Nightmare fractal feedback [merged]

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

If you didn’t know already you can jump over the orbs without taking damage.

Can you really?? Huh. That would definitely make the fight a lot easier. I must try that out the next time I’m in Nightmare.

i swear to god thats not the case i have tried countless times to jump over the irbs but i stll get dmg and its not lagg or anything what you can do tho stay bac w8 for them to open up and pass between them

zealex.9410

I normally don`t post anything on the forums, but since the feedback to this fractal is so overwhelmingly positive, I just felt the need to say sth. about it, as I feel that maybe the majority of the gw2 players doesn`t feel the same about it as the people voicing their thoughts in this forum.

First of all: I like doing fractals, it maybe is the content I like most about GW2. I do t4 dailies pretty much every day, as they are doable within a reasonable timeframe and give decent rewards – unlike a lot of other content in the game.
I consider myself a pretty decent player and I like content that is challenging to some extent, I am not interested in steamrolling everything and being given rewards for free. But: Although I am in a guild, I often like to pug t4 fractals because after a long day at work with a lot of talking I don`t feel like using ts to coordinate with my mates. I guess that for a lot of other gw2 players this is pretty much the same. I am sure this fractal is easily doable within a coordinated guild group, but if the precondition of having a premade group is notfulfilled, you might have massive problems clearing t4 dailies now. With pug groups you are so dependent on luck with the mates you get, that this type of content is simply not reliably doable anymore. You might get lucky and just get it done quickly, but you also might get 5 groups in a row that play the downstate rota.
Generally, there is nothing wrong about content that requires premades, like raids, but why does that type of content have to be injected into “normal” fractals now? Make it live somewhere else, like raids do, make this type of fractals t5 fractals, whatever. But currently Anet is basically taking sth. that existed before (reliably doable t4 dailies) from a lot of players instead of just adding sth. on top for people who want more challenging content. To me, although I am not negatively impacted directly by this, this is not the right direction to take. The design of the fractal is raidlike, it is the next step in the evolution of new content catering mainly to the elitists within gw2 that want harder and harder content, gating desirable rewards behind requirements the majority of the playerbase can`t fulfill.

Now let the hate begin, hit me with all the good stuff, like “Your English is bad”, “Just do t3 dailies”, “You probably are way worse than you think you are”, “git gud”, “I easily pugged this like 100 times yesterday” and so on ..

neither the normal 100 fractal nor the challenge mote require you to run a premade group it does make things easier but it all comes to personal skill if you learn the encounters and become good it doesnt matter if you only pug it or not it will get easier its a case of “practice makes perfect” its also a case of "the freaking thing is like 1 weeek old let it sink in for a bit and the playerbase will get confortable with it

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

We finally got round to it and we enjoyed it, despite not being the most skilled or experienced fractal team around. Some interesting mechanics, although it was a bit of a shame it was nothing like the LS1 Nightmare Tower – the narrative wasn’t as clear cut for telling its story. I guess that would have been too hard to pull off as a fractal and at least it does feel a bit more standalone.

It was vastly better than the over-long Chaos fractal and it was nice to get back to the short blast of instanced content that Fractals at its best, does so well.

One thing to note, when we went to get the corpse by the shark, a couple of ppl died. At no point could we get the group out of combat to be able to “retry from checkpoint”. We tried moving surviving players away, we tried suiciding different members of the group, but once one person retried from checkpoint, no one else could. Is that a bug or some mechanic we overlooked?
In the end, we individually got one person to retry and then die closer to the shore for a manual revive and repeated until all were up.

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

If you didn’t know already you can jump over the orbs without taking damage.

Can you really?? Huh. That would definitely make the fight a lot easier. I must try that out the next time I’m in Nightmare.

i swear to god thats not the case i have tried countless times to jump over the irbs but i stll get dmg and its not lagg or anything what you can do tho stay bac w8 for them to open up and pass between them

Yeah, I was wrong about this. My friend told me this but upon testing it myself it seemed like the orbs just did less damage than one would think, not that jumping worked. I deleted my post when I realized this but it seems someone quoted me.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I finally got to try the Nightmare fractal at 100. I do love this fractal…but the final boss.

My husband and I first tried it with pugs and we wiped repeatedly (maybe bad pugs?), dailies reset before we could finish but we didn’t give up. We found 3 guildmates to help out and still wiped a couple more times but we finally got it. It’s a really good fight but I hate how many times I was out of endurance so I couldn’t dodge yet another attack. I know it’s going to take learning all of the different tells for some of the things, but some of the attack chains felt cheap as hell. The pound (run out of the circle), then shockwave (jump it) and then the hallucinations (dodge) is brutal if you miss the very first get out of the circle because you have no chance to recover from the second and third parts of the attack chain. It feels a kitteneap.

I feel like it takes a little bit too long to cap the circles during the bullet hell phase too. Just a little bit too long. You don’t want them to cap too fast obviously, but this part of the phase just felt like it could use a few seconds shaved off.

Projectiles you can’t destroy/reflect feel bad. I understand not being able to reflect them but if I could at least nullify a few of them with Corrosive Poison cloud it would make the phase more manageable for me. This is unlikely to change so I’ll figure out how to do this phase better. However, their hit box feels like it’s way bigger than they appear so I kept getting hit by them even though I didn’t think I was that close.

It felt good finally beating the final fight. I do wish the basic lvl 100 was tuned down just a little for the final fight mostly so I don’t have to spend 30min-1 hr on one fractal when it’s the daily. I generally only have an hour to do fractals when I get home from work and don’t have time after reset to do them before I go to bed, but that’s my own issue to work out.

Overall, it’s a great fight and I’ll get better at it and eventually try the challenge mote.

Posted by: kazafz.6780

kazafz.6780

Hi all,

After spending a couple of hours in F100 CM, I finally managed to complete it last night. I really enjoyed the mechanics and encounter of this fractal as I felt it has helped me develop more as a player.

With all the wipes that I’ve experienced, it has made me improve better as a player both mechanically as well as understanding more about my classes.

Thanks a-net~

Kazuals Only

Posted by: Saverio.1936

Saverio.1936

Honestly a very fun and interesting fractal. I’ve recently gotten into the Master Scales and I’ll be having high hopes for Scale 100.

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

Thank you for the new fractal and good job. Nightmare at 100 was and is a fun challenge to beat. Good amount of difficulty but can be done without having to be in exclusive raid team and the baggage that comes with that. Nice work!!

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

..but some of the attack chains felt cheap as hell. The pound (run out of the circle), then shockwave (jump it) and then the hallucinations (dodge) is brutal if you miss the very first get out of the circle because you have no chance to recover from the second and third parts of the attack chain. It feels a kittenslap.

There’s a handy little trick to that I believe few ppl figure it out as well (I did by myself) but dodge into his circle and somewhat close to his hitbox and u will avoid shockwave entirely. Then simple dodge follow by that but, more commonly, simply sidestepping out of that minion explode part will likewise do the trick.

Therefore u reduce it from max of 3 dodges to roughly 1.5 dodges being required (provided ur somewhere close to boss). If not, dodge shockwave and sidestep out for an average of 0.5 dodges. Imo ranged does have it slightly easier for this attack.

It felt good finally beating the final fight. I do wish the basic lvl 100 was tuned down just a little for the final fight mostly so I don’t have to spend 30min-1 hr on one fractal when it’s the daily.

I want the end boss buffed, in the sense I hope they add in some measure of unpredictability to his rotations so ur not always rolling ur eyes knowing what he do next. Kind of like lupi.. hundreds of kills later, that guy still manages to surprise u. That’s just so amazing to me.

Fractal bosses have an unhealthy tendency to be scripted and so obviously cd-based on their rotations that’s a yawn moment that u can predict exactly what attack (or narrow the list greatly) is next in his set pattern. Case in point, archdiviner. Perhaps even chaos end boss to some degree, but she still has tendency to shock me past 50%.

Nightmare end boss? No element of surprise once u get it down. He does shield (no defiance phase) immediately followed by either knockback or shockwave attk. U alrdy know what he’s gonna do next, he just cycles through a set of 3-4 attks and never does the same one twice. It’s just so unstimulating even the normal mode I just want to cry…

Difficulty (or nerfing of it) is not the issue. Unpredictability is.

Those split moment decisions rarely there. There’s nothing u fail cos u can’t respond in time to it. On contrary u have plenty of time and warning. But u fail bc u are just careless, or don’t have any dodges left, or there no heals, or u don’t cc fast enough. Not cos it’s challenging per se.

Arun Kar

Posted by: Deihnyx.6318

Deihnyx.6318

I loved this fractal, althought I must say… is it intended to only have the first part of the music battle of the breachmaker for the last boss?
The music has 3 parts, each of them getting more intense, the boss also has 3 phases, I can hear that the music resets after each phase but the music is always part 1.

This is one of the best musics for this game, it needs to be fixed, please?

Posted by: Oh Snapalope.1378

Oh Snapalope.1378

Pretty much a healer + DH/chrono will anchor the team. Well played DH/chrono along with a healer will hard carry the group. I like seeing a more active style in terms of mitigating damage from well timed invul, blocks, and stability.

Posted by: kazafz.6780

kazafz.6780

There’s a handy little trick to that I believe few ppl figure it out as well (I did by myself) but dodge into his circle and somewhat close to his hitbox and u will avoid shockwave entirely. Then simple dodge follow by that but, more commonly, simply sidestepping out of that minion explode part will likewise do the trick.

Therefore u reduce it from max of 3 dodges to roughly 1.5 dodges being required (provided ur somewhere close to boss). If not, dodge shockwave and sidestep out for an average of 0.5 dodges. Imo ranged does have it slightly easier for this attack.

Further to this neat trick, I would like to also share a similar trick for Necro players which I found out about after another guild member told me about.

For Necros, when the boss does the stomp:

1. Dodge into it so you can dodge both the stomp + shockwave – as nagr mentioned above
  2. When the minions spawn, pop your F1 (shroud) and tank the minion explosion
  3. Once the explosion finishes, immediately exit shroud and you will see that your life force is at full again

Therefore Necros can just use 1 dodge to fully mitigate that whole stomp + shockwave + minion explosion mechanic.

Kazuals Only

zealex.9410

I finally got to try the Nightmare fractal at 100. I do love this fractal…but the final boss.

My husband and I first tried it with pugs and we wiped repeatedly (maybe bad pugs?), dailies reset before we could finish but we didn’t give up. We found 3 guildmates to help out and still wiped a couple more times but we finally got it. It’s a really good fight but I hate how many times I was out of endurance so I couldn’t dodge yet another attack. I know it’s going to take learning all of the different tells for some of the things, but some of the attack chains felt cheap as hell. The pound (run out of the circle), then shockwave (jump it) and then the hallucinations (dodge) is brutal if you miss the very first get out of the circle because you have no chance to recover from the second and third parts of the attack chain. It feels a kitteneap.

I feel like it takes a little bit too long to cap the circles during the bullet hell phase too. Just a little bit too long. You don’t want them to cap too fast obviously, but this part of the phase just felt like it could use a few seconds shaved off.

Projectiles you can’t destroy/reflect feel bad. I understand not being able to reflect them but if I could at least nullify a few of them with Corrosive Poison cloud it would make the phase more manageable for me. This is unlikely to change so I’ll figure out how to do this phase better. However, their hit box feels like it’s way bigger than they appear so I kept getting hit by them even though I didn’t think I was that close.

It felt good finally beating the final fight. I do wish the basic lvl 100 was tuned down just a little for the final fight mostly so I don’t have to spend 30min-1 hr on one fractal when it’s the daily. I generally only have an hour to do fractals when I get home from work and don’t have time after reset to do them before I go to bed, but that’s my own issue to work out.

Overall, it’s a great fight and I’ll get better at it and eventually try the challenge mote.

but bullet phase is a perfect break you can just die relax for a sec and leave the others who might be better at it do it and then you ress as fr the prjecctiles i was expecting as a mesmer to feel cheated since i cant reflect it but it doesnt feel lke taht the fact that you can walk between them and the further they go the more the room to walk is feels fair

zealex.9410

i dont want this to change but feel i should report this the event like phase after the where you need to destroy the three orb to progress you can skip the walking part to get to the 2 small ones by simply stacking under the platforms and cheesing it like that.

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Challenge Mote was a blast! Awesome 5-man “raid” wink wink! Loved it.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

I like the concept of this fractal. It has unique challenges and requires effort and attention to detail.

I hate this fractal’s implementation.

• Enolyss has the health of a freaking god. So much so that the fight takes nearly 15 minutes with a PS warrior and everybody DPS’ing as hard as they can. When you fail the fight, that’s 15 frigging minutes of your life you just wasted. That’s not fun, especially when some of us have real lives and jobs and can’t spend a lot of time every time this fractal comes up in rotation.
  • Enolyss’ aggro AI wails on players who are downed, making it even harder and longer to rez. His charge attack at high levels will instantly kill anybody who has been downed. This is salt and punishment on the wound.
  • The difficulty of the fractal is much higher than other fractals. But where’s the extra rewards? Great, some skins that I don’t care for much and are one time loot drops. Why would I want higher difficulty and see no real increase in reward? Isn’t that the point of risk vs reward?

I had to quit tonight with a competent group because we failed twice near Enolyss’ death and I had to go to work the next day. That was nearly 45 minutes of playtime wasted. That’s not fun and is insulting.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

(edited by Vagrant.7206)

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

1- Does he have more health in normal mode than in challenge mode? Because I know from our daily challenge mode runs that he dies in about 5 minutes. I cannot imagine any way how the kill would take you 15 minutes. Are you doing a 5 man party run or are you just soloing/duoing it?

2- EZ solution: don’t get downed during the fight. His attacks are SO CLEARLY telegraphed, you absolutely SHOULD be punished for ingoring them. Also, his charge doesn’t kill anyone even in challenge mode. It just applies a few bleeds. They have the potential to kill you eventually, so either heal through it or condi cleanse.

3 – I dunno, to me this seems to work just like with any other fractal. The difficulty is fine IMO. Challenge mode can possibly feel a bit_ challenging at first, but becomes really easy once you get accustomed to it.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

1- Does he have more health in normal mode than in challenge mode? Because I know from our daily challenge mode runs that he dies in about 5 minutes. I cannot imagine any way how the kill would take you 15 minutes. Are you doing a 5 man party run or are you just soloing/duoing it?

2- EZ solution: don’t get downed during the fight. His attacks are SO CLEARLY telegraphed, you absolutely SHOULD be punished for ingoring them. Also, his charge doesn’t kill anyone even in challenge mode. It just applies a few bleeds. They have the potential to kill you eventually, so either heal through it or condi cleanse.

3 – I dunno, to me this seems to work just like with any other fractal. The difficulty is fine IMO. Challenge mode can possibly feel a bit_ challenging at first, but becomes really easy once you get accustomed to it.

1 Because people still range the fight. Even though its made easier if you are near melee range to it (~180 units) any further than that and he does more than just tail swipe.

2 is false. It will down most classes that dont have 17k hp. If hit in downstate, you will die.

3. Yes its easier with time and pracice

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

• I don’t run with any particular group because my guild doesn’t do that and I don’t have enough friends who play fractals regularly. It’s rare that PUGs are optimized appropriately for the fight, the result is it taking 15 minutes.
  • There are times when you cannot dodge his attacks. Such as when your evade bar is empty from dodging previous attacks, or when you’re trying to get a teammate up to keep them from dying. And his charge attack will instantly kill a downed player, normal or challenge mode. Not sure what fractal you’re playing. Only time I haven’t seen it do that is when somebody’s build is specifically designed to be a tank, such as a celestial druid.
  • No, this fight is clearly different in terms of difficulty – even with practice. Bloomheart you can kite around while people get dead people up. You cannot kite Enolyss — his attacks are huge and he switches targets rapidly and without any predictability. Mossy also doesn’t sit around and wail on downed people. Enolyss hits also do significantly more damage, and a single person going down can doom the entire fight, especially if it occurs in the later phases of the fight.
  • I also want to point out that the increase in difficulty on Bloomy was not accompanied by better loot either. This is a problem ANet seems to have when it comes to understanding risk vs reward.
The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

(edited by Vagrant.7206)

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

Well, that’s the so called “pug lyfe”.
It has nothing to do with the new fractal. If I pug there will be still plenty of players struggling during dredge fractal, especially at the final boss and also not to mention here: Thaumanova.

From my point of view it was easier to learn the Nightmare fractal than it was to explore full stuff at dredge and Thauma.

There are also times when you don’t need to rez: The orb phases. Just finish them and everybody who is dead will be revived. I had several lvl 100 runs and in all of them we had fully downed ppl and got them up without problems. You just have to watch out for the boss and react appropriately.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

• I don’t run with any particular group because my guild doesn’t do that and I don’t have enough friends who play fractals regularly. It’s rare that PUGs are optimized appropriately for the fight, the result is it taking 15 minutes.
  • There are times when you cannot dodge his attacks. Such as when your evade bar is empty from dodging previous attacks, or when you’re trying to get a teammate up to keep them from dying. And his charge attack will instantly kill a downed player, normal or challenge mode. Not sure what fractal you’re playing. Only time I haven’t seen it do that is when somebody’s build is specifically designed to be a tank, such as a celestial druid.
  • No, this fight is clearly different in terms of difficulty – even with practice. Bloomheart you can kite around while people get dead people up. You cannot kite Enolyss — his attacks are huge and he switches targets rapidly and without any predictability. Mossy also doesn’t sit around and wail on downed people. Enolyss hits also do significantly more damage, and a single person going down can doom the entire fight, especially if it occurs in the later phases of the fight.
  • I also want to point out that the increase in difficulty on Bloomy was not accompanied by better loot either. This is a problem ANet seems to have when it comes to understanding risk vs reward.

Not true, his charged attack not always kill in downed state, even in 100 cm. They don’t even have to be running tank gear as u say.. I’ve seen many druid not even get half dmg in downed from charge. I’m heavy and zerk, if downed I get maybe 70% dmg in downed from charge (without boons). How u say

Full stack def pots, perma prot, food pots. All told like abt 70% dmg reduc from just this. But that not necessarily how it works I guess, it seems these boons not additive (judging from wiki).

If my calculation r right then this all translate to abt 22% dmg reduction for heavy from no boons to safe boons. This take also into acct iirc one of mist pots transfers some % to ur toughness, thus help further with dmg reduction.

So downed not 100% die from charge, even pugs and even if full zerk

__

u ask me last fight is like bad joke (almost) even on challenge. Really predictable and his attacks go in order, rarely breaks chain of attacks to surprise u (it’s cd-based so u can usually predict next move). His entire fight with him is yawnfest. Only ppl that run out of dodge die. But if u have infinite mist pots u will never run out of dodge ever.

The only crazy thing is the orbs. Orbs r frustrating for 90% of pugs I see, especially that 2nd orb phase is like a kittenstorm of raining kitten. Grps all wipe usually on this part.. then start over. This phase needs nerf bad (imo)

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Posted by: Asgard Ragna.8165

Asgard Ragna.8165

One thing that I’d like changed is how often pets get knocked back and interrupted by Ensolyss. I don’t like how my Frost Spirit gets pushed around so much that I have to just destroy it and resummon it eventually.

I noticed that the bombs in the Hallucination Maze targeted defeated players which felt strange.

I think the health on the boss in Tier 4 might be a tad high. It might be because of how the transitions on this boss go though. Currently we fight 33% of the boss’ health in the first phase, 33% in the second, 18% in the third and 15% in the fourth. I think it might feel better if it was 30%/30%/25%/15%.

I have done the last boss of 100cm quite a few times now and I have never seen a downstead player survive his charge attack when it hits with all hits. Not even warriors with their 20k+ life. So you are either lying, misinterpreted the situation or your or my runs were rigged.

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

One thing that I’d like changed is how often pets get knocked back and interrupted by Ensolyss. I don’t like how my Frost Spirit gets pushed around so much that I have to just destroy it and resummon it eventually.

I noticed that the bombs in the Hallucination Maze targeted defeated players which felt strange.

I think the health on the boss in Tier 4 might be a tad high. It might be because of how the transitions on this boss go though. Currently we fight 33% of the boss’ health in the first phase, 33% in the second, 18% in the third and 15% in the fourth. I think it might feel better if it was 30%/30%/25%/15%.

I have done the last boss of 100cm quite a few times now and I have never seen a downstead player survive his charge attack when it hits with all hits. Not even warriors with their 20k+ life. So you are either lying, misinterpreted the situation or your or my runs were rigged.

I’m not really sure what you’re on about because I didn’t even mention Ensolyss’ charge attack in my post.

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

T4 fractals are supposed to be pre raid content, the bosses should not be balanced for an uncoordinated PUG in any way.

You need to learn the fight. There is not a single point during the fight were you have to double dodge to avoid something. e.g. His purple square attack: The second hit is always left of the first hit (directions are based on the bosses view).
Or the jump on the ground, shockwave, images with the jump. Either dodge into him or dodge to the outside, jump the wave and move away from the position you were standing when he hit the ground the first time, the images spawn were people stood when he finished the first hit.

The orb phases at 66% and 33% revive everyone at the end.

The challenge mode for lvl 100 has significantly more rewards than normal the normal version. Swamp was just a revamp to make it more interesting and fit the new goal for T4 fractals.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

cm MUST NOT be daily but separate ! i do not play cm but i like to do my daily so every single party in lfg i cm !

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

cm MUST NOT be daily but separate ! i do not play cm but i like to do my daily so every single party in lfg i cm !

Yes, Challenge mode is optional content. If nightmare is the daily, just join a daily run. People who advertise Challenge mode will state it.