played them following the nerf was very telling that people on average were running them strictly for loot and not for the content itself.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

R O C.6574

Return On Investment. Basically, for ANet to continue updating dungeons and adding new ones, it would take a large amount of effort and provide little gain to the actual company. Fractals make a lot more sense for them to work on because it’s less effort and the players like new content there just as much as they would new dungeons.

Dungeons were active because they were extraordinarily lucrative. I don’t agree with the way they nerfed gold rewards, but the fact that basically no one played them following the nerf was very telling that people on average were running them strictly for loot and not for the content itself.

Of course it was strictly for the loot. And speed runs were cool just to see how fast you could clear the path. Even after the nerf, i was doing pretty good because of the dungeon recipes, but after a couple weeks it was impossible to get a team together capable of a speed run or even a decent run. They basically shut off one of my favorite parts of the game, and i can’t be the only one…

pranker.3748

Actually Dungeons were primarily ran because of the different themes each dungeon had, because of the story behind it, different weapons and armors, challenging etc. I remember doing dungeons in the first few days all in rare gear, mixed stats, could barely get past AC graveling. As time passed people got better at them, yet Anet released no updates nor did they release new dungeons. It was like that basically for 3 years. Towards the end they were primarily ran only because of money, I agree, but at first it was more to it than just that. Lack of new content (dungeon wise) made players hate them and everyone was just searching for new ‘’to go too’’ PvE place after a year or so post release (which came with Fotm 20/30/40/50 but same story happened as with dungeons).

Don’t think there would be anything wrong if we got new dungeon every now and then. Even if it’s based on LS or personal story areas and mobs. We need to scratch that ‘’wonder whats in that chest today’’ itch and some content is just so dull and seen one too many times.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Of course it was strictly for the loot. And speed runs were cool just to see how fast you could clear the path. Even after the nerf, i was doing pretty good because of the dungeon recipes, but after a couple weeks it was impossible to get a team together capable of a speed run or even a decent run. They basically shut off one of my favorite parts of the game, and i can’t be the only one…

I love dungeons too! Love the skins you can get and just the difficulty in dungeons compared to open world PvE. I’m fine with the rewards as they are, I just wish more people did dungeons. It gets boring having to relist my 1 person party on LFG 3 or 4 times in a row after it times out because no one even looks at dungeons unless its a daily :/

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

True enough. However, the same thing can be said about any PvE content. Most wouldn’t bother with Fractals if it wasn’t for the good amount of gold and many ascended gear drops. Most wouldn’t touch any of the Meta Events if rewards were brought down to equal those of dungeons during the nerf.
Good rewards are a part of what makes content fun. You will have to move on to something more rewarding to keep up with other players.
And even then, I still ran dungeons once in a while during the nerfed era. The reason why it rarely happened wasn’t even the low rewards but the fact that most of my friends quit after getting completely alienated by this change and how hard it became to get find any people to pug with, let alone experienced players.

Don’t think it is the most unlikely of turnouts to see new dungeons being added to game eventually. Never thought we’d see raids in this game either. Even if it might never happen. That is a possibility.
We can be happy about the current reward system for now as it gives the veterans a reason to run dungeons again with decent rewards thanks to the trinket recipes.

Posted by: Nana.9512

Nana.9512

They could actually use already exsiting maps to make new dungeon like instances.
For example, a party could go into the raidmaps (after the raidstory) to research the bandit and white mantle activity. They could find some remaining forces and fight them and with the ley line energy running wild right now, any types of bosses were possible.
Since the maps are already there they would only have to design the encounters and events.

Just a thought.

Posted by: MatthewGuba.6195

MatthewGuba.6195

I would 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc this if I could. I LOVED running dungeons. I still love running them but its nearly impossible to find a PUG. My understanding is that they wanted to push people towards fractals. This is fine, I do the daily T4s and enjoy them quite a bit. However, its a variety thing from my side. They nerfed rewards so hard that people would rather run fractal 40 for three hours than do a dungeon tour throughout Tyria. I’d love to see it become a point where people can do their content of choice because the gold efficiency is similar.

Sadly, I doubt it will happen but wanted to share my opinion in the event this is read and considered by the devs.

pranker.3748

I would 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc this if I could. I LOVED running dungeons. I still love running them but its nearly impossible to find a PUG. My understanding is that they wanted to push people towards fractals. This is fine, I do the daily T4s and enjoy them quite a bit. However, its a variety thing from my side. They nerfed rewards so hard that people would rather run fractal 40 for three hours than do a dungeon tour throughout Tyria. I’d love to see it become a point where people can do their content of choice because the gold efficiency is similar.

Sadly, I doubt it will happen but wanted to share my opinion in the event this is read and considered by the devs.

Generally you are right. But only thing I’d have to ’’correct’’ you would be that dungeons do make a lot of profit. 5g per 8 paths and kitten tons of tokens of your choosing + the gold and tokens from dungeons themselves. That’s major reward. Problem is that people don’t want to run content that has been the same for the past 4 years, everyone who did them for a while is burned out atm, sadly. Same is going to happen to Fotm or even raids, if they leave them as they are for a while (aka new fotm maps and reward fixes on current wings with introduction of newer wings).

Posted by: MatthewGuba.6195

MatthewGuba.6195

Pranker, you’re absolutely right with your correction. It’s coming from a perspective I had not considered hopping into dungeon running late and that is the burn out factor.

I’ve been trying to think of a way to spice up the dungeons to make them more appealing (I’ll spare the details of my thoughts because they are pretty awful), but short of adding paths all my solutions would essentially be forcing people to run something they have done to exhaustion which isn’t ideal. Considering the resources required to make new paths between level design, fight mechanics, story, it doesn’t seem beneficial to dedicate the limited assets in that manner with everything else that’s going on in the game.

I wish I could come up with something because the dungeons are amazing and the effort that must have gone into making them sustainable content for an extended period of time is evident. I guess the best bet is to open an LFG as a Shepard and see if anyone is interested while on.

Thanks for the reply though, it definitely got me thinking in a manner I wasn’t previously.

Posted by: gimrob.9071

gimrob.9071

Yes, please make more reasons to run them.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

The only thing I want from dungeon is to re-balance it to make it a tool for leveling. AC explorable runnable at level 10, while Arah explorable runnable at level 70. Open world PvE leveling can get boring. I would like running dungeons to break the monotony of grinding Hearts.

Fractals should replace dungeon as five man endgame content.

All I remember from dungeon is stacktics and I am happy that Fractals didn’t go that way.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

(edited by runeblade.7514)

Rising Dusk.2408

Actually Dungeons were primarily ran because of the different themes each dungeon had, because of the story behind it, different weapons and armors, challenging etc.

And—unfortunately—all of those things are exactly the overhead that made them unsustainable. A new weapon set for every dungeon, major terrain-building overhead, the need for major story elements, custom enemy models and animations, etc. Fractals suffer none of these problems or they’re all substantially reduced for them

I remember doing dungeons in the first few days all in rare gear, mixed stats, could barely get past AC graveling. As time passed people got better at them, yet Anet released no updates nor did they release new dungeons. It was like that basically for 3 years. Towards the end they were primarily ran only because of money, I agree, but at first it was more to it than just that. Lack of new content (dungeon wise) made players hate them and everyone was just searching for new ‘’to go too’’ PvE place after a year or so post release (which came with Fotm 20/30/40/50 but same story happened as with dungeons).

I remember all of that too. I ultimately agree that it’d be awesome if ANet had the staff and capability to expand Dungeons, Fractals, and Raids all in unison. That said, dungeons have huge overhead as discussed before, and their attempts to create new dungeons resulted in a lot of work for very little gain.

Fractals are in a great place right now. Some may argue that they need to be harder, but this is mostly a result of power creep in the classes than the content itself. Mistlocks are uninspired right now, but they know and that’ll change going forward. I’ve seen firsthand that introducing new players to Fractals inspires the same wonderment that you and I experienced 4 years ago with dungeons… We’re just a bit jaded having seen one thing and now knowing another.

Don’t think there would be anything wrong if we got new dungeon every now and then. Even if it’s based on LS or personal story areas and mobs. We need to scratch that ‘’wonder whats in that chest today’’ itch and some content is just so dull and seen one too many times.

Ultimately, yes, we need a steady stream of new, instanced, PvE content. Fortunately, raids are great and that team has done a wonderful job of creating a sustainable pace. Additionally, the raid team has helped the fractal team with a number of things and they appear to be setting a good pace for themselves as well. I’m looking forward to what they produce, especially with the continuing story of the Chaos Isle fractal.

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Considering how frequently anet can pump out black lion ticket skins – a new weapon set for a new dungeon seems like a very lazy argument.

If all new fractals are going to be recycled old fractals – sure terrain isn’t something they need to make much of either.
How well do we think continued cut&paste terrain is going to go over really?

Personally I’d have been in support of “HoT dungeons” being on par with raid difficulty – with the same kind of mechanics. Albeit with dungeon setting ( 5-man, party based, daily reset etc).
Along with this it could easily also offer ascended gear for tokens – thus new armor skins aren’t needed at all.

One could easily extend it to being able to swap for example – auric basin dungeon currency to aurilium. Or even directly offer auric weapons for x tokens.

Obviously that ship has already sailed for HoT. I sincerely hope Anet learns their lesson for xpac 2. I’m not holding out any hope at the moment however.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

pranker.3748

Considering how frequently anet can pump out black lion ticket skins – a new weapon set for a new dungeon seems like a very lazy argument.

New Dungeon weapons would be obtainable through gemstore only anyway xD

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

They cancelled any underwater content and now cancelling dungeons and new legendaries; I think anet needs to take a step back and realize what actually needs fixing. Even blizzard knows better and is constantly updating old features to keep players interested.

Posted by: Aeon.6397

Aeon.6397

Okay so before I get into it, I am a veteran player, since the gw1 beta. I remember logging over 10k hours on that game over the 10+ years i played it, and never left it running while afk unless at lucky rings occasionally. Also have logged almost half that in a third of the time on guild wars 2.
At first like every other veteran i didnt like what became of guild wars 2, it was an entirely different game, but I gave it time and fell in love with it.
Logging on and having a goal in mind, whether it be making a legendary or making a 100k gold. It didnt matter
Being able to dungeon crawl like the old days, with even more paths available was awesome! tripled the content in my head after hearing there was only 8 dungeons.

Fast forward to now
Players log in once a day to do dailies, once a week for raid, then go home.
there no reason to grind a dungeon, theres no unique drop that looks awesome, there no reason to farm gold because you can buy it.
(this isnt all players but a high majority)
Im pretty much a loner. I do a lot of my own running around.
But now im worried, finding raid teams for me is tough, i dont really have any big guilds, nor do i like them. and finding a group of raiders that are good and not elitist is the biggest pain ive had to suffer. (yes there are some awesome groups out there but they are all already in a cliche and its hard to get into their runs)

Morale of the story
Can we add some new dungeons, with their own drops, a cool skin that you dont buy from the gem shop or with black lion tickets?
i miss being able to LFG and have fun with random players
yeah i know the gem sales fuel your company, but the people who buy gems wont stop buying them because theres another way to get weapons.