No one will do Story Mode!

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I don’t think adding tokens to story mode dungeons is really conducive to the point of story mode. You play story mode for the story, you play explorer mode to explore. or grind…Honestly, people who run story mode with their friends helping them through it should get alternate currency than EM currency. People will then optimize which is more efficient to farm and you’ll have an imbalance of groups. If you’re helping someone out in story mode, do it like they do in Fractals, reward Karma. There’s plenty of things that still require karma, and nice people should receive nice things in return

The problem with this is that story mode is also, according to ANet, the “normal mode” dungeons. Not tokens or really any meaningful reward to speak of means no repeat value. None. For normal mode dungeons, leaving only the “hard mode” dungeons as repeated content.

As to Karma, if you aren’t going for a legendary and don’t want to gear multiple alts in temple exotics, it’s not good for much. Now, if they put in more stuff that karma could buy, then maybe that would change.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

120 tokens for doing a story mode dungeon with someone in the party that never did it before.

It’s not that hard really to motivate people. Greed is very good for that :p

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I’ve not had any problems finding parties for story mode using LFG. Recently did all story modes for a new character that I’ve been levelling.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

Tried “Death or Victory” last night (Kill Zaitan) and bugs aside (falling below the ship and running around in mid air.. lol) a casual group won’t finish it (we had to stop after 2 rage quit). This makes it even more impossible for some to even hope to ever see it, and finish the storyline. Anet’s path is clear reduce the difficulty. I don’t care if they take all loot drops out, and only give us the final rewards. I have played MMO’s since SWG launched. I know my class, and can solo a lot of things groups fail at. I’m no newbie, I just realize they need to reduce the difficulty of the this quest line. Especially when they have no “Lock” system to allow you to leave and rest and go back to your previous point in the mission. To start over completely is truly ridiculous. Hell, even LOTRO has this and crash recovery.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Tried “Death or Victory” last night (Kill Zaitan) and bugs aside (falling below the ship and running around in mid air.. lol) a casual group won’t finish it (we had to stop after 2 rage quit). This makes it even more impossible for some to even hope to ever see it, and finish the storyline. Anet’s path is clear reduce the difficulty. I don’t care if they take all loot drops out, and only give us the final rewards. I have played MMO’s since SWG launched. I know my class, and can solo a lot of things groups fail at. I’m no newbie, I just realize they need to reduce the difficulty of the this quest line. Especially when they have no “Lock” system to allow you to leave and rest and go back to your previous point in the mission. To start over completely is truly ridiculous. Hell, even LOTRO has this and crash recovery.

reducing difficulty is a slippery slope

all content must be reduce to the point that experience player will consider this game too easy.

Its better to train the player to overcome difficulty. However, regular pvE is too easy

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I don’t think adding tokens to story mode dungeons is really conducive to the point of story mode. You play story mode for the story, you play explorer mode to explore. or grind…Honestly, people who run story mode with their friends helping them through it should get alternate currency than EM currency. People will then optimize which is more efficient to farm and you’ll have an imbalance of groups. If you’re helping someone out in story mode, do it like they do in Fractals, reward Karma. There’s plenty of things that still require karma, and nice people should receive nice things in return

There’s no use for karma other than to blow it on orrian boxes, legenadries, or cultural weapons. With dailies and monthlies karma is raining like candy.

Posted by: Empressium.5482

Empressium.5482

how bout 250 tokens for doin story mode cuz its anet’s sacred number for uhhhh everything?

Posted by: kitsuneKyo.6824

kitsuneKyo.6824

…7 months later after the ANET post: nothing changed. Still noone is giving the slightest f*** about story modes. really gj. oh and i love how wonderful AC explo introduces explo modes to newer players. why not punch them in the face in the first place so they’ll never wanna try explo again?

Posted by: voidwater.2064

voidwater.2064

Just make story mode give tokens. I really can’t understand why people try to make some irrelevant distinction between “story” and “explorable” paths. A dungeon path is a dungeon path. Separating them is unnecessary, a flawed premise.

Posted by: Numot.3965

Numot.3965

Make story mode drop really solid loot and gold to make up for the fact it doesn’t grant tokens. You want cash and drops, you do story. You want tokens, do explorable.

Posted by: Bogartan.2756

Bogartan.2756

I haven’t run a dungeon yet because I hated them in WoW. I’ve hit a small wall after reaching level 80 a few months ago, so I’m thinking of running some story-mode dungeons.

This thread gives me pause though. And still no LFG or Dungeon Queue. Seriously, it’s been months.

Sorrow’s Furnace
{SN} Sentimental Nightmares
Darsveth, Warrior – Dexter Oliver, Thief

Posted by: Zindrix.1750

Zindrix.1750

You can try http://www.gw2lfg.com but there’s not a lot of story dungeons being done overall.

I really don’t know why the devs haven’t simple a simple LFG system like that since it’s just a simple web interface not too different from the TP.

(edited by Zindrix.1750)

Posted by: Goliath.7382

Goliath.7382

I honestly came onto the forums just to make a thread about this topic. Glad to see I’m not the only one who has a problem with the current set up.

Here’s the real problem with the current set-up. Exp Mode requires that at least one person in the group has completed Story Mode. Seeing as how no one wants to do Story Mode, running Exp Mode means that you are dependent on the veteran players to even enter the dungeon. The game isn’t even a year old, so that’s really not too bad of an issue now.

However, as the game gets older, a good portion of these veteran players are eventually going to stop playing. That’s simply the nature of MMOs. As much as the publisher would like to believe that their players are always going to stay, people WILL eventually stop playing. New games will eventually come out, and people will want to try those games out, and many simply won’t come back.

As time goes on, the amount of “veteran” players with access to Exp Mode dungeons is going to start going way down, to the point where finding a group who’s both willing and actually able to do them is going to be just as bad as finding groups for Story Mode now.

Posted by: Xehanort.4589

Xehanort.4589

Simple but really simple fix to this (i don’t know if it’s already been posted here) is to make story mode scale up with the number of players so it can be soloed and it would give people a nice thing to do while not feeling like playing with other players.

Posted by: Zindrix.1750

Zindrix.1750

Simple but really simple fix to this (i don’t know if it’s already been posted here) is to make story mode scale up with the number of players so it can be soloed and it would give people a nice thing to do while not feeling like playing with other players.

Single player instances are actually kind of fun. High density mobs and more challenging than regular PvE without having to rely on other people. The problem is that the dungeons were already designed for multiple people so reworking that would be a rather large time/money investment as well as the fact that for some reason GW2 devs hate the idea of players farming, and people would certainly farm single player dungeons.

Posted by: Tarnsman.8092

Tarnsman.8092

I’d like to see badges of honor from SM dungeons so people can have another way of getting them than bumbling around in WvW for no other reason than to get badges (myself included) and this would be a better alternative than dungeon tokens…

Posted by: Chain.4087

Chain.4087

They should have made SM solo instances tied to the personal story rather than crafted “intro” dungeons to that are sometimes longer/harder than some explorable paths itself.

This is a really great idea.

Make “Story Mode” solo-able, but also twiddle it so that it teaches the mechanics that will be seen in “Explorable Mode.”

You can even give the NPCs dialogue that explains what the bosses are doing and how to best counter it, since they are there anyways!

(edited by Chain.4087)

Posted by: kitsuneKyo.6824

kitsuneKyo.6824

They should have made SM solo instances tied to the personal story rather than crafted “intro” dungeons to that are sometimes longer/harder than some explorable paths itself.

This is a really great idea.

Make “Story Mode” solo-able, but also twiddle it so that it teaches the mechanics that will be seen in “Explorable Mode.”

You can even give the NPCs dialogue that explains what the bosses are doing and how to best counter it, since they are there anyways!

best thing EVER. since the telegraphs are bad anyway on most bosses

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

No one will do Story Mode because there’s too little reward for the time wastes. This discourages experienced players and new players alike.

Posted by: Kisare of Cantha.2085

Kisare of Cantha.2085

very true Ominous, im just addin my voice

Posted by: Wirinus Satinus.8246

Wirinus Satinus.8246

Easy solution for this problem is to give 100 tokens when you finish story and make it so that reward re spawn weekly or monthly so the other players can have incentive to do story modes again

Posted by: Patrandec.7830

Patrandec.7830

Arggggh! This is driving me mad – I simply cannot progress in the dungeons without doing the Story Mode, but no-one wants to help. God know how new players are expected to progress in this game as the dungeons are, at the moment, closed off to them.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

It’s too bad more ppl don’t ever think to check this forum:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/events

But still… I took some randoms through SE last week. And I don’t wanna say it was torture, but these were all level 80’s so they should have performed a bit better at it than I did on my all-healing guardian @ level 60 the first time I did it… NOPE. It took almost 2 hours!… Even if we had an LFG tool in-game, I’d predict a lot of failing followed by even more complaining on the forums b/c ….

… well … how do I put this bluntly with out sounding like a total kitt hole?

… Being prevented from finding a team is probably BETTER for a lot of people who’ve never done any of the Story Modes before, than for instance, finding a team of only their peers. (regardless of level). I had the same frustrating experience carrying my own Guild mates through all of them, and these were people who regularly did the Statesman Trial back in City of Heroes. They weren’t new to end-game Raids. And then my Guild before that…. oh god, those were mostly WOW people … they couldn’t even beat TA!!

Maybe if Search & Rescue was on a much faster Cooldown I wouldn’t mind it so much… but I think most people who are basically needed as that 1 dungeon guide who gets a bunch of first-timers through it all (often times now by being the last one standing who soloes that last 1/3 of the bosses HP’s off) … really DO NOT get the reward commensurate with the task.

I think they really built Story Dungeon difficulty ALL WRONG… I think they should have scaled better and done so in several different ways.. Not just in allowing 2-8 players and scaling spawns to that team size, but ALSO fine-tuning the difficulty while you’re doing it based on how quickly your team accomplishes each phase of it. …and then increasing the rewards for how quickly it was done. And not “here’s a ton of silver” rewards, no … lots of crafting Mats to combat inflation, along with stuff like Thread, Coal lumps, Herbs and other things that Newbies really need that they currently have to waste their Laurels on to get any kind “care package” of…

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

A casual group will finish it because you spend half the instance literally sitting around on an airship doing nothing.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: kahzee.6042

kahzee.6042

Yes Arab story is insanely easy

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

A casual group will finish it because you spend half the instance literally sitting around on an airship doing nothing.

The problem for certain “casual”(really useless description) people is how long you end up having to sit around. Not everyone is able to set aside large chunks of time to deal with that sort of thing.

Posted by: Llyren.3904

Llyren.3904

Casual is not a synonym for bad, of course they can complete dungeons.

Casual players play a game, and it is fun, and they are having fun.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Looks like we get 50 silver for doing story dungeons after the patch.

Still no reason to ever do a story dungeon ever.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Yeah :\ …. that’s nothing.

I get 50 silver for spending 15 minutes picking rosemary…
Some guy who just watched a flipping tut on youtube makes that in 5…

Posted by: MagicalSilence.1837

MagicalSilence.1837

1g – 1.5 would be bit better considering some story modes can take a moment… like arah meh once a life time thing like many others.. just not worth the time and trouble.. unless its for DM title.

Desolution – Saesin Nyte & Xi Vixi – Simply Lovable Pug – Best Trebber EU

Posted by: Jademei.1278

Jademei.1278

This is still a problem. I don’t understand why the developers are so quiet on this. It has been a year (almost?) since this was brought up. That is an eternity in the world of mmos.
What fun is there in begging people to help with dungeons? That is the opposite of enjoyment.

I think a Looking For Group option would be great. At least it would make the process smoother, instead of having to ask random strangers passing by or spamming up the general chat.

As for rewards, I really have no idea. But the game needs a smoother way to find a group. Currently it’s horribly antiquated and not at all well designed.

How hard can it be to implement this kind of feature, for people who are expert at programming and implementing functions? It’s a cakewalk! Prioritize here please. Please focus some resources on getting this thing fixed and we can all go back to enjoying the game again.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Whats with all the necros recently.

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

This is still a problem. I don’t understand why the developers are so quiet on this. It has been a year (almost?) since this was brought up. That is an eternity in the world of mmos.
What fun is there in begging people to help with dungeons? That is the opposite of enjoyment.

I think a Looking For Group option would be great. At least it would make the process smoother, instead of having to ask random strangers passing by or spamming up the general chat.

As for rewards, I really have no idea. But the game needs a smoother way to find a group. Currently it’s horribly antiquated and not at all well designed.

How hard can it be to implement this kind of feature, for people who are expert at programming and implementing functions? It’s a cakewalk! Prioritize here please. Please focus some resources on getting this thing fixed and we can all go back to enjoying the game again.

If you’ve ever done a dungeon, you’ll see that “expert at programming” is not a match.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: Melfice.5091

Melfice.5091

Having red posts on the front page makes it feel like they still care and soothes the pain

Professional noob guardian

Posted by: coronaas.4362

coronaas.4362

Having red posts on the front page makes it feel like they still care and soothes the pain

I got really excited then realized this was from 11 months ago

The Big Bad Behr – Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/coronaas

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I think they should down scale Story Mode to solo mode, and then keep the other paths as they are.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I think they should down scale Story Mode to solo mode, and then keep the other paths as they are.

That…. That is smart

get it

Brazil

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

That would be amazing. I wouldn’t have to do arah story in extremely bad pugs every time i level another character to 80! Still need to do arah story 3 more times on new alts currently.

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

Posted by: MagicalSilence.1837

MagicalSilence.1837

That would be amazing. I wouldn’t have to do arah story in extremely bad pugs every time i level another character to 80! Still need to do arah story 3 more times on new alts currently.

Story mode’s are Easy as hell it’s a fact we all know very well but time consuming as probably mentioned many times. But dunno.. If they are going to add new items to craft precursor or armor.. might as well bound specific "X "amount of mats to specific dungeon story mode per day reward system i mean we already collect tokens from dungeons for gift.. might as well do story mode for that specific mats for the heck of it.

But.. meh i doubt they will do anything or maybe in half year… sorry Ive lost my faith into positive updates :l

Desolution – Saesin Nyte & Xi Vixi – Simply Lovable Pug – Best Trebber EU

(edited by MagicalSilence.1837)

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Arah story is terrible, no exceptions.

Brazil