New to Raiding

New to Raiding

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: venus.4509

venus.4509

Q:

New to raiding main is Mes but i don’t have tanking gear and more dps gear (ferocity and such) have heard some horror stories about pugging in groups. Would I need to go tank just to play or give up even attempting to raids?

New to Raiding

Posted by: OnizukaBR.8537

OnizukaBR.8537

If you want to dps as a mesmer there are some bosses that you can play as Cond mesmer as matthias or MO or Cairn.
Now as a chrono you dont need to be the tank you can be the second job but your role will not be tanking or dpsing, your goal is to provide 100% uptime of quickness and alacry.
You can check de build and discriptions here http://qtfy.eu/build/mesmer .

New to Raiding

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

If you want to dps as a mesmer there are some bosses that you can play as Cond mesmer as matthias or MO or Cairn.
Now as a chrono you dont need to be the tank you can be the second job but your role will not be tanking or dpsing, your goal is to provide 100% uptime of quickness and alacry.
You can check de build and discriptions here http://qtfy.eu/build/mesmer .

also youll want to learn how to tank and be a support chrono. once you learn both of those positions and get enough experience unlike other classes youll be asked to raid constantly by friends you make. theres tons of ps warriors dps druids etc. theres barely any chronos.
im bad at sarcasm

New to Raiding

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Mostly depends on the group (static group or guild) that you’re running with. A static group is more accommodating and can help compensate where you’re “lacking” and ultimately help bring you up to speed with what they run with.

In pug setting you’re more or less expected to be cookie-cut build.

New to Raiding

venus.4509

Does this mean i will have to have making ascended tanking gear as well?

New to Raiding

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Does this mean i will have to have making ascended tanking gear as well?

“Have to”? Again, goes back to what ype of group are you joining/looking to join. More causal/training groups are okay with only full exotic with the intent of getting ascended down the line. Your average groups may require certain amount of ascended gear (most notably trinkets and weapon at minimum).

It’s definitely to your advantage to get ascended gear but no point in making it if you’re not gonna make use of it if you’re group decides to slot you in a different role.

New to Raiding

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

New to raiding main is Mes but i don’t have tanking gear and more dps gear (ferocity and such) have heard some horror stories about pugging in groups. Would I need to go tank just to play or give up even attempting to raids?

The problem is in your question Raids demand flexibility and the ability to adapt to new team comps on the fly. If you only play one class but don’t want to tank, that’s fine, but you need to have the flexibility to swap to another class more suited to a dps role.. You can raid on Mesmer but you will be required to run boon duration gear and provide your team with quickness and alacrity. Giving up the idea of raids is not the solution, gearing other toons for more flexibility is.

New to Raiding

venus.4509

The problem is in your question Raids demand flexibility and the ability to adapt to new team comps on the fly. If you only play one class but don’t want to tank, that’s fine, but you need to have the flexibility to swap to another class more suited to a dps role.. You can raid on Mesmer but you will be required to run boon duration gear and provide your team with quickness and alacrity. Giving up the idea of raids is not the solution, gearing other toons for more flexibility is.

So in the chances I’m not really fond of the other classes then this would kind of put me in a tough spot on the flexibility issue, unless I start working on getting some tanking gear. sigh

New to Raiding

Posted by: Sigfodr.9576

Sigfodr.9576

As a DPS crhono (second chrono in the group, and the one that dont tank). Your main job is to provide buffs, and do abit of dmg.

If you dont want to tank. And want to keep your berserker gear. Then np, use:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQJAsOScYg6wqB-TxBXABPoEEAlT9o+Tp7Pw7DAIE9AArkhUABO1C-e

As you can see, its a simpel berserker sett/weapons. But with 2 tinkets being commander. This make you have 100% boon duration. And still be way below the tank in thoughness.

You do however need leadership runes for this.

New to Raiding

Posted by: CrustyBot.3564

CrustyBot.3564

The real problem is that there is only one spot in a squad which a non tanking Chronomancer can really hold down, and most Chronomancers can switch between tanking and non tanking roles by swapping trinkets or gear around. Since the primary role of Chronomancer as a class is to spread quickness and alacrity around to their subgroup, all Chronotanks know how to play the non tanking role – it’s the same minus tanking.

However Chronomancers in general are in short supply so there is a chance you’ll find a group who only need a non tank Chronomancer, though I wouldn’t rely on it outside of a static group or guild environment with permanent members.

As for ascended gear, ascended gear is usually better but not really necessary. The main goal is to ensure you have as much boon duration as possible while having enough toughness to gain aggro from raid bosses.

I’ll say that it’s not a cheap build as Chronomancers are usually quite expensive to gear, but you could try something like this if going ascended is a step too far:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQRAsc8OWUNKyAYEKu6kdar2zgYJmOA-TBCBQBSQJI4M/RxnAAOU/JF6H63+DA4kAARlfkCIwtWA-e

Good thing is that you could replace the trinkets with exotic Zerk (and 2/6 plat doubloons) , and Furious Sharpening Stones with a Bountiful one, then you have a respectable non tank Chronomancer build. Can keep the Armor and Weapon sets the same.

New to Raiding

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So in the chances I’m not really fond of the other classes then this would kind of put me in a tough spot on the flexibility issue, unless I start working on getting some tanking gear. sigh

More flexibility always means you have more options, regardless of the activity; raids aren’t any different in this regard.

Try out some other things and see if there’s another prof you like, that would allow you to offer multiple roles. Some people run one prof with multiple sets of gear; some have multiple profs, each with a single set. And there will always be some people who only have one prof+one set — doesn’t mean they can’t or won’t raid; it just means it will be harder for them to find PUG groups that will accept them.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

New to Raiding

The one to Rule.2593

getting full exotics is super easy….

New to Raiding

venus.4509

I have no issue getting exotic, the issue would be doing it with a group of people that would be ok with it. From reading a lot on these forms and what I have seen in the game most people wouldn’t be.

New to Raiding

The one to Rule.2593

I have no issue getting exotic, the issue would be doing it with a group of people that would be ok with it. From reading a lot on these forms and what I have seen in the game most people wouldn’t be.

im going to have legendary armor day of release, i’ve worked my but off raiding. i have over 200 li, Take it from me when i say you dont need ascended gear to beat any raid boss in the game. at most youll need an ascended weapon and trinkets. Exotic gear is perfectly fine.

New to Raiding

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Realistically, you will have an EXTREMELY hard time getting into any raid groups as a pure dps mesmer – especially in pugs.

The nature of the content and how they have chosen to do raids has pretty much invalidated many builds (even some very popular ones) – and some professions pretty much outright – in that content, a direction strengthened and made worse by many in the community..

New to Raiding

venus.4509

Realistically, you will have an EXTREMELY hard time getting into any raid groups as a pure dps mesmer – especially in pugs.

The nature of the content and how they have chosen to do raids has pretty much invalidated many builds (even some very popular ones) – and some professions pretty much outright – in that content, a direction strengthened and made worse by many in the community..

I feel like that is mostly what it has come down to and unless I play the way I’m told to build wise verse I guess the original idea of freedom of choice in build I’m not gonna get very far.

New to Raiding

Blaeys.3102

I feel like that is mostly what it has come down to and unless I play the way I’m told to build wise verse I guess the original idea of freedom of choice in build I’m not gonna get very far.

What’s worse is the developers think that this kind of arbitrary rigid design deserves the title “challenging content” when in reality the challenge is the ability to carbon copy everything your neighbor is wearing and exactly how they play their toon.

To a degree, the push to conform to the current raid model removes unique-ness and a player’s sense of identity from the game.

I know from experience that I will get attacked over those comments (can probably even guess who will do the attacking), but it is something more people need to be paying attention to.

New to Raiding

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Either way….keep on fightin’ the good fight, Blaeys. Here and on Reddit. You’re doing God’s work.

For what it’s worth the meta build for a condi DPS mesmer is incredibly fun and pretty easy to play. I’ve only tried it in fractals so far, but if you can get into a decent guild they will probably let you tag along for the easier fights.

I’ve been seeing a lot more ‘silent’ and no-req LFG listings for the easier raid bosses on reset night. Even if you lack experience and haven’t been trained (it is ridiculous that this is a thing in this game now, imo) you can probably hop into one and at least get some hands on experience.

New to Raiding

The one to Rule.2593

Honestly, Blaeys has a very anti raiding agenda he pushes in every single thread regarding the topic, I wouldn’t take his word on these matters. To a degree, he is right. You will be required to run certain builds to maximize group efficiency. But it’s not as extreme as he seems to think.

Nothing in this game has ever been " Run one build for everything" and that was never the intention.

However, this is nothing new, this is the same way in fractals, and even dungeons to a lesser extent.

New to Raiding

Blaeys.3102

Either way….keep on fightin’ the good fight, Blaeys.

Not planning to stop anytime soon.

And -

I know from experience that I will get attacked over those comments (can probably even guess who will do the attacking), but it is something more people need to be paying attention to.

Told ya. It didnt take long for that to come true. I see it as more reason to continue. I am not afraid of criticism or even outright hate. I was with the Navy and Marine Corps for six years. I think I’ve had worse slung at me (and have to laugh when people try to insinuate I don’t understand the meaning of hardcore ). I ve even had death threats against me and my family (some idiot saying he knew where I lived) on Reddit.

For the record, Im not anti raid, just believe there is much that needs to be improved.

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

New to Raiding

The one to Rule.2593

Either way….keep on fightin’ the good fight, Blaeys.

Not planning to stop anytime soon.

And -

Told ya. It didnt take long for that to come true. I see it as more reason to continue. I am not afraid of criticism or even outright hate. I was with the Navy and Marine Corps for six years. I think I’ve had worse slung at me (and have to laugh when people try to insinuate I don’t understand the meaning of hardcore ).

For the record, Im not anti raid, just believe there is much that needs to be improved.

I never attacked you. nor did I insinuate anything. I understand you raid enough, I just completely disagree with your perspective on raiding. Honestly though I don’t see why you of all people are trying to turn others off of it, when you are always talking about how easy mode will get more people into the game mode.

New to Raiding

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

Can only speak for EU but here I haven’t seen any groups insisting on ascended gear since months, same with pinging the gear.
Encounters are known nowadays, most of the mechanics are not very hard and also most of the people already have their mains + toons fully ascended so it’s no problem to take several players in exotics. Sure Gorseval & Keep Construct put a little bit of dps pressure to groups but these are not generally the encounters to start with.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

New to Raiding

venus.4509

Well I appreciate all the feedback and will be working on getting those runes gonna have to do a bit of DS to get them it seems

New to Raiding

Posted by: ButterPeanut.9746

ButterPeanut.9746

I like to look at raiding from a different lens. There are posts pretty frequently about “can I raid on X”, and its usually a build that doesn’t fill a role that the current raids are looking for.

Wanting to raid has nothing to do with your characters, your gear, your playstyle, etc…its about the raid content. If you want to do that raid content, then none of those others things matter.

If you have to say “I want to raid IF <insert class/build/spec/reason here>”, then you really don’t want to.

If you phrase the argument in that manner, then these posts about specific builds are really more about time investment and research. More along the lines of “am I building my character in the right way so I can get into raids?”, NOT, “I’ve already built my character this way, will I be accepted?”

This doesn’t mean balance isn’t important, of course it is. What it means is that the desire to complete the raiding content shouldn’t hinge on balance. Either you want to raid and you’ll do your homework/research and build a character that will help you achieve that goal, or you want to raid conditionally and you may see resistance.

New to Raiding

Posted by: Fatalyz.7168

Fatalyz.7168

What’s worse is the developers think that this kind of arbitrary rigid design deserves the title “challenging content” when in reality the challenge is the ability to carbon copy everything your neighbor is wearing and exactly how they play their toon.

To a degree, the push to conform to the current raid model removes unique-ness and a player’s sense of identity from the game.

The challenge is supposed to be in adapting your character/build to complete the content, and figuring out how best to clear it.

The community has had plenty of people make that part of it easier for the community, by telling them what works best. They are by no means stuck or incapable of clearing the content if you don’t follow that, but they will have to go through the work of figuring it out for the comp that they want to run.

So, if a player’s biggest concern is over the identity of their character, they should invest time in finding other players to complete that content with. There is nothing but their own unwillingness that prevents them.

New to Raiding

venus.4509

I like to look at raiding from a different lens. There are posts pretty frequently about “can I raid on X”, and its usually a build that doesn’t fill a role that the current raids are looking for.

Wanting to raid has nothing to do with your characters, your gear, your playstyle, etc…its about the raid content. If you want to do that raid content, then none of those others things matter.

If you have to say “I want to raid IF <insert class/build/spec/reason here>”, then you really don’t want to.

If you phrase the argument in that manner, then these posts about specific builds are really more about time investment and research. More along the lines of “am I building my character in the right way so I can get into raids?”, NOT, “I’ve already built my character this way, will I be accepted?”

This doesn’t mean balance isn’t important, of course it is. What it means is that the desire to complete the raiding content shouldn’t hinge on balance. Either you want to raid and you’ll do your homework/research and build a character that will help you achieve that goal, or you want to raid conditionally and you may see resistance.

That wasn’t necessarily my question and more so if it would be excepted. Not its this or nothing at all.