New Folks in Dungeon Forums [READ]

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

New Folks in Dungeons [READ]

Hello everyone!

Welcome to my post about a hot issue here in the dungeon community: Bringing non-80s into dungeons.

As of late, there have been several posts on this topic. The topic then derails because all of us are sick of reading it. Here is the relevant information

• Lowbies are perfectly capable of completing a dungeon run of the appropriate level

We all know this to be true. There isn’t a single member of the community arguing otherwise. However, those of you angry folks, be aware that although lowbies are capable of completing a dungeon, this can sometimes not be as quick as we want.

Important fact #1: No one should believe that a person’s dungeon group composition should be dictated by anyone but those in the group.

If a group wants to run full berserker speed runs, they have that right. If a group wants to run a full clear, they have that right. No one has the right to tell either group they can’t, as both groups are allowed to run the dungeon both ways.

• People need to learn to read LFG descriptions.

Descriptions are there for a reason. If you are running a lowbie group, post something like “Anyone welcome”. It will fill. I spent about 30 minutes last night watching the time trends of lfg groups of AC. Non-speed runs filled, on average, 23 seconds faster than speed runs. People are running these groups.

Important fact #2: Normal groups are out there, do post, and fill quickly. In 5 minutes, you will be able to find a group for any normally run path. If you are running an abnormal path, post your own.

• Dungeon veterans are willing and able to help dungeon newbies

There are several posts here on the forums, Teachers and specifically for Arah, Arah Vets. In addition, see the sticky at the top of the forums. More recent threads may be more useful, but it is still very much a tool to be used.

• If you come to this subforum for a build, you will be given the current meta build for dungeons.

What this means is that regardless of your feelings, people will give you the absolute best build for dungeons. This isn’t debatable. The best build for dungeons focuses on DPS. If you don’t want the meta build, do not ask. If you want advice on how to best use the meta build, or tweak it because you need extra survivability, the dungeon “elitists” will give you their best advice (usually along the lines of knight’s gear, but it depends). Arguing with the forum regulars about this will only cause infractions and the closing of threads. Be aware that if you are asking a question wanting advice, it is up to you to take it.

Thanks for reading, please stop posting those threads.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

(edited by Lilith Ajit.6173)

Lilith Ajit.6173

Also why aren’t my links working? Halps!

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Use url tags or just copy the link direct.

Lilith Ajit.6173

Tried to follow the guide In this here forum

URL tags?

[ARES]

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Personally, I don’t think people of level 80 or lower should go into dungeons, and that’s purely from personal experience. When I walked into a dungeon for the first time at level 20 or 30, I got obliterated, and did not have a very nice time. Despite being intended for these levels, the dungeons are very ill suited and down right hostile to new players of those lower levels.

I would advise leveling to level 80 first, getting some good gear, doing some Fractals, and then trying a dungeon.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Tried to follow the guide In this here forum

URL tags?

The BBCode formatting.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/faq/

Textile doesnt seem to work properly.

Lilith Ajit.6173

Got it. Also, Mad Queen, that’s likely true. But people want to do dungeons at their low levels, that isn’t going to change.

That’s good advice to folks who are willing to wait, but many aren’t, and they will come to these forums to complain that the dungeon community is bad because they don’t want lowbies. That’s why I posted this.

[ARES]

Posted by: mahariel.4981

mahariel.4981

I don’t mind lowbies, I remember months ago spoj taking a low-level thief to CM and he did fine. The problem is that 99.9% of level 80 pugs are bad, so I’m not going to risk trying to find pugs of a decent skill level (who are on the dungeon level) who can also gear appropriately to compensate for the lack of damage modifiers through incomplete traiting and lack of runes/sigils.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) | [LOD]
Morrï Mahariel | Serah Mahariel | Morrï
A bunch of amateur solos from yours truly

Lilith Ajit.6173

I don’t mind lowbies, I remember months ago spoj taking a low-level thief to CM and he did fine. The problem is that 99.9% of level 80 pugs are bad, so I’m not going to risk trying to find pugs of a decent skill level (who are on the dungeon level) who can also gear appropriately to compensate for the lack of damage modifiers through incomplete traiting and lack of runes/sigils.

Very true.

Nobody is obligated to take a lowbie in any dungeon. If they want to it can sometimes turn out alright but it’s by no means an obligation.

[ARES]

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

Dead dps do no dps!

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Dead dps do no dps!

Dead mob deal no damage!

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: Alex.9106

Alex.9106

Dead dps do no dps!

i prefer dead players if i have a choice between dead players or negative dps

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

I like the idea of this thread, it proactively addresses the dungeon community’s supposed toxic side or rather what brings it out. I see lots of comments from our veteran forum inhabitants saying things like “this thread again”. For example we usually get a Stacking thread on a near weekly basis.

Perhaps this should be stickied, or a more carebear friendly version should be written up and stickied with the subject
“New to the Dungeon Forums”

You think the mods would go for something like this?

I don’t want this thread falling off the front page for a while at least.

Lilith Ajit.6173

That would be really nice Neenja, I can change the thread name, that’s probably a good idea.

[ARES]

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

If we could get it stickied that would be great, it may reduce the number of threads and fires that get started with a simple, response of did you see the stickied thread, New Folks in Dungeon Forums [READ] ?

even if it doesn’t get stickied we could link it I suppose. But yes good job on this thread, we need something like this around here.

Lilith Ajit.6173

Aye. I don’t know who can sticky it. Probably need a moderator or CC Danicia. We could ask her. Sometimes she likes me ^^

[ARES]

Posted by: jessiejay.3625

jessiejay.3625

Want to add that people dont understand the different run types. Sometimes they dont care to read them.

-“P1 Speed 80`s” = level 80 TRAITS, geared, know path, know what to do (We ran this many times and dont have IRL time to waste nor teach. Not willing to be calm running past an average time we run it).

“P1” [no other description]= ya we may know the run or highly exp and dont feel like rushing. Dont care who joins we just want to get it done. Common sense a must at minimum.

“P1 anyone” = anyone, anything, lets go, (someone bound to guide or teach. They will carry the party through)

Those 3 types i would interpret so. Each is its own class and either join if you match or stay out. Stay in your dungeon running type lane. Dont join one your not and complain they are forcing you to do something.

Dont suppose you can play in the NBA if you only shoot hoops at the park now can you?

I was once new. I started my own run listing and told the party i was new. I was willing to learn and listen.

Newbies these days DONT say they are new and DONT listen. They wonder why exp folks get tired of teaching.

Below 80 is possible yes but its a waste of time to struggle sub-par for no reason.

Ms Jessie ~ Captain Jess, 2012
FracTonic|OmniPot|Golden Arms
Ad Infinitum & The Ascension

(edited by jessiejay.3625)

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

I dont know if my teachers thread is worthy, but I would like it to be sticky(ed?) to the top. That would be neat, although I guess thats wishfull thinking.

For this thread, I believe it should be sticky(ed?) to the top.
This is one of those threads that should be up there and/or a merge of this one and your FAQ one

Sarah

Lilith Ajit.6173

I dont know if my teachers thread is worthy, but I would like it to be sticky(ed?) to the top. That would be neat, although I guess thats wishfull thinking.

For this thread, I believe it should be sticky(ed?) to the top.
This is one of those threads that should be up there and/or a merge of this one and your FAQ one

Sarah

I’ve requested the sticky for this, and the CC said it was too much of a rant. She suggested I remake one into a FAQ thread. So I did that. And now I’m waiting for her PM.

[ARES]

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

Oh cool ^^ hope it gets the stick upgrade ( oh..? That sounded alittle weird >.> )

Who do you pm to ask? Do you think I should give it a go?

Sarah

Lilith Ajit.6173

I go with CC Danicia, were buds. I think. I hope. Be my friend Daniciaaaaaaaaaaaa.

:)

[ARES]