Melee....is it prohibited?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Strifetoe.4502

Strifetoe.4502

I have a level 80 thief, and the game so far (pvp & pve) has been great. However it seems once I step into a dungeon, all the details and special graphics from spells and abilities make melee very difficult as times I cant see my own character or the ground hes on. It is very difficult in some areas where your in a small room fighting a mob or boss and the camera forces in zoom and then you cant see a kitten thing over all the spells etc…anyone else having this issue? It makes me use my bow or pistols in which dont seem to do as much damage. I am not the best player, nor the worst however dodging is difficult if you cant even see if your targeted as melee.

I have a very fast pc and good video card, however it would suck if i had to turn graphics down to see what i was doing.

Posted by: CrazyGoNuts.9536

CrazyGoNuts.9536

you’re in luck, turning your graphics down doesn’t help.

Posted by: Strifetoe.4502

Strifetoe.4502

:(
guess ill stick to my bow

Posted by: Krakah.3582

Krakah.3582

It’s the particle effects making it near impossible to see the target at times. More so during WvW since it can be completely buried with 30+ players on it. I believe there was a good reason Blizzard made the PvE mobs in instances larger. It’s so players could at least see the bloody target without it being buried under effects.

-KNT- BG

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

I’m an S/D thief and I have no issue with effects obscuring dungeons, even at maximum settings. I can understand in WvW, but in 5-man instances, no issue whatsoever. What dungeons are you doing?

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: Loki.4871

Loki.4871

Depends on the dungeon. Caudicas’ manor (or however you spell the twit’s name) is a big giant “I hate you” to the camera, especially inside the building. Otherwise I find it okay. If you find you’re dying a lot, I suggest you look at getting Toughness from armour, jewellery or even traits. You can get along without it fairly well in most pve, but in the dungeons it can make the difference.

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

In regards to see who it is you’re attacking, what I want more than anything else in the world is a target displayed on your minimap. If a mob suddenly dodges behind me or out of my FoV, I wanna be able to see him on my minimap and snap to that direction (provided I have him targeted first).

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

i play a melee thief, and i can’t say i have issues going melee in dungeons, no. sometimes i have to get out of combat and switch to pistols (only until i heal enough through signet of malice), then i go back to my daggers and start killing people again.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

Dungeons in general seem like a cruel prank on thieves.

Not only are enemies capable of swatting us down with one hit (which is not telegraphed in any animation usually) but they’re almost completely immune to blind.

User will be infracted for this post.

Posted by: AsteriskCGY.5931

AsteriskCGY.5931

Well I have a half melee Mesmer and I must say being in melee is annoying. I end up leaving because there’s some sort of PBAoE, or the boss just runs, or some other ground target thing. Don’t spend a lot of time hitting the boss.

Posted by: Arcalas.9368

Arcalas.9368

once u learn the fights and each path i the dungeons u will know when to be in melee and when not to be in it.

Norn “cows” go moot.

Posted by: Djinn.7213

Djinn.7213

Not only is melee ok, it’s great in many fights.

You just need to know when to back off, this game is made so you have to mix your playstyle in order to be sucessfull.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

Shooopa.5632

Dungeons in general seem like a cruel prank on thieves.

Not only are enemies capable of swatting us down with one hit (which is not telegraphed in any animation usually) but they’re almost completely immune to blind.

only if you run super mega squishy glass cannon pistol whip haste. like i said, i play a melee thief just fine with dagger/dagger in dungeons.

here’s what i run. basically, lay caltrops and aim at groups for death blossom, if you’re low on health or too many enemies attacking with projectiles, pop dagger storm and it’s a guaranteed full heal against groups. i have gear specced for power + condition damage, and partially healing power. replace the signet with smoke screen depending on the situation.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAoYlcmKP3eS5E+5EBPDjiU/Dkt7xVtqWB

you might have to copy/paste the link instead of clicking and being redirected.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell