New High End Dungeon

New High End Dungeon

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Hevosin.9187

Hevosin.9187

Hello Everyone,

First off I have never posted on the forums seriously before. I think I posted once about a sound issue and deleted the post. I am not an English Major, so please forgive any spelling mistakes or bad grammar.

Anyways I wanted to make a post/request for the Underworld to come back to GW2, It was by far my favorite thing to do in GW1 along with FoW. I was never the best at either, I picked easy jobs, MoP in Fow or 100b. Chamber Sin in UW when it could still be soloed, or SS in the Vale team. But I had loads of fun doing them.

I want to explain:
1: Why adding UW back would be good
2: What I’d like to see with UW in GW2
3: How it could be done without upsetting the apple cart
4: And how to fit it in the current lore.

Why adding in UW would be good

• Most players love New things, new armor new mobs new bosses, new places, anything new.
  • It will provide massive re-playability (see next section about why)
  • It can add interesting Lore into GW2 about the human Gods and where they went perhaps
  • Will likely be part of a big content update, Can be used to sell more copies of GW2. Big Updates from a Free game is a great selling point showing how much better Anet is, and how ahead of the curve they truly are.

What I’d like to see with UW in GW2

• UW should be a 10 man Dungeon, to reflect the difficultly and scale of what the players are doing (Venturing into the Underworld)
  • Want to see a combo of Fractal and normal Dungeon concepts mixed into one dungeon. Will have Many paths, 7 for example, Each one involving one of the 7 Reapers. Once a player clears all 7 paths (different entry required for each path) A level 2 opens up, like fractals the dungeon gets a little bit harder with each level. This provides a perfect place and reason to add more Ascended gear into the game, as bosses would likely use Agony in UW
  • Each path should be Hard, silvered Mobs minimum. However time should be 1-2 hours per path depending on groups, how good they can work together etc.
  • With so many Paths and levels there will always be something new and challenging, Perhaps bosses can use different abilities depending on level. Keeping things Extra New.
  • Once a level is completed (all 7 paths) a Big reward should be granted, whether this be gear or tokens or what I don’t know, but it shouldn’t be RNG. If it be gear, then gear you can use, light, medium or heavy depending on Profession. This doesn’t mean you’ll get the stats you want, but it’s at least your armor type. And if tokens then perhaps enough for 1 piece of Armor
  • Speaking of Armor. The sets here should be just as hard to obtain as they were in GW1….Or perhaps a bit easier :p If they are token based and each path gives 20, and 40 for daily, then the “base” armor pieces should cost 500. Why? Because once again this place is meant to be Hard and take a while to get rewarded, but rewarded you will be.

How it could be done without upsetting the apple cart?
Ill go over what I want to happen and explain HOW those things can happen without messing everything up.

• How can we combo Fractal and normal Dungeons without making the dungeon “flow” badly, Easy. The Many Paths are meant to keep UW new feeling, with 7 Paths every time you run it in “order” (Path 1, then Path 2, then 3 etc) it will be so different than you remember it will be fun and exciting all over again. UW is meant to be Hard (Like I keep saying) and it shouldn’t be able to be fully cleared quickly like in GW1. With 7 Paths you feel like you’re making progress to something great, the loot at the end of the 7 paths, and finishing the Story (See Lore in next section) But once you Finish all 7 Paths there needs to be more to such a Big and Amazing place, that’s why the many levels fits well.
  • How can this be a 10 man without making groups hard to find? Easy, very similar to GW1 Temple of Ages. There will be a Hub, like the Lab for Fractals, however it is public, not a party instance. This “Hub” can be explained Lore wise in the Next Section.
  • How can each path be hard with silvered mobs and take so long? Easy, because once again this is the Underworld, it should not be too easy. It also shouldn’t be too hard either of course. We don’t want 5 hour long raids beating our faces against a wall for one Path, If I wanted to do that I’d go back to WoW (only reference to WoW I swear)

(edited by Hevosin.9187)

New High End Dungeon

Hevosin.9187

• How can each level be different without messing up Flow. Easy (see a pattern here?), Nobody likes to do the exact same thing 100 times over and over again. So I suggest each level the bosses change a bit. Perhaps instead of doing a massive AoE ground stomp on Level 1, On level 2 it might be a Big AoE poison cloud or Fire explosion, or a combo of those things.
  • How can we give players an item they want after completing a Level? Once again it is Easy, If each path took 1.5 hours that is 10.5 hours total, I think a little reward is in Order. These items can vary depending on when UW is made Live. Perhaps these can be ascended items, or maybe just exotics, 5 black lions keys? Who knows but a Big Reward should be given. And even if each run was “Speed Cleared” each path taking an hour, that’s still 7 hours to get 1 big reward, Hard to abuse that, but perhaps I am wrong
  • How can the Armor be so hard to obtain and still worth getting? Ill give you one guess to the word that belongs here ____, If UW goes Live when Ascended items are more common than now (only Rings and Back at time of writing this) then the gear might all be Ascended. If Ascended items are still not fully added, then this might be a good place to add the new slots in, Boots and Gloves costing 1000 to be Ascended or just 500 for Exotic?

How to fit UW in the current Lore? Amazingly in fact!

• The Human Gods have been Silent for some time now, and the world may be a bit safer with Zhaitan gone now, However 4 other Elder Dragons are still out there. The Pact seeks the help of the Gods and sets players on a Hunt to find them. Priory Scholars unearthed a Location (This can be in a few places, Orr where Grenth Event takes place, The ruins of the Temple of Ages) that once was used as an access point to the realm of the Dead. This Access point will lead to the “Hub” I talked about before, this provides a place to form groups up so 10 people wont be as hard to find. This “Hub” is where Priory Scholars will preform the Grand Ritual in order to send to players to the Underworld. To preform this Rite the scholars need Gold to pay for the Materials that must be gathered from all over the world (This is basically like the 1000g it took in GW1 to enter the UW, But this time the cost should be 2g, or some other number, paid to an NPC) So players set forth on an adventure to find Grenth within his own domain to see if the Gods are still with us. But his 7 Reapers do not take to kindly to Uninvited guests, the players must fight there way through the 7 paths that each of the Reapers hold as their section of the Underworld in order to convince the reapers passage to Grenths Quarters. What will the players find? A Dead God in a Dead Domain, or the God of Death in all his Glory? Who knows unless you venture worth and See for yourself.
  • The Whole dungeon is one Giant Story Mode Dungeon, with each Path building on what players learned in the previous, perhaps the first Level must be completed in order path 1 then 2 then 3 etc. And once Level 2 has been reached players are free to do any path in any order they want and once all 7 are done, level 3 opens up.
  • The multiple Levels can also be explain Lore Wise, Once you reach Grenth himself or where ever the Reapers lead you to once you Finish all 7 Paths. The players are not deemed worthy by Grenth and are sent back to the Start, but this time he has new challenges in store for the players (The rise in difficulty of each Level)

I Put a good amount of thought into this Post, I would love to hear what the Guild Wars 2 community thinks of my ideas. Remember to be nice, I don’t mind flames about my ideas sucking, I am not a Professional game Developer (Even though I wouldn’t mind being one). But I do ask for constructive criticism, tell me why the specific idea isn’t so great and how it might be better. These are rough ideas for UW nothing is set in stone, who knows Anet may never add in UW, or they might be polishing it up as we speak =D

(edited by Hevosin.9187)

New High End Dungeon

Hevosin.9187

Reserved for later use.

(edited by Hevosin.9187)

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Dungeon boss Dhuum 2013.

I don’t necessarily agree with all that you suggested and am sure that ANet has their own ideas cooked for this if they go down this route, but I definitely support a dungeon boss on the order of difficulty of (Giganticus Lupicus x 10) for Dhuum.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

New High End Dungeon

Hevosin.9187

Dungeon boss Dhuum 2013.

I don’t necessarily agree with all that you suggested and am sure that ANet has their own ideas cooked for this if they go down this route, but I definitely support a dungeon boss on the order of difficulty of (Giganticus Lupicus x 10) for Dhuum.

I totally want a Bada** Boss in here as well, just not Dhuum
I kinda feel like it should be about the Current Gods. Bringing Dhuum back would feel too much like UW from GW1 and I want this to be a different story, rather than a repeat of what we already did in GW1.

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: Power.2957

Power.2957

I did quite a few hundred runs of UW in gw1 so definitely a fan, but I disagree with making it for 10 people… It’s hard enough right now to get 5 guildies interested in doing a dungeon together because of conflicting DR schedules and other crap

“Power is like the illuminati of Guild Wars.” -Loshon

New High End Dungeon

Hevosin.9187

I did quite a few hundred runs of UW in gw1 so definitely a fan, but I disagree with making it for 10 people… It’s hard enough right now to get 5 guildies interested in doing a dungeon together because of conflicting DR schedules and other crap

Well having 10 people isn’t needed, just what I think would be fun : )

5 people is good as well

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: Nashaan.3160

Nashaan.3160

I would love for Anet to put UW in GW2, I remember my first beta weekend, when I came across the remains of ToA in the swamp and saw a portal to Underworld, I was so disappointed when I realised you couldn’t actually go through it lol

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: YaHiKoDrG.3467

YaHiKoDrG.3467

I think going back to the 8man groups would be fine for something of this large a scale… but I think if you add more players being able to scale the damage of mobs and their HP might be a pain.

New High End Dungeon

Hevosin.9187

I think going back to the 8man groups would be fine for something of this large a scale… but I think if you add more players being able to scale the damage of mobs and their HP might be a pain.

That’s why thy mobs would be silvered, Silver is above a Veteran but below a Champion.
I figured the mobs would scale better as Silvered mobs with 10 people. But if the groups are 5 man then I think the mobs should be Vets like in fractals

New High End Dungeon

Hevosin.9187

I would love for Anet to put UW in GW2, I remember my first beta weekend, when I came across the remains of ToA in the swamp and saw a portal to Underworld, I was so disappointed when I realised you couldn’t actually go through it lol

Same here, I was so excited when I realized the swamp was ToA

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

:

• Will likely be part of a big content update, Can be used to sell more copies of GW2. Big Updates from a Free game is a great selling point showing how much better Anet is, and how ahead of the curve they truly are.

Just this part, fail your hopes. Wrong company, wrong game

Expect new senseless (and without any lore bound) content, like those stupid karkas and lost shores. I mean, seriously?
Agree about uw and fow as a great return of the glory of gw1 in a gw2 manner. Meh, i guess we will never see something barely similar.

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: Nialiss.6459

Nialiss.6459

I think the party cap should be more like 25, however, it should scale difficulty based on how many are in your party so you don’t need 25 people but, you can have up to 25. Could be a neat experience to go do some high-end content with 25 people.

New High End Dungeon

Hevosin.9187

I think the party cap should be more like 25, however, it should scale difficulty based on how many are in your party so you don’t need 25 people but, you can have up to 25. Could be a neat experience to go do some high-end content with 25 people.

I doubt a 25 man dungeon would ever make it in GW2. Too WoW like.
Though I think the scaling sounds cool!

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

Mostly, just a big zerg of sparkling lights, considering how DE and dragons behave, no need at all of 25 zergplayer dungeons.

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

New High End Dungeon

Hevosin.9187

Mostly, just a big zerg of sparkling lights, considering how DE and dragons behave, no need at all of 25 zergplayer dungeons.

Ya, 25 people could be hard on some lower end systems

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: Power.2957

Power.2957

Yup, definitely got excited when I find ToA during BWE1 xD

“Power is like the illuminati of Guild Wars.” -Loshon

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: voidwater.2064

voidwater.2064

I like your suggestion, it’d be awesome to revisit UW

I would change two things from your suggestions:

• UW should be a 10 man Dungeon, to reflect the difficultly and scale of what the players are doing (Venturing into the Underworld)
  • Want to see a combo of Fractal and normal Dungeon concepts mixed into one dungeon. Will have Many paths, 7 for example, Each one involving one of the 7 Reapers. Once a player clears all 7 paths (different entry required for each path) A level 2 opens up, like fractals the dungeon gets a little bit harder with each level. This provides a perfect place and reason to add more Ascended gear into the game, as bosses would likely use Agony in UW

Instead of a tiered dungeon, I would just give it a single, rather high, difficulty (say, as hard as T4 or T5 would be if you tiered it). The fractal tiering makes organizing groups more difficult (I also feel the presence of higher difficulties trivializes the existence of lower difficulties, content with no purpose except to gate players), I don’t think that design should be reused. Or at most have two tiers, like normal and hard mode in GW1.

For similar reasons, I think a 5-man would be better, with 10 it would be much harder to organize a group, as well as coordinating/communicating during the dungeon. I enjoy extremely difficult game content, but not difficulty with social aspects.

(edited by voidwater.2064)

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: Prokiller.1472

Prokiller.1472

I think it would be more interesting if depending on how you completed the paths, you would get a different boss on the last one. Just to keep you on your toes.

it would be awesome if Shiro or The lich was a boss in this dungeon, and if none of the bosses has defiant. But instead they would have healing skills, stun breakers, condition removal, and could dodge aoes. GW1 mob AI was good, and a pain to deal with in hm, lets have that again.

New High End Dungeon

Hevosin.9187

I think it would be more interesting if depending on how you completed the paths, you would get a different boss on the last one. Just to keep you on your toes.

it would be awesome if Shiro or The lich was a boss in this dungeon, and if none of the bosses has defiant. But instead they would have healing skills, stun breakers, condition removal, and could dodge aoes. GW1 mob AI was good, and a pain to deal with in hm, lets have that again.

That would be interesting, making it feel like fighting a real person.

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: Rinbox.2570

Rinbox.2570

Hello Everyone,

yes yes yes yes yes! 10 man dungeons that are NON raid. Anet has an ace in the pocket for group composition in this game and thats the fact that your 10 man group doesn’t need to be 2 tanks, 2 healers and 6 dps. Groups would be no more challenging to find than a regular 5 man. 10 man dungeons should be made to create a more epic and challenging experience for high end players without delving into the raid world. If they could create a few 10 man dungeons a long with some sort of good grouping tool I would personally enjoy PvE a lot more right now.

The 5 man dungeons are fine and dandy but I have two completely geared out characters from dungeon exotics now and im tired of running the same 5 man content. As someone who loves PvE in MMO’s there just isnt enough high end content aside from dungeons. Those of you that played WoW will understand this next part. Imagine if the highest PvE content you could run was Heroic Dungeons. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN. Raids made that game for PvE players. I definitely support Anet’s decision to omit raids but they need to put something exciting in their place. 10 man dungeons are the solution!

(edited by Rinbox.2570)

New High End Dungeon

Hevosin.9187

yes yes yes yes yes! 10 man dungeons that are NON raid. Anet has an ace in the pocket for group composition in this game and thats the fact that your 10 man group doesn’t need to be 2 tanks, 2 healers and 6 dps. Groups would be no more challenging to find than a regular 5 man. 10 man dungeons should be made to create a more epic and challenging experience for high end players without delving into the raid world. If they could create a few 10 man dungeons a long with some sort of good grouping tool I would personally enjoy PvE a lot more right now.

The 5 man dungeons are fine and dandy but I have two completely geared out characters from dungeon exotics now and im tired of running the same 5 man content. As someone who loves PvE in MMO’s there just isnt enough high end content aside from dungeons. Those of you that played WoW will understand this next part. Imagine if the highest PvE content you could run was Heroic Dungeons. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN. Raids made that game for PvE players. I definitely support Anet’s decision to omit raids but they need to put something exciting in their place. 10 man dungeons are the solution!

Haha I love the enthusiasm, I am glad you agree that a 10 man would be awesome!

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: Strontius.6478

Strontius.6478

If they’re going to implement new harder dungeon content, I’d like it to be less linear (i.e. let us choose which bosses to kill, and give us a lockout so we don’t have to do it all in one sitting). Also I would like to see more bosses like Giganticus Lupicus, because complicated multi-phase fights are interesting, rather than the boring high-hp bosses that make you want to afk during the encounter…

Also I don’t think 25man content would work well. You can already see the difficulty in balancing big meta dynamic events, and how they always turn into a massive zerg. Without the trinity I don’t think big groups work well. Guild wars 2 content is much better suited to 5man groups (in my opinion!).

New High End Dungeon

Hevosin.9187

If they’re going to implement new harder dungeon content, I’d like it to be less linear (i.e. let us choose which bosses to kill, and give us a lockout so we don’t have to do it all in one sitting). Also I would like to see more bosses like Giganticus Lupicus, because complicated multi-phase fights are interesting, rather than the boring high-hp bosses that make you want to afk during the encounter…

Also I don’t think 25man content would work well. You can already see the difficulty in balancing big meta dynamic events, and how they always turn into a massive zerg. Without the trinity I don’t think big groups work well. Guild wars 2 content is much better suited to 5man groups (in my opinion!).

I agree with that 25 mans would be hard to scale well in a dungeon, I feel like 10 man could be done easily without needing the “trinity” back

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

I really like this idea.

It would also be cool if they offered something like FoW also and give us Obsidian armor again XD (we already have obby shards and ectos in the game as it is) and make the skins for it class based and not light/med/heavy, like say take the old models for warrior,ele,mes,ranger ect. (the classics) and use the same models for GW2 and make some new ones for the new classes of course. It would definitely bring in a crowd either it be for prestige or cash or just a fun challenge.

New High End Dungeon

Hevosin.9187

I really like this idea.

It would also be cool if they offered something like FoW also and give us Obsidian armor again XD (we already have obby shards and ectos in the game as it is) and make the skins for it class based and not light/med/heavy, like say take the old models for warrior,ele,mes,ranger ect. (the classics) and use the same models for GW2 and make some new ones for the new classes of course. It would definitely bring in a crowd either it be for prestige or cash or just a fun challenge.

Indeed, UW, FoW both are very fun, and my ideas would work well with FoW too, but the Lore would need to be re-worked

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: Shayleen.8964

Shayleen.8964

If it’s going to be big, hard and long. it better have really good rewards. I would appreciate dungeons that would drop more lodestones so that I can earn enough of them for a legendary weapon, without completely relying on the Black Lion Trading Post.

I think that there need to be places that would drop items otherwise unobtainable – such as lodestones. Current drop rates are a joke.

I would not mind if such place would actually require a skilled team, but at least make them drop. I have run dungeons a lot (and I mean a lot) and had only 3 lodestones (of 3 different kinds) drop. I wish I could start saving up some mats for the future legendary weapons, but the higher level items are just pretty much unobtainable for a person who doesn’t have the time to grind dungeons or mobs mindlessly, but possess the skill to get through some pretty hard stuff.

Just saying that for Anet to consider.

New High End Dungeon

Hevosin.9187

If it’s going to be big, hard and long. it better have really good rewards. I would appreciate dungeons that would drop more lodestones so that I can earn enough of them for a legendary weapon, without completely relying on the Black Lion Trading Post.

I think that there need to be places that would drop items otherwise unobtainable – such as lodestones. Current drop rates are a joke.

I would not mind if such place would actually require a skilled team, but at least make them drop. I have run dungeons a lot (and I mean a lot) and had only 3 lodestones (of 3 different kinds) drop. I wish I could start saving up some mats for the future legendary weapons, but the higher level items are just pretty much unobtainable for a person who doesn’t have the time to grind dungeons or mobs mindlessly, but possess the skill to get through some pretty hard stuff.

Just saying that for Anet to consider.

I kinda figured UW would drop Ecto and Random Lodestones. But not so often where it becomes an “easy” source for either. Just enough to make them a little less rare while still being difficult to obtain

New High End Dungeon

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

You talk about how UW would be hard in GW2. But how? Due to their poorly thought out combat system, the only way they can create difficulty is through forcing people to dodge certain things, something we already see enough in FotM.

I too wished for some “hard” dungeon that would really reward skill, but after seeing FotM I have lost hope. The problem is not with Arena Net designing easy content, it’s with their combat system allowing for nothing else.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

New High End Dungeon

Hevosin.9187

Bumping. I still stand by what I said in the post, however after rereading it, I think tiered levels isn’t such a good idea, Maybe just 2 tiers. 1st level is how I said before path 1, then 2 then 3 etc.. And after that, it unlocks the Exp Mode, where you can do any path in any order you want.

I can edit my first post with this if needed as well.