Need some insight. PVE wise.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: fittirc.8257

fittirc.8257

I need a little bit of insight or opinions from you guys. I greatly enjoyed the exploration portion of the game. It was fun leveling to 80. One of the things I was most looking forward to was the dungeon content. I was happy considering going with 4 other friends and dungeon grinding for the neat looking gear of which I thought the stats were amazing. But what I stumbled upon is the fact that the exotic gear you can buy from the Trading post has the exact same stats (granted there are just a tiny few you can’t) that come from dungeon grinding.

So I can basically dungeon grind over and over with friends to get gear that has the same stats as the gear you can buy from the trading post. To me, that’s not exactly fun considering the current difficulty of the dungeons and not to mention the prices of each piece of gear. Granted the skins may look different or even cooler. But it doesn’t feel as “rewarding”.

Another part of the game that piqued my interest was the legendary weapons. Am I correct that the legendary weapons have the same exact stats as exotic weapons? The same exotic weapons you can buy from the trading post? So I can take a few months (or a month if I have no life) to collect all mats, save 120g, save 525k karma, and so on just for a skin? Is that correct? Cause the only skins I saw that were somewhat interesting were the greatswords. Unicorn bows or staffs with rainbows is not in the slightest interesting at all.

My question for anyone that reads this: For the pve portion of the game, is this the only thing we’re to expect? What rewarding/fun experience are you guys having in the game that I’m missing out on?

Posted by: Evil.9061

Evil.9061

What you’ve described is the “endgame” as it currently stands in GW2.

Sure, people can list 8000000 things to do when you’re 80 yet none of them, to me, are very appealing. So Alt up or PvP up because if you have the skins you’re after and have completed your goals at 80, that toon is done.

Only time will tell what they introduce to PvE. With their current metrics, the Pve players are about 50% of the player base so it will be intresting to see where they go from here.

I don’t see many complaining about PvP and I don’t see many happy with PvE in it’s current from post 80.

Posted by: FourthVariety.5463

FourthVariety.5463

Substituting level progression with gear progression and call it “endgame” is not really ArenaNet’s style.

Posted by: yavi.3105

yavi.3105

Substituting level progression with gear progression and call it “endgame” is not really ArenaNet’s style.

But it is rewarding as hell. Think Diablo 2/WoW.
Farming for 2 months just to get a stupid-looking unicorn stuff (well, i kinda like MLP:FiM, but not the point) is useless, tedious and plain dumb. I do get my gear to smash mobs/players more effectively.

This game makes 100% sure that farming equipement AND exp doesn’t give me any plausible advantage.

Farming harpies on lvl 15 event with a 70lvl char with 70lvl equipement? Naah, downscaling, you get as pwned as the 15-lvl’s running around!*
Feeling powerful while mass-killing mobs with your hard-earned legendary? Naah, same stats as craft item costing 5-10 minutes to get!

*The traits DO give something. They are the only reason that leveling up is useful at all. If not for them everyone could stay at lvl 1.

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

Farming for 2 months just to get a stupid-looking unicorn stuff (well, i kinda like MLP:FiM, but not the point) is useless, tedious and plain dumb. I do get my gear to smash mobs/players more effectively.

This game makes 100% sure that farming equipement AND exp doesn’t give me any plausible advantage.

Farming harpies on lvl 15 event with a 70lvl char with 70lvl equipement? Naah, downscaling, you get as pwned as the 15-lvl’s running around!*
Feeling powerful while mass-killing mobs with your hard-earned legendary? Naah, same stats as craft item costing 5-10 minutes to get!

*The traits DO give something. They are the only reason that leveling up is useful at all. If not for them everyone could stay at lvl 1.

Have you went to a lvl 15 area as an lvl 80?You literally destroy everything-i can aggro 10 mobs and just nuke them in seconds.
Also the legendaries are for people who have too much time on their hands-just pick whatever skin you like and go with it.

Evil.9061

Go..with..it..where?

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Game is about aesthetics, not higher numbers.
But I believe Legendaries have like +5 more than Exotics, which is practically nothing, but I guess it makes your kind happy.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: FourthVariety.5463

FourthVariety.5463

I think WoW, Diablo3 and Torchlight 2 have that portion of the market pretty much covered. It does not make a whole lot of sense for ArenaNet to try and enter that section of the market. Even if some players of GW2 come from that section.

Posted by: yavi.3105

yavi.3105

Game is about aesthetics, not higher numbers.
But I believe Legendaries have like +5 more than Exotics, which is practically nothing, but I guess it makes your kind happy.

MMO is about theorycrafting and efficency for me. Vanity and looks are fun – but not 3-months effort fun. +5 more is worth a few hours of farm, not months.
Going back to the OP – dungeon sets are not worthwhile ATM. I find grinding low-level mats for gold → TP buys the most efficent method to get gear. Wich is sad.

Aesthetics doesn’t come into it (for me) either – i find most hard-to-obtain items looking far worse than drop/common ones. I hope that they would decide to keep pony-shiny stuff in gem store and get us some really cool legendaries.

Posted by: fittirc.8257

fittirc.8257

Thanks for your guy’s insight. I’m not much into aesthetics. I’ve decided to play torchlight 2 for a bit. At least I can grind and grind and receive a more rewarding experience. Good luck to you guys!

Posted by: Bleys.4176

Bleys.4176

Well that’s your idea of hmm hmm skill based game where everyone has the same gear.

Last time who tried to go that route was AoC and pretty quickly people just lost interest in running dungeons
for skins…. or to PvP for (fun)

And AoC went back to the traditional gear grind theme which is what MMO means for me as well.

Right now im just killing time with GW2 and am waiting for Secret Word to release some raid…

Evil.9061

Well that’s your idea of hmm hmm skill based game where everyone has the same gear.

Last time who tried to go that route was AoC and pretty quickly people just lost interest in running dungeons
for skins…. or to PvP for (fun)

And AoC went back to the traditional gear grind theme which is what MMO means for me as well.

Right now im just killing time with GW2 and am waiting for Secret Word to release some raid…

Coming into this game I knew very well I was going to have to change my idea of what “grind” and progression were. I didn’t know if i was going to be able to but I did know I enjoyed the classes and BWEs. After being 80 for over a week and in exotics when i hit 80 and a full dungeon set (skins), I honestly don’t think I’m going to be able to accept this as progression. For me, its just not rewarding and I don’t see myself, months from now playing without traditional rewards.

I beta’d TSW for 3 months and played live until I had all sets 10.4 (about a month). Raids will come around the same time as F2P.

I’m waiting for a few other MMOs that are in Beta currently. Though the MMO market hasnt produced a lasting hit in a while. (at least for me).