[NA] GW2 Raid Training - Discord Server

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Swiftwynd.1685

Swiftwynd.1685

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6xir8j/introducing_guild_wars_2_raid_training_a_discord/

Hello everyone!

Guild Wars 2 Raid Training [NA Only] is a Discord server that has been operating since June to help provide a space for players who are new to raiding to have a jumping off point, and for experienced players to be able to share their knowledge and find other equally experienced players.

We believe we fill a spot somewhere between the toxic LFG “link 150+ LI Exp Only” mess and those who are already lucky enough to have a static group to run with. Instead, we aim to provide a network for players of varying degrees of experience to form up and become more experienced in a low stress learning environment. We are Guild-Agnostic, meaning anyone from anywhere can join us without having to formally join a guild and “rep” with us, so feel free to bring your guild members along for the ride.

Size and Scope: The TL:DR

We currently have over 600 members in our discord server and expect to grow larger in the near future. We conduct our runs every day of the week, often running two or three runs simultaneously if the demand is there and trainers are available. While we would love to expand faster, we are in need of more trainers to accommodate our growing population. Read more on this down below if you are interested!

Tier System – Experienced Based Progression

We use a “Tier” structure to track learning progress with each member that is based off of “your personal experience with each boss encounter.” We have a spreadsheet that we use to help players and Trainers keep track of each player’s “progress” in learning each individual boss. Each Raid boss or encounter has been sorted into one of four difficulty Tiers based on our interpretations of the mechanical difficulties and damage thresholds required to successfully complete the fight consistently. Once a player finds “all of the bosses within a Tier” as trivial, easy, and can clear them with very high consistency, we graduate that player into that Tier so that anyone who is looking for someone to bring to a raid knows that this person “knows their stuff” for any boss “At or Below” their Tier and so trainers will know that this person likely would benefit from training runs for bosses “One Tier Above” their current Tier.

The Two Types of Runs

Training Run – This is a run in which we expect to spend time explaining mechanics and helping players learn the encounter. The goal is not to achieve a quick, easy kill, but rather to get a first kill or at least learn the mechanics! Training Runs are generally conducted on content that is “One Tier Above your Tier” to give players a chance to learn the bosses and encounters that are “a bit” harder than what they are already proficient at killing each week. These can be conducted every day of the week, but generally occur more frequently from Wednesday to Sunday.

Clear Run – This is a run in which we expect to spend minimal time sorting out mechanic roles, and we expect everyone present to “know what to do” and to clear the fight in as few pulls as realistically possible. Clear Runs require that you be “In or Above This Tier” to participate. This is especially useful for players simply looking to get their quick kills completed early during the week to save more time to progress on Training Runs for bosses they are less experienced with. These can be conducted every day of the week, but generally occur on Monday reset and Tuesday to complete anything remaining from Monday reset.

Trainers Needed!

With all of the above said, the primary issue we have run into is that the ratio of Trainers to Trainees is out of sync: we have a lot of people interested in joining our runs, but this has exceeded our current supply of available trainers!
We have been hesitant about posting on the official forums and Reddit due to our relative lack of trainers, so for the time being we would prefer to hold off on linking the Discord directly (also, hello potential Reddit Hug-of-Death!) until we can build up our roster of trainers so that we can provide training to a larger community.

Swiftwynd.1685

Trainer Rules

We have a few ground rules for our trainers, and if these agree with your personal ethics on leading raids, please PM me or reply to this post:

Experience is Helpful, Not Required – While being able to already complete a full clear is nice, we are very fine with “newer” Trainers who are very familiar with the lower difficulty Tiered bosses running training runs on them! Or perhaps you are a very experienced raider who is less experienced at leading others? Don’t worry, our Trainers will help Train you to Train and will provide support and assistance!

No Public Shaming for Low Damage/Poor Builds – Keep it to private messages or receive consent from the person before discussing it openly. Always approach these situations as opportunities to improve, never to shame.

Calling Out Mechanic Mistakes can be OK – Calling out mechanic mistakes mid-fight is perfectly fine in Training runs so players can learn, but be polite and non-judgmental about it. E.G. “See how he was teleported? That is because he stood in Cairn’s Red Circles/VG’s Blue Circles.”

We Encourage Trainers to … Train! – We strongly desire to see our trainers run at least one Training run per week to maintain their Trainer status.

Encourage Good Play and Smart Builds, but Don’t Meta-Harp – It is fine to explain why roles/professions are META, and it is fine to encourage others to improve their damage and role mechanics, and help them improve their builds, but we do not enforce META builds as a requirement of our raids. A kill is a kill.

Encourage Role-Flexibility – Please have at least two or three professions and distinct roles you can bring as the Trainer. Part of training is to stress the importance of having role flexibility to those you train so that compositions can be more fluid and adjustable, particularly for the harder fights. Again, we don’t enforce the meta, but you also don’t want to have 7 Healers and 1 Tank and 2 DPS roles!

Consult Discord Staff in Emergencies – If you have any incidents, please address them with staff. We will support you and help you work through any issues you find while training!

If you would like to help others learn fights and work towards their Legendary Armor, we would love to have you! Please reply below, send a PM, or find me in-game (Swiftwynd.1685) and we will contact you as soon as possible to invite you to the server and show you around.

For everyone else, as soon as we have more trainers up and running, we will open this up to anyone on Reddit / the Forums.

Thank you all!

- Swiftwynd.1685

Posted by: Joxer.6024

Joxer.6024

Awesome…awesome…and just plain awesome! I might be looking you all up in the future! For all others, here is the chance to do that of which so many have said they cant do. No more excuses folks. +100 mate!

Swiftwynd.1685

Thanks We definitely want to open it up to everyone to join in the near future!

Posted by: Sorin Noroku.5342

Sorin Noroku.5342

Since this post, we’ve hit over ONE THOUSAND MEMBERS!!!! This community is fantastic and I’ve personally seen MANY people get their first kill on many bosses! I’ve trained all of tier 1 myself, and within one night we knocked them all out! Two even in one try! So many members are getting the raid bug here! Maybe you could be one of them!

The veterans are all quite helpful with new raiders, and love answering questions! We have a select few even as “mentors” for select roles who’s job is to assist with learning that role and helping with rotations!

I see far too many claiming raids are difficult, let us take you in and see if we can’t help that idea change to “fun” or “easy”!

Come raid with us!

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Glad to hear it mate heard quite alot on the forum that na raid scene was barren for na players.

Eu players see training pop up from time to time so glad that you guys seem to have the ball rolling aswell.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Glad to hear it mate heard quite alot on the forum that na raid scene was barren for na players.

Not really, just people in NA expect to be able to pug friday/saturday with 100% success rates on 1 pull or quit.

I wont say all NA raiders are done before mid week but a vast majority are, with the others being guild groups that are missing 1-2 people at best or training runs which poses the obvious conflict of people overshooting their desire for realistic success.

It’s very much a case of their time doesn’t align with others who play earlier on in the week with much higher success rates and them not willing to join communities like this one or other guilds willing to help them become a stable raider.

Sorin Noroku.5342

Sadly, I believe Tex just simplified NA’s issue…. vets will clear in the first day or two, and then the LFG is dry except for a guild needing a pug or two… not many people will post up, just check if there is a posted one. This leaves new players to attempt to find raid guilds, who, as some have told me, ain’t even interested in training, so much as clearing.

That’s one thing we’re hoping to solve with this discord! As I type there’s about three groups going, and more people asking when next will be up, and trainers saying when they’re next available!

Joxer.6024

Come raid with us!

Can I come on my Rev??!!

I kid…I kid…..but great thing you guys doing!!

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Well you are needed as hand kiter on deimos Joxer a permanent revenant spot almost =)

Sorin Noroku.5342

Come raid with us!

Can I come on my Rev??!!

Many of us play condi rev on most of the tier 1 bosses and some others just fine I wouldn’t mind a rev on my team with exception of Deimos/matt/samarog as break is low, and as it’s still pre-PoF, no range option.

Posted by: martyrAD.5148

martyrAD.5148

been trying to get into raids since i came back with word of the PoF release and breaking into raids seem to be quite the challenge

(edited by martyrAD.5148)

Joxer.6024

Come raid with us!

Can I come on my Rev??!!

Many of us play condi rev on most of the tier 1 bosses and some others just fine I wouldn’t mind a rev on my team with exception of Deimos/matt/samarog as break is low, and as it’s still pre-PoF, no range option.

Good to know!!