New to GW2/dungeons

New to GW2/dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Archangel.8243

Archangel.8243

As i said in the title, I am new to gw2(gw2 is the first mmo i play). I bought it 7 days ago, and i have now gotten my first character, a necromancer, to level 80. I’m not interested in pvp, only pve(dungeons). But i have no clue which dungeons to play, and what gear to get for pve.

I completed arah story mode today, and it was the first time i was in a dungeon, we completed it, and now im lost, because there are 8-9 dungeons as far as i know, with 3 paths, And i have no idea which to take. So…

- What dungeons/path should i go for the most, if i want the most loot/gold
- What gear should i go after for pve.. my necromancer build is alot bleeding damage, i use scepter/dagger, and staff.

New to GW2/dungeons

Posted by: loquacious.2915

loquacious.2915

It’s going to depend on how you like to play. Dungeons are a very personal thing. They all have different challenges and purposes.

New to GW2/dungeons

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

Each dungeon/path tells more of the story leading up to the final Arah dungeon (which you have just completed). So you have effectively skipped to the end of the book, so to speak. No problem though, just go and visit any dungeon/path you like.

As for visiting dungeons solely for the purpose of earning gold, you should focus on the Citadel of Flame, particularly paths 1 & 2.

As for gear, each dungeon armour/weapon vendor has multiple versions of the same gear, just with different stats. You will need to decide what kind of damage you want to deal and choose gear according to that. In the case of bleeding, you will want gear with Condition Damage, and/or Condition Duration.

Hint: visit www.gw2lfg.com to easily find people wanting to run dungeons of every kind.

New to GW2/dungeons

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The story modes are generally more forgiving than the explorable dungeons. Your fellow players might be more forgiving too in story modes, so you might want to go through them first before going into the explorable dungeons.

New to GW2/dungeons

loquacious.2915

The story modes are generally more forgiving than the explorable dungeons. Your fellow players might be more forgiving too in story modes, so you might want to go through them first before going into the explorable dungeons.

This is true. Make sure let people now that you are new to that dungeon. They are generally more forgiving than if you F up during the dungeon.

New to GW2/dungeons

Archangel.8243

What is the differents between story and exploration mode?
and ty for answerøs

New to GW2/dungeons

loquacious.2915

Story mode is a continuation of the story leading up to Arah, and is lower level and generally longer time wise.

New to GW2/dungeons

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

When you complete explorable mode you get tokens which you can use to buy exotic gear.

As for the dungeons :
-Ascalon Catacombs : a few months ago the final bosses of this dungeon got changed. Some players can’t learn the new mechanics as such it has gotten less popular, but finding a group isn’t hard.
-Caudecus Manor : one of the dungeon players hate the most. If your team carries reflects or know how to use blocks/blindness it shouldn’t be hard.
-Twilight Arbor : I hate it. It’s not too hard, but the final bosses are extremely boring.
-Sorrow’s Embrace : players don’t bother with path 2 because it’s a long one.
-Crucible of Eternity : fighting Alpha (the boss in every path) is simply a matter of going in melee range (even if you don’t use a dagger) and dodge at the correct time (which you’ll learn with time).
-Citadel of Flame : most farmed dungeon
-Honor of the Waves : the bosses in that dungeon have a too high amount of health, and some fights take place underwater, so at least have correct underwater weapons if you plan to go there.
-Arah : Giganticus Lupicus (a boss who’s there in all 4 paths) can be quite unforgiving for newer players.

In every dungeon you need to learn something : how a monster behaves, the patterns during a boss fight, when to dodge, which skills you can bring.
If you die too much (especially on a necromancer) then try to tweak your build and armor until you get better at surviving.
If someone gets downed, try to get him up unless you have a chance of getting downed too.
If someone blames you because your team keeps dying, it’s not your fault. I wouldn’t say that all of your team sucks, but 4 players cannot put the blame on a single person if they wipe during a fight (unless it’s clearly your fault because you aggro’ed something at the wrong time).
If someone is being a troll, the block list is there.

Sometime your team will exploit making some encounters impossibly dull (like in AC p3) or jumping around to get to the end of the dungeon in a short amount of time. Sometime your team will want to skip monsters by simply running through and without fighting. As a necromancer you shouldn’t have too much problem with that.

Finally : when you don’t want to play your necromancer don’t hesitate to create a new character. Unfortunately, as of right now, necromancers aren’t too great in dungeons, kind of like rangers and engineers (they aren’t bad, but they aren’t great). I’m not telling you to create a warrior (I hate playing as a warrior) but to try other classes, so at least you’ll have a better understanding of your teammates characters and what they can and can’t do.

And if you have a horrible experience, don’t give up.

New to GW2/dungeons

Posted by: Matt H.6142

Matt H.6142

Say right up front this is your first time. People will usually give up the details you need to know.
I had the misfortune of people expecting me to know what I was doing and I gotta say COF Path 1’s brazier bit was not very clear to me. I dunno if I missed some NPC dialogue, or what.
And then the party rushed off to the final boss leaving me in a mob of flame legion. Fortunately I had a shadowstep, roll, and dagger storm free to keep me alive til they gave up.

Fort Aspenwood home
All Professions Level 80

New to GW2/dungeons

Posted by: Charname.2364

Charname.2364

The only thing I can add to this is if you freak out about messing up and getting your party killed like I do, try looking up walkthroughs for the dungeon you are running. While it’s not the same as actually running said dungeon, it is easier to dodge something when you know what it looks like rather then just being told to dodge that one attack that will kill you. I believe there is a stickied thread here that lists walkthroughs for all the dungeons. You just have to make sure they are not outdated.

New to GW2/dungeons

Archangel.8243

Thank you all for the replies, everything helped me ^^
Atm im trying to complete every dungeon story mode, before doing any exp paths. But i am having trouble finding anyone who wanna do story mode :P

- i got another question i write here, instead of making a new thread, if anyone wanna tell me.

- Crafting… ive read alot of threads about crafting being useless, and atm i am lvl’ing tailor, (level 150). should i stop wasting money on crafting stuff. or is it worth it, when i reach level 400? can i craft good gear in level 400?

New to GW2/dungeons

Posted by: KickingEight.6709

KickingEight.6709

where can i fnd them #p

New to GW2/dungeons

Posted by: UmbraVictor.9842

UmbraVictor.9842

As i said in the title, I am new to gw2(gw2 is the first mmo i play). I bought it 7 days ago, and i have now gotten my first character, a necromancer, to level 80. I’m not interested in pvp, only pve(dungeons). But i have no clue which dungeons to play, and what gear to get for pve.

I completed arah story mode today, and it was the first time i was in a dungeon, we completed it, and now im lost, because there are 8-9 dungeons as far as i know, with 3 paths, And i have no idea which to take. So…

- What dungeons/path should i go for the most, if i want the most loot/gold
- What gear should i go after for pve.. my necromancer build is alot bleeding damage, i use scepter/dagger, and staff.

Just becareful with pugging or LFG. alot of Rage quitters or show-offs that do not know what they are doing. Nice to see a new player that is still enthusiastic and curious. I am quite bored with the junk content of this game and mechanics built around annoyances.

Dying more than 3-5 times they usually quit without warning. A BIG problem if this player is hosting/open the dungeon first. As the rage quitter will remove everyone out and you have to restart again.

Just make sure you block players like this and always double check your block list when LFG party.

Find a good guild to join. The people there might help you out with Story. People don’t do story coz its not rewarding and kind of annoying at times/mostly. I finish all dungeons/story. Now grinding Sorrow’s Embrace (Knights), Citadel of Flame (Berserker) and Fractals 10 – 30+.

All Exotics have the same stats, just skins.

(edited by UmbraVictor.9842)

New to GW2/dungeons

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Aside from cooking I don’t use any other crafting. It’s a great tool to level your characters. And it’s not that useless because it allows you to gear up your alts.

However sometime it would be cheaper to buy the finished product instead of crafting it >.>

At level 400 you can craft exotics. It requires T6 mats and ectos, which again can make it more expensive than simply buying the piece you want on the TP.

New to GW2/dungeons

Archangel.8243

What is exotic exactly? is it a term of some of the best gear in the game or something?

New to GW2/dungeons

Posted by: SnoodBeAR.5286

SnoodBeAR.5286

Yeah, the best obtainable armor and weapons are exotic.. for now. You can get ascended accessories through fractals or guild missions, these are better than exotics.. but like I said you cannot get ascended armor or weapons.

New to GW2/dungeons

Posted by: Charname.2364

Charname.2364

What is exotic exactly? is it a term of some of the best gear in the game or something?

The tiers are divided by the color of the items name:
White-Basic
Blue-Fine
Green-Masterwork
Yellow-Rare
Orange-Exotic
Purple-Legendary (Weapons only)
Pink-Ascended (Currently accessories only)