Nightmare Dungeons

Nightmare Dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Star Reaver.8415

Star Reaver.8415

If this topic has been touched on before please disregard.. also if you dislike the idea of using other MMOs as models to inspire new content please disregard…

This idea actually comes from another MMO I’ve played (namely TSW) and I think it could work well with GW2 <maybe they had something similar in GW – not sure never played it> But the idea would be to leave most dungeons as they are – relatively speaking… and add a new Tier to all existing dungeons called “nightmare (dungeon)” or whatever u wish to call it..

Now as it stands you can do AC explore at lvl 35+ or so and CoF explore at lvl 75+ but with NM (nightmare) AC and NM CoF they would specifically be for Lvl 80s and by extension be more difficult with an increase in rare/exotic drops.

Now along with the idea of NM dungeons – TSW also added the “Gate Keeper” that acted as a 1v1 test to unlock Nightmare Dungeons and would adjust its attacks/tactics based on the role you played – tank,healer,dps (would be changed to profession in this case maybe) so if you skills weren’t up to snuff you were forced to evaluate your build and gear and really learn ur skills before making another attempt on the Gate Keper…

I’d also like to add that I would prefer anet to improve and balance the current dungeons as they have been – but in the future and if time and development allows.. just a thought :-3

Nightmare Dungeons

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

I’d sign up for harder versions of existing dungeons if you had a high chance of getting great loot and extra tokens

Nightmare Dungeons

Posted by: Edd Scissorhands.4108

Edd Scissorhands.4108

Gw1 had a harder mode, it was called hard mode. You could toggle on or off hard mode for any pve or dungeon content. All monsters were scaled up to around level 28-30 (level cap at 20) and had better drops. I would love to see that make a comeback in gw2.

Nightmare Dungeons

Posted by: torbjorn.9642

torbjorn.9642

I agree to this, never played GW1, but the idea of harder content in a already existing dungeon for better loot is quite a good idea and i would love to see this in the game.

Mesmer on Aurora Glades.
Jade-reapers.com

Nightmare Dungeons

MastaNeenja.1537

I remember hard mode in GW1, i don’t think you could do it in PVE since it’s so open, but you could do it any closed instance such as Personal Story Missions, Dungeons, and Fractals. I think starting with Dungeons would be a good experiment. They could do it with the first two Dungeons, AC and CM if it goes well incorporate it into the remaining dungeons.

Nightmare Dungeons

Posted by: Pinch.4273

Pinch.4273

I’d rather have the existing dungeons be rewarding and interesting before getting a hard mode version of what they currently are.

Nightmare Dungeons

Posted by: SSalp.6423

SSalp.6423

Hard mode dungeons? I’m in!

Immotal Kingdom[KING] – Desolation

Nightmare Dungeons

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Are you sure? Think of the HP bars you’ll be slogging through and considering how much damage the enemies are doing right now, hard mode will have nothing but one shot attacks.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Nightmare Dungeons

Posted by: torbjorn.9642

torbjorn.9642

Are you sure? Think of the HP bars you’ll be slogging through and considering how much damage the enemies are doing right now, hard mode will have nothing but one shot attacks.

learn to dodge and play as a team and this shouldn’t be a problem

Mesmer on Aurora Glades.
Jade-reapers.com

Nightmare Dungeons

MastaNeenja.1537

I’d rather have the existing dungeons be rewarding and interesting before getting a hard mode version of what they currently are.

This is not one of those I hate dungeons they are too hard/boring threads. There are plenty of those.

This is a thread about making an optional hard mode with greater rewards/loot.

Nightmare Dungeons

Pinch.4273

This is not one of those I hate dungeons they are too hard/boring threads. There are plenty of those.

I never said they were too hard. I think the dungeons are too easy. What I meant is that the devs should worry about making the dungeons more interesting and team-oriented first, before they worry about making a hardmode. The current dungeons are not worthy of a hardmode.

(edited by Pinch.4273)

Nightmare Dungeons

MastaNeenja.1537

I never said they were too hard. I think the dungeons are too easy. What I meant is that the devs should worry about making the dungeons more interesting and team-oriented first, before they worry about making a hardmode. The current dungeons are not worthy of a hardmode.

Ok that was misunderstanding on my part, I apologize for that. Anything that improves team work and party diversity I am also in favor of. It seems these days that some groups will only accept you into their party if you’re playing a profession they approve of. But that’s another topic.

I am curious though, what kind of changes would you suggest would improve the dungeon experience prior to implementing a nightmare/hard mode?

Nightmare Dungeons

Pinch.4273

The bosses in general need to involve the entire team a lot more than they do now. For the most part, a lot of bosses just chase one or two people, and the others just kinda sit there and do damage. They also don’t do enough stuff. There is too much downtime on bosses where they’re just trying to melee, or slowly plinking away with their ranged weapon.

Another big thing is that some of the bosses aren’t even really “bosses”. CoF path 2 comes to mind (you kill 4 trash mobs and hit a big object in the middle of the room).

I’d like to see:

• Interrupts playing a greater role
  • More things that you need condition removal for
  • More stuns to stun break
  • More adds on fights, because 5 players versus a single mob is too easy.
  • More stuff happening. Snowblind Fractal should have his line of ice spikes happening the entire fight, not just when he goes up.
  • Actual fight mechanics not being ignorable (CoF path 1, ignore the crystals)

That would be a good start. Once we’ve got those, we can start talking hard modes!

Nightmare Dungeons

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

learn to dodge and play as a team and this shouldn’t be a problem

You seem to have missed the point and how exactly is dodging going to help wear down a large health pool?

Nightmare Dungeons

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I’m going to go against the grain here and say “no thank you” to harder dungeons with greater rewards.

The thing is, most players clamoring for harder content don’t actually want the harder challenge. All they really want are exclusive rewards. If presented with more challenging content they will take every step possible to make the content as easy as possible to obtain said rewards. Thus in essence they nullify the added challenge that they originally piped for.

Now, I am all for harder content, don’t get me wrong. I am simply for it w/o the increased reward. I am in for the challenge as a reward in itself.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Nightmare Dungeons

Posted by: Star Reaver.8415

Star Reaver.8415

Essence Snow.3194

“The thing is, most players clamoring for harder content don’t actually want the harder challenge. All they really want are exclusive rewards. If presented with more challenging content they will take every step possible to make the content as easy as possible to obtain said rewards. Thus in essence they nullify the added challenge that they originally piped for.”

(playful sarcasm) For you to suggest that a human being would exploit a situation to make it less work and more reward is….. is… well a great insight into human nature frankly… but seriously

as my OP stated.. I’m all for them fine tuning the dungeons as they currently stand first and for most… but being a hypothetical person… I like to ask myself what ifs… what if there was a 4th phase to Lupi…what if those people that can solo dungeons were to form a so called “super” group… What dungeon would challenge them I wonder… But what fractals has shown is that people are willing to try harder events for greater reward.. why not spice up the dungeons as well for those who wish it

either way I am looking forward to future updates in all aspects of the game

Nightmare Dungeons

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

But what fractals has shown is that people are willing to try harder events for greater reward.. why not spice up the dungeons as well for those who wish it

They did it there too though. Glitching through the walls in the dredge fractal, glitching through the rock slide in the asura fractal, standing on the rock on the colosus fractal, aoe the final seal, using terrain exploits to bypass the ascalonian barricades, the list goes on and on. While the devs have fixed many of these…there are still many left that most upper level groups use to bypass the challenge and reap the rewards.

Serenity now~Insanity later