Most difficult boss in the game?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

Excluding bosses that can infinitely scale in Fractals, what boss encounter do you think is the most difficult for a 5 man group to handle? Does this change if we include open world encounters?

For this, boss shall not include enemies like the shatterer or Tequatl.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

Posted by: Lapiy.7160

Lapiy.7160

First fractal bosses don’t not scale infinitely (The cap right now is level 50 use to be 80) and I would have to say the last boss of grawl there is so many things going on in that fight and just being in the wrong spot gets you killed and its not a dps race like most fights in this game(not a very good explanation of the fight), hell even triple worm is one big dps race. Other then that pve is easy for the most part and unless you are trying to 5 man a world boss cant really think of anything else.

Servers: Crystal Desert, Underworld, Eredon Terrace
Guilds: [TDS] The Desert Squad-Retired, [bM] Badmash, [BoRP] Bunch Of Random Players
Always looking for fights gvg’s etc just hit me up!

(edited by Lapiy.7160)

Posted by: Stonecaduceus.5638

Stonecaduceus.5638

Agreed. Legendary Grawl Shaman has killed me more than anything else in the game.

80 Guardian/Elementalist/Warrior
Wurm’s Bane
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

The only hard thing about grawl shaman is the bugged aoe attack that tends to hit you in dodges. As for a 5 man group, I’m not really sure if there is a ‘hard’ boss in this game. My vote probably goes to the legendary priest with eternity in front of arah.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

TheKillerAngel.3596

The only hard thing about grawl shaman is the bugged aoe attack that tends to hit you in dodges. As for a 5 man group, I’m not really sure if there is a ‘hard’ boss in this game. My vote probably goes to the legendary priest with eternity in front of arah.

Have you tried 5-manning the Legendary Risen Priest of Balthazar?

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

We killed him with 7 people relatively easy.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

The stupid HotW boss that Sandy just solo’d recently?

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

TheKillerAngel.3596

We killed him with 7 people relatively easy.

Neat. If you recorded it that would be awesome. Doesn’t have have an attack that counts down and insta kills you?

Posted by: Sanderinoa.8065

Sanderinoa.8065

His attacks are fast but single target, so a 5 man group has it easy with him

My vote probably goes to the legendary priest with eternity in front of arah.

lol, his gs aa is a reflectable projectile, haviz and I duoed it before very casually

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]
Retaliate is recruiting. again!
Fancy a Read? Extensive PvE Mesmer Guide

(edited by Sanderinoa.8065)

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Have only 9-man recorded but the difference was miniscule.

Sanderinoa.8065

Have only 9-man recorded but the difference was miniscule.

dis, rite?

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Dub.1273

His attacks are fast but single target, so a 5 man group has it easy with him

My vote probably goes to the legendary priest with eternity in front of arah.

lol, his gs aa is a reflectable projectile, haviz and I duoed it before very casually

He has three phases, the first one has reflectable projectiles, the second one unreflectable projectiles that do kittenloads of confusion and some mesmer gs 1 like skill that does moderate damage. Third phase is full melee where he teleports and kinda oneshots you and all allies close to you with his giant whirl. He did probably bug out then.

As for balthasar, aside of the video sandy posted where noone had an idea (as we never did that fight before, or at least, I did not) he’s generally pretty easy.

Dub | [rT]

Sanderinoa.8065

He has three phases, the first one has reflectable projectiles, the second one unreflectable projectiles that do kittenloads of confusion and some mesmer gs 1 like skill that does moderate damage. Third phase is full melee where he teleports and kinda oneshots you and all allies close to you with his giant whirl. He did probably bug out then.

He doesnt hit too hard though, the unreflectable projectiles are only in one direction, and dont do confusion from what I recall, the mesmer GS1 attack is the reflectable projectile I talked about, and thats the one that does like 5 stacks of confusion per second. The teleport thing is pretty easy to avoid because once he charges it he wont adjust where he’ll jump so if you just move a bit he’ll miss entirely. the giant whirl is just lame xD it doesnt do a lot of damage and is super easy to avoid as he just whirls all over the place at a slow pace.

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

(edited by Sanderinoa.8065)

Dub.1273

quote=3959546;Dub.1273:

Âww yiss.

Dub | [rT]

Dub.1273

He doesnt hit too hard though, the unreflectable projectiles are only in one direction, and dont do confusion from what I recall, the mesmer GS1 attack is the reflectable projectile I talked about, and thats the one that does like 5 stacks of confusion per second. The teleport thing is pretty easy to avoid because once he charges it he wont adjust where he’ll jump so if you just move a bit he’ll miss entirely. the giant whirl is just lame xD it doesnt do a lot of damage and is super easy to avoid as he just whirls all over the place at a slow pace.

Really? I just remember the last time doing it, started with 5 broken pieces and ended with 6. :<

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

This is correct, I tried soloing him once on ele, didn’t have high enough dodge/invuln/reflect up time to succeed, but one class like mesmer could definitely make it easy since the main problem is the confusion stacking auto attack. Also later realized that there are two pillars that I could have used to los him and hopefully avoid a lot of damage like crates for alphard. Too bad almost guaranteed to never get another chance.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

Hotw story final boss. :P

Sanderinoa.8065

nooo, dont bring him up x_x

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

has anyone meleed this boss? I remember having lots of trouble even as AH guardian.

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Yes. HoTW Story boss is ridiculous. The birds! Not the birds!

Erm we did sort of melee him. The first time we did him it was very yolo. More recently we found we can get a few rushes off on him and kite him around structures in melee. LoSing him around things actually solves the bird problem.

He’s still a massive kitten though.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Sanderinoa.8065

I was challenged to do a solo of him

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Saint.5647

Haha yes :P I thought I was PMing Iris with that but it was actually you! I’m sure it’s doable but, I just don’t know how haha.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

With range it’s pretty easy as you can easily kite. But in melee he hits like a truck.

Saint.5647

Figuring out how to survive the birds actually made it easier to stay close to him. It’s a wasted double dodge on them but just going out of his LoS will solve bird problem. Then it’s just his attacks to deal with.

O_o Although I jumped in the water and got a really nasty surprise in there. I hope one day I can have a shark pit to thwart random challengers with.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Sanderinoa.8065

Haha yes :P I thought I was PMing Iris with that but it was actually you! I’m sure it’s doable but, I just don’t know how haha.

Ive been there once so far, but after soloing the path in front, I didnt have a lot of time left, sadly. Ill see if I go on with it another time :P

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Out of all the bosses I’ve done so far, I think the most difficult was TA Aetherpath boss 1.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Has anybody managed to solo the Krait Witch in Timberline Falls? She’s one of the few open world Champs I can’t solo due to her summoning Veteran(!) adds as well as mobs that explode when they die for tons of damage.

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Out of all the bosses I’ve done so far, I think the most difficult was TA Aetherpath boss 1.

Slick and Sparki? I say that fight is definitely up there in terms of difficulty.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

Has anybody managed to solo the Krait Witch in Timberline Falls? She’s one of the few open world Champs I can’t solo due to her summoning Veteran(!) adds as well as mobs that explode when they die for tons of damage.

I did it, abused the terrain a bit and it was still pretty tough. Recorded it so I might upload the vid soon.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

Posted by: Pewintodo.4138

Pewintodo.4138

>> Hotw story final boss. :P <<this!

Definitely OP for a story boss.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

I want to see a Slick and Sparki solo.
Besides, Clockheart is very fun boss to solo
Oh and I wonder if Ooze Pit is duoable. I did trio, and it was in YOLO mode, so probably planned duo would be possible.
Foreman Spur is soloable, though meleeing him is kinda not an option because of the spins (Clockheart, for example, is more melee friendly if you have clones/minions to take his aggro).

/speaking from a mesmer point of view

Posted by: VideoGamermike.5813

VideoGamermike.5813

joins saint in wanting a shark pit Dr.Evil would be proud

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

I want to see a Slick and Sparki solo.
Besides, Clockheart is very fun boss to solo
Oh and I wonder if Ooze Pit is duoable. I did trio, and it was in YOLO mode, so probably planned duo would be possible.
Foreman Spur is soloable, though meleeing him is kinda not an option because of the spins (Clockheart, for example, is more melee friendly if you have clones/minions to take his aggro).

/speaking from a mesmer point of view

Like so?

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Aww that’s really nice strategy I didn’t think about it! thanks

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

When the molten dungeon came out during the event, the dredge and charr bosses were beast. On our first run, I went with 4 guildies and the whole lot of them went down. Ended up having to solo the berserker so the party could get back up. The TS was absolutely alive with chatter and terrified screams. Of course, now that they’re fractal bosses, they’re a walk in the part \O.o/

Shaman is pretty easy as long as you have a guard. Although I have done it without a guard, it’s generally less chaotic with a guard.

Champion cave troll in AC is now pretty tough with all the CC’s that come with him. Fears, dazes, stuns quite a challenge.

Oh, also try Kol Skullsmasher solo for some fun. he’s a Giant boss in a cave that deaggros when you try to pull him out. He’s in a cave in Harathi hinterlands. Fighting a giant in a closed environment is GREAT fun.

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I may or may not get lol’d at for saying this but I find Alpha in COE to be extremely difficult if you’re not stacking. If he gets rebellious and decides to freely walk the room he can be pretty brutal what with crystallizing you and nuking you to death before the crystal breaks and all.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Most challenging boss I’ve soloed to date may be the archmage near Caer shadowfain.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

I may or may not get lol’d at for saying this but I find Alpha in COE to be extremely difficult if you’re not stacking. If he gets rebellious and decides to freely walk the room he can be pretty brutal what with crystallizing you and nuking you to death before the crystal breaks and all.

Lmao, I can totally imagine a disaster pug run where people are ranging him all over the place, then getting crystallized, then getting downed by the aoe, meanwhile Alpha regenerates due to poor DPS. CoE seem like it was specifically made to be stacked for, as a ranged fight is like exponentially harder due to poor DPS and more AoE circles and crystallization.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Lmao, I can totally imagine a disaster pug run where people are ranging him all over the place, then getting crystallized, then getting downed by the aoe, meanwhile Alpha regenerates due to poor DPS. CoE seem like it was specifically made to be stacked for, as a ranged fight is like exponentially harder due to poor DPS and more AoE circles and crystallization.

Exactly :P. COE is the dungeon I’ve run the most and as someone who always PUGs I’ve experienced some pretty horrible runs. If he decides to break the stack for what ever reason or he doesn’t get pushed in to a corner properly it usually ends up with either everyone dead or one person taking 20 minutes to solo him while everyone else has a conversation about how their day has went.
Or in P2 and 3 just after the golem boss when someone accidentally pulls the champion brute and you end up with 5 elites, a champion and Alpha all in one room T_T. So yeah, stacking Alpha is like the easiest boss in the game. Not stacking, the hardest xD, imho anyway.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

I’ll second the hunter in HotW, if you lack the dodges (which you probably will) all his hits just destroy!

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I think Alpha is actually easier solo/unstacked. You can simple walk out of the circle and still whack him constantly with melee. Not very group friendly or efficient to do that of course.

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

They need to drop that hotw story end boss in Arah p3, replacing the crusher/hunter combo… Do it!

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

They need to drop that hotw story end boss in Arah p3, replacing the crusher/hunter combo… Do it!

Can confirm hotw story boss is hard in smaller than 5 groups. 5 randoms can still faceroll it by kiting and rezzing since he has mostly single target/small cleave attacks.

Azrael.4960

Did a COE 3 path run with guildies the other night. Took a relative newbie in the guild through it. Was quite funny and frustrating at the same time watching him dance around the AOEs. Since he hadn’t really done it before, we decided it would be good to show him the pain that can come with being unskilled and not stacking.

So we did all three paths without stacking and each time it ended up being me (with my warr), another guildie (power DS necro) and a third guildie (another warr) smashing up Alpha while our guild leader (guard) was trying his hardest to keep the newbie (healing ele, yeh I know he’s a newb and wanted to try out a healing ele much like a GW1 monk) up and around.

Even just for laughs we aggroed the champ abomination after the laser phase to see how long it took us to kill him. Only took 2 wipes since we managed to pull him to the WP and we could basically respawn instantly on top of him.

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

Y u no AZREELL?

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

Azrael.4960

I don’t even..?

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I don’t even..?

For some reason your name looks a lot like a person who challenged Hendo to a duel of wits and then cowardly backed out. Your name is strikingly similar.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

I remember how everyone somehow corrupted Azreell to Azurell. Kept making me think about the Pokémon every time I saw it. :3

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

I love that boss the most kitten bosses in this game are rangers. The Huntsman and Kolah!
Now if oly they could make Kolah as strong as the other guy I’d be so happy.
And maybe buff my pigeons to that level of damage uhn.

And yeah, I sent Mr. Whisker to Azreells house again but no answer. Maybe my pigeons will grab that worm out of its mound.

(edited by deSade.9437)

Azrael.4960

I don’t even..?

For some reason your name looks a lot like a person who challenged Hendo to a duel of wits and then cowardly backed out. Your name is strikingly similar.

I’d certainly go for a duel of wits, with which whit’s wit would we weave wonderful wittiness