My Gripes with the Dungeon Community

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: KazNaka.4718

KazNaka.4718

So many people are so quick to kick / block when the slightest argument arises. It’s like a way of saying “I gotcha b****” at the slightest bad feeling. Good luck out there if you don’t have any dungeon buddies to go with you. You’ll need it.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

You had one bad experience and now you’re going to paint the entire dungeon community as bad?

If I did that, I’d never PUG.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

KazNaka.4718

The thing is, it’s not one. I’ve had a lot. It’s just that recently I’ve had 2 more happen.

And I’m not saying I’m purely innocent either. People just don’t care. You can block anyone you feel like at no expense. They don’t want to hear negative comments. They don’t want to argue. They want the last word.

KazNaka.4718

I guess what I’m trying to get at is the whole mindset that a lot of people have towards anyone not in their guild or friends list. It is so easy to judge someone as being bad. Your background doesn’t matter. It all depends on the person’s past experiences with other pugs.

The more bad experiences like these happen to you, the more close-minded you get towards other strangers. You sort of develop a tougher skin so you don’t get hurt or offended as much. And that’s what’s sad. How easy it is for things to get sour.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

This is an mmorpg. People suck…. but there are also good people to play with as well. Find a guild to do dungeons with, and chances are that they will not kick you for messing up or arguing with them.

Oh, and never. ever. play with kids on an mmorpg.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

colesy.8490

What was the argument about, and how were you (if you were) involved in it?

I never get kicked from dungeon groups.

Posted by: Brindled.2179

Brindled.2179

Let me preface this with how much I hate dungeons. However, I’ve only ever been in pugs that have been patient and cordial. A few times someone would become impatient and leave, but by and large my experiences have been quite the opposite of the OP.

I just can’t get over how much I personally dislike the linear clustermuck most dungeons are imo. The people I have had the pleasure of running with almost made it bearable.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I like experienced players in my Arah runs. If you wipe multiple times on Lupi and it’s clear who keeps going down, I’m going to kick you. If you’re undergeared for Arah, I’m going to kick you. If you think a Volvo is part of a woman’s anatomy, I might kick you.

What I’m saying, is I like people who are serious about completing the path. I’m not going to tolerate inexperience or incompetence unless I’ve explicitly agreed to run a newbie through said path and have the time for it.

I’m not a kittenty person, I just don’t put up with players who refuse or don’t want to learn how to do the paths.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I gave up on using that LFG website, tried for months, and would get kicked out of the groups about 90% of the time because of:

1- First time running it (probably accounts for 75% of the kicks)
2- Not being level 80
3- “Don’t have good enough gear”

Since than, I haven’t got into any groups for dungeons, because I am not going to stand around in Lions Arch typing in chat looking for a group, cause everytime I do that, it takes hours to find a group that will take someone that isn’t 80, or not running it the first time.

Joined several guilds, and most of them are just massive number guilds where they just want all the people to get more bonus’ and were nothing more than another chat room. It is really hard to find legitimately good guilds.

So hopefully the new LFG tool will help, but not sure.

I’m a patient, nice person, willing to learn and take instructions. But nobody wants to let in an inexperienced player, but the only way to get experience is to already have the experience apparently -.-

(edited by eisberg.2379)

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

This thread is funny… Usually people don’t get mad at you unless you’re bad… But there are exceptions…

But if people keep independently and consecutively keep getting mad at you, I’d start thinking about why…

I’ve added PUGs in the past because they showed they are good players. Not even too long ago, in fact.

Maybe the fault lies not with the dungeon community…

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

KazNaka.4718

The fault definitely lies in the community. I’m talking about the human-nature of it all. It’s not about how bad/good you are. If you’re good and rude, you’d still get kicked. If you’re good and people say you’re bad because of 1 mistake you made, you’d still get kicked….for talking out. You can’t express your point of view anymore because to them, you are a stranger and they don’t have to put up with you. After all, there are so many other people to play with.

you know, it’s really offensive to /kick /block someone. It’s like they’re given a final judgment with no say in the matter and no second chances.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Telling someone they’re bad isn’t a very good way to communicate with people, and you should probably expect a kick. Not that I have anything against telling people they’re bad and should uninstall, but you should expect backlash.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

So your complain is that you’re being removed when people no longer desire to socialize you due to some kind of odious personality trait that you might have?

… Welcome to the real world and how social dynamics work? Nobody has to put up with you if they don’t like you and nobody’s obligated to get to know you. You can talk out all you want, but they can remove you all they want. That’s pretty much the real world.

Go ahead, talk out to some random stranger in real life and see how long it takes them to blow you off.

colesy.8490

If it’s not about how good/bad you are and good, rude people get kicked, then why have I never been kicked? I’m nowhere near as hostile in-game as I can be to people on here, I wouldn’t even say I was good and I wouldn’t say I was the nicest guy ever, and yet I’ve never been kicked. Not even from those four guildies needing one more pug runs, even though there was tension in one of them.

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

I get kicked all the time for saying really mean things like “no, ogre runes are not more DPS than scholar’s or rubies”

Retired. Too many casuals.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I get kicked all the time for saying really mean things like “no, ogre runes are not more DPS than scholar’s or rubies”

Which is funny because I use water/monk runes on my DPS thief.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Why is that funny? Because its a troll build?

Get it.

Posted by: Anubarak.3012

Anubarak.3012

So I’m not the only one…
I got kicked 3 times at lupi in a “EXP ONLY OR KICK” group after they sad “lol, nub you cant melee him”

[rT]

KazNaka.4718

So your complain is that you’re being removed when people no longer desire to socialize you due to some kind of odious personality trait that you might have?

… Welcome to the real world and how social dynamics work? Nobody has to put up with you if they don’t like you and nobody’s obligated to get to know you. You can talk out all you want, but they can remove you all they want. That’s pretty much the real world.

Go ahead, talk out to some random stranger in real life and see how long it takes them to blow you off.

I hate to admit it, the real world’s harsh. Where have all the friendly/funny people gone

Kirschwasser.3972

Being friendly/funny doesn’t have to mean they put up with you if you’re obnoxious. There’s a difference between being friendly and being self-effacing. Given we know precisely zero about how you play into this but we’ve seen numerous examples of people complaining about not being allowed to be kittens, it’s kinda hard to assume you’re blameless.

KazNaka.4718

no, but being funny/friendly lightens up the mood of the group. The PUGs I’ve been running with are mostly quiet and serious. Even the smallest negative comment can have a large impact. I’m just tired of running with those kinds of groups.

I will take an inexperienced, talkative group over the most expert group any day of the week. At least those people wouldn’t sneer behind their screens every time someone makes a mistake.

(edited by KazNaka.4718)

Kirschwasser.3972

Well, I guess I have to agree on that premise.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

This thread is funny… Usually people don’t get mad at you unless you’re bad… But there are exceptions…

But if people keep independently and consecutively keep getting mad at you, I’d start thinking about why…

I’ve added PUGs in the past because they showed they are good players. Not even too long ago, in fact.

Well with me, it is before we even get into the dungeon, it is during the “Interview” after joining the group that I get kicked. So you are right, my fault that I don’t have experience -.-

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’ve never been kicked from a dungeon group. I’ve left plenty, but I’ve never been kicked from one.

Most of the time, whenever someone gets into a fight or argues with another player, if they don’t indignantly run the dungeon different ways until everyone gets killed twice, they’ll happily put the whole dungeon on hold for 10 minutes while they fight it out.

So I do wonder where a lot of “They always kick me!” stuff comes from. That said, going by these forums I wouldn’t be surprised if stuff like that happened.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

KazNaka.4718

Most of the time, whenever someone gets into a fight or argues with another player, if they don’t indignantly run the dungeon different ways until everyone gets killed twice, they’ll happily put the whole dungeon on hold for 10 minutes while they fight it out.

Honestly, I prefer arguing it out rather than “I’m right, you’re wrong, /kick /block”

colesy.8490

Well with me, it is before we even get into the dungeon, it is during the “Interview” after joining the group that I get kicked. So you are right, my fault that I don’t have experience -.-

1. Don’t join a group advertising experienced only
2. ask the group you do join that you’re new but willing and able to follow instructions
3. profit

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Honestly, I prefer arguing it out rather than “I’m right, you’re wrong, /kick /block”

Starting arguments with people is going to get you kicked. This isn’t too complicated to understand, and we’ve also told you this several times.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Gw2 Dungeon community: Skip, skip, skip, stack here, skip, exploit.

There is something seriously wrong with dungeons in this game. Stating the obvious but I don’t think it’s been stated enough. Seriously, every other game that I played involving dungeon content was extremely enjoyable but here in this game it’s downright frustrating so I don’t even bother partaking any more.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

There is something seriously wrong with dungeons in this game. Stating the obvious but I don’t think it’s been stated enough. Seriously, every other game that I played involving dungeon content was extremely enjoyable but here in this game it’s downright frustrating so I don’t even bother partaking any more.

Solution: Make a group and specify “No exploits/skipping”."

Not a solution: Coming to these forums and complaining about it over and over.

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Gw2 Other community: Spam 1, Spam 1, Spam 1.

There is something seriously wrong with open world in this game. Mindnumbing, brainless lagfest that rewards you for going alt-tab and watching a movie.

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

Someone kicks you just advertise on GW2 lfg that the person is giving away free ecto. ^.^

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

The main issue is a simple one thus I will keep this part short. In any game where you have no assigned class roles you will run into the issue where players (being logical) will try to clear content as quickly as possible to save time. When this happens more players will play dps roles vs support. Now a zerk build in this game no matter your class is going to give relatively kittenty support compared to a cleric build. The question to ask is how much support do you need? The answer not much as the game is not designed around it. Players will run optimal builds with optimal classes to save time and there is nothing wrong with that.
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Now the real underlying issue here is that content is too simple and too geared toward dps. In no game should the general max dps spec be THE SPEC to run. Content should be hard enough that running that is for the risky players and the elites not the causal and clearers. It says something about the design of this game and its dungeons when 5 players with many stat option all run zerker. I can not blame the players but it reminds me why dungeons content is often forgotten in favor of open world. When there was cash to be had by running CoF many players (including myself) jumped at it. Now that it is gone many have moved onto Champ zergs and other content to gain loot. If dungeon content was strong and or challenging that wouldn’t happen.

“But Guy there are still people running fractals at a high level how can you say it is not challenging?” It might be challenging but it is not strong. The majority of players do not run fractals and the reasoning isn’t particularly complex. Fractals are repetitive, a grind, and give very limited rewards. Additionally as the content gets harder and survival time shorter the builds push in the zerker direction all over again.

Basically it breaks down to that in open world you can run whatever build you like and in many cases not running full zerker can be advantageous. In WvW the builds are so diverse that you can run any build you like with any stats and still be very effective. Dungeon content = Zerker content which bottlenecks builds.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

Kirschwasser.3972

Actually… a lot of the great support in the game gets absolutely zero benefit from Cleric’s gear. Most of the best support come in the form of boons or reflects, healing, even in full cleric’s, just isn’t terribly useful.

I used to play a Cleric’s Guardian. Full maxed out exotics and ascended. I used to toss out insane amounts of heals. When I swapped to Berzerker’s, my team started doing better, not worse. Most people can stay up just fine on their own without the healing and most of the useful things I have are shouts and virtues which largely grant boons.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

The big thing people can’t quite grasp is that support and control work independent of gear in the game.

It’s a hard habit to lose, since most other MMOs require you to gear up to perform a specific role.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

So many people are so quick to kick / block when the slightest argument arises. It’s like a way of saying “I gotcha b****” at the slightest bad feeling. Good luck out there if you don’t have any dungeon buddies to go with you. You’ll need it.

You joined a guild group.

A pug group would never kick easily. It requires you to irritate more than one player.

Guild groups are excessively sensitive. If they get their feelings hurt, they’ll cry.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I wouldnt say guild groups are sensitive. They just communicate with each other and are unlikely to waste time keeping someone in a group if they all feel like they would be better off without you. When I run dungeons with my buddies we pug the extra slots and occasionally we get terrible players, if its mid run we will stick it out till the end, unless they are preventing our progress, then kick them and find a replacement for the next path.

Kirschwasser.3972

If I’m in a guild group and a PUG joins and is completely unresponsive to communication and does things like immediately skips mobs without any form of communication expecting us to go along… yeah, I might kick him.

It’s not that I hate skipping, it’s that I hate how nobody ever communicates it. Not everybody does it.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I wouldnt say guild groups are sensitive. They just communicate with each other and are unlikely to waste time keeping someone in a group if they all feel like they would be better off without you. When I run dungeons with my buddies we pug the extra slots and occasionally we get terrible players, if its mid run we will stick it out till the end, unless they are preventing our progress, then kick them and find a replacement for the next path.

When I mean sensitive, I mean sensitive completely. From the 20 terrible guild groups I joined in, they reacted with kicking me out of the group with me criticizing and advising on how to do it.

And this is being kicked from the first criticism from all 20 of them. I didn’t even get to nag a second time.

A pug group wouldn’t kick me from the first criticism. A pug group would only kick me if I continued to nag.

Yes, Guild groups are extremely sensitive.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Kirschwasser.3972

How did you criticize them?

Posted by: viciouspike.8624

viciouspike.8624

When in doubt don’t say anything that way you can’t do any wrong. When they mess up on part of a dungeon just direct them in the right direction saying something like “it might be easier to stack here” or “when you see this try to dodge.”

I have had super elitist people in groups where if we wipe once they rage saying the whole group is terrible then quits. You can’t please those people. It also helps if you take lead in the dungeon from the start by jumping in a spot that you want people to stack at then you agro and run back to the spot.

Bright.9160

You joined a guild group.

A pug group would never kick easily. It requires you to irritate more than one player.

Guild groups are excessively sensitive. If they get their feelings hurt, they’ll cry.

It’s kind of funny that you’re saying this to the guy that felt it was needed to make a post about how someone blocked him in game and how it hurt his feelings.

“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

ITT: “We don’t bother to actually explain fights, we just /kick anyone who doesn’t do exactly what they are supposed to after reading our minds.”

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

Bright.9160

ITT: “We don’t bother to actually explain fights, we just /kick anyone who doesn’t do exactly what they are supposed to after reading our minds.”

Implying we never take people with us and teach them things… Except, we do. It’s just not worth my time to explain a lot of things to PUGs, because typing it is quite bothersome, and chances are pretty high they’re idiots who won’t listen anyway.

Also the reason I hardly ever PUG, and if I do, it’s usually 3-4 guildies/friends and 1-2 PUGs to begin with.

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

Implying we never take people with us and teach them things… Except, we do. It’s just not worth my time to explain a lot of things to PUGs, because typing it is quite bothersome, and chances are pretty high they’re idiots who won’t listen anyway.

Also the reason I hardly ever PUG, and if I do, it’s usually 3-4 guildies/friends and 1-2 PUGs to begin with.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is where this board gets its reputation.

It isn’t your skill that makes you an elitist, it’s the unwillingness to communicate with the “commoners.”

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

It isn’t your skill that makes you an elitist, it’s the unwillingness to communicate with the “commoners.”

It’s not true. It’s very troublesome to teach the same thing over and over to a different group at a different time. I quit running w/ pug for a long time due to this only reason.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

(edited by SkyChef.5432)

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

After giving an in-depth explanation of each encounter in Arah path 4 twice a day for 2 months while farming for the Bloodstone Fragment recipe (which I never got), I lost interest in trying to teach pugs what to do. Most of the time they go AFK while you are typing to them, they don’t want to listen because they think you are being an elitist, or they just don’t understand at all. Very rarely did things work out well. So after all of that, I decided to retire to calling people names on the forums and making Youtube videos where I swear a lot.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Lots and lots of GW2 players will call you elitist simply for asking them to use a certain skill during a certain fight. But hey, being called an elitist isn’t insulting at all, so w/e.

Retired. Too many casuals.

Kirschwasser.3972

A lot of times you’ll try to tell PUGs how things are supposed to work and they’ll either ignore you or insist on their own idea despite never having actually done the dungeon before.

So yeah, communicating with PUGs sometimes gets pretty old pretty fast. There’s two sides of the coin and all.

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Yeah, if you’re being kicked then it’s an issue with you not with the community. Fix whatever deficiency you have whether it is your attitude, build or playing ability. Don’t blame others for your short comings. Most people don’t have your problem. If you’re getting blocked/kicked by a large group of people the issue is on you.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Bright.9160

Lol, you have no idea how much teaching I’ve done in both GW1 and GW2, in fact, I don’t think you can even begin to fathom it. Especially now that our guild has a lot of new members who are new to some dungeons. And I’m patient with all of them. The only times I lose my patience and occasionally my temper is when people screw up something I just explained by doing exactly what I told them not to do. Other than that, when kitten goes wrong, kitten goes wrong. I know not all runs are going to be perfect when running with new people.

Don’t pretend I’m some evil elitist who will only go with his super-pro friends because I can’t stand it when we lose 30 seconds in a run when you know absolutely nothing about me.

Trolling the forums is a pass-time for when I can’t actually play the game. I’m not the same person in game as I am on the forums, and as a matter of fact, not many people on this sub are.

Also, lol at trying to deny that the average player in this game is absolutely terrible and not worth your time. Because the ‘play how you want’ philosophy, most of the players in this game think they can do anything and succeed. Not only that, but most of the game actually works like that. The hand-holding is insane. And because of that, a lot of really bad players think they’re actually good, and think that when you’re explaining something to them, they don’t need to listen, because they know better anyway. Hence, they’re not worth my time.