Newbie Questions

Newbie Questions

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Pokecenter.3548

Pokecenter.3548

So i semi-read 2 of the sticky threads here – because i did read them once before – but i got some questions that i feel i shoulda know the answer. I’m not a regular Dungeon runner, in fact i still didn’t try all of them and the few i do tend to be in story mode (or lv1 if FotM), but i still would like to know a few things.

1 – I understand that Agony is something that like allows you to take more damage from the mobs? How much Agony resistance would i need to nullify that extra damage for fractals up to lv19 and 29, about 20 resist?

2 – What are the chances to get a ‘bonus’ from lv11+ fractal rewards? Woud it worth for me to do lv11 as a daily instead 1, given that i only have 1ascended piece of gear (ring) yet?

3 – What is the TA Aetherpath? What is different about it? Should be a pretty big deal to have so many achievements dedicated to it.

4 – I believe that the path you do (1,2,3) is decided inside the Dungeon by answering a question, right? But what about those UP and FW (forward) that you see sometimes on lfg, how are they different and does every Dungeon got those 2 options as well?

5 – Out of curiosity, what is the – roughly – max attack power possible in this game, 6k? and how much power is needed to 1shot burrows in AC with Ice Bow’s skill #4?

6 – Does ‘Rush’ in lfg tool means that they skip every mob other than Bosses that drop a chest reward?

7 – Is there any profession that is particularly bad in any Dungeon path?

8 – Any profession that is particularly good in any Dungeon path?

9 – Which potion is more worth to use, in those Dungeons where you find more than one kind of mobs (according to wiki, any other than AC,CM and TA) ?

10 – This may change depending on your build, but are there any particularly good foods for Dungeons? Let’s say one considerably good for extra gold/mf, or just any that for it’s price is a good deal

11 – The table for the Bonus Chest from wiki is pretty useful, but how much more gold and tokens you get from each path, assuming you loot those guys that drop a small reward chest?

12 – I can do any Dungeons i would like to, daily, but if i repeat any path of the same Dungeon, even if with a different character, the reward will decrease, right?

13 – Are all the Mini-Dungeons soloable?

14 – Yesterday i read about some types of Dungeon gear having a chance to be salvaged in a certain item (inscription or something?) but i forgot the name. Anyone could tell me so i do some research on wiki? As it seemed kinda important

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dungeon#Bonus_Chests Posting this as i used it for 9/11.

Sorry all the questions, in fact they were more but while i was thinking about more questions i did some research and found the answer for some of them ~so proud. So if anyone could answer any of them i would be thankful ;p

Newbie Questions

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Okay, I’ll start:

1. Agony is damage that is both avoidable and unavoidable depending on the boss you are fighting. If it is the last boss of your fourth fractal, there is unavoidable agony. This cannot be dodged. The only way to mitigate it is to have enough Agony Resistance (AR). There is a table in the wiki which will show the percentages of health you lose per tick based on your resistance. For 19 and 29, 20 and 30 AR is generally sufficient. On the table, it shows that after a certain amount the reduction plateaus and you cannot decrease it anymore past 1%.
  2. If your personal reward level (PRL) is 11+ you have a chance, after a level 11+ fractal to receive a bonus reward of a ring, weapon skin, or ascended weapon/armor chest. The fractals come in tiers. If you have a PRL 50, you can do a fractal between 1-10, 11-20, 31-40, and 41-50 and have a chance at a bonus reward from each tier. If your PRL is 11 and you do a level 50, you will get a daily bonus chest from tier 2, at level 11. So you must level in order to receive the higher chances and tiers of rewards.
  3. Aetherpath is a newly added dungeon which is why it has so many achievements but it is not particularly special. It is a bit longer than most other paths and requires coordination with a good group to complete in a timely manner.
  4. Dungeons have particular paths. 1, 2, 3, 4 are all decided after you enter the instance. In the case of Twilight Arbor, You have the choice to either take the forward path or the up path after beating the first boss, but these can also be referred to as 1 or 2. Also in Twilight Arbor, you can do the Aetherpath. All dungeons, apart from Arah, have 3 explorable modes and 1 story mode. Arah has 1 story mode and 4 explorable paths.
  5. I do not know.
  6. Rush means speed run, exactly.
  7. Necros and engis and rangers are generally not wanted in Pick-up-Groups (PUGs). But all can succeed in any path or dungeon.
  8. Warriors are often wanted in PUGs, and guardians. Pre-formed groups often use the best classes for the dungeons, which can mean an elementalist, or a Mesmer, or any other class that provides a specific utility for the path at hand. Short story: Any can be the best, apart from Necro, generally.
  9. I think the sharpening stones are the best for those situations.
  10. Lemongrass something is fairly good. I like buying expensive food though, so I go with the Dragonfly Starcake. But that’s me. Omnomberry bars are the best MF food.
  11. I believe, depending on the dungeon, you can accrue anywhere between 60 and 72 tokens from each path. It varies per dungeon path.
  12. Correct.
  13. I don’t know, I would say yes.
  14. Certain dungeon gear has stats that are not acquired through a crafted inscription (Rabid, dire, cavalier, shaman, etc). When salvaging exotic dungeon gear of these stat types, you have a chance to gain the inscription/insignia.

Hope this helps!

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

(edited by Lilith Ajit.6173)

Newbie Questions

Posted by: Ariete The Phoenix.8276

Ariete The Phoenix.8276

For the 5th question, you mean damage from a single blow / skill or power(because 6k power is way too high)?

Also known as Liahm Lee

Newbie Questions

Posted by: Jeremlloyd.6837

Jeremlloyd.6837

1 – This should answer your question: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Agony

2 – The bonus chest you get from Fractal depends on your Personal Reward Level (PRL), let’s say you’re PRL 2, you can only get the daily bonus chest from tier 0 (Level 1 to 10). If you were level 11, you could do tier 0 (1-10) and tier 1 daily (11-20) From tier 0 you can’t really get anything special from the daily bonus chest, but starting from tier 1, you can get ascended Rings, Armor Chest, Weapon Chest and Fractal Weapon skins. So you should probably get your PRL to 11+ to do the tier 1 daily (to increase that level, you need to do fractals equal or superior to your PRL).

3 – Twilight Arbor Aetherpath is a path from Twilight Arbor (TA) which was introduced last September to replace another path from that dungeon (Forward / Up). It was introduced with a Living Story patch, that’s why there’s many Achievements dedicated to it.

4 – Yes exactly you choose the path once you’re inside the dungeon. But for TA, you choose at the beginning either the normal 2 paths you can do (Up and Forward) or the Aetherpath at the beginning of the instance. If you choose the normal 2 paths, you start the beginning of the dungeon normally and you’ll have to choose later if you want to go Up or Forward.

5 – No idea

6 – “Rush / Speedrun / SC” means that they skip most of the trash mobs you can skip and they only do the required objectives. Sometimes they also skip some bosses (i.e. Kholer in AC)

7 – Almost every profession with meta builds are good, but I’d say necromancer (mainly because they can’t cleave with the meta build)

8 – Every profession has its use in dungeons. But i’d say Warrior / Guardian / Elementalist / Thief / Mesmer are the class most wanted in dungeon

9 – Check http://gw2dungeons.net/ it contains useful information about each dungeons including the potion you should use.

10 – Generally you don’t take gold / mf food for dungeon, the cheap food for dungeon is probably http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Plate_of_Steak_and_Asparagus or http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Slice_of_Candied_Dragon_Roll

11 – Between 60 and 72 Tokens per daily path and like 26+ silver + the loots you get in the dungeon, which is RNG.

12 – Yes

13 – If you mean the one in Open World, yes they are soloable.

14 – Some dungeon gear has stats that can’t be crafted (Rabid, dire, cavalier, shaman, etc). When salvaging exotic dungeon gear of these stat types, you have a chance to get the inscription/insignia.

(edited by Jeremlloyd.6837)

Newbie Questions

Posted by: Pinkey Flowery.7018

Pinkey Flowery.7018

With regard to #5, I think you need a little over 2k power (not attack) to one shot the burrows.

Newbie Questions

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

I’ll give you a suggestion that will shape you into a better player over the months.

Get full berserker gear from the very beginning. It makes survival kinda tricky in some situations, but through trial and error you’ll get better at it and find out how unnecessary defense is when you make the most out of your survival tools.

Newbie Questions

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

With regard to #5, I think you need a little over 2k power (not attack) to one shot the burrows.

Need more for the second chamber in ACp3 of course (I think ~9 stacks of might with a normal zerker build is sufficient, but I could be wrong).

Newbie Questions

Pokecenter.3548

Thank you very much guys for the answers and tips Quite useful!

For the 5th question, you mean damage from a single blow / skill or power(because 6k power is way too high)?

Regarding this, i didn’t mean power because 6k would really be too high, but i didn’t mean single blow/skill either because that number may be higher or lower depending on the target’s toughness. I meant the attack power (which is based on the power plus the base damage of your weapon i believe?). I was just curious because i often see PuGs asking for 4k+ ZERK ONLY or something, and 5k+ as well, so i was wondering what was the max you could get.

Let me ask one more.

15 – About selling (on my case buying) Dungeons. I’ve a good idea about the ’’aproach’’ of how it works after reading it on some other thread, but generally do you get to kill the last boss as well (for the loot) or you merely get the Bonus Chest for completing the Dungeon?

16 – Also is there any big difference on damage between full Zerk and a mix between Zerk and Assassin’s or Rampager’s ?

Newbie Questions

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

I was just curious because i often see PuGs asking for 4k+ ZERK ONLY or something, and 5k+ as well, so i was wondering what was the max you could get.

4k+ refers to the amount of achievement points one has. Some players use it to judge the abilities of others and only allow players with a certain amount of ap in their Party.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

(edited by Turamarth.3248)

Newbie Questions

maxinion.8396

The 4k or 5k refers to the Achievement Points— not any real stat. AP is a bit funny as an I indicator of skill (it just indicates people play the game, not how good they are), but seem people insist on screening their party members with it.

For buying paths: depends on the person. Some will expect you to help. And you’ll get boss loot too. Some won’t bother and will just kill. Ask them when you join.

For berserker versus assassin: depending on the class and on the situation, it used to be worth it to mix pieces or use assassin. With the upcoming changes on April 15 nerfing crit damage a little, it will almost certainly never be worth it to wear assassins anymore. We will have to see the details once the patch is out, but that’s the common guess at the moment.

Newbie Questions

Jeremlloyd.6837

15 – Depending on the path and the seller, you may get to kill the last boss. For Arah P3, people usually wait for the buyers to come kill the last boss. I don’t think you can kill the last boss for Arah P1, P2 and P4 (depends on the seller I suppose)

16 – After the next patch, the meta will probably be full Zerk for most of the classes.

(edited by Jeremlloyd.6837)

Newbie Questions

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

15- “Buying” a dungeon essentially equates to you entering into the dungeon, paying whoever asks for money, they kill the boss while you sit, sipping your tea, and collect your tokens/gold from boss. You’ll loose some money if you do this, but it’s an easy way to get tokens/level alts/dungeon master title. A suggestion if you do this: Get a screen shot of the sellers names before you pay, that way, if they grief you, you have evidence when you report them.

16- There is, and I think that it’s approx. a 3% total damage increase with a combo of zerk/assassin’s right now. HOWEVER, this will change with the April 15th patch that nerfs crit damage. It’s suggested by the people that build, test, and do the math for these things, that you’ll want to stay w/ a pure berserker build after the April 15th patch, if you’re going to be running a meta build for highest dps in PvE.

I suggest subscribing to Nike’s channel (I think it’s turbodzan on YouTube) for suggestions on good builds. He gives really great advice, and can point you in the right direction if he doesn’t know an answer to your question. Pay attention to the forum regulars on this sub, as they’re really attentive when it comes to changes in optimal dps, and generally really nice and answer questions in game if you have them.

Good luck, and welcome to dungeons :-)

Newbie Questions

Pokecenter.3548

Whata..i was told that it was attack power, and i believed it despite finding it odd because of the popular ‘dps’ designation which is usually what people say to talk about damage. Achievement points doesn’t make any sense -.- I’ve seen people with half my ap that know more about Dungeons than i do, but i also met guys with – back in the time – more than twice my ap that didn’t know what to do. Sigh, some PuG players are always so weird, but i get it. I feel so noob right now lol.

Alright guys, once again thanks for all your help with my questions : )

Newbie Questions

maxinion.8396

15 – Depending on the path and the seller, you may get to kill the last boss. For Arah P3, people usually wait for the buyers to come kill the last boss. I don’t think you can kill the last boss for Arah P1, P2 and P4 (depends on the seller I suppose)

16 – After the next patch, the meta will probably be full Zerk for most of the classes.

With a mesmer seller, it’s fairly easy to kill the boss in P2 at least, no? You can port if you hop onto the little platform to the left of the boss.

(and even required for people to help, since mesmers have such a rough time with Belka..)

Newbie Questions

maxinion.8396

Whata..i was told that it was attack power, and i believed it despite finding it odd because of the popular ‘dps’ designation which is usually what people say to talk about damage. Achievement points doesn’t make any sense -.- I’ve seen people with half my ap that know more about Dungeons than i do, but i also met guys with – back in the time – more than twice my ap that didn’t know what to do. Sigh, some PuG players are always so weird, but i get it. I feel so noob right now lol.

Alright guys, once again thanks for all your help with my questions : )

The AP has been debated for a long time. Some people are convinced that having a minimum “experience with the game” threshold is helpful. Most aren’t.

The actual “Attack” stat isn’t actually used in the game for anything…. damage and everything is figured out directly with Power.

Newbie Questions

Jeremlloyd.6837

With a mesmer seller, it’s fairly easy to kill the boss in P2 at least, no? You can port if you hop onto the little platform to the left of the boss.

(and even required for people to help, since mesmers have such a rough time with Belka..)

Well yeah you can portal with a mesmer to the last boss for P2, but I don’t know if sellers are doing that since I don’t sell Arah anymore

Newbie Questions

Posted by: Ariete The Phoenix.8276

Ariete The Phoenix.8276

From what I was told, the “attack” stat was going to change after the patch so we can easily calculate our real attack. Just wait until the patch for that.

Also known as Liahm Lee

Newbie Questions

maxinion.8396

Well yeah you can portal with a mesmer to the last boss for P2, but I don’t know if sellers are doing that since I don’t sell Arah anymore

It’s what I’ve done in the past, but I haven’t sold a path in a month or two so I don’t know if it’s in style still

Newbie Questions

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

portalling if you have a mesmer seems to be the norm, partly because (I think) mesmer can’t solo the last boss easily.